2020 Player movement

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2020 Player movement

Postby Pseudo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:52 am

Panther Pack wrote:Absolute joke that Port and Adelaide get a marquee player and the other 8 clubs don't.

The dinkum 8 clubs don't need a marquee player. They aren't subject to rules which can be bent by declaring a player to be "marquee".
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby PanthersFan » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:50 am

I thought the likes of Dixon, Wines, Westhoff and Ryder et al would be enough marquee players.
No? Are they not up to SANFL standard?
And yes I’m aware that they don’t all play every week, but every week there is at least one good AFL player playing in the SANFL.
Surely that is marquee?
Then there’s the rest of the team who are full time footballers, but I think we’ve had this conversation before...
PanthersFan
Under 16s

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dogs64 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:35 am

Anyone know the actual rule regarding "marquee" players?
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 177 times

Postby VALE PARK » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:05 pm

The competition is not a level playing field.
Why can't every fair dinkum SANFL club have 1 Marquee player and pay him the same salary as an extra too.
I am surprised a few clubs don't squeal about this.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Dutchy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:07 pm

VALE PARK wrote:The competition is not a level playing field.
Why can't every fair dinkum SANFL club have 1 Marquee player and pay him the same salary as an extra too.

Norwood have
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Dogs64 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:27 pm

Roy Laird did.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 177 times

Postby StrayDog » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:44 pm

Dogs64 wrote:

Roy Laird did.

Ah yes. Part of Roy's supposed "anti AFL stance" that was reflected in Centrals' failure to "keep up with the times". Apparently. ;)

I seem to remember reading that on this thread somewhere.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby DOC » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:31 pm

Dogs64 wrote:Anyone know the actual rule regarding "marquee" players?

The marquee player is able to be picked ahead of any AFL listed player.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:38 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Norwood have

Norwood do, have about 8 of therm
Grigg, Bastinac and Douglas off the top of my head
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby LMA » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:15 pm

StrayDog wrote:
Dogs64 wrote:

Roy Laird did.

Ah yes. Part of Roy's supposed "anti AFL stance" that was reflected in Centrals' failure to "keep up with the times". Apparently. ;)

I seem to remember reading that on this thread somewhere.

I remember that, the poster made some valid points.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby LMA » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:23 pm

DOC wrote:

This would rarely happen. It would mean that Port or Adelaide virtually have an injury free list.

AFL list is 47, 22-24 for the A's and 21 for the B's each week.
LMA
Coach

Postby LMA » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:36 pm

PanthersFan wrote:I thought the likes of Dixon, Wines, Westhoff and Ryder et al would be enough marquee players.
No? Are they not up to SANFL standard?
And yes I’m aware that they don’t all play every week, but every week there is at least one good AFL player playing in the SANFL.
Surely that is marquee?
Then there’s the rest of the team who are full time footballers, but I think we’ve had this conversation before...

They're more like pop up tents. The Marquee is about experience and parting knowledge onto the kids rather than the best player available, as it stands Port have 20 kids on the list under 21, at a guess 2 thirds of them will play in the SANFL.

Looking forward to see if FT professional, Grundy, can improve on his average disposal of 2 this season. If he can get it to 4 I reckon the Cup is ours.
LMA
Coach

Postby DOC » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:01 pm

LMA wrote:
DOC wrote:

This would rarely happen. It would mean that Port or Adelaide virtually have an injury free list.

It is exactly what happened to Steve Summerton and why Port sought the marquee player.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby beef » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:02 pm

Grundy wouldn't get 4 disposals playing ammos. There isn't a worse footballer playing sanfl, no idea how he's on an afl list. Should get 2 marquee players if having to play Grundy.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby LMA » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:22 pm

DOC wrote:
LMA wrote:
DOC wrote:

It is exactly what happened to Steve Summerton and why Port sought the marquee player.

Had to sit out 4 or 5 games from memory. Not sure about last season but there were no games this year where Port didn't have top ups playing? I'll upgrade from rarely to not too often.
LMA
Coach

Postby LMA » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:30 pm

beef wrote:Grundy wouldn't get 4 disposals playing ammos. There isn't a worse footballer playing sanfl, no idea how he's on an afl list. Should get 2 marquee players if having to play Grundy.

Just a kid and started playing footy late but definitely needs to improve this year.
LMA
Coach

Postby oldfella » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:59 pm

from 2018 -- information on Power SANFL Salary Cap and Leadership Player. (below is just an extract -- need to read it all LOL)

The SA Football Commission concluded the annual review of the license conditions and list regulations pertaining to the Adelaide and Port Adelaide Football Club participation in the SANFL competition and has approved the following as players eligible for the AFL clubs supplementary lists:

Any South Australian player who is attaining the age of 19 or older and who is not on the Senior List of a SANFL Club (which is a list of 40 players).

One Leadership Player who has attained the age of twenty six (26) years prior to or during the calendar year in which he is first included on the supplementary list who has been on any AFL list in the season immediately prior.

A maximum of four players from interstate that have attained the age of 18 on January 1st in the year in which they are first included on the AFL club supplementary list (turning 19) but who have not attained the age of 21 on January 1st , each of which can be listed for a maximum of two seasons

AFL approved Next Generation Academy (NGA) and Father Son players can be temporarily permitted during their 18th and 19th years (the years in which they are eligible for drafting with concessions) if nominated by the AFL club they are aligned to. It should be noted that this is subject to the player electing and agreeing to being nominated by AFC and PAFC for temporary permit.

In the 18th year, such a player can be permitted for a period of four games, but will not be eligible for a permit if they have already played League Football at their SANFL club. The SANFL Club will receive a fee in the sum of $2,500.

In the 19th year, a nominated NGA and Father Son player would be available for selection at AFC or PAFC only. At the conclusion of their 19th year SANFL club will have the right to list the player on their senior list. The SANFL Club will receive a fee, in addition to any fee received in the players 18th year, in the sum of $5,000.

Also, a player payment cap will be introduced for the AFC and PAFC in line with the other SANFL clubs, consisting of:

Match payments at a maximum of $400 per League match.
An upfront/base payment maximum (per individual) of $4,000.
Total upfront/base payments (collective) of not more than $20,000.
In addition, the Leadership Player can only be paid a maximum upfront/ base payment of $20,000 and match payments of $500 per match. If the player was drafted from a SANFL Club prior to his AFL listing, there will also be a transfer fee payable to the SANFL Club in the sum of $25,000, as is the case if the player were to play for any other SANFL Club.

The AFC and PAFC contracted supplementary list will include:

A maximum Contracted Supplementary List of 10 players (including NGA and father son players in their 19th year, such players in their 18th year would be excluded).
A contracted supplementary list player is protected and cannot transfer without consent of AFC or PAFC. Only supplementary list players can be paid a base or upfront payment. Contract period is limited to 12 months (or one season).
Any player otherwise eligible for the supplementary list can be registered to play on permit from their community club with AFC or PAFC. There is no limit on the number of permitted players.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/ ... s.1206542/
oldfella
Under 16s

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby LMA » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:47 pm

So the Marquee maxes out at $29k for playing and the top ups who aren't good enough to make other SANFL clubs get a base payment of upto $4k and match payments accordingly. Storm in a teacup? What would the best players in the league at other clubs be on?
LMA
Coach

Postby oldfella » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:32 pm

LMA wrote:So the Marquee maxes out at $29k for playing and the top ups who aren't good enough to make other SANFL clubs get a base payment of upto $4k and match payments accordingly. Storm in a teacup? What would the best players in the league at other clubs be on?

Base payment of $20,000 and match payments of $500 per match (22 games =11k) then potentially Marquee Player gets 31k not 29k. You must also include in your calculations that normally the Marquee has a paid Coaching role with the Power 20-30k which is not included within the salary cap hence in total Marquee gets between 51-61k which is top dollar for most clubs trying to recruit.

The number of AFL list players ( minimum 38 senior listed with a maximum of 40 senior listed plus 4/6 Rookie listed depending on how many senior listed players == total of 44 players) hence on face value if no injuries (unlikely) then Supplementary List of players unlikely to get a game with exception of Marquee player who can play instead of a rookie. Even players on the AFL rookie list in the main are there because they are bloody good players and most are well up to SANFL standards. Where the system fails for the 2 AFL teams is where injuries etc are large then they need to play their U/18 academy players who in most cases are just not ready for SANFL footy

Also there is only a maximum of 10 contracted players (including NGA and father son players who only play when not enough other AFL players of various type are available due to injury). Interesting fact about the Supplementary Players they get 4k regardless and are also getting a realistic $$ from the lower home clubs that they play for --- based on several players that I have spoken too most get more than the SANFL base salary and as such it is difficult to recruit them.

In regard to what top players at the other clubs are getting then who knows --- there is set guidelines within the overall Salary Cap frame work but this does not include things like jobs, Business support or other means (perhaps a supporter purchasing a house for 200k over the asking price for example) --- the truth is some clubs have these options open to them whilst other clubs do not.

The clubs are simply asking that to assist recruiting quality players to the SANFL that they be allowed one Marquee player who can be paid a set additional amount outside of the Salary Cap the same as the Crows and Power can have
oldfella
Under 16s

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby LMA » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:52 pm

oldfella wrote:
LMA wrote:So the Marquee maxes out at $29k for playing and the top ups who aren't good enough to make other SANFL clubs get a base payment of upto $4k and match payments accordingly. Storm in a teacup? What would the best players in the league at other clubs be on?

Base payment of $20,000 and match payments of $500 per match (22 games =11k) then potentially Marquee Player gets 31k not 29k. You must also include in your calculations that normally the Marquee has a paid Coaching role with the Power 20-30k which is not included within the salary cap hence in total Marquee gets between 51-61k which is top dollar for most clubs trying to recruit.

The number of AFL list players ( minimum 38 senior listed with a maximum of 40 senior listed plus 4/6 Rookie listed depending on how many senior listed players == total of 44 players) hence on face value if no injuries (unlikely) then Supplementary List of players unlikely to get a game with exception of Marquee player who can play instead of a rookie.

Also there is only a maximum of 10 contracted players (including NGA and father son players who only play when not enough other AFL players of various type are available due to injury). Interesting fact about the Supplementary Players they get 4k regardless and are also getting a realistic $$ from the lower home clubs that they play for --- based on several players that I have spoken too most get more than the SANFL base salary and as such it is difficult to recruit them.

Yes I based it on the H & A season only. Reckon the coaching gig would be a bit more than 20-30k but employment aside it wouldn't be dissimilar to what the star players at other clubs get and if required I'm sure their clubs could find them employment.
LMA
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL