Finance Troubles

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Finance Troubles

Postby Al22 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:36 pm

Brett wrote:Reading some comments on here , it sounds like Centrals have been poorly managed ? A coach who stayed too long and the club not rejuvenating . The lights were a big hit financially apparently.
No one has mentioned fans have dropped off due to being spoiled for success and not really Footy followers ?? Just a thought

Some facts:

In 1988, CDFC equity was $903k.
In 1998 it was $590k.
In 2008 it was $2,834k.
In 2018 it was $2,641k.
In 2019, equity was $2,720k and revenue was $7,500k

All figures above are in 2019 dollars. Equity is the value of assets minus liabilities. Liabilities include outstanding loans. The rise in equity from 1998 to 2008 was quite spectacular. The fall from 2014 to now was much slower. Finances have very closely followed on field success or failure.

The losses since 2014 are obviously not desirable but shouldn’t be called “financial trouble” unless the downward trend continues when the on field performance goes back up again. Next year!
Al22
Mini-League

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Brett » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:39 pm

Try reading my comment more carefully before you attack . I wouldn't have sacked him after a premiership . I never said that however I would have have said we are parting ways a few years back.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby whufc » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:09 am

Brett wrote:Try reading my comment more carefully before you attack . I wouldn't have sacked him after a premiership . I never said that however I would have have said we are parting ways a few years back.

In fairness if ever a coach deserved an extended period to turn a clubs fortunes around Lairdy was probably the perfect man.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby goddy11 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:11 pm

Doddy wrote:
Brett wrote:Reading some comments on here , it sounds like Centrals have been poorly managed ? A coach who stayed too long and the club not rejuvenating . The lights were a big hit financially apparently.
No one has mentioned fans have dropped off due to being spoiled for success and not really Footy followers ?? Just a thought

... says the regular troll who never declares an allegiance.

Storm in a teacup. "Financial Troubles" is a long way from asking the council for a discount. Sounds like good management to try and minimise your expenses by available means, and if you can do that without affecting the football department then all the better.

I don't think Brett has supplied any evidence to support his thread. All clubs have up and down periods financially. Has he any evidence the club has been poorly managed or just trolling. I don't think having a successful coach for a long period is a reason for bad management.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby LMA » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:43 am

goddy11 wrote:
Doddy wrote:

... says the regular troll who never declares an allegiance.

Storm in a teacup. "Financial Troubles" is a long way from asking the council for a discount. Sounds like good management to try and minimise your expenses by available means, and if you can do that without affecting the football department then all the better.

I don't think Brett has supplied any evidence to support his thread. All clubs have up and down periods financially. Has he any evidence the club has been poorly managed or just trolling. I don't think having a successful coach for a long period is a reason for bad management.

Brett is credible. Just ask Michael and Bounce of the Ball :P
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Brett » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:38 pm

Creepy now .
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:55 am

I think you're half right Brett. When we were winning, everyone wanted a piece of the action, at the GF after parties there were hundreds of people there that I'd never seen before, most of the people there wouldn't have been members either. As soon as the premierships dried up, the glory seekers disappeared but they'll slink back in when & if we start being successful again, this is the same with every club!
The good news is we will be debt-free in 2021, we're doing things outside of footy to make more money & will be able to do more things once the debt has gone.
There is an air of positivity about the club which happens with change, a new coach & some good recruits will do that.
The good news is I think we've come through our toughest era since the very early days & we haven't "won" a spoon.
All clubs apart from the Eagles that we have met in a GF since 2000 HAVE hit rock bottom & won a spoon & I think this shows just how tough & resilient my club is.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby JK » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:14 am

gazzamagoo wrote:I think you're half right Brett. When we were winning, everyone wanted a piece of the action, at the GF after parties there were hundreds of people there that I'd never seen before, most of the people there wouldn't have been members either. As soon as the premierships dried up, the glory seekers disappeared but they'll slink back in when & if we start being successful again, this is the same with every club!
The good news is we will be debt-free in 2021, we're doing things outside of footy to make more money & will be able to do more things once the debt has gone.
There is an air of positivity about the club which happens with change, a new coach & some good recruits will do that.
The good news is I think we've come through our toughest era since the very early days & we haven't "won" a spoon.
All clubs apart from the Eagles that we have met in a GF since 2000 HAVE hit rock bottom & won a spoon & I think this shows just how tough & resilient my club is.

Great post mate
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:13 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:I think you're half right Brett. When we were winning, everyone wanted a piece of the action, at the GF after parties there were hundreds of people there that I'd never seen before, most of the people there wouldn't have been members either. As soon as the premierships dried up, the glory seekers disappeared but they'll slink back in when & if we start being successful again, this is the same with every club!

Replace Central with The Chooks & don't change a word.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:42 pm

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:

Replace Central with The Chooks & don't change a word.

Think you can replace Central with any clubs name. All clubs have a stack of front runners that are nowhere to be found when times are tough
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Brett » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:25 pm

Firstly , thanks for a sensible post without the attack. My concern for Centrals and a couple other clubs is the ones with small supporter bases . Centrals , as agree had a huge following when sucessful but they have gone as maybe not the ones the club wants back anyway. I will get shut down for this as well but West , South and Eagles have a small supporter base. Interestingly 3 of those clubs were very wealthy in the Pokies time. That has now gone. You must as a club embrace members and find other revenue streams. Im glad the Dogs are .
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:07 am

Consider the economic impact the closure of Holdens and the associated supply chain has had on the area, too. Finding those mid range sponsors ( $5-10k per year ) is, I would think, much harder than in years gone by and those who have hung on might not have been able to sustain or increase sponsorship over he last 3-5 years. Everything else goes up, supplier costs etc, but revenue stands still or decreases from those sponsors.

I'd imagine the gaming revenue has probably remained about the same, I'd think the meals/bar revenue has probably dropped and game day revenue with crowds down and spending down.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:20 am

Booney wrote:

Consider the economic impact the closure of Holdens and the associated supply chain has had on the area, too. Finding those mid range sponsors ( $5-10k per year ) is, I would think, much harder than in years gone by and those who have hung on might not have been able to sustain or increase sponsorship over he last 3-5 years. Everything else goes up, supplier costs etc, but revenue stands still or decreases from those sponsors.

I'd imagine the gaming revenue has probably remained about the same, I'd think the meals/bar revenue has probably dropped and game day revenue with crowds down and spending down.

Hopefully the development of the second great city project or whatever marketing name it has brings some much needed business into the area and potential sponsorship dollars.

I wonder how much having Adelaide United move into the region has affected Centrals sponsorship opportunities........i honestly dont know the answer to that. Throw in the tennis facility which also holds an 'international' event that continues to grow each year and there is only so much 'sports sponsorship' dollars to go around.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby holden78 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:52 am

The state has f... all business growth for decades. The rest of the country has moved on but not SA.
Blame inept state governments here for being hopeless because that’s the main issue with grassroots
sponsorship income.
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:04 am

holden78 wrote:The state has f... all business growth for decades. The rest of the country has moved on but not SA.
Blame inept state governments here for being hopeless because that’s the main issue with grassroots
sponsorship income.

I don't sponsor the club anymore because the crowds have dropped so much, no point in putting up signs at the footy if no-one sees them.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL