PDCA

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: PDCA 2016 - 2017

Postby The Bedge » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:39 pm

whufc wrote:The skip asked if I minded batting 8 as there was two blokes around the same level as me who definitely wouldn't get a bowl and I was always going to bowl first change. There were a couple others in a similar boat to me.

Yeah it's one reason why i've tried to bat 9-11 over the past half dozens seasons - one is for red ink haha, the other is coz people want to feel like they have a part to play, and i dont care if i dont bat if it keeps them happier.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:46 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:The skip asked if I minded batting 8 as there was two blokes around the same level as me who definitely wouldn't get a bowl and I was always going to bowl first change. There were a couple others in a similar boat to me.

Yeah it's one reason why i've tried to bat 9-11 over the past half dozens seasons - one is for red ink haha, the other is coz people want to feel like they have a part to play, and i dont care if i dont bat if it keeps them happier.

That's what I had to do in my last couple of years of playing, our A's had too many all-rounders so we had to put some back in the B's and then I'd just captain the A's and hang about in the slips and sledge. I'd have a bowl if I got pissed off but was happy to just help out and bat down near the bottom, it was good when the game was close and I got a hit.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:47 pm

The Bedge wrote:

Yeah its a great attitude and just demands respect.

The fact the captain had the balls to talk to me about it and give me the heads up that was the plan it meant i was never going to spit the dummy about it.

Our captain was also the first to drop himself down the order (despite being an ex a grade district top order batter) when a game was won whether that was chasing an easy target or we were batting first and had already got a massive score.

As you said the quickest way to lose a player is if they dont feel they have a role in the side. The side i played in last year was probably the first team i have played in where every player either batted in the top 7 or bowled in the top 4 and we all had roles. Made for a very enjoyable season and no coincidence we won a flag.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:55 pm

whufc wrote:
Yeah its a great attitude and just demands respect.

The fact the captain had the balls to talk to me about it and give me the heads up that was the plan it meant i was never going to spit the dummy about it.

Our captain was also the first to drop himself down the order (despite being an ex a grade district top order batter) when a game was won whether that was chasing an easy target or we were batting first and had already got a massive score.

As you said the quickest way to lose a player is if they dont feel they have a role in the side. The side i played in last year was probably the first team i have played in where every player either batted in the top 7 or bowled in the top 4 and we all had roles. Made for a very enjoyable season and no coincidence we won a flag.

You can still mix it around as there's never a guarantee that 4 or 5 will get a bat.

You just have to make the most of the games that you are in control of, give someone a bowl who generally doesn't or chuck someone up the order and tell them to go the slap.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:03 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:You just have to make the most of the games that you are in control of, give someone a bowl who generally doesn't or chuck someone up the order and tell them to go the slap.

Interesting how people respond when they feel included - last game last season i went down and captained our B grade with basically a side of "left overs" and just enjoy the game because no one else thought they could manage it and also to try and get the right results in other grades - it was suprising that when the side felt there was an opportunity to win the game, they were happy to move away from the planned "give everyone a go" tactic and try to win if it meant they didn't get as much of a go.

End of the game, we lost but many of them felt it was one of the more enjoyable games they've played in a long time - even if they only got one over.

*edit* - said game.. just for a bit of me me me time :P :lol:

http://www.euccc.sa.cricket.com.au/comm ... ityID=5605
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:07 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:You just have to make the most of the games that you are in control of, give someone a bowl who generally doesn't or chuck someone up the order and tell them to go the slap.

Interesting how people respond when they feel included - last game last season i went down and captained our B grade with basically a side of "left overs" and just enjoy the game because no one else thought they could manage it and also to try and get the right results in other grades - it was suprising that when the side felt there was an opportunity to win the game, they were happy to move away from the planned "give everyone a go" tactic and try to win if it meant they didn't get as much of a go.

End of the game, we lost but many of them felt it was one of the more enjoyable games they've played in a long time - even if they only got one over.

*edit* - said game.. just for a bit of me me me time :P :lol:

http://www.euccc.sa.cricket.com.au/comm ... ityID=5605

Did R.Turner have a hot missus?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:25 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Did R.Turner have a hot missus?

:lol: well maybe back in the 70's.

Rob is Enfield royalty - 484 games, first season back in 63/64 and the son of the great Gordon Turner.

33yrs as Chairman, 18yrs as Secretary, 10yrs as Treasurer before that.. C&CCA life member and all round good guy.

His grandfather was a founding member of the club and his dad the greatest batsman to play at the club.

I tried to make him bowl that day but he flat out refused. :(
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:46 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Did R.Turner have a hot missus?

:lol: well maybe back in the 70's.

Rob is Enfield royalty - 484 games, first season back in 63/64 and the son of the great Gordon Turner.

33yrs as Chairman, 18yrs as Secretary, 10yrs as Treasurer before that.. C&CCA life member and all round good guy.

His grandfather was a founding member of the club and his dad the greatest batsman to play at the club.

I tried to make him bowl that day but he flat out refused. :(

:lol: :lol:

I had to ask.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby moriachi » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:11 pm

The Bedge wrote:
moriachi wrote:First game is when Bedgie? 12th?

Correct young pup.

Interested to see the fixture - we requested to drop our B grade from 3 to 4, but have been informed doesn’t look like there is enough 2 day sides for a 4th grade.

Slowly on the decline.. was only two years again we had 5x 2 day grades, now we have 3..
Cheers big ears

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
moriachi

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby Eggy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:32 am

The Bedge wrote:

Some people good enough to keep the red ink from being an opener.!!!
Eggy
Rookie

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:01 am

Eggy wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

Some people good enough to keep the red ink from being an opener.!!!

Especially in Grand Finals/Semi Finals anytime of the year really..............................thanks for the oppurtuntity.

http://pdca.sa.cricket.com.au/common/pa ... ityID=1988

whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:57 am

whufc wrote:Especially in Grand Finals/Semi Finals anytime of the year really..............................thanks for the oppurtuntity.

With the exception of the 1st one, i wouldn't be bragging about beating up on those bowling attack. ;)
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:02 am

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:Especially in Grand Finals/Semi Finals anytime of the year really..............................thanks for the oppurtuntity.

With the exception of the 1st one, i wouldn't be bragging about beating up on those bowling attack. ;)

Let me have one minute of time in the sunshine.

In fairness the Parafield Gardens one with Curyer, Watson and Kerley was better than most of the higher grade attacks that. I made a duck the next week playing against Gardens in grade 2 getting out to Hully. :D :D
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:16 am

This was the best win I've been a part of, the ground was ridiculous because of too much soccer on it, I went down to field a ball correctly at long off as it rolled towards me only to have it bounce up a foot away from me and skoot past my ear.

My last game here, was able to last long enough to bat with my son and my daughter.

Yeah, I whuffed that one a bit.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:23 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:My last game here, was able to last long enough to bat with my son and my daughter.

Shown up with the ball by the young fella i see ;)
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:29 am

The Bedge wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:My last game here, was able to last long enough to bat with my son and my daughter.

Shown up with the ball by the young fella i see ;)

I didn't bowl.

I did a driver chasing a ball to the boundary :lol: :lol:
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:59 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:This was the best win I've been a part of, the ground was ridiculous because of too much soccer on it, I went down to field a ball correctly at long off as it rolled towards me only to have it bounce up a foot away from me and skoot past my ear.

My last game here, was able to last long enough to bat with my son and my daughter.

Raed Hannun is a gun!
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby whufc » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:46 am

BoundaryRider84 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:This was the best win I've been a part of, the ground was ridiculous because of too much soccer on it, I went down to field a ball correctly at long off as it rolled towards me only to have it bounce up a foot away from me and skoot past my ear.

Raed Hannun is a gun!

Raed had been playing for Orrorroo in the Rocky River competition a couple of years ago. I tried to get him to make the 45 drive South to Sevenhill for a hit but couldnt get him across the line.

Not sure where or what he is up to these days though.
whufc
Coach

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:23 am

whufc wrote:
BoundaryRider84 wrote:

Raed Hannun is a gun!

Raed had been playing for Orrorroo in the Rocky River competition a couple of years ago. I tried to get him to make the 45 drive South to Sevenhill for a hit but couldnt get him across the line.

Not sure where or what he is up to these days though.

In the police force now, still plays at Freeling in the Barossa comp. Still makes tons for fun
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby whufc » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:49 am

Yeah his move was to Orroroo was because of his work in the police force. Obviously moved back down to the city. Good to hear he is still playing.
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps