General tv discussion thread - good, bad, axings etc etc

Movies, TV Shows, Fringe, etc.

Re: General tv discussion thread - good, bad, axings etc etc

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:15 pm

I'm a big fan of ignoring the hype over various series and then binge watching long after they have finished. So far watched all of Oz, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and currently watching The Wire. Stream the lot and no ads or FTA bullshit. I'm a big HBO fan and have an eye out for a few other series that everyone has probably watched years ago. I didn't pay any attention to anyone so no spoilers either GEAR.

Anything that starts out good and jumps the shark I give a miss. I saw GoT 8 at the same time as everyone else and while it wasn't as good as earlier seasons i thought it was a little rushed rather than straight up bad. I've heard bad things about the way Dexter finishes up so I'm not keen to get into that one. I'm more of a true crime guy anyway.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:30 pm

Booney wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Booney wrote:ABC iView.

How Australia Got It's Mojo.

Russell Howcroft from Gruen spends an hour looking at an ad agency that created the TV sound track of the 70s and 80s. Great memories.

Check it out.

Yeah, this look good. Thanks for the reminder, Boon - you ought to be congratulated.

Mojo, what a pairing!

Like Mr Boon, I recommend all who recall those classic ads to check this show out, it's a wonderful walk down memory lane, but also acts as a record of Australian society and how it saw itself in the 1970s and 1980s.

I also dare anyone who watches it to not start singing all the Mojo ad jingles immediately. I was doing it involuntarily for about two hours last night.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Corona Man » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:37 pm

Magellan wrote:
Booney wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Russell Howcroft from Gruen spends an hour looking at an ad agency that created the TV sound track of the 70s and 80s. Great memories.

Check it out.

Yeah, this look good. Thanks for the reminder, Boon - you ought to be congratulated.

Mojo, what a pairing!

Like Mr Boon, I recommend all who recall those classic ads to check this show out, it's a wonderful walk down memory lane, but also acts as a record of Australian society and how it saw itself in the 1970s and 1980s.

I also dare anyone who watches it to not start singing all the Mojo ad jingles immediately. I was doing it involuntarily for about two hours last night.

You orta be congratulated!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:48 pm

Magellan wrote:Like Mr Boon, I recommend all who recall those classic ads to check this show out, it's a wonderful walk down memory lane, but also acts as a record of Australian society and how it saw itself in the 1970s and 1980s.

The Hogan ads really influenced Australian culture as much as it mimicked it.

I remember my Dad was always pants, nicely ironed, button up shirt and outside the house, tie. By the time the 80's came along he was jeans and jumpers in winter then stubbies, a Bonds round neck and thongs in summer. Wouldn't have dared been that casual in public 10 years earlier.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:01 pm

Check it out.

Cheers for that, watched it today and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I thought Delvene had aged horribly but she is almost 70!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby LMA » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:25 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:I'm a big fan of ignoring the hype over various series and then binge watching long after they have finished. So far watched all of Oz, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and currently watching The Wire. Stream the lot and no ads or FTA bullshit. I'm a big HBO fan and have an eye out for a few other series that everyone has probably watched years ago. I didn't pay any attention to anyone so no spoilers either GEAR.

Anything that starts out good and jumps the shark I give a miss. I saw GoT 8 at the same time as everyone else and while it wasn't as good as earlier seasons i thought it was a little rushed rather than straight up bad. I've heard bad things about the way Dexter finishes up so I'm not keen to get into that one. I'm more of a true crime guy anyway.

regards,

REB

If you haven't already, also try:

Boardwalk Empire
Banshee
Peaky Blinders
The Shield
Luther
True Detective
Fargo

All quality shows
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby JK » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:25 pm

LMA wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:I'm a big fan of ignoring the hype over various series and then binge watching long after they have finished. So far watched all of Oz, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and currently watching The Wire. Stream the lot and no ads or FTA bullshit. I'm a big HBO fan and have an eye out for a few other series that everyone has probably watched years ago. I didn't pay any attention to anyone so no spoilers either GEAR.

regards,

REB

Boardwalk Empire
Banshee
Peaky Blinders
The Shield
Luther
True Detective
Fargo

All quality shows

Seen most of these and thoroughly agree ... Not HBO but Im a huge wrap for Ozark too. Whilst unfortunately they only did the 1 season, Quarry was hugely underrated too and very list worthy imho.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Magellan » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:52 pm

LMA wrote:

regards,

REB

Boardwalk Empire
Banshee
Peaky Blinders
The Shield
Luther
True Detective
Fargo

All quality shows

Season one of True Detective is awesome stuff. Fargo is a great as well, captures the spirit of the original movie.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby LMA » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:54 am

Magellan wrote:
LMA wrote:

regards,

REB

Boardwalk Empire
Banshee
Peaky Blinders
The Shield
Luther
True Detective
Fargo

All quality shows

Season one of True Detective is awesome stuff. Fargo is a great as well, captures the spirit of the original movie.

Yeah, love the way they talk in Fargo and the unusual crime.
LMA
Coach

Postby LMA » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:59 am

Watching season 2 of Mr Inbetween. Very dry Aussie humour well worth watching, short episodes too.

Finished Les Norton and enjoyed that also. David Wenham is a great actor.
LMA
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:39 pm

LMA wrote:Watching season 2 of Mr Inbetween. Very dry Aussie humour well worth watching, short episodes too.

Mr Inbetween is my favourite show, my only criticism is the episodes are too short.
The last couple of episodes of the first season were the best tv ever.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:55 pm

regards,

REB

Yes, this. Started watching Ballers in the past week, really good to date. Up to S1E8.

Recently completed;

Dexter
MASH
Sopranos
Breaking Bad
Making a Murderer
Episodes
Narcos
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:58 pm

LMA wrote:

regards,

REB

Boardwalk Empire
Banshee
Peaky Blinders
The Shield
Luther
True Detective
Fargo

All quality shows

Watched all of Peaky Blinders and Boardwalk Empire since my earlier post and currently watching Vikings which is pretty full on. Thanks for the recommendations, they will keep me going until the real cricket starts. TV is awesome today, so much variety. Modern music might be shit but Modern TV is leaps and bounds ahead of what we had thirty to forty years ago.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby JK » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:22 pm

Anyone else had a look at The BBC’s “World On Fire” on Fox? Found it a bit meh at first, but quite enjoying it now, even though it’s not a particularly happy topic it’s covering (albeit it’s one I’ve always found fascinating)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby LMA » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:56 am

Been watching Mayans MC, it's not great but does enough to keep me interested and also has good references to Sons of Anarchy.

Mr Mercedes is pretty good, based on Stephen King Trilogy. I've only seen the first season which is pretty much a crime story but expect it to go towards the King genre in the next 2 seasons. I needed subtitles on ocassions though with Brendan Gleeson being the main character.
LMA
Coach

Postby JK » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:10 am

Keep meaning to watch Mr Mercedes, and am a huge Brendan Gleeson fan
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby LMA » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:59 pm

JK wrote:Keep meaning to watch Mr Mercedes, and am a huge Brendan Gleeson fan

Quality actor the burly customer. Finished season 2, did not pick the ending whatsoever. Will start season 3 soon.
LMA
Coach

Postby LMA » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:42 am

Wedgie wrote:
LMA wrote:Watching season 2 of Mr Inbetween. Very dry Aussie humour well worth watching, short episodes too.

Mr Inbetween is my favourite show, my only criticism is the episodes are too short.
The last couple of episodes of the first season were the best tv ever.

Another good season, the kidnapping episode was pretty random but good nonetheless.
LMA
Coach

Postby LMA » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:53 am

Anyone still enduring The Walking Dead? Give them points for introducing villains more despised than the last though. The Alpha takes the cake.
LMA
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:13 am

LMA wrote:Anyone still enduring The Walking Dead? Give them points for introducing villains more despised than the last though. The Alpha takes the cake.
I'm still watching, seems, like it's building to something big soon, hoping for an all out war between all the main characters/groups and the Whisperers.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Entertainment