PDCA

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: PDCA 2016 - 2017

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:25 am

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:Those not introducing the policy are only delaying the inevitable. Will be advised for the next couple and then compulsory after that. It's how all slow large scale policy is implemented.

Let's be serious, there really isnt much need to introduce a policy - it's mandatory for kids to wear them, has been for years - in a few years time the old codgers will move on and the youth will come through and continue to wear their helmets.

Yeah absolutely there will be natural transition like you said but my understanding is from the report I read that the policy came into England because they were seeing a lot of injuries from juniors who had worn helmets all their junior cricket 'trialling' and taking the opportunity to not wear helmets at their first chance in senior cricket. Obviously the young lads still batted like they were wearing a helmet which saw an increase in injuries.

From the report this policy isn't about protecting the older folk, its about protecting the younger cricketers.

Then there is the obvious risk management against litigation if a injury was sustained. remembering now that any competition completing risk assessments has to assess batting as a 'high risk' maximum consequence 'death' since the tragic Phil Hughes event.

You cant risk assess some things as high level and then not have risk management plan in place.

TBH this has been a long time coming and they are starting their soft rollout of it.

If the 'oldies' cant move with the times maybe lawn bowls is a more appropriate sport for them. ;)
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Bedge » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:33 am

Cricket season now.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby whufc » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:40 pm

With footy season now finished im sure we will start to hear the rumours floating around player movements. Get them coming through:

Mick Corfield from Atco to One Tree Hill- will be a handy acquisition for them. Not a great technique but his record speak it's for itself, can bat and can hit a ball.

As we know Dylan McIver to Willaston, Mitch and Luke Dunn to follow.

Rose & Crown or one man in particular on a massive recruiting drive,

Dublin lost a few to Long Plains

Virginia have lost Shaun Lay to the tossers
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:04 am

whufc wrote:With footy season now finished im sure we will start to hear the rumours floating around player movements. Get them coming through:

Mick Corfield from Atco to One Tree Hill- will be a handy acquisition for them. Not a great technique but his record speak it's for itself, can bat and can hit a ball.

As we know Dylan McIver to Willaston, Mitch and Luke Dunn to follow.

Rose & Crown or one man in particular on a massive recruiting drive,

Dublin lost a few to Long Plains

Virginia have lost Shaun Lay to the tossers

One would think that Trent Payne will follow McIver, it's probably put the brakes on Johnny Owen heading out to the Blues.

There's a few trying to get some old heads back out to Eyre Royals, they'll have a couple of handy returns for sure, I'm sure they'd sooner be in Grade 3 to rebuild but nevertheless they'll be competitive in Grade 2.

The PDCA clubs really need to vote in 6 team grades.

I guess Smithfield will now stay in Grade 2 with the imminent Riverside debacle.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:09 am

My mail is Johnny Owen linked with a move to the Barossa.

Still filthy clubs chose to stick with 8 teams, I really do think a lot of decisions are based off ego, self interest and stubbornness.

Eyre Royals would need plenty of recruits to be a good side in G2 - they relied on really Keylock last year for most games.

Enfield will be pump.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:15 am

The Bedge wrote:My mail is Johnny Owen linked with a move to the Barossa.

Still filthy clubs chose to stick with 8 teams, I really do think a lot of decisions are based off ego, self interest and stubbornness.

Eyre Royals would need plenty of recruits to be a good side in G2 - they relied on really Keylock last year for most games.

Enfield will be pump.

Jamie looks set to return, BJ may have Jared play and if they can snare Russ and a Feltus part time then things can begin to look good, if Scotty could have some batsmen around him he'll dominate.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:24 am

Enfield will be pump.

I hadn't heard that about Johnny, I'm sure he'll still be at Smithfield with Beno's involvement.

Yeah, people don't like change and generally the clubs don't start having their meetings until after the PDCA AGM's meaning delegates have to vote there and then.

It needs to be a slow process, set the wheels in motion early in the season so it isn't a surprise, relegation/promotion isn't as high as a priority as it used to be, most clubs would prefer to languish in grades that they will be successful in, it brings money in on a Saturday night when you win.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:30 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Jamie looks set to return, BJ may have Jared play and if they can snare Russ and a Feltus part time then things can begin to look good, if Scotty could have some batsmen around him he'll dominate.

Jamie will play one game then injure himself or retire again.
Russell is more unlikely than not.
Matt Feltus won’t play.
Mick Feltus coming home to Enfield.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:38 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Enfield will be pump.

I hadn't heard that about Johnny, I'm sure he'll still be at Smithfield with Beno's involvement.

Yeah, people don't like change and generally the clubs don't start having their meetings until after the PDCA AGM's meaning delegates have to vote there and then.

It needs to be a slow process, set the wheels in motion early in the season so it isn't a surprise, relegation/promotion isn't as high as a priority as it used to be, most clubs would prefer to languish in grades that they will be successful in, it brings money in on a Saturday night when you win.

Agree about the 6 teams it needs to be a 'at the end of the 2020/21 season we will drop to six teams in each div and that means XXX placed teams from each div will drop.

That way the teams that are ultra serious about being in a high achieving div can make plans to recruit etc whilst those that aren't to fussed will go about business as usual.

6 teams is just inevitable, the longer they wait though the more teams that will be lost in the meantime.
whufc
Coach

Postby moriachi » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:35 pm

First game is when Bedgie? 12th?

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
moriachi

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:12 am

moriachi wrote:First game is when Bedgie? 12th?

Correct young pup.

Interested to see the fixture - we requested to drop our B grade from 3 to 4, but have been informed doesn’t look like there is enough 2 day sides for a 4th grade.

Slowly on the decline.. was only two years again we had 5x 2 day grades, now we have 3..
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:17 am

The Bedge wrote:
moriachi wrote:First game is when Bedgie? 12th?

Correct young pup.

Interested to see the fixture - we requested to drop our B grade from 3 to 4, but have been informed doesn’t look like there is enough 2 day sides for a 4th grade.

Slowly on the decline.. was only two years again we had 5x 2 day grades, now we have 3..

Would love the league to enforce a rule which means all clubs must have their A Grade in the 2 day comp before putting b/c/d grades in one day comps.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:58 am

whufc wrote:
Would love the league to enforce a rule which means all clubs must have their A Grade in the 2 day comp before putting b/c/d grades in one day comps.

Could've got away with it a few years ago, can't nowadays, unfortunately no matter what the exec try to enforce it will only result in clubs closing their doors.

In a perfect world you are right but the PDCA have to protect the clubs interests.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:06 am

What is the appeal of two day cricket?

It's not a test match. It's not a four day game. There's nothing sacred about it. Usually there is only one innings per team unless one team is garbage. It's basically a long one dayer played across two days.

Seems mostly like the ones who love two day cricket are the batters who block the living shit out of the ball and want to do that to their heart's content for hours. Or the military medium pace trundler whose idea of a good day of cricket is setting up from one end and bowling unchanged.

Bat every week. Only spend half days in the field. Sign me up. But only the lower graders get to enjoy this cricketing utopia.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:58 am

For me it’s always been that almost guaranteed you will get a chance to have a bat and a bowl, yes there is also the element of being able to work into an innings but it also the pride knowing you played the best bowler out of the attack. Not just took on spud 4/5/6 bowlers because the gun couldn’t bowl anymore. Always rated my big two day innings over the one day innings I played.

Having captained sides one dayers especially 40 overs are really difficult to get everyone involved especially at senior level where winning is still a top priority.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:31 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:What is the appeal of two day cricket?

It's dying a slow death anyway, it'll all be limited overs stuff soon.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:36 pm

whufc wrote:Having captained sides one dayers especially 40 overs are really difficult to get everyone involved especially at senior level where winning is still a top priority.

Actually I find it's almost the complete opposite in the top grades - two day cricket in the top grade your best bowlers bowl lengthy spells and you continue to rest and rotate them, where as in 40 over cricket you need to use 5 bowlers. Also generally in the higher grades your players have roles to play - the bats bat and the bowlers bowl, in the lower LO grades your better players do both, that's where the lack of involvement comes in.

Last year I had 2 day games where i only used 3 or 4 bowlers for the day.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:41 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:Having captained sides one dayers especially 40 overs are really difficult to get everyone involved especially at senior level where winning is still a top priority.

Actually I find it's almost the complete opposite in the top grades - two day cricket in the top grade your best bowlers bowl lengthy spells and you continue to rest and rotate them, where as in 40 over cricket you need to use 5 bowlers. Also generally in the higher grades your players have roles to play - the bats bat and the bowlers bowl, in the lower LO grades your better players do both, that's where the lack of involvement comes in.

Last year I had 2 day games where i only used 3 or 4 bowlers for the day.

Probably because I generally played in middle of the road sides. Very rare if we bowled 50-60 overs we would have only used 4 bowlers.

What I found in the one dayers is that if your opening paid batted the first ten overs (which was generally the goal and then lift the aggression from there) it was very rare you lost more than 6-7 wickets and even then that was because blokes had to come in and tee off from ball one with only 5-6 overs left (which imo is hardly batting)

In most teams I played 2 off your top 5 batsmen were also 2 of your best bowlers so in the end you had 3,4,5 blokes who didn't get to do much more than a bowl a couple of overs or bat for a couple of overs which is hardly 'playing' imo.

Bowling wise you might use five bowlers but the real good bowlers hate it because it wasn't enough.

Maybe that because I have always been an opener and had time to get in and really bat, but I have struggled in my new role coming in a 7-8 with never anymore than 5-8 overs left. Doesn't really feel like batting to me.

I guess we all have different levels of what we class 'playing'
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:56 pm

We had a bloke that would fire all his team mates out if it looked like he wasn't gonna get a bat, simple solution, we just opened him, he'd be out in the first couple of overs muttering how much the other team were cheats as he'd come off and then he'd rip the pads off and go umpire the rest of the dig.......................and give nothing.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:26 pm

We play 45 over games in the Stanley Association and been a country side we cant afford to have players not getting a hit or a bowl.

We sat down at the start of the year over a few beers and just said look if there is some guys getting a bowl then that will be a bit of a deal breaker when creating a batting line up. The skip asked if I minded batting 8 as there was two blokes around the same level as me who definitely wouldn't get a bowl and I was always going to bowl first change. There were a couple others in a similar boat to me.

Obviously I was OK with this, it was handled really well and it was one of the happiest teams I have ever played in.
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps