Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby stan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:18 am

DOC wrote:AS a result of today's ABC scoop that the Minister's office staff were instructed to color code the applications into which party held the seat and which were marginal, the current Minister Richard Colbeck has asked the secretary for Health and the CEO of Sport Australia for an assurance that the leak did not come from their agencies.

That confirms that it is true. What a dill. "We asked Minister and everyone said not me so it was not us".

A public servant will get more of a punishment than the former Minister for Sports.

You can have an educated guess as to who else is involved by their support.
I saw that press release, strange thing really. Seems like the Libs are more concerned about how the information got out rather than what has actually been done.

Georgie Downer and her grant to the Yankallia football club made me laugh. Whilst I have no issues with a football club getting a grant, she's not and still and hasn't been the elected member for mayo.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Magellan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:23 am

stan wrote:Georgie Downer and her grant to the Yankallia football club made me laugh. Whilst I have no issues with a football club getting a grant, she's not and still and hasn't been the elected member for mayo.

And she won't be, since she returned to Victoria late last year. Makes you wonder whether the Libs can parachute her into a spot anywhere - if you can't win back the seat that is the home of the family dynasty, then perhaps she ought to go back to working for the IPA.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby stan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:49 am

Magellan wrote:
stan wrote:Georgie Downer and her grant to the Yankallia football club made me laugh. Whilst I have no issues with a football club getting a grant, she's not and still and hasn't been the elected member for mayo.

And she won't be, since she returned to Victoria late last year. Makes you wonder whether the Libs can parachute her into a spot anywhere - if you can't win back the seat that is the home of the family dynasty, then perhaps she ought to go back to working for the IPA.
Very true.
stan
Coach

Postby stan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:51 am

The sports grants rort is getting be by the day.

In all honesty I appreciate the level of organisation that McKenzie and her office went to in regards color coding the seats and using a spreadsheet to work out the marginal battle ground seats.

If your going to use sports grants to win battle ground seats then organisation is a key.
stan
Coach

Postby cracka » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:41 pm

Talk on 5aa is that she'll be safe because she's the only female from the Nationals & will be a bad look if she's sacked. The thinking is its similar to when Labour had their own sports rort & Ros Kelly resigned, it cost them her seat & ultimately the next election.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Magellan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:00 pm

cracka wrote:Talk on 5aa is that she'll be safe because she's the only female from the Nationals & will be a bad look if she's sacked. The thinking is its similar to when Labour had their own sports rort & Ros Kelly resigned, it cost them her seat & ultimately the next election.

Interesting. I don't think Labor lost the 1996 election solely on the basis of the Ros Kelly saga, though. They would've been turfed out either way, and ended up losing convincingly.

It'll be a bad look for Morrison and the Coalition of she's kept on, though, as this story's been around for a while now and it isn't going away. Parliament resumes Tuesday next week and you can bet London to a brick that Labor have her firmly in their sights. He should cut her loose now, but then again, that'd be conceding the point, and you can do that under Scotty's game/marketing plan.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:28 pm

Magellan wrote:
cracka wrote:Talk on 5aa is that she'll be safe because she's the only female from the Nationals & will be a bad look if she's sacked. The thinking is its similar to when Labour had their own sports rort & Ros Kelly resigned, it cost them her seat & ultimately the next election.

Interesting. I don't think Labor lost the 1996 election solely on the basis of the Ros Kelly saga, though. They would've been turfed out either way, and ended up losing convincingly.

It'll be a bad look for Morrison and the Coalition of she's kept on, though, as this story's been around for a while now and it isn't going away. Parliament resumes Tuesday next week and you can bet London to a brick that Labor have her firmly in their sights. He should cut her loose now, but then again, that'd be conceding the point, and you can do that under Scotty's game/marketing plan.

It's pretty obvious from most recent developments to the story that this was a concoction from the very top of the LNP. MacKenzie played her part, but the fish rots from the head.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby stan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:23 pm

Q. wrote:
Magellan wrote:

It's pretty obvious from most recent developments to the story that this was a concoction from the very top of the LNP. MacKenzie played her part, but the fish rots from the head.
Rock and a hard place.

Either a scape goat for the LNP and the Nats female problem gets worse keep her on, female problem is ok but the corruption buying of seats issue.
stan
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:32 pm

If I'm a national voter then I want the best possible candidate male or female.
If a woman is the best possible candidate great!
Having quotas is diluting the quality of government and us plebs are suffering.

It seems she's screwing up consistently, in which case she's incompetent.
But due to quotas she has to be there, which is embarrassing for her, because she really is in way over her head.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:20 pm

tigerpie wrote:If I'm a national voter then I want the best possible candidate male or female.
If a woman is the best possible candidate great!
Having quotas is diluting the quality of government and us plebs are suffering.

It seems she's screwing up consistently, in which case she's incompetent.
But due to quotas she has to be there, which is embarrassing for her, because she really is in way over her head.

The Nationals need to bring in quality females like Kristina Keneally
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby cracka » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:38 am

Magellan wrote:

Yeah, a bit of googling & Labour lost her seat in the subsequent by-election from her resignation but regained it in the 96 election.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Magellan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:54 am

Morrison is now suggesting the government will dole out cash to sporting clubs that were deserving of funds before the pork-barrelling took over.

Who wants some money? Everyone now wins a prize! Not what the party that likes to pitch itself as responsible economic mangers would typically do, eh? Anyway, nothing to see here, Scotty said so.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/mckenzie-saga-could-drag-on-to-weekend-as-morrison-manages-fall-out-20200129-p53vxh.html
Magellan
Coach

Postby stan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:17 am

Magellan wrote:Morrison is now suggesting the government will dole out cash to sporting clubs that were deserving of funds before the pork-barrelling took over.

Who wants some money? Everyone now wins a prize! Not what the party that likes to pitch itself as responsible economic mangers would typically do, eh? Anyway, nothing to see here, Scotty said so.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/mckenzie-saga-could-drag-on-to-weekend-as-morrison-manages-fall-out-20200129-p53vxh.html
I don't think think will sway much public opinion.

At the end of the day, they made the decisions. They sat down, work out the marginal seats and allocated sports grants accordingly.

When you get asked about it, simply denying it by saying "that's not why we did it" doesn't help.

You are in deep, take the hit. That's all you can do.

I can't wait to find out the details of who leaked it and where it came from.
stan
Coach

Postby Magellan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:28 am

The Libs will want to sort this out before Parliament sits again next Tuesday, as I said earlier. Labor wont let this rest until McKenzie is put to the sword (at the very least), which suggest she'll go by sometime tomorrow, depending to some extent on the results of the internal review that Morrison commissioned.
Magellan
Coach

Postby stan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:26 pm

Magellan wrote:The Libs will want to sort this out before Parliament sits again next Tuesday, as I said earlier. Labor wont let this rest until McKenzie is put to the sword (at the very least), which suggest she'll go by sometime tomorrow, depending to some extent on the results of the internal review that Morrison commissioned.
The internal review is more about where the leak came from and then also measuring the damage of each scenario.
stan
Coach

Postby Magellan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:47 pm

Bridget McKenzie finally goneski.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Q. » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:39 pm

Magellan wrote:Bridget McKenzie finally goneski.

Nice scapegoat for that scoundrel Morrison. I hope the media, the opposition, anyone, continue to go hard at him for his central role in corruptly using taxpayer money to sway an election campaign.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby tigerpie » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:56 am

I'm loving the fact the report quotes percentages were very even in distribution so she has no case to answer. Laughable!
But didn't mention late applications or the ones that didn't meet the criteria.
She was a plainly crap minister and everything she touches turns to shit.
#quotasdontwork
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby stan » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:35 am

tigerpie wrote:I'm loving the fact the report quotes percentages were very even in distribution so she has no case to answer. Laughable!
But didn't mention late applications or the ones that didn't meet the criteria.
She was a plainly crap minister and everything she touches turns to shit.
#quotasdontwork
My favourites will always be the grants approved without applications.

Clearly all above board and nothing to see here.
stan
Coach

Postby stan » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:46 am

Q. wrote:
Magellan wrote:Bridget McKenzie finally goneski.

Nice scapegoat for that scoundrel Morrison. I hope the media, the opposition, anyone, continue to go hard at him for his central role in corruptly using taxpayer money to sway an election campaign.
Peter Van Onselen who is a coloumist with the Australian is going pretty hard on this. Seems to be the only one so I would suggest his days of working for the Australian are probably over.

Anyway he's been going hard at the moment. Looks like he is set to continue to do so.
stan
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics