Port Adelaide 2019

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2019

Postby MW » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:38 am

You gave and are giving up big coin for them...
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby LMA » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:05 am

MW wrote:You gave and are giving up big coin for them...

Coin that was going to Brendon Ah Chee, Logan Austin, Jarman Impey, Matthew Lobbe, Jackson Trengove and Aaron Young. Like I said Impey was the main loss. Remember Port were lauded by the experts for that trade period. It hasn't worked out, that's just the way it goes sometimes. We got it right the following year in the draft and when Rockliff and co move on in a few years we will be in a good position to retain our draftees from last year.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:10 am

LMA wrote:

Coin that was going to Brendon Ah Chee, Logan Austin, Jarman Impey, Matthew Lobbe, Jackson Trengove and Aaron Young. Like I said Impey was the main loss. Remember Port were lauded by the experts for that trade period. It hasn't worked out, that's just the way it goes sometimes. We got it right the following year in the draft and when Rockliff and co move on in a few years we will be in a good position to retain our draftees from last year.

Hombsch, O'Shea, Neade, Eddy....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby mots02 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:22 am

Booney wrote:
LMA wrote:

So you're saying that you swapped 10 average, cheaper players for 3 average expensive players? :-?
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 853 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby DOC » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:49 am

Booney wrote:
LMA wrote:

Irra.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Brodlach » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:00 am

LMA wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:Rockliff looks set to miss another chunk of the preseason.

Motlop - Massive fail
Rockliff - Fail
Watts - TBC

1 year before we pull the Rozee, Duursma, Butters coup our recruiters got it awfully wrong.

Rockliff and Motlop both have 2 more years on their deals

I suppose the saving grace for the recruiters is that we didn't give up too much to get them, Impey being the main loss.

Wingard?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:03 am

Brodlach wrote:
LMA wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:Rockliff looks set to miss another chunk of the preseason.

Motlop - Massive fail
Rockliff - Fail
Watts - TBC

1 year before we pull the Rozee, Duursma, Butters coup our recruiters got it awfully wrong.

Rockliff and Motlop both have 2 more years on their deals

I suppose the saving grace for the recruiters is that we didn't give up too much to get them, Impey being the main loss.

Wingard?

Wingard was the price we paid to get Burton and Duursma.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby DOC » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:38 pm

Port will play St Kilda in China Round 11.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:39 pm

Nice and comfy over in here if anyone wants to put their feet up and watch.

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:42 pm

Booney wrote:Nice and comfy over in here if anyone wants to put their feet up and watch.

I’ll just grab a cuppa first!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:45 pm

Booney wrote:Nice and comfy over in here if anyone wants to put their feet up and watch.

I reckon you blokes did the Hawks like a dinner over Wingard.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:03 pm

DOC wrote:
Shoulder tape is one of the most baffling practices in "modern football" and up there with the completely useless kinesiology tape.

I know a SANFL player, still playing this weekend, who has had multiple shoulder issues/surgeries and tapes his good shoulder so opposition players target that when bumping/tackling.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:06 pm

Dutchy wrote:
DOC wrote:
Shoulder tape is one of the most baffling practices in "modern football" and up there with the completely useless kinesiology tape.

I know a SANFL player, still playing this weekend, who has had multiple shoulder issues/surgeries and tapes his good shoulder so opposition players target that when bumping/tackling.

From within AFL circles, got told Carey was getting paid $80K to have both his shoulders taped in the late 90s at North.

They were fine at Adelaide....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:07 pm

Port Adelaide star Jack Watts has opened up about the tumultuous period in his life where two scandals in less than five months left him feeling like the ‘worst person on the planet’.

The 2008 No. 1 pick was forced to face the AFL integrity unit last October after explicit text messages were circulated, before a video of him snorting a white powder emerged in February.

After a difficult summer in South Australia where he struggled to get out of bed at times, the forward produced one of the best performances of his career against his old side Melbourne in Round 1.

Watts became emotional in a post-game interview with Geelong great Cameron Mooney on Fox Footy and drew widespread praise for his candidness.

But his season ended the following weekend when he broke his right leg and dislocated his ankle after his leg was trapped in a tackle against Carlton.

“When it is happening to you, you feel like the only person who has ever done it and you’re the only person who has ever been through something like that,” Watts told The Imperfects podcast on Wednesday.

“I felt like I was the worst person on the planet and no one else had ever done anything this bad.

“That is as tough as I’ve ever gone through and it still is to be honest. It is still pretty hard to get away from and just move on completely from all of that stuff.

“I’ve been fortunate enough to have had an amazing life, but in terms of feeling down in the dumps and depressed I’ve never really understood that until that couple of weeks.

“When it is you, you can’t really get that broader perspective. I had a lot of mates and family and stuff saying it will get better and people will forget about it eventually, but when it is you, you can’t see that happening.”

Watts was back in Melbourne staying with his best mate when the texting saga broke last off-season, turning his life upside down.

The oft-maligned forward barely left the house for the next week, but now thinks it was a turning point for him as a person.

“I was staying with my best mate back in Melbourne and his girlfriend when it all came out and I pretty much didn’t leave their house for a week unless it was to have a meeting with Port Adelaide or have a meeting with the AFL integrity department or have a meeting with my manager to discuss how we were going to handle this,” he said.

“I was pretty much on the couch breaking down in tears at random times feeling like it was never going to get any better, like I’m done for now.

“To be a shit person and for that to come out for anyone who is ever going to know me to see — any future employer or future partner or any future friend who is ever going to know they can find that out at any stage that they want and straight away have that image of me — you feel like there isn’t any hope.

“In the end it has been the best thing that has happened to me. It probably gave me a recalibration process of who I want to be.”

Just when Watts felt like he had emerged from the woods after a difficult few months, an old video from Oktoberfest emerged at the end of the pre-season.

Renowned mental health program, The Resilience Project, were at Port Adelaide not long after that when Watts broke down in front of Brisbane champion midfielder and senior assistant coach Michael Voss, forcing him off the training track

“Copping shit about being an average footy player, I guess I have always been able to have a broader view of the world, and if that’s the worst thing that ever happens to me and I’m not quite as good as people want me to be chasing a Sherrin around I can deal with that. But this most recent one is very different,” he said.

“I felt just like a terrible person. I probably had nothing to fall back on after that. I can remember that exact moment when Vossy came over and I couldn’t keep it together.”

Watts spent time working with The Resilience Project’s founding director, Hugh van Cuylenburg, after that and when his season was brought to a dramatic end in Round 2, he was better equipped to deal with it than he would have been in the past.

“The thing that felt so good after Round 1 was just the club sticking by me through all this. First of all getting me over and putting their faith in me, then letting them down and creating all this drama for the club and just to be able to give back a little bit that was my goal all pre-season and being able to do that in Round 1 was a really good feeling,” he said.

“Round 2 you can’t really do much about it. It was hard but I think I had made some pretty good changes that were ingrained by that stage.

“A lot of the time people going into rehab for the first time is a dark place and that’s when they might struggle, but I think for me having struggled a lot more than just having an injury, I almost saw it as part of improving as a person. I’ve been able to stay pretty positive throughout the whole thing.”

Watts underwent surgery at the end of August to remove the plate and screws that were inserted to repair his broken leg and dislocated ankle.

The Victorian is expected to be fit for the first round of 2020.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:59 pm

Seven Port Adelaide players who were unable to qualify for the club’s SANFL finals have undergone post-season surgeries.

Karl Amon and Steven Motlop both had minor knee tidy-ups, and are expected to be available for the start of pre-season.

Hamish Hartlett had an arthroscopy on his knee, with the vice-captain expected to return to training before the Christmas break.

Travis Boak, Zak Butters, Sam Gray and Tom Rockliff all had various shoulder operations, and are all expected to be available to return to training pre-Christmas, but will re-join the team running sessions before the start of pre-season.

Post-season surgery list:

Karl Amon - knee

Travis Boak - shoulder

Zak Butters - shoulder

Sam Gray - shoulder

Hamish Hartlett - knee

Steven Motlop - knee

Tom Rockliff - shoulder
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:58 am

OAK not going on as major sponsor of Port Adelaide? Was never going to make any inroads into FU share of the market. Probably chose the wrong club to get maximum exposure in SA
Worrying times, when do they start making a couple bucks out of China?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby The Bedge » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:18 pm

Booney i see Farrell named on a wing for the Magpies this weekend - could that be a possible option moving forward for the power?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:22 pm

The Bedge wrote:Booney i see Farrell named on a wing for the Magpies this weekend - could that be a possible option moving forward for the power?

I think he's perfect for an outside midfield / high half forward role, yes.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Port Adelaide 2019

Postby Jim05 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:44 pm

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/af ... 9188fd76b5

Interesting to see his views. Port’s financial state looks perilous. Won’t be long before the AFL come in with a big stick
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Spargo » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:28 pm

Jim05 wrote:https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/michelangelo-rucci/ruccis-roast-as-adelaide-crows-fix-miss-cashstrapped-port-adelaide-power-flies-under-radar/news-story/73e77bd6ee9da7b96f93769188fd76b5

Interesting to see his views. Port’s financial state looks perilous. Won’t be long before the AFL come in with a big stick

Paywall
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL