Essendon

Talk on the national game

Re: Essendon

Postby Dutchy » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:02 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
Reporting an overall profit of $3.534 million, inclusive of The Hangar development fundraising income of $3.474 million, the club utilised the surplus of its profit to fully pay down outstanding debt.

Pay down debt? There is a novel idea!!!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:52 pm

Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:26 am

I think i am more chance of playing at the Bombers in 2021 than Daniher is...

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... fLskOl5234
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Spargo » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:28 am

woodublieve12 wrote:I think i am more chance of playing at the Bombers in 2021 than Daniher is...

Paywall wubbsy...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:35 am

Spargo wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:I think i am more chance of playing at the Bombers in 2021 than Daniher is...

Paywall wubbsy...

:roll: i should have copied and pasted it. Now i can't even look at it... It's just from his press conference this morning
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:37 am

Star forward Joe Daniher has made an early return to the pre-season and says he is proud of the way both he and Essendon handled a challenging trade period.

Daniher requested a trade to Sydney but a deal couldn’t be reached, seeing him held to his contract at the Bombers.

Aware of his contracted status, he said he knew it wouldn’t be easy for the clubs to strike a deal and he has returned to The Hangar in good spirits.

“I did ask for a trade to the Sydney Swans Football Club, but I had really good dialogue with Essendon right through the situation,” Daniher said on Thursday morning.

“Knowing that I was a contracted player, I did have the knowledge that it was going to be a difficult thing to get done.

“I’m very proud of the way the club handled it and proud of the way I’ve handled it. That honesty throughout the situation was really beneficial for me now coming back to the football club and I’m ready to get back and stuck into it.”

The 25-year-old said coming back to Essendon on Thursday had been made easier by the constant support of those at the club.

“The support has been amazing, before I left and whilst I was away I had really good dialogue with my teammates.

“The support from all of the staff of the football club, coaches included, has been amazing. I’m very thankful for that and it certainly makes coming in today a little bit easier.”

Despite being due to return to the track on Monday, Daniher said getting in early would help him adjust to the training loads in order to hit the ground running next week.

He enters the pre-season off the back of an educational visit to Ireland with teammate James Stewart and club physio Nick Kane, where he said the group gained valuable insights into the best practice in recovering from their ongoing groin injuries.

“I got back from overseas earlier in the week on Tuesday and thought I’d have a day off and then come back in and get into the swing of things.

“It might take me a couple of days to get acclimatised to the training routine, so I thought I’d get in and get started.

“It has been quite a challenging year in terms of injury and getting out on the park and unfortunately I haven’t been able to do that as much as I would have liked.

“I spent a couple of weeks overseas training with James Stewart and our physio Nick Kane in Dublin in Ireland, which was really beneficial.

“We’re hoping that we can bring some of the stuff we learned over there back to training here and fast-track our recovery.”

Daniher also took some time to travel earlier in the off-season and he said it gave him the chance to take a crucial breath.

“It was really nice to get away. It’s a luxury of playing AFL football; you get some time off at the end of the year to do whatever you like and travelling is one of those things I love to do.

“I spent a few weeks in Spain, a couple of weeks in Scandinavia and then finished off in Ireland. I had a really good trip away, I’m really refreshed and I’m looking forward to getting back to training.”

The high-flying forward has been restricted to just 11 games across the past two seasons, but he is “absolutely” confident he can recapture his best form and perform consistently if he remains committed on the track.

“My priority is just to get my body in really good shape where it can handle really consistent AFL football and where I’m at right now is a fair way away from that.

“I’m pretty determined to get my body to a point where I can get out and train really hard with the group and then impact for the football club.”
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1209 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:37 am

Joe Daniher speaks for the first time since off-season Sydney trade request
Sam Edmund and Michael Randall, Herald Sun
November 21, 2019 9:51am
Subscriber only
Joe Daniher said he knew from the start a move to Sydney was going to be “difficult”.

But he says he made the decision to ask for the trade from the Bombers in conjunction with friends and family in a bid to “have a fresh start”.

Back at Tullamarine today, the talented, but oft-injured key forward pulled no punches in admitting to asking for the trade, while reinforcing his re-commitment to the Bombers.

“I’m excited.

“I obviously requested a trade to Sydney.

“After a long period of time working with my family and friends I felt it was the best move for me to freshen up.

“I knew I was under contract. We had some good discussions with the club and they made me aware it was going to be difficult. I understood that.

“I really wanted to take the time and be really comfortable with the decision. I knew it was going to be tough.

“It didn’t go through so we’re here now and I’m ready to get back to Essendon fully committed.”

The son for former Bomber and Swan Anthony Daniher, Joe had played all 23 games and booted 65 goals in 2017, before persistent injuries limited him to just 11 games across the past two seasons.

And he said that had taken a toll.

“I’ve played AFL for what feels like a long time now.,” he said.

“I’ve grown up in Melbourne and I’m fully aware of what it takes to be a professional footballer and what you give up.

“It was more around the last couple of years have been really difficult from an injury point of view and I felt a new start might help that.

“But it wasn’t to be so here we are and I’m ready and committed to get back into it.

“For me I just want to get out and train and train hard and provide some real leadership.”

He said he wasn’t looking ahead to next year, despite it being the end of his contract.

“The priority is my body,” he said.

“Following that will be playing and hopefully offering something on the field.

“They’ll be a lot of speculation and hypotheticals about what next year will look like.

“But the priority for me is getting out there.”

Bombers players urged the club to hold Daniher, who had a mid-season meeting with Swans chief executive Tom Harley in Sydney, to his contract during the trade period, the two clubs

unable to to terms and he was forced to stay at Tullamarine, where he is contracted until the end of 2020.

Essendon played a hard line on Daniher, asking for a player to be added on top of picks No.5 and 9, the Bombers wanting Sydney to offer a player as part of the deal.
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:34 am

Won’t be going anywhere. Club will pay way overs to keep him IMO
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:24 pm

Jim05 wrote:

you don't honestly believe that do you???
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:31 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

I believe he probably still wants to leave but I don’t believe the club will let him go for nothing either. Sydney showed this year they didn’t want to give up overs for him when if they wanted him that badly they should have offered up something decent.
Jim05
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:48 pm

Jim05 wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

I believe he probably still wants to leave but I don’t believe the club will let him go for nothing either. Sydney showed this year they didn’t want to give up overs for him when if they wanted him that badly they should have offered up something decent.

:shock: we did
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:58 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:[quote="woodublieve12"]I think i am more chance of playing at the Bombers in 2021 than Daniher is...

:shock: we did[/quote]
No you didn’t.
Essendon would have moved him on for pick 5&9 or maybe even 5 plus something else IMO. The club was quite clear that pick 5 would need to be involved and yet you offer up pick 9. Once that happened there was never going to be a deal.
I think there will be a similar impasse in 11 months time unless something is worked out before that. Joe returned to training early and will no doubt give 100% so we will have to wait and see
Jim05
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:00 am

Essendon have named the Leadership Group for 2020. Dyson Heppell was unanimously endorsed back in December to continue as Captain. He will be supported by Dylan Shiel, Devon Smith, Michael Hurley and David Zaharakis.
PatowalongaPirate

Postby JK » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:25 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:Essendon have named the Leadership Group for 2020. Dyson Heppell was unanimously endorsed back in December to continue as Captain. He will be supported by Dylan Shiel, Devon Smith, Michael Hurley and David Zaharakis.

Be great to see Devon Smith back, imho he makes such a massive difference to the make up of your side. Love the way he goes about it, hard at it tackling machine that not only brings a solid game of his own, but his deeds often make life much easier for teammates.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:52 am

JK wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:Essendon have named the Leadership Group for 2020. Dyson Heppell was unanimously endorsed back in December to continue as Captain. He will be supported by Dylan Shiel, Devon Smith, Michael Hurley and David Zaharakis.

Be great to see Devon Smith back, imho he makes such a massive difference to the make up of your side. Love the way he goes about it, hard at it tackling machine that not only brings a solid game of his own, but his deeds often make life much easier for teammates.

Indeed. Only managed 7 games last season so we are looking forward to having him back. He won our B&F in 2018 and went very close to AA selection.
PatowalongaPirate

Postby Spargo » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:52 pm

Yet reigning B&F Zach Merrett sacked from the leadership group?

Spargo
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:57 pm

Spargo wrote:

No Daniher?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Spargo » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:01 pm

Booney wrote:
Spargo wrote:

No Daniher?

You can understand Daniher & Fantasia being dropped after they both tried leaving in the off season.
There’s got to be more to it with Merrett though...

Spargo
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:04 pm

Spargo wrote:
Booney wrote:
Spargo wrote:

No Daniher?

You can understand Daniher & Fantasia being dropped after they both tried leaving in the off season.
There’s got to be more to it with Merrett though...

My understanding is that Merrett is taking a step back to concentrate on his football. He is pretty harsh on himself and thought he had a real poor year. Daniher and Fantasia definitely couldn’t stay on
Jim05
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:24 pm

Dutchy
Site Admin

PreviousNext