Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Dutchy » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:25 am

Cant have a weeks holiday?

No-one else that can runt he country for a week?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:27 am

Isnt McCormack in charge at the minute?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11840 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby Q. » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:07 am

Dutchy wrote:Cant have a weeks holiday?

During a bushfire crisis!

ScoMo was pretty quick to attack Victoria’s police chief Christine Nixon for choosing to eat dinner at a gastropub as Black Saturday unfolded - “She’s clearly made a bad judgment call. That happens to people from time to time, but this was a very serious issue,” Mr Morrison said. “I think there are very serious concerns in the community about exercising judgment, and it’s incumbent on all of us in public life to make decisions following that in the best interests of the ongoing nature of the program.”
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:15 am

My oath he can, he deserves his leave like all of us, but, when you're the PM there's certain sacrifices to be made, surely?

There's no doubt he's under enormous pressure on several fronts, to slip off on leave without letting anyone know ( the PM's office made no announcement about it ) is poor and that's not just my opinion, look at social media on the topic.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:26 am

Whilst his 'leadership' has been questionable to say the least on natural disaster/climate and economic matters, ScoMo's safe for the moment, I reckon.

Dutton is certainly waiting in the wings, but I think the conservative side of the Liberals (which comprises most of it post the May election) like the look of ScoMo as someone who can win their perceived culture war against the Left. He's got the same predilections as Abbott, but as a 'marketing man' (rather than a boxer) he has a better chance of selling his vision of Australia to the electorate than Abbott's pugilistic (and ultimately unsuccessful) approach.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:33 am

Booney wrote:

My oath he can, he deserves his leave like all of us, but, when you're the PM there's certain sacrifices to be made, surely?

There's no doubt he's under enormous pressure on several fronts, to slip off on leave without letting anyone know ( the PM's office made no announcement about it ) is poor and that's not just my opinion, look at social media on the topic.

That's where I get my opinions from
The outrage is widespread (amongst the usual outraged posters)
Oh, and they're outraged about BoJo getting elected - death to him and anyone over 30yo
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Q. » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:02 pm

Jimmy, you must have used up all your outrage on Dastyari.

Funny that you've been quiet regarding Angus Taylor's corruption - apparently funneling 80mil of taxpayer money, for water that never existed, into a Cayman's Island account doesn't warrant much of a mention.
Q.
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:13 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Oh, and they're outraged about BoJo getting elected - death to him and anyone over 30yo

I form my own opinion, but if you want to get the opinions of others, beyond the people you speak with daily then social media is a good spot to get the "read of the room".

I'm not outraged by Morrison and Johnson, the tide will turn as the conservative christian boomers move on. It's interesting through that the people who won't be here in the future are deciding what shape we'll be in after they're gone.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Magellan » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:41 pm

Q. wrote:Jimmy, you must have used up all your outrage on Dastyari.

Funny that you've been quiet regarding Angus Taylor's corruption - apparently funneling 80mil of taxpayer money, for water that never existed, into a Cayman's Island account doesn't warrant much of a mention.

Or his ability to continually stake his credibility on false memories of his time at Oxford.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:56 pm

My propensity for outrage is non-existent.
I was never "outraged" about Dastyari. His actions were close to treason but he is just an out and out effwit.

Has Taylor been charged and convicted? Or we don't need to do that anymore? We solely rely on social media for justice these days. Give me a break... I'm outraged :evil:
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:21 pm

Booney wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
Booney wrote:

I form my own opinion, but if you want to get the opinions of others, beyond the people you speak with daily then social media is a good spot to get the "read of the room".

I'm not outraged by Morrison and Johnson, the tide will turn as the conservative christian boomers move on. It's interesting through that the people who won't be here in the future are deciding what shape we'll be in after they're gone.

I don't talk politics with anyone I speak with on a daily basis. The UK election was topical here at work because there are so many Brits here.

I treat everything said on social media with a healthy dose of humour. Hell, I don't even believe half the $hit I write on here or elsewhere!

I know you're not outraged by Trump, ScoMo and BoJo but the usual people on Twitter are, and those supporting them aren't. Same old / same old..

Do you think people over 60 shouldn't be allowed to vote? Or only those that don't vote the way you want them to?
That seems to be the general opinion of the clips I watched from last weekend in London.

By the way, you may be interested in this study: https://australianelectionstudy.org/wp- ... -Study.pdf

I'm no researcher, like the two authors, but is 2,179 out of 16.5m a fair sample? Some interesting stuff in there.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:38 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:

I was never "outraged" about Dastyari. His actions were close to treason but he is just an out and out effwit.

Has Taylor been charged and convicted? Or we don't need to do that anymore? We solely rely on social media for justice these days. Give me a break... I'm outraged :evil:

Was Dastyari charged and convicted?

Taylor's corruption has been well documented by credible journalists.
Q.
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:48 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:Do you think people over 60 shouldn't be allowed to vote? Or only those that don't vote the way you want them to?
That seems to be the general opinion of the clips I watched from last weekend in London.

Absolutely people over 60 deserve the right to vote, but, like most people we get somewhat cantankerous in our latter years and perhaps are more aligned to anecdotal evidence than facts laid before us, our minds are made up and changing them is a hard enough for someone else to do, let alone ourselves.

Ah yes, the London "**** Boris" protesters, the far left is as bad as the far right, so I take very little notice of them.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:14 pm

Q. wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Was Dastyari charged and convicted? You do love a tu quoque logical fallacy :roll: Unfortunately, you can't be charged for being an effwit and that's all I have ever said about him.

Taylor's corruption has been well documented by credible journalists.Means SFA. "credible journalists" PFFT. You (or they) are alleging fraud. Call him an effwit by all means, but fraud is a crime. Why hasn't he been charged?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:43 pm

Booney wrote:

Do we know for sure he is in Hawaii? Surely the media would have got a photo by now?

Im not saying he shouldn't be here, but I think we are all getting a little bit outraged about anything currently.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:01 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:

Do we know for sure he is in Hawaii? Surely the media would have got a photo by now?

Im not saying he shouldn't be here, but I think we are all getting a little bit outraged about anything currently.

For mine it looks worse because the pressure he's under. The fires in NSW, the budget being torn to pieces, the economy stalling, now's the time to roll up the sleeves, not the put the out of office on.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby tipper » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:10 pm

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:

For mine it looks worse because the pressure he's under. The fires in NSW, the budget being torn to pieces, the economy stalling, now's the time to roll up the sleeves, not the put the out of office on.

personally, after he critiscised others for going to dinner during the black saturday bushfires, his disappearing act is massively hypocritical. and going away without any announcement shows he absolutely knows its terrible timing

not that hypocrisy from our politicians is anything new
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Jim05 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:13 pm

tipper wrote:

Exactly.
I find it funny how people always think the other side would’ve been any better
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby tipper » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:17 pm

Jim05 wrote:
tipper wrote:

Exactly.
I find it funny how people always think the other side would’ve been any better

both sides are as bad as each other certainly. that wont stop me critiscising the ones in power now though when they **** up.

just because they both do it, doesnt make it right, and doesnt mean we should let it slide
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Q. » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:37 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Q. wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Was Dastyari charged and convicted? You do love a tu quoque logical fallacy :roll: Unfortunately, you can't be charged for being an effwit and that's all I have ever said about him.

Taylor's corruption has been well documented by credible journalists.Means SFA. "credible journalists" PFFT. You (or they) are alleging fraud. Call him an effwit by all means, but fraud is a crime. Why hasn't he been charged?

You need to work on your application of logical fallacies.

Indeed, Dastyari wasn't charged or convicted because accepting the donation was within the rules.

Was Angus Taylor funneling 80mil of taxpayer money, for water that never existed, into a Cayman's Island account within the rules?

Anthony Klan briefly picked up the story in The Australian, but mysteriously 'resigned' a couple of weeks later. It's no accident Murdoch papers have been quiet. If they'd run with the same external pressure (like, for instance, they did with Dastyari), Taylor would have had no option but to resign. It's also no coincidence the Libs have quashed any notion of a federal ICAC.
Q.
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics