The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby bulldogproud » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:46 pm

Ronnie wrote:Koch your SANFL side has made 3 Grand Finals in the last 6 years. Hardly struggle town. It's part of feeding the flock with this victim mentality that is too well nurtured to be healthy or remotely accurate.

How many Grand Finals did Port Adelaide make in the 6 years prior to the current format? Actually, how many Grand Finals did they make since the year 2000 prior to the current format? That may sort of indicate how they have benefitted from this format.
Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby nwdfanparade » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:22 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
Ronnie wrote:Koch your SANFL side has made 3 Grand Finals in the last 6 years. Hardly struggle town. It's part of feeding the flock with this victim mentality that is too well nurtured to be healthy or remotely accurate.

How many Grand Finals did Port Adelaide make in the 6 years prior to the current format? Actually, how many Grand Finals did they make since the year 2000 prior to the current format? That may sort of indicate how they have benefitted from this format.
Cheers

Premiership placings for all club between 1994 to 2003 (dont have 2004 onwards unfortunately)

Scan.jpg
Scan.jpg (44.76 KiB) Viewed 4278 times
nwdfanparade
Under 18s

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 145 times

Postby StrayDog » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:41 pm

Three GFs, 11 point average deficit, finishing within a straight kick in two of them, one of those with more scoring shots.

That's okay though, it's not like they actually added to their Reserves (sorry, Sairnfull) flag tally or anything.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:31 am

Interesting article on Josh Scott, have a think how his week leading up the GF was compared to his opponent -

Less than 12 hours after Glenelg’s preliminary final triumph over Adelaide, gun Tigers forward Josh Scott was back on the tools hard at work.

There was line marking to be done and Scott had to be on the job early. His boss gave him a few extra minutes sleep as reward for the victory, so didn’t pick him up until 3.30am for the drive to Victor Harbor.

The Tigers had not won a flag for 33 years. They hadn’t even contested the finals since 2011.

In seven days, Scott would be on the big stage at Adelaide Oval in front of 40,000 fans hoping to snap the premiership drought against bitter enemy Port Adelaide.

That challenge, and any rehab on his sore body, had to wait, however, as Scott went about his lot marking lines to earn a pay packet. Four more days of work in the sun followed, while there were also the training sessions to prepare for an assault on the season finale.

“After the win over Adelaide I was thinking ‘how good is this’ and the boss called and said he would pick me up at 3.30am,” Scott said.

“I’d started a new job line marking and it was a new business so we had to work hard to get clients onside. I worked every day in the week of the grand final, pretty big days.

“We mark roads, carparks, basketball courts, anything. But the boss had been lenient with my time during the season, especially with my arm injury.”

Just to be playing in the title decider was an achievement in itself for Scott, having feared his season was over in August when another small fracture was discovered in his arm.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby LMA » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:08 am

I think he would of had a clear mind, a good distraction from thinking about a big game, Sunday would of came around just like that. His opponent would of been thinking of footy 24/7, sipping coffees, havin a punt, watching powerpoints, lounging around watching the clock. That's of course if his opponent wasn't a top up player who might of been line-marking too.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby tipper » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:19 am

LMA wrote:I think he would of had a clear mind, a good distraction from thinking about a big game, Sunday would of came around just like that. His opponent would of been thinking of footy 24/7, sipping coffees, havin a punt, watching powerpoints, lounging around watching the clock. That's of course if his opponent wasn't a top up player who might of been line-marking too.

lol. if Josh's week leading up to the grand final was so much better for preperation i look forward to the crows and power getting all of their players day jobs out in the sun all week next season, instead of all of the rehab and training they do.
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby westcoastpanther » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:28 am

LMA wrote:I think he would of had a clear mind, a good distraction from thinking about a big game, Sunday would of came around just like that. His opponent would of been thinking of footy 24/7, sipping coffees, havin a punt, watching powerpoints, lounging around watching the clock. That's of course if his opponent wasn't a top up player who might of been line-marking too.

You can't fix stupid....
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby LMA » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:30 am

westcoastpanther wrote:

You can't fix stupid....

Nor can you stop a quivering lower lip once it gets going
LMA
Coach

Postby westcoastpanther » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:32 am

LMA wrote:
westcoastpanther wrote:

You can't fix stupid....

Nor can you stop a quivering lower lip once it gets going

Wow, you win, baked me
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby LMA » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:34 am

tipper wrote:

lol. if Josh's week leading up to the grand final was so much better for preperation i look forward to the crows and power getting all of their players day jobs out in the sun all week next season, instead of all of the rehab and training they do.

They don't train that much, you can't teach talent either.
LMA
Coach

Postby JK » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:53 pm

From what I'm told, one issue that is being driven by the AFL clubs' presence, is that players of SANFL-only clubs are wanting greater remuneration under the reasoning of doing virtually as much work as the AFL listed players.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Dutchy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:27 pm

JK wrote:From what I'm told, one issue that is being driven by the AFL clubs' presence, is that players of SANFL-only clubs are wanting greater remuneration under the reasoning of doing virtually as much work as the AFL listed players.

Or in Glenelg's case, be better players
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby JK » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:37 pm

Dutchy wrote:
JK wrote:From what I'm told, one issue that is being driven by the AFL clubs' presence, is that players of SANFL-only clubs are wanting greater remuneration under the reasoning of doing virtually as much work as the AFL listed players.

Or in Glenelg's case, be better players

As Norwood and Sturt discovered previously. Winning flags does get costly apparently with players wanting a bit of an extra kick to the skyrocket
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Ronnie » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:45 pm

Certainly the players at Sturt expected a dividend after 16/17. Only with a few retiring now is there availability in the cap to go and get a few players which this pre season they are finally doing. A few more on the way to Unley in the next week or so.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:27 pm

Hopefully Glenelg will get a 10% extra in the cap for 2020
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby JK » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:30 pm

Dutchy wrote:Hopefully Glenelg will get a 10% extra in the cap for 2020

Weren't you back on full cap last season?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:04 pm

JK wrote:

No
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby JK » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:40 pm

Dutchy wrote:
JK wrote:

No

Not what I was told, but happy to go with your word
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby JohnnyG » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:34 pm

JK wrote:
Brett wrote:Spoke about finances too.I wonder how much they are paying back to the SANFL ? Didn't mention anything about a fee too play in the SANFL. No wonder people dislike Port . Backstabbing whinging continues. Too heavily reliant on the AFL . Im sure the corporates got sucked in by the spin. Its really funny now.

TBF didn't Port forego their dividend as a SANFL foundation club instead of paying the $400k per season to the 8 others?

Was the actual dividend amount paid by SANFL to each of the 8 real SANFL Clubs $400K per season or less
JohnnyG
Rookie

Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby LMA » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:42 pm

JohnnyG wrote:
JK wrote:
Brett wrote:Spoke about finances too.I wonder how much they are paying back to the SANFL ? Didn't mention anything about a fee too play in the SANFL. No wonder people dislike Port . Backstabbing whinging continues. Too heavily reliant on the AFL . Im sure the corporates got sucked in by the spin. Its really funny now.

TBF didn't Port forego their dividend as a SANFL foundation club instead of paying the $400k per season to the 8 others?

Was the actual dividend amount paid by SANFL to each of the 8 real SANFL Clubs $400K per season or less

50k to each club from the Crows annual fee = 400k
LMA
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL