Glenelg V Port Grand Final

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Glenelg V Port Grand Final

Postby Jim05 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:11 am

Alex wrote:The sooner the connection between Port power and Port Magpies is dissolved the better. Nobody actually likes how it is now and the proof is there that it hasn't done anything to help the AFL Port Adelaide team. Adelaide crows reserves to piss off and a non power affiliated magpies to resume. The SANFL has turned into scripted WWE wrestling type sport where the magpies are the heel, allowed only to be competitive but never win the title. The rigged umpiring against the AFL teams is beyond comical.

Port chose to go to a bigger and better comp, there should be no remnants of the Magpies left in the SANFL.
Send Port and the Crows to the VFL to do as they please and the SANFL can become an 8 team comp.
More than happy for the umpires to screw over the AFL sides for the greater good of the comp.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re: Glenelg V Port Grand Final

Postby Groucho » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:55 am

nwdfanparade wrote:I prefer this chimney

Photo109.jpg

addendum
On Ch9 news they had a segment from the West End chimney unveiling showing Lachie Hosie got a premiership medal even though he left Glenelg in the mid-season draft.

Garry McIntosh was given a Premiership medal after the 1997 Grand Final but had to return it because only players who participate in the Grand Final receive a Premiership medal. Lachie Hosie should not keep the medal he received and return it.

I think you will find that the medals presented on the oval and any at the chimney ceremony aren't the real premiership medals. They are only for show, so the players have something presented on the day.

The real and valuable i.e. worth quite a bit of money medals are presented at a League dinner later in the year.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby therisingblues » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:29 am

Jim05 wrote:
Alex wrote:The sooner the connection between Port power and Port Magpies is dissolved the better. Nobody actually likes how it is now and the proof is there that it hasn't done anything to help the AFL Port Adelaide team. Adelaide crows reserves to piss off and a non power affiliated magpies to resume. The SANFL has turned into scripted WWE wrestling type sport where the magpies are the heel, allowed only to be competitive but never win the title. The rigged umpiring against the AFL teams is beyond comical.

Port chose to go to a bigger and better comp, there should be no remnants of the Magpies left in the SANFL.
Send Port and the Crows to the VFL to do as they please and the SANFL can become an 8 team comp.
More than happy for the umpires to screw over the AFL sides for the greater good of the comp.

Very unfair on those Magpies that chose to remain Magpies
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Dogs64 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:30 am

LMA wrote:Do they blast off the paint from the previous year or paint over it? Would be a few thousand microns of black and white paint up the top if it's the latter :D

Just might need archeological expertise to find it. ;)
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 177 times

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:32 am

Jim05 wrote:

Port wanted to leave holus-bolus, the SANFL demanded we keep a presence in the SANFL, they knew they needed us.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:35 am

When the AFL reserves were proposed the SANFL should have given Adelaide half of Port's recruiting zones, made them find a home base, set up SANFL reserves and U18's and become another club competing in the SANFL. That way a limit of 10, 12, 14, whatever you want AFL listed players in the league side and I'd think most SANFL fans would have had more of a chance of accepting that than the current set up.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:42 am

Booney wrote:When the AFL reserves were proposed the SANFL should have given Adelaide half of Port's recruiting zones, made them find a home base, set up SANFL reserves and U18's and become another club competing in the SANFL. That way a limit of 10, 12, 14, whatever you want AFL listed players in the league side and I'd think most SANFL fans would have had more of a chance of accepting that than the current set up.

I could live with that.

But the clubs wouldn't get their Judas money and vote against it anyway.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:53 am

Booney wrote:When the AFL reserves were proposed the SANFL should have given Adelaide half of Port's recruiting zones, made them find a home base, set up SANFL reserves and U18's and become another club competing in the SANFL. That way a limit of 10, 12, 14, whatever you want AFL listed players in the league side and I'd think most SANFL fans would have had more of a chance of accepting that than the current set up.

So Crows and Port would have run Auskick, school footy, female footy, u13, u14, u15 development squads and then u16/u18/reserve teams?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:06 am

Chris Curran playing for Renmark next year I see. Handy recruit for them.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Alex » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:39 am

daysofourlives wrote:

:D :D :D
Pfft just piss off all together, don't want you in the comp in any shape or form.

The way Port carry on is like the jealous little brother towards the Crows and the SANFL. Its very much like the way South Australians carry on against anything Victorian.

I love the SANFL and don't care one way or the other about the Crows.
Alex

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby therisingblues » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:26 pm

If you remember correctly, the overwhelming majority of the state was vehemently opposed to joining the AFL
This was evident in the various polls run by the News and Advertiser at the time.
When the Crows eventually joined, part of their image was as some sort of shield protecting the SANFL from the continued pillaging by VFL clubs. In practice there was a moratorium on the recruitment of SA players, any SANFL players selected by the Crows was made available by their club of origin when not playing for the Crows, former Croweaters that'd previously left SA returned, the Crows set up a mini draft for players drafted from interstate to be selected by SANFL sides when not playing AFL, etc.
Back then, the fact that the Crows played the role of protector made them more palatable to a parochial SA football community. A direct entry of their reserves side in the SANFL would have been a disaster from the start, and the SANFL would be even further advanced down our current path of slow decay
EDIT: Whoops, I just read your post again Booney, and realised that I mis-read it the first time. My reply doesn't quite fit the post that I've quoted.
Last edited by therisingblues on Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby am Bays » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:10 pm

"Woke up this morning from the strangest dream,
I was in the biggest army the world has ever seen,
We were marching as one
On the road to the holy grail...."

Tell me it's not a dream!!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:21 pm

Not sure you watch much wrestling!!! Heels are some of the best world champions ever and are good for business!!! people pay to see them lose it...

Also if you think Port were unfairly treated on Sunday, you clearly didn't watch the game sunday. Port were outworked across every single line. Poor decision making and panicked for most of the day with ball in hand
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby nwdfanparade » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:32 pm

Groucho wrote:
nwdfanparade wrote:I prefer this chimney

Photo109.jpg

addendum
On Ch9 news they had a segment from the West End chimney unveiling showing Lachie Hosie got a premiership medal even though he left Glenelg in the mid-season draft.

Garry McIntosh was given a Premiership medal after the 1997 Grand Final but had to return it because only players who participate in the Grand Final receive a Premiership medal. Lachie Hosie should not keep the medal he received and return it.

I think you will find that the medals presented on the oval and any at the chimney ceremony aren't the real premiership medals. They are only for show, so the players have something presented on the day.

The real and valuable i.e. worth quite a bit of money medals are presented at a League dinner later in the year.

He still shouldn't get one because he didn't play in the Grand Final.

Its my understanding that the Premiership medal presented after the GF are not inscribed with the GF info but the inscribing is done later and these are the Premiership medal that are kept by the player and ONLY players who played in the GF.
nwdfanparade
Under 18s

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 145 times

Postby whufc » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:35 pm

If Colville can get one pretty every one including the drink steward should as well.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby LMA » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:56 pm

Jim05 wrote:

I feel like we should have a seperate thread to discuss this, a thread capable of holding 400+ pages of posts
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby RB » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:00 pm

whufc wrote:If Colville can get one pretty every one including the drink steward should as well.
If the drink stewart was the injured captain who'd played almost every game for the year and 200+ over his career then your analogy would make sense.

Not that I think players who didn't play in the GF should get a medal btw.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Alex » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:17 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Thank you, you get it
Alex

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:26 pm

Alex wrote:
therisingblues wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Thank you, you get it

There’s a few of us that get it, unfortunately it is only a few and it will never happen.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Brett » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:50 pm

RB wrote:
whufc wrote:If Colville can get one pretty every one including the drink steward should as well.
If the drink stewart was the injured captain who'd played almost every game for the year and 200+ over his career then your analogy would make sense.

Not that I think players who didn't play in the GF should get a medal btw.

Did Stewart get one ?
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL