The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Jim05 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:41 am

Dutchy wrote:I see the knuckle draggers were online in the last 24 hours :shock:

AFLW/SANFLW is more footy, with more participants, largely at a time of year when there is no footy, if you don't like it don't watch it, its pretty simple.

I don’t watch it and hence I don’t comment on the AFLW thread.
FWIW though it’s great that more girls are getting into the sport and hopefully one day they can make a decent living out of like the women golfers, tennis players etc.
I also dislike many male sports and won’t watch them either and you couldn’t pay me to go and watch a lower division ammo football game but hey everyone is different. I’ve turned off many games of AFL football and left plenty of SANFL games early because the standard is crap aswell so if the product doesn’t appeal to me I’m not interested
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Mr Fuller » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:32 am

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Of course the AFLW is here to stay but maybe it’s about time they stand on their own 2 feet and stop dining off the success of the Men’s comp. If they start charging entrance fees and get their own multi million dollar TV contracts then most people wouldn’t care less if the players were paid big bikkies. Bit rich of them to expect the men’s comp to subside them

At least we're moving forward as a society.

It’s got nothing to do with being gender based as I have the same argument with blokes at work that play at a good level of soccer in Adelaide and are always whinging about the poor money A-League players earn. Players pay is dictated by what income the comp makes so quite simply you want more pay you need to attract more people to games and offer a product that sponsors will jump at.
The women’s golf tournament just held in Adelaide is the richest golf event for male or female in the country so there is plenty of money out there for women’s sport if you can attract the right sponsors

That's such a narrow minded view. If AFLW attracts more females into participation it's highly likely those women will become consumers of the AFL therefore increasing viewership ( the biggest money spinner for the AFL - TV rights ) and potentially memberships of AFL clubs. Little girls, who ten years ago didn't dream of an AFL pathway will now buy guernseys from clubs, become members, consume the product that they once didn't and whether it's AFL or AFLW they're consuming it's good for the game. I watched 20 minutes of Adelaide v St Kilda yesterday, would have seen 8 or 10 little girls in Adelaide AFLW guernseys, that's revenue the club, the game, didn't have 5 years ago.

Plus, I'd rather the AFL put money towards the womens game over paying Brad Scott $600k a year so North don't have to.

I'd say the bulk of the women who play AFLW were consumers of AFL content well before the introduction of a woman's footy league. And they would be consumers irrespective of whether there is a woman's league going forward or not. That includes buying membership. Yes you could argue that a couple of parent's buy their daughters AFLW guernseys that would otherwise not have been purchased but the return on this would be far less than the money they siphon off from the men.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:44 am

Mr Fuller wrote:
I'd say the bulk of the women who play AFLW were consumers of AFL content well before the introduction of a woman's footy league. And they would be consumers irrespective of whether there is a woman's league going forward or not. That includes buying membership. Yes you could argue that a couple of parent's buy their daughters AFLW guernseys that would otherwise not have been purchased but the return on this would be far less than the money they siphon off from the men.

You've missed my point, the young girls who once kicked and screamed about going to watch their brothers play footy can now not only participate but in time spend their own disposable income on the game. Like the AFL, in time it will fund itself.

Like Gold Coast and GWS, this is the long game the AFL is playing and it's already winning in the TV market. Fox walking away from Super Rugby shows the level of interest there and the NRL rival the SANFL for crowd numbers.

The AFL once had a strangle hold on around 50% of the market (men) in 4 states ( WA/SA/Vic/Tas) , now it might be, with NSW and Queensland and women it could be far, far beyond that one day.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:01 am

Booney wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:

You've missed my point, the young girls who once kicked and screamed about going to watch their brothers play footy can now not only participate but in time spend their own disposable income on the game. Like the AFL, in time it will fund itself.

Like Gold Coast and GWS, this is the long game the AFL is playing and it's already winning in the TV market. Fox walking away from Super Rugby shows the level of interest there and the NRL rival the SANFL for crowd numbers.

The AFL once had a strangle hold on around 50% of the market (men) in 4 states ( WA/SA/Vic/Tas) , now it might be, with NSW and Queensland and women it could be far, far beyond that one day.

I agree with most of that. Super rugby is dying and Rugby Union is on its knees in Australia but Rugby league will never be overtaken in QLD and NSW, that’s as fanciful as people who predicted soccer to dominate here. Attendance has and always will be crap at League games but that’s the fickle fans of Sydney and Brisbane. Out in country areas of NSW AFL barely gets a mention except for a few small pockets near the Vic border, Rugby league is still well and truly the king in NSW and the women’s comps are booming
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby LMA » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:29 am

No AFLW in The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby whufc » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:01 pm

Womens comp has been fantastic and is being brilliantly supported albeit free entrances.

If nothing else im glad my 3 girls now have further options/passions/sport involvement they can look at as they grow older.
Last edited by whufc on Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:28 pm

whufc wrote:Womens comp has been fantastic and is being brilliant supported albeit free entrances.

If nothing else im glad my 3 girls now have further options/passions/sport involvement they can look at as they grow older.

Bingo, that right there.
12 years ago when my eldest went on to play seniors there were a fair few older & past players who had only daughters, they used to have a beer with us & tell me how lucky I was to be able to see my two play footy & they were stuck with a lifetime of netball & soccer clubs. Once the ammys picked up on the girls teams Fitzroy started up a couple of junior girls teams, these were players daughters who literally dragged out their netball & soccer mates to play. After a couple of years they made & won a u15s flag, these blokes who always came out & encouraged my son were in tears, they were so proud & delighted that they could experience a footy premiership with their girls, even if it was a junior c grade or whatever.
They need a goal to go for & the AFLW is just that.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby MW » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:46 pm

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
whufc wrote:Womens comp has been fantastic and is being brilliant supported albeit free entrances.

Bingo, that right there.
12 years ago when my eldest went on to play seniors there were a fair few older & past players who had only daughters, they used to have a beer with us & tell me how lucky I was to be able to see my two play footy & they were stuck with a lifetime of netball & soccer clubs. Once the ammys picked up on the girls teams Fitzroy started up a couple of junior girls teams, these were players daughters who literally dragged out their netball & soccer mates to play. After a couple of years they made & won a u15s flag, these blokes who always came out & encouraged my son were in tears, they were so proud & delighted that they could experience a footy premiership with their girls, even if it was a junior c grade or whatever.

Bingo. That was me last year.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1821 times

Postby Spargo » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:10 pm

Booney wrote:Plus, I'd rather the AFL put money towards the womens game over paying Brad Scott $600k a year so North don't have to.

:lol:
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5456 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:26 pm

Spargo wrote:
Booney wrote:Plus, I'd rather the AFL put money towards the womens game over paying Brad Scott $600k a year so North don't have to.

:lol:

Ya like that? 8)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brett » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:16 pm

LMA wrote:
Brett wrote:
DOC wrote:Certainly not in this thread. There is a thread dedicated to AFLW.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=41683

Certainly does belong here . I cant believe the attention female footy gets at the expense of State Leagues . The money that goes into it is ridiculous. The AFL know people wont give if its not free. Can you imagine the uproar if a male stated this publicly. Whatever happened to equal rights .

Maybe the SANFL should open the gates at a Westies game then. I don't think they would match the crowd that was there today.

And give them the media exposure .
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby LMA » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:19 pm

Brett wrote:
LMA wrote:
Brett wrote:
DOC wrote:Certainly not in this thread. There is a thread dedicated to AFLW.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=41683

Certainly does belong here . I cant believe the attention female footy gets at the expense of State Leagues . The money that goes into it is ridiculous. The AFL know people wont give if its not free. Can you imagine the uproar if a male stated this publicly. Whatever happened to equal rights .

Maybe the SANFL should open the gates at a Westies game then. I don't think they would match the crowd that was there today.

Always hard to get media exposure when your in a 2nd tier comp. That's sport.
LMA
Coach

Postby Brett » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:35 pm

Are you saying Womans footy is the next the standard to the AFL ?
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby LMA » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:04 pm

Brett wrote:Are you saying Womans footy is the next the standard to the AFL ?

:lol: No. The AFLW is the top flight for female Aussie Rules players.
LMA
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:21 am

LMA wrote:
Brett wrote:
DOC wrote:Certainly does belong here . I cant believe the attention female footy gets at the expense of State Leagues . The money that goes into it is ridiculous. The AFL know people wont give if its not free. Can you imagine the uproar if a male stated this publicly. Whatever happened to equal rights .

Always hard to get media exposure when your in a 2nd tier comp. That's sport.[/quote]

The Championship In the uk and college basketball/football would get easily more coverage than women’s soccer/basketball/football leagues in those countries.

It’s not just a sport problem.

How can crows vs st Kilda in AFLW get a bigger crowd than West Adelaide vs crows in the sanfl ?? I’d say it’s because the crows/power haven’t bad mouthed aflw for the last 15 years. Blaming them for Everything that’s gone wrong with their clubs unlike the SANFL.

Now we have aflw wouldn’t that mean the state league clubs would now have double the junior talent(men and women)that need development to afl pathways. Meaning junior funding should double ??
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby LMA » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:47 pm

The Championship and College sports are National the SANFL is not.
LMA
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:51 pm

LMA wrote:The Championship and College sports are National the SANFL is not.

Silly user of facts.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:14 pm

LMA wrote:The Championship and College sports are National the SANFL is not.

The South Australian Not-national Football League?
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby stan » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:36 pm

UK Fan wrote:
LMA wrote:
Brett wrote:
DOC wrote:Certainly does belong here . I cant believe the attention female footy gets at the expense of State Leagues . The money that goes into it is ridiculous. The AFL know people wont give if its not free. Can you imagine the uproar if a male stated this publicly. Whatever happened to equal rights .

Always hard to get media exposure when your in a 2nd tier comp. That's sport.

The Championship In the uk and college basketball/football would get easily more coverage than women’s soccer/basketball/football leagues in those countries.

It’s not just a sport problem.

How can crows vs st Kilda in AFLW get a bigger crowd than West Adelaide vs crows in the sanfl ?? I’d say it’s because the crows/power haven’t bad mouthed aflw for the last 15 years. Blaming them for Everything that’s gone wrong with their clubs unlike the SANFL.

Now we have aflw wouldn’t that mean the state league clubs would now have double the junior talent(men and women)that need development to afl pathways. Meaning junior funding should double ??[/quote]I also think there is a difference with the open gate as well.

Then add the media exposure.

As for Port and the Crows bad mouthing the SANFL and it being a factor, think that's a fairly long now. Port bitch and moan all the time and nobody really takes that much notice to be honest.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:10 pm

MW wrote:
Sheik Yerbouti wrote:

Bingo, that right there.

Bingo. That was me last year.

So I think we can all agree its only people that have family members involved that have any interest in womens football.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL