Glenelg V Port Grand Final

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Glenelg V Port Grand Final

Postby therisingblues » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:45 am

LMA wrote:
therisingblues wrote:
LMA wrote:Anyway off to the ground soon. Have a good day all, GO PORT!

I'm not equipped with all of your research skills, so I'm just going to ask straight out, is that the first time you've cheered the Magpies this year?

I don't think so, maybe? I cheer Port. Is that your first post not mentioning 'corporate' this year?

I get it!
Because Port is a corporate entity masquerading as the Magpies, you haven't cheered them all year, and I can't stop talking about it!
;)
P.S. Well done Bays! After being baited by everyone all year for being favourites, they delivered despite the pressure.
Congratulations!
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:27 am

The Bedge wrote:looking like a side that couldn’t care what the outcome is.

Making that observation from the outside with no knowledge of how the players think or feel is pretty ordinary.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby VALE PARK » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:35 am

Obviously every player on a footy field do their best in a GF.
However,
how many of those Power players yesterday actually have a real connection with the old Magpies heart?
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:50 am

VALE PARK wrote:Obviously every player on a footy field do their best in a GF.
However,
how many of those Power players yesterday actually have a real connection with the old Magpies heart?

Like White, Partington, Reynolds and Motlop etc are with Glenelg? It's a ridiculous assertion.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:52 am

Booney wrote:

Making that observation from the outside with no knowledge of how the players think or feel is pretty ordinary.

How do you feel Boon? Ask the man himself. You don the jumper you are out there to win every match, let alone a Grand Final.

regards,

REB
Last edited by Rik E Boy on Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:52 am

Ack! Quoted myself! :oops:
Last edited by Rik E Boy on Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:55 am

Booney wrote:It's the default position for them mate. They argue we are/aren't the PAFC when they choose ( noting we're a new club but we've lost our last 6 GF's at Adelaide Oval - yes, chuckle with me ) instead of highlighting how good the Bays have been all year and how good they were yesterday.

That works both ways - A lot of Port supporters spent the week telling everyone how they've always been the best, are best again this year, the Bays are their Bunny's, we kept the SANFL afloat, if we lose it will only be because the SANFL don't want us to win it etc. Nuffies on both sides of the fence mate.

I think in the main (but certainly not everyone) most SANFL fans look at the Bays of this year and yesterday and say - Thats how we need to be. Play like that and we can beat anyone.

Norwood, Sturt and now the Bays have shown the AFL side's are far from unbeatable in the big one if you're good enough. Given the conditions and make up of sides in the comp is beyond control of the clubs, they need to forget about it and focus on what they can control, and thats working towards being good enough.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Dogs64 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:57 am

Jim05 wrote:
RB wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Growing up loved watching the Magpies, played with aggression and ticker - none of these blokes out there play for the jumper or the club.

I believe one Steve Summerton expressed similar sentiments.

Did he backflip on those comments aswell

More of a delete of his post. Probably being told he'd be captain, that it was their best chance of winning a premiership in 15 years and he'd be paid a large portion of their contrived "salary cap" eased his negative sentiments.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 177 times

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:58 am

Rik E Boy wrote:
Booney wrote:

How do you feel Boon? Ask the man himself.

regards,

REB

Me? I feel like my side has lost a Grand final.

Does it feel the same as it once did? No, it doesn't, nobody could come near me after you lot beat us in '97 ( we would have had another 6 in a row! ) but I feel like what might have been this morning.

Do I think the players go out there not caring what the outcome is? I can't believe anyone would think they do. How could you go into a sporting arena as combative as a Aussie Rules Grand Final at any level not caring what the outcome is?

Utter tripe.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Spargo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:59 am

I am sporting the best hangover of my life.
I apologise if I didn’t hug any of you yesterday at the ground post match or back at The Bay, you are one of the few I missed.
20 minute mark of the last qtr I had tears streaming down my face. It just all came out, years of suffering, disappointments & what ifs. My girls (wearing Dad’s 80’s duffle coat & cheer squad jacket) are only 9 & 6 and didn’t understand why Dad was crying when he should be happy. My wife knew.
But sharing it with my old man & brother, who I go to the footy with, week in, week out, was the most special part. The group hug in time on is something I’ll never ever forget.
Unbelievably proud of how our blokes attacked the contest yesterday. Everyone put their bodies on the line when it was their turn.
Thank you so much to Mark Stone, you have turned my club around.
Special mention to@Booney for the quick catch up pregame & then the congratulatory text - #respect

The Bay Oval was heaving last night, people every where. I’m just so happy for the diehards I see every week who stand in the same place to watch the game or the same place in the club. For nearly 40 years I’ve seen your faces, always smiled or said g’day to, but never formally met you. I hope yesterday brought you as much joy as it did to me. I couldn’t be happier right now.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:00 pm

Worst SANFL loss for me was that 96 Prelim when Hodges sunk us from the boundary line. I knew he wasn't going to miss that and it wasn't an easy shot. I went with Babs and Whitey and I was so clearly gutted they didn't even sink the boot in.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:06 pm

Booney wrote:
LMA wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:The powers first sanfl flag still eludes them.

In all seriousness. They were bullied today. If hats the depth for the power I’d be very concerned as a port fan. They were soft.

What about a bit of respect to the SANFL clubs for being formidable opposition. Look around the country's state leagues and see the domination of AFL listed reserves sides there. If I was a player of these clubs I would be sickened by the disregard some of you blokes give them. Believe!

It's the default position for them mate. They argue we are/aren't the PAFC when they choose ( noting we're a new club but we've lost our last 6 GF's at Adelaide Oval - yes, chuckle with me ) instead of highlighting how good the Bays have been all year and how good they were yesterday.

Last 8 at Adelaide Oval.
It goes Sturt, Sturt, Sturt, North, North, Norwood, Sturt and now Glenelg.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby JK » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:06 pm

Spargo wrote:I am sporting the best hangover of my life.
I apologise if I didn’t hug any of you yesterday at the ground post match or back at The Bay, you are one of the few I missed.
20 minute mark of the last qtr I had tears streaming down my face. It just all came out, years of suffering, disappointments & what ifs. My girls (wearing Dad’s 80’s duffle coat & cheer squad jacket) are only 9 & 6 and didn’t understand why Dad was crying when he should be happy. My wife knew.
But sharing it with my old man & brother, who I go to the footy with, week in, week out, was the most special part. The group hug in time on is something I’ll never ever forget.
Unbelievably proud of how our blokes attacked the contest yesterday. Everyone put their bodies on the line when it was their turn.
Special mention to@Booney for the quick catch up pregame & then the congratulatory text - #respect

The Bay Oval was heaving last night, people every where. I’m just so happy for the diehards I see every week who stand in the same place to watch the game or the same place in the club. For nearly 40 years I’ve seen your faces, always smiled or said g’day to, but never formally met you. I hope yesterday brought you as much joy as it did to me. I couldn’t be happier right now.

Thats awesome mate, the joys that only sport can bring huh? Whilst it's not panned out how you would have hoped (over time), it's like every single one of those losses over a drought period get's celebrated when you finally break though, and celebrating with close mates, family or even strangers that you see turn up week in and week out is an incredibly special moment!!
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:07 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Worst SANFL loss for me was that 96 Prelim when Hodges sunk us from the boundary line. I knew he wasn't going to miss that and it wasn't an easy shot. I went with Babs and Whitey and I was so clearly gutted they didn't even sink the boot in.

regards,

REB

Why Richard .. Why would you bring this up???? :shock:
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:11 pm

Spargo wrote:I am sporting the best hangover of my life.

I was spoiled in my formative years, I know it, so sitting there in 2007 watching the tears stream down the faces of Cats fans who had waited 40+ years made my memories feel better.

The same goes for you lot today, I'd rather it be me celebrating and I'd rather you not be celebrating at my expense but anyone who has stuck something out for 30+ years to finally get some reward for effort then I'm ok with them having some good feels about their club.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:12 pm

JK wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:Worst SANFL loss for me was that 96 Prelim when Hodges sunk us from the boundary line. I knew he wasn't going to miss that and it wasn't an easy shot. I went with Babs and Whitey and I was so clearly gutted they didn't even sink the boot in.

regards,

REB

It was high and it was never missing. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:20 pm

Booney wrote:
JK wrote:

regards,

REB

Im so glad I gave you a ticket to the GF now :D
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:23 pm

JK wrote:
Booney wrote:
JK wrote:

regards,

REB

Im so glad I gave you a ticket to the GF now :D

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby RB » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:28 pm

Booney wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:
Booney wrote:

How do you feel Boon? Ask the man himself.

regards,

REB

Me? I feel like my side has lost a Grand final.

Does it feel the same as it once did? No, it doesn't, nobody could come near me after you lot beat us in '97 ( we would have had another 6 in a row! ) but I feel like what might have been this morning.

Do I think the players go out there not caring what the outcome is? I can't believe anyone would think they do. How could you go into a sporting arena as combative as a Aussie Rules Grand Final at any level not caring what the outcome is?

Utter tripe.
I think the criticism is not so much that the players aren't trying, but merely that they lack the passion of their opponents who receive relatively minimal compensation for the time they give up.

It's not a criticism of the players so much as a criticism of a system that pits a team whose sole focus is winning the comp with a team whose sole focus is development and ultimately winning a different comp.

The term 'bruise-free football' has often been bandied about in regards to the Power Reserves, and their finals performances have been contrasted with those of the 'Old Magpies' who famously brought a whole new level of hardness come September.

It's not hard to imagine why the Glenelg side seemingly wanted it more.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:40 pm

Compensation? A premiership medal. Pretty good recompense.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL