Trans Tasman Trophy

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Trans Tasman Trophy

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:52 am

David Brent wrote:
whufc wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Geezus Burns

Somewhat sadly because he seems like a good bloke the line has to be drawn through him.

Who you bringing in to open?

Just about open with Marnus, coming in so early anyway
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:55 am

whufc wrote:
David Brent wrote:
whufc wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Geezus Burns

Somewhat sadly because he seems like a good bloke the line has to be drawn through him.

Who you bringing in to open?

At the end of the day he literally is adding no value to the side so you might as well bring in any young cricketer who shows potential at least we might have a future test batsmen on our hands.

The bolter for mine is Bryce Street from Queensland.....you heard it here first. lol.

Leave the team be, how many Tests have we lost with Burns in the team?
Did his job today, Every Test we have batted first haven't we, not the easiest gig opening the batting.
Him being a right hander is a major plus. There is no other options presenting themselves so why change?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:18 pm

Not sure hitting 18 and facing only 39 balls is considered 'doing his job' at test level. I would think most teams would like to set a much higher bar than that.

A combination of being given more than ample opportunities for an at best par return, currently out of form, age not being on his side for me means his very replaceable.

We might not of lost many tests with him in the side this summer but you could literally have played with ten players and we still would have won every test.

Even David Warner is 33 and with a definite career in t20 awaiting him i wouldn't think he will go around for many more years. We might as well try and blood a promising cricketer whilst we have a strengthening middle order.

It's not that big a deal im really non fussed either way, like i said Burns seems like a good bloke but if ever there was a time we could afford to try a youngster now is it.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:32 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:From what I've read Southee has been dropped, wtf?!

Whisper that Southee has been dropped for disciplinary reasons - calling a review himself without following team protocols. Which has happened before apparently
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:37 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:From what I've read Southee has been dropped, wtf?!

Whisper that Southee has been dropped for disciplinary reasons - calling a review himself without following team protocols. Which has happened before apparently

Can any player on a team call a review. I would have thought that the captain has to communicate officially to the umpire the 'team' will be reviewing.
whufc
Coach

Postby David Brent » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:38 pm

whufc wrote:Not sure hitting 18 and facing only 39 balls is considered 'doing his job' at test level. I would think most teams would like to set a much higher bar than that.

A combination of being given more than ample opportunities for an at best par return, currently out of form, age not being on his side for me means his very replaceable.

We might not of lost many tests with him in the side this summer but you could literally have played with ten players and we still would have won every test.

Even David Warner is 33 and with a definite career in t20 awaiting him i wouldn't think he will go around for many more years. We might as well try and blood a promising cricketer whilst we have a strengthening middle order.

It's not that big a deal im really non fussed either way, like i said Burns seems like a good bloke but if ever there was a time we could afford to try a youngster now is it.

I can't see any need to change at this stage. The only player who could come in and average 3-5+ more opening up is Uzzie for me but I doubt anyone wants to go back to him?

Compare Burns's stats to the other openers around & he's going well. He deserves the two Bangladesh tests at least.

FC Ave Test Ave
Burns 39 38
Harris 37 24
Bancroft 37 26
D Hughes 38 -
Weatherald 33 -
Uzzie 42 40
Renshaw 34 33
Maddinson 38 6
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby locky801 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:55 pm

Warner gets another start and doesnt go on with it, has had an average series
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3647 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:06 pm

locky801 wrote:Warner gets another start and doesnt go on with it, has had an average series
Such a shit way to get out and you could see Warner was spewing with himself. Wagner's trap (while not well executed on that occasion) works again.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby jackpot jim » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:23 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
locky801 wrote:Warner gets another start and doesnt go on with it, has had an average series
Such a shit way to get out and you could see Warner was spewing with himself. Wagner's trap (while not well executed on that occasion) works again.

Shit way to get out for a shit bloke
seems fair to me
Anyway he knew the guy was there and hit the ball in the air to him, seems more of a dumb way to get out rather than shit

Meanwhile Smith is going after another world record of taking the most balls to get off the mark
33 balls faced and still hasn't scored :shock:
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:25 pm

I don't care what anyone says Steve Smith is one of the most selfish batsman we have had in a long time. He is also a very tough watch. Every Shield team has a better bowling line up than this yet he's playing them as though they are the best bowling attack to ever play the game
Boycott would be proud
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:31 pm

David Brent wrote:
whufc wrote:Not sure hitting 18 and facing only 39 balls is considered 'doing his job' at test level. I would think most teams would like to set a much higher bar than that.

I can't see any need to change at this stage. The only player who could come in and average 3-5+ more opening up is Uzzie for me but I doubt anyone wants to go back to him?

Compare Burns's stats to the other openers around & he's going well. He deserves the two Bangladesh tests at least.

FC Ave Test Ave
Burns 39 38
Harris 37 24
Bancroft 37 26
D Hughes 38 -
Weatherald 33 -
Uzzie 42 40
Renshaw 34 33
Maddinson 38 6

Burns got a delivery today that is good enough to get a majority of right handed batsman out.

Anyway good work DB, there's the evidence to show everyone that Burns is still the best option to partner Warner at the top of the order but while I think he should be there for the tour of Bangladesh he needs some runs in the second half of the Sheffield Shield season to justify his spot.

I think the most realistic options to replace him would be Harris and Khawaja but with Burns and Renshaw being the incumbent openers for Queensland then Khawaja won't open for them in the near future. If Harris get some runs in the second half of the shield season then he might challenge Burns for his spot, at 27 he has the age edge over some of the others.
Hughes at 30 has been a good opener for NSW but probably hasn't done enough or more than the others to stand out.
Renshaw at 23 is the one we all hope can make a mountain of runs as he still has plenty of time to work his way back into the side.
Weatherald at 25 has plenty of time on his side and potential aswell but needs to become more consistent.
Bancroft has had more opportunity than anyone else because he is one of Langers boys, I'd be disappointed if they drop Burns for him or pick him instead of Harris or Renshaw.
Last edited by The Dark Knight on Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:39 pm

Not often I disagree with you TDK but Burns played that ball terribly. Body weight all wrong and lurching forward
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:47 pm

daysofourlives wrote:I don't care what anyone says Steve Smith is one of the most selfish batsman we have had in a long time. He is also a very tough watch. Every Shield team has a better bowling line up than this yet he's playing them as though they are the best bowling attack to ever play the game
Boycott would be proud

He's made two hundreds in his last two matches at the SCG against Tasmania and WA, 106 from 258 and 103 from 295 SR of 41 and then 34 so pretty slow and has batted in that fashion in every test match.

Hasn't been as free flowing as we've seen him, I've been wondering if that's just him changing his game to occupy the crease and not being as aggressive, just him feeling out of touch or being a directive from the coaches and a game plan they have employed?
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:50 pm

Brodlach wrote:Not often I disagree with you TDK but Burns played that ball terribly. Body weight all wrong and lurching forward
Oh I agree, the way Burns moved made it look ugly. I just think it was still a real good delivery and with the swing de Grandhomme got he would nick up most batsman in that sort of fashion.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:00 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
David Brent wrote:

FC Ave Test Ave
Burns 39 38
Harris 37 24
Bancroft 37 26
D Hughes 38 -
Weatherald 33 -
Uzzie 42 40
Renshaw 34 33
Maddinson 38 6

Burns got a delivery today that is good enough to get a majority of right handed batsman out.

Anyway good work DB, there's the evidence to show everyone that Burns is still the best option to partner Warner at the top of the order but while I think he should be there for the tour of Bangladesh he needs some runs in the second half of the Sheffield Shield season to justify his spot.

I think the most realistic options to replace him would be Harris and Khawaja but with Burns and Renshaw being the incumbent openers for Queensland then Khawaja won't open for them in the near future. If Harris get some runs in the second half of the shield season then he might challenge Burns for his spot, at 27 he has the age edge over some of the others.
Hughes at 30 has been a good opener for NSW but probably hasn't done enough or more than the others to stand out.
Renshaw at 23 is the one we all hope can make a mountain of runs as he still has plenty of time to work his way back into the side.
Weatherald at 25 has plenty of time on his side and potential aswell but needs to become more consistent.
Bancroft has had more opportunity than anyone else because he is one of Langers boys, I'd be disappointed if they drop Burns for him or pick him instead of Harris or Renshaw.

Disagree. I think those stats proved that he is barely ahead of any of the other options and being 30 and out of form is enough reason to potentially give some one else a go that is more of a long term answer. Even with Khawaja at least he has the upside that his absolute best is 'world class'.. Burns doesnt even have that on his side.
Last edited by whufc on Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby Bandit » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:01 pm

Smith batting slowly isnt an issue while tests are wrapping up on day 4. We need this sort of resilience when it comes to playing the decent sides.
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 105 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:12 pm

Smith to ton up with a strike rate of better than 50%. The bloke is a batting genius.

.......watch him get out next ball.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:14 pm

whufc wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
David Brent wrote:

FC Ave Test Ave
Burns 39 38
Harris 37 24
Bancroft 37 26
D Hughes 38 -
Weatherald 33 -
Uzzie 42 40
Renshaw 34 33
Maddinson 38 6

Disagree. I think those stats proved that he is barely ahead of any of the other options and being 30 and out of form is enough reason to potentially give some one else a go that is more of a long term answer. Even with Khawaja at least he has the upside that his absolute best is 'world class'.. Burns doesnt even have that on his side.

Yes barely ahead but still ahead of them at this point in time.
Who would you drop for Burns right now?
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:38 pm

daysofourlives wrote:I don't care what anyone says Steve Smith is one of the most selfish batsman we have had in a long time. He is also a very tough watch. Every Shield team has a better bowling line up than this yet he's playing them as though they are the best bowling attack to ever play the game
Boycott would be proud

You are kidding. This is test cricket and he always tries to wear down the opposition. How can that be described as selfish?
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:18 pm

I don’t want to tempt fate but Henry is poo
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket