2019 Silly Season

Talk on the national game

Re: 2019 Silly Season

Postby Jim05 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:47 pm

gadj1976 wrote:Let that be a lesson to recruitment scouts then!

Can’t get them all right. All clubs make shockers too
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:11 am

I will say it again and again the trade value on picks after the top 5 are far to high, classic being the Howard trade this year.

If you haven’t got a top 5 pick you might as well have pic 22.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:29 pm

whufc wrote:I will say it again and again the trade value on picks after the top 5 are far to high, classic being the Howard trade this year.

agreed. Hence why I wasn't too concerned about trading pick 9 for Papley. Papley himself isn't worthy of pick 9 but if you have an informed look at the draft, the clubs would know what pick 9 will get you (ie, not a Papley - someone who will hit the ground running in 2020).
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby LMA » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:06 am

gadj1976 wrote:
whufc wrote:I will say it again and again the trade value on picks after the top 5 are far to high, classic being the Howard trade this year.

agreed. Hence why I wasn't too concerned about trading pick 9 for Papley. Papley himself isn't worthy of pick 9 but if you have an informed look at the draft, the clubs would know what pick 9 will get you (ie, not a Papley - someone who will hit the ground running in 2020).

Stop underselling, everyone knows Papley is a top 2 pick :butthead:
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Dutchy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:49 pm

Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby LMA » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:38 pm

Exhaustive pick swap
LMA
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:45 pm

LMA wrote:Exhaustive pick swap

Assistant swap of the year.

Twice.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:52 pm

I think we are trying to get a higher first round pick this year. By doing that trade we get back in a 2nd round pick for next year meaning we are able to trade out next years first round pick. You are not allowed to trade both your 1st and 2nd round future picks
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Jim05 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:47 am

Jesse Hogan hasn’t quite worked out this angle parking thingy yet!

CB1D376F-D1FE-4D0D-A0E0-BF4E8CD7530E.jpeg
CB1D376F-D1FE-4D0D-A0E0-BF4E8CD7530E.jpeg (173.4 KiB) Viewed 2381 times
Jim05
Coach

Postby RB » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:19 am

Nice house on the top left though.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Brodlach » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:43 pm

FFS Shut up Gil!
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Jim05 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:43 pm

Brodlach wrote:FFS Shut up Gil!

Was just about to post the same.
STFU Gil
Jim05
Coach

Postby Tiger83 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:48 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Brodlach wrote:FFS Shut up Gil!

Was just about to post the same.
STFU Gil

How else are they gonna pack out hours of coverage over 2 nights. It’s always about Gill
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Brodlach » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:03 pm

Could see Stephens being picked up by Sydney on their computer screen as soon as they were shown
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby DOC » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:04 pm

FFS. Just laughable.

The AFL is considering slashing the halftime break from 20 minutes to 10 in a radical move aimed at reducing the length of football matches.

Club chief executives were briefed on the proposal by league supremo Gillon McLachlan and football operations boss Steve Hocking at a meeting at AFL House ahead of last night’s national draft.

Clubs were told the plan was aimed at maintaining the interest of fans at the ground and watching on TV.

It would see the traditional halftime Auskick matches shifted to the pre-game slot.

A league spokesman confirmed the changes were a serious option for the 2020 season.

The quarter-time and three-quarter time breaks will remain at six minutes, the spokesman said.

Ex-Sydney player Luke Ablett tweeted the idea was “incredibly f---ing stupid”.
Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett expressed dismay at the move.

“Well, of course, this is the first I’ve heard about it,” Kennett said.

“It might be one thing for the CEO’s to be told, and maybe the CEO’s will inform their boards, but this is a fundamental change to the game.

“You would have to be concerned about the effect on players, who have spent considerable time on the field before the halftime break and what this will do to their physical wellbeing.”

The plan comes just days after the AFL floated another plan for players to challenge umpire decisions and call for their own goal reviews.

“I can’t believe that is right because if that is correct, it will potentially lengthen the game by minutes if not hours,” Kennett said.

“Maybe AFL head office is just entering the silly season.

The former Victorian premier said the AFL “hadn’t been interested in the history of the game for years”.

“We’ve now got three umpires, they talk of four. There are rule changes almost every year.

“The AFL are not the proud protectors of the historical game – they have created a new game altogether.

“They are running the risk – again – of putting the viewing public totally off-side.”

But Geelong captain Joel Selwood said he would support a move to truncate games.

“Even being a fan of footy, people can lose interest really quickly so to cut the games shorter with the halftime period, I am all for that,” he told the Herald Sun.

“It takes you three minutes to get down and three minutes to get back up so you are already wasting six minutes already.

“To be honest it wouldn’t be much of a change for us. I reckon you would stay up and play it for what it is.”

Selwood said he understood the importance of maximising appeal for fans in a competitive sporting marketplace.

“We have to kick more goals and make sure it’s quick but we have to get the coaches on board. It’s more just as a fan I am saying it,” he said.

“Change is good. I am for change.”

Essendon coach John Worsfold said he wouldn’t be fussed if the AFL made the change.

Recruiting sources said the halftime reduction, mooted just an hour before Fridau night’s draft, had the potential to change how they ranked players.

Prospects with poor endurance could be looked upon less favourably in lineball decisions. They also said it would create havoc for high-performance teams.

One scout joked that coaches would ping hamstrings while attempting to sprint to the rooms for the halftime break.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:23 pm

Freo having a great draft
Jim05
Coach

Postby DOC » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:38 pm

Carlton 0/2 or 2/2 depending on your view.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:38 pm

SOS the only guy with balls to stand up to the academy zone bullshit

hang your heads in shame everyone else
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:31 pm

DOC wrote:FFS. Just laughable.

The AFL is considering slashing the halftime break from 20 minutes to 10 in a radical move aimed at reducing the length of football matches.

Club chief executives were briefed on the proposal by league supremo Gillon McLachlan and football operations boss Steve Hocking at a meeting at AFL House ahead of last night’s national draft.

Clubs were told the plan was aimed at maintaining the interest of fans at the ground and watching on TV.

It would see the traditional halftime Auskick matches shifted to the pre-game slot.

A league spokesman confirmed the changes were a serious option for the 2020 season.

The quarter-time and three-quarter time breaks will remain at six minutes, the spokesman said.

Ex-Sydney player Luke Ablett tweeted the idea was “incredibly f---ing stupid”.
Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett expressed dismay at the move.

“Well, of course, this is the first I’ve heard about it,” Kennett said.

“It might be one thing for the CEO’s to be told, and maybe the CEO’s will inform their boards, but this is a fundamental change to the game.

“You would have to be concerned about the effect on players, who have spent considerable time on the field before the halftime break and what this will do to their physical wellbeing.”

The plan comes just days after the AFL floated another plan for players to challenge umpire decisions and call for their own goal reviews.

“I can’t believe that is right because if that is correct, it will potentially lengthen the game by minutes if not hours,” Kennett said.

“Maybe AFL head office is just entering the silly season.

The former Victorian premier said the AFL “hadn’t been interested in the history of the game for years”.

“We’ve now got three umpires, they talk of four. There are rule changes almost every year.

“The AFL are not the proud protectors of the historical game – they have created a new game altogether.

“They are running the risk – again – of putting the viewing public totally off-side.”

But Geelong captain Joel Selwood said he would support a move to truncate games.

“Even being a fan of footy, people can lose interest really quickly so to cut the games shorter with the halftime period, I am all for that,” he told the Herald Sun.

“It takes you three minutes to get down and three minutes to get back up so you are already wasting six minutes already.

“To be honest it wouldn’t be much of a change for us. I reckon you would stay up and play it for what it is.”

Selwood said he understood the importance of maximising appeal for fans in a competitive sporting marketplace.

“We have to kick more goals and make sure it’s quick but we have to get the coaches on board. It’s more just as a fan I am saying it,” he said.

“Change is good. I am for change.”

Essendon coach John Worsfold said he wouldn’t be fussed if the AFL made the change.

Recruiting sources said the halftime reduction, mooted just an hour before Fridau night’s draft, had the potential to change how they ranked players.

Prospects with poor endurance could be looked upon less favourably in lineball decisions. They also said it would create havoc for high-performance teams.

One scout joked that coaches would ping hamstrings while attempting to sprint to the rooms for the halftime break.

I actually like the idea, can shorten the length of time the commentators talk rubbish on tv and amount of ads for starters, plus when you're at the footy all you do at half time is just wait around, sit on your phone, stuff your face with overpriced food and drink and watch the Auskickers while waiting for the real stuff to come back on. Would be shit for the young Auskickers though not having enough time to be in the limelight for 10/15 mins if it was shortened.

Can't see it happening though as it wouldn't benefit the AFL, tv broadcasters and the gounds as they would lose too much revenue.
And I value the opinion of a bloke actually playing the game and knows how much it would impact him and his team in Joel Selwood rather than some old bloke in Jeff Kennett that thinks he knows how it would effect a professional athlete.
Last edited by The Dark Knight on Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby LMA » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:38 pm

Maybe AFL reserves comp has some substance, would make sense to condense game day.
LMA
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL