Port Adelaide 2020

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2020

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:40 pm

KT alluded to a new major sponsor in early 2020, it's a good one.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby JK » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:46 pm

Im not close to the inner workings of the club, but to play devils advocate ...

Re-signing Hinkley incase he’s lost to Gold Coast Hard to know how much of it was KT's call - I suspect he would have heavily supported it. We don't know the financial impact of KH vs some else.
Not trusting his gut on the dual captaincy call - Tough one. Didn't work for sure but that couldn't have been known til after the event. The supporter backlash would have been known but surely no club can let the inmates run the assylum?
Struggling to attract that second major sponsor - Yep
No real traction in China - Im not sure anyone outside of Alberton or AFL HQ knows how well (or otherwise) this is faring.
Causing a disconnect between the club and it’s fans. How? I always felt that disconnect would have been worse without KT?
Crowds dropping away as quickly as they have at Adelaide Oval. Not sure how much of that was within his control - He doesn't create the fixture nor poor onfield performances
Port achieving no onfield success whilst in his tenure - Same as the previous line, but you're right, supporters will generally associate a player or officials time at a club with the level of success during their tenure.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Brodlach » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:47 pm

Hopefully Port get a big fat donut in the win column in 2020
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:11 pm

Im not close to the inner workings of the club, but to play devils advocate ...

Re-signing Hinkley incase he’s lost to Gold Coast Hard to know how much of it was KT's call - I suspect he would have heavily supported it. We don't know the financial impact of KH vs some else.

I think Hinkley and his team managed this very well, having said that we had just lost an elimination in OT after going 14-9 in 2017 and at that point he'd guided us to 3 finals campaigns in 5 years. I think Hinkley won the chess match here, but I'm not sure fans would have taken to him being sacked right at that point, either. ( 2018 and 2019 in hindsight they/we would have ).

Not trusting his gut on the dual captaincy call - Tough one. Didn't work for sure but that couldn't have been known til after the event. The supporter backlash would have been known but surely no club can let the inmates run the assylum?

KT would have had a say in the captaincy call, they didn't listen to members and have taken that on board this year and rectified it. Who had the final say on this? I'd say the football department and the board more than the CEO.

Watch this space.

No real traction in China - Im not sure anyone outside of Alberton or AFL HQ knows how well (or otherwise) this is faring.

"No real traction" is just incorrect, the club is in a much better financial position than it was before the China Strategy was initiated.

Causing a disconnect between the club and it’s fans. How? I always felt that disconnect would have been worse without KT?

Did he cause it or was he a part of it? He himself admitted he was a part of it. Was he the cause? As with all organisations this big there's rarely one person to blame / at fault with matters like this, nobody has the autonomy / authority to cause that issue on their own.

Crowds dropping away as quickly as they have at Adelaide Oval. Not sure how much of that was within his control - He doesn't create the fixture nor poor onfield performances

He's overseen the whole shebang, if we're not winning because of any of his decisions then again, he's partly to blame but it's not all on him, I think the players can shoulder most of this weight with the head coach.

Port achieving no onfield success whilst in his tenure - Same as the previous line, but you're right, supporters will generally associate a player or officials time at a club with the level of success during their tenure.

KT took over in late 2011 ( from memory ) since then we've played finals '13, '14, '17 and finished below 10th once, in his first full year in 2012. No premierships, which is the ultimate success, no doubt, but given the 3 wins in 2011 in front of an average 19,000 people I'll take the last 7 years over that, any day.

Even the most ridiculously one-eyed Port Adelaide hater cannot mount a case to say the club is not in a vastly better position now than when KT arrived. In fact, you're no accepting logic or fact that we are if that's how you think.

Has everything on his watch been right? Nope, Hinkley's extension ( with hindsight ) and the co-captaincy ( again, with hindsight ) would be revisited if he had his time over I would say.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:15 pm

Brodlach wrote:Hopefully Port get a big fat donut in the win column in 2020

I'll bet you an apricot slice we don't. :D
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby LMA » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:18 pm

UK Fan wrote:KT started well but fair to say but he’s struggled the last few seasons.

Re-signing Hinkley incase he’s lost to Gold Coast
Not trusting his gut on the dual captaincy call
Struggling to attract that second major sponsor
No real traction in China
Causing a disconnect between the club and it’s fans.
Crowds dropping away as quickly as they have at Adelaide Oval.
Port achieving no onfield success whilst in his tenure

“The Norwood Flog” did a great job setting up PAFC initially at Adelaide Oval and NTUA will be forever in PAFC folklore imho.

So at this stage KT and Hinkley gone at years end (if no finals for Ken) Only Koch to go.

This has become personal for you, hasn't it? Are you in fact one of the "disconnected" fans?
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby UK Fan » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:34 pm

Booney wrote:Im not close to the inner workings of the club, but to play devils advocate ...

I think Hinkley and his team managed this very well, having said that we had just lost an elimination in OT after going 14-9 in 2017 and at that point he'd guided us to 3 finals campaigns in 5 years. I think Hinkley won the chess match here, but I'm not sure fans would have taken to him being sacked right at that point, either. ( 2018 and 2019 in hindsight they/we would have ).

KT would have had a say in the captaincy call, they didn't listen to members and have taken that on board this year and rectified it. Who had the final say on this? I'd say the football department and the board more than the CEO.

Watch this space.

"No real traction" is just incorrect, the club is in a much better financial position than it was before the China Strategy was initiated.

Did he cause it or was he a part of it? He himself admitted he was a part of it. Was he the cause? As with all organisations this big there's rarely one person to blame / at fault with matters like this, nobody has the autonomy / authority to cause that issue on their own.

He's overseen the whole shebang, if we're not winning because of any of his decisions then again, he's partly to blame but it's not all on him, I think the players can shoulder most of this weight with the head coach.

KT took over in late 2011 ( from memory ) since then we've played finals '13, '14, '17 and finished below 10th once, in his first full year in 2012. No premierships, which is the ultimate success, no doubt, but given the 3 wins in 2011 in front of an average 19,000 people I'll take the last 7 years over that, any day.

Even the most ridiculously one-eyed Port Adelaide hater cannot mount a case to say the club is not in a vastly better position now than when KT arrived. In fact, you're no accepting logic or fact that we are if that's how you think.

Has everything on his watch been right? Nope, Hinkley's extension ( with hindsight ) and the co-captaincy ( again, with hindsight ) would be revisited if he had his time over I would say.

Holy shit we mostly agree Mr Boon. KT would love a do over on his last couple of years imho. The momentum he built when Port moved to Adelaide Oval appears to be gone as he himself has conceded.

Outside of that he did a great job early doors as mentioned previously. We will just have to agree to disagree about the China traction.

It will be tough to find a better replacement IMHO.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby UK Fan » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:38 pm

LMA wrote:
UK Fan wrote:KT started well but fair to say but he’s struggled the last few seasons.

“The Norwood Flog” did a great job setting up PAFC initially at Adelaide Oval and NTUA will be forever in PAFC folklore imho.

So at this stage KT and Hinkley gone at years end (if no finals for Ken) Only Koch to go.

This has become personal for you, hasn't it? Are you in fact one of the "disconnected" fans?

Yet again you just couldn’t be more wrong. Most of the adults seem to agree with what’s written above.

I could not be happier with how much KT has messed it up tbh
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby LMA » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:00 pm

UK Fan wrote:
LMA wrote:

Yet again you just couldn’t be more wrong. Most of the adults seem to agree with what’s written above.

I could not be happier with how much KT has messed it up tbh

Not a disconnected fan then. As you don't identify as an AFL club supporter does your hatred of Port stem from still being butt hurt from your formative years of SANFL footy, or am I overthinking it and you're simply here to shit stir Port fans?

I'll let the adults decide.
LMA
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:09 am

LMA wrote:Not a disconnected fan then. As you don't identify as an AFL club supporter does your hatred of Port stem from still being butt hurt from your formative years of SANFL footy, or am I overthinking it and you're simply here to shit stir Port fans?

I'll let the adults decide.

It's some and A and some of B, the percentage of which varies dependant upon the fortunes of Centrals, his old side.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:22 am

Batman.....

Six-time Port Adelaide premiership defender Roger Delaney is no longer undergoing treatment and is feeling a lot better as he continues his recovery from prostate cancer surgery.

Delaney was diagnosed in January following a routine blood test – one month after popping in to see the Power’s 2018 pre-season camp in Noosa – and went under the knife in March.

The Sunshine Coast-based former full-back returned to Port training on both Friday and Monday as players hit the training track in Maroochydore.

Delaney, 53, chatted with club officials, past Magpies teammates Russell Johnston and Greg Boyd, and watched on as his 13-year-old twins Jada and Cooper ran water for the squad, just as they did last year.

“I’m a lot better and getting better all the time,” Delaney, who played 208 games for Port and one AFL match for Fitzroy, told The Advertiser.

“There’s probably another six months of recovery but most of the recovery has been done, which has been good.

“Treatment has stopped but I still haven’t got a full clearance yet.

“It’s a matter of monitoring it now and seeing if and where it comes back, if it does.

“But I’m feeling pretty healthy.”

Delaney’s cancer was considered high-grade but did not spread to other parts of his body.

He was thankful for the support he had received over the past 12 months from family, including his wife Jacqui, and friends, such as ex-teammates George Fiacchi, Tim Ginever and Rohan Smith.

“I’m only in my early 50s and to be diagnosed with an aggressive cancer, it was important for me to get the story out,” he said.

“But then for the outpouring of support to come back was pretty amazing.

“The Port Adelaide community got around me and still do to this day.”

The Power return’s to the Sunshine Coast for the second consecutive year is special for Delaney and his family, who are diehard Port supporters.

“The twins are getting a bit older now but they still just want to be around the club,” he said.

“They love the club as much as I do and really enjoy meeting their heroes.”

Next year Delaney plans to take his family to a handful of Power games in Adelaide, as well as the round one match on the Gold Coast.

Four-time premiership Magpie Boyd also popped in to watch two Power trainings, while flag-winning Port captain Johnston came on Monday.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby DOC » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:26 am

This is when football clubs can be at their best. Being there for when an old team mate (a very loyal one) needs support.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:54 am

Holy shit we mostly agree Mr Boon. KT would love a do over on his last couple of years imho. The momentum he built when Port moved to Adelaide Oval appears to be gone as he himself has conceded.

Outside of that he did a great job early doors as mentioned previously. We will just have to agree to disagree about the China traction.

It will be tough to find a better replacement IMHO.

**** close this site down if Booney and UK Fan can be on the same page (maybe different paragraphs) ISIS and the Yanks, Trump and Pelosi sorting their differences out will be a piece of cake!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby LMA » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:10 pm

DOC wrote:This is when football clubs can be at their best. Being there for when an old team mate (a very loyal one) needs support.

Spot on, at all levels of participation. Tight knit the old Port boys, some still go on a yearly "footy" trip to catch up.
LMA
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:57 am

LMA wrote:
DOC wrote:This is when football clubs can be at their best. Being there for when an old team mate (a very loyal one) needs support.

Spot on, at all levels of participation. Tight knit the old Port boys, some still go on a yearly "footy" trip to catch up.

The annual Xmas pageant / pub crawl attracts a decent turn out every year too. Several were in fine form this year, Richard Foster was in exceptional shape. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:03 pm

Booney wrote:
LMA wrote:

The annual Xmas pageant / pub crawl attracts a decent turn out every year too. Several were in fine form this year, Richard Foster was in exceptional shape. :lol:

Had a few beers with him and Rizza Saturday before last, ripper blokes. In fact most ex-footy players are, regardless of who they played for, but the old Port blokes always seem so down to earth.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:35 am

Has @rucci sent @Dutchy any DM's over the last 24 hours?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:39 am

Booney wrote:Has @rucci sent @Dutchy any DM's over the last 24 hours?

He is in the hills of Tuscany well out of range!

I miss him :(
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:39 am

Brodlach wrote:Hopefully Port get a big fat donut in the win column in 2020

No one gets a bagel these days but your mob the more likely candidate surely.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Booney » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:43 am

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:Has @rucci sent @Dutchy any DM's over the last 24 hours?

He is in the hills of Tuscany well out of range!

I miss him :(

I thought he be sending you details of Port's financials? Early figures released yesterday would be right to the liking of you both.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL