Port Adelaide 2020

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2020

Postby mots02 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:20 am

Booney wrote:
mots02 wrote:I see they've already recruited you as the Brand Ambassador!

Nothing for nothing mate. 8)

I'm a car nuff so when something new comes along and I look at it, read up. It's why my last car and this current one is a Skoda, I look around at value for money, fuel efficiency, resale/trade in ( Skoda have a guaranteed buy back scheme for lease vehicles ).

mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 854 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:43 pm

MG on board with a 5 year deal as major partner :

THE PORT ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB is honoured to welcome MG Motor as a new joint major partner under a multi-year deal connecting one of the world’s largest car manufacturers with one of Australia’s most successful sporting organisations.

The partnership – announced today on Montefiore Hill, overlooking the club’s AFL home ground of Adelaide Oval - also marks the first time MG Motor has partnered with an AFL club, demonstrating the confidence it has in the future direction of Port Adelaide.

Port Adelaide Chairman David Koch said the club was thrilled to partner with MG Motor and honoured to wear such a long-established and internationally respected automotive brand on its guernsey.

“MG Motor is an established global company with a rich history in Australia and Port Adelaide could not be prouder of this partnership,” Mr Koch said.

“With MG Motor joining us as a joint major partner, we continue in our strategic drive to broaden Port Adelaide’s brand and make ourselves a bigger player in the national and international market.

“We are very grateful for the support MG Motor has extended to Port Adelaide and the belief it has shown in our future.”

Peter Ciao, CEO of MG Motor Australia said, “We are thrilled to be entering into a five-year major partnership with Port Adelaide Football Club.”

“MG Motor and Port Adelaide are two iconic brands with storied histories and a desire to continue innovating in our respective fields.

“Port Adelaide is also investing in the growth and development of its side, with the league leading percentage of young players on its team, something which MG Motor aligns strongly with – as we continue on our journey of bringing our new model line up to the Australian market, building trust and providing more choice in the passenger car segment.

“It is these similarities that cemented the partnership and excite us as we prepare for our first season collaborating together.

“AFL fans are some of Australia’s most passionate sporting supporters much like our classic and modern MG owner groups and we look forward watching the season unfold.”

The MG Motor name and logo will appear on the front of Port Adelaide’s home guernsey and on the back of its away strip.

Mr Koch said MG Motor’s slogan – “Fun motoring for life” – was highly appropriate for Port Adelaide.

“MG Motor’s philosophy of fun and innovaton is a perfect fit for Port Adelaide as we celebrate our 150th anniversary,” he said.

“Yes the AFL is a highly competitive industry but it is a game we all love and connect so deeply with. Football should be enjoyable whether you’re a player or a supporter and through our partnership with MG Motor we will continue to drive the notion of fun within everything we do, including our family friendly industry-leading game-day experience at Adelaide Oval.

“There is so much to look forward to at Port Adelaide. On one hand we will celebrate our rich history as Australia’s most successful league football club in 2020, while at the same time confidently look forward with one of the most exciting young playing lists in the competition.

“Now we welcome a great new friend in MG Motor to the Port Adelaide family and to have the company as a driving force behind us is just wonderful for Port Adelaide.

“Port Adelaide was of course established in 1870 and MG Motor was founded in 1924 and while we both have a rich history, we also share great excitement for what the future holds.”
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:01 pm

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:[quote="Booney"]New sponsor announcement soon.

MG?
Chinese company based in Shanghai, makes sense.
If so, another bonus from the Power's association with China.
Smart as the local fish and chip shop doesn't cut it these days.

To have obtained a major partner directly through the China Strategy is an excellent outcome. MG are really pushing hard in the Australian market, I noticed they were all over the NBL courts that I had seen during the season so clearly they're looking at gaining some exposure here. Great work by all of those behind the scenes at Alberton.

From what I understand it's a longer term commitment and a significant agreement in $$$ terms.

Sounds like a decent commitment and they are making a big push into Australia. I’m not sure how successful they will be as they are a bit of a niche market but they are having a good crack at it

Small SUV's with small fuel efficient engines ( some are 1.5lt petrol turbo quoting 7.3lt / 100km or 1lt petrol turbo quoting 6.3lt / 100km ) are pretty common in our market place. With Sat Nav, 8" touchscreen, sunroof, bluetooth, cruise, side curtain airbags for under $30k drive away they'll be an interesting option for plenty of people. They're also offering $1000 cash back with a 7 year unlimited KM warranty and 7 year roadside to boot.[/quote]
I understand the appeal to some but the quality is a major concern for me. Their parent company produce some absolute lemons but hopefully this hasn’t filtered down to the MG side of the business
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:07 pm

Jim05 wrote:I understand the appeal to some but the quality is a major concern for me. Their parent company produce some absolute lemons but hopefully this hasn’t filtered down to the MG side of the business

Agreed, you get what you pay for and if you get all that under $30k you have to question the quality, but, 7 year warranty will help.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:10 pm

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:I understand the appeal to some but the quality is a major concern for me. Their parent company produce some absolute lemons but hopefully this hasn’t filtered down to the MG side of the business

Agreed, you get what you pay for and if you get all that under $30k you have to question the quality, but, 7 year warranty will help.

Definitely.
MG has been fairly respected for many years so hopefully SAIC use a better quality of material, parts and labour than what they do for the LDV production.
The more quality cars in Australia the better
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby LMA » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:43 pm

Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Booney wrote:New sponsor announcement soon.

MG?

To have obtained a major partner directly through the China Strategy is an excellent outcome. MG are really pushing hard in the Australian market, I noticed they were all over the NBL courts that I had seen during the season so clearly they're looking at gaining some exposure here. Great work by all of those behind the scenes at Alberton.

From what I understand it's a longer term commitment and a significant agreement in $$$ terms.

But I thought the success of the China Strategy was determined by crowd figures :)

Good job Port, hopefully it pays dividends.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:57 am

LMA wrote:
Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

MG?

But I thought the success of the China Strategy was determined by crowd figures :)

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:58 am

Two more sponsorship announcements to be made before round 1, one a global brand out of China.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:31 am

If you were a Port fan you would just have to be pretty positive about the off-field management in recent times. Both from a financial sustainability point of view and community impact.

Ill go wash my mouth out now.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:40 am

whufc wrote:If you were a Port fan you would just have to be pretty positive about the off-field management in recent times. Both from a financial sustainability point of view and community impact.

Copied. Pasted. Stored.

We're still a long way from being in the black (white and teal), however agreements like this certainly help. There's little doubt the China Strategy ( despite this years game increasingly likely to not go ahead ) is paying dividends for the club.

Most importantly we've now got a full time employee in Shanghai working the business circuit :

(Nov 6, 2019 )

The most significant signing of Port Adelaide’s off-season could prove to be the one that took place in Shanghai just this morning.

Zhang Tao (or Tony Zhang, in the anglicised version) is a career diplomat who has managed Austrade’s Qingdao office in Shandong Province and served as a Trade Commissioner at the Australian Embassy in Beijing, overseeing financial services, mining, energy and food and beverage.

In 2009 he was appointed as the NSW government’s Commissioner of Trade and Investment in Shanghai, charged with attracting billions of dollars of investment into Sydney and forging close ties with Chinese government at all levels.

This is a really important step for the club, a full time trade negotiator on the ground working for the club in Shanghai.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:01 pm

LMA wrote:
Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

MG?

No you need China due to lack of crowds. I thought that obvious.

Plus Financial success is thru depreciation write offs and revaluing memorabilia.

Everyone knows that.

Didn’t Renault sign up as sponsors of PAFC long term not that long ago ?? How did that turn out ??
Last edited by UK Fan on Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:08 pm

I'm guessing UK thinks the silver lining on this cloud is made of lead? :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:17 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:If you were a Port fan you would just have to be pretty positive about the off-field management in recent times. Both from a financial sustainability point of view and community impact.

Copied. Pasted. Stored.

We're still a long way from being in the black (white and teal), however agreements like this certainly help. There's little doubt the China Strategy ( despite this years game increasingly likely to not go ahead ) is paying dividends for the club.

Most importantly we've now got a full time employee in Shanghai working the business circuit :

(Nov 6, 2019 )

The most significant signing of Port Adelaide’s off-season could prove to be the one that took place in Shanghai just this morning.

Zhang Tao (or Tony Zhang, in the anglicised version) is a career diplomat who has managed Austrade’s Qingdao office in Shandong Province and served as a Trade Commissioner at the Australian Embassy in Beijing, overseeing financial services, mining, energy and food and beverage.

In 2009 he was appointed as the NSW government’s Commissioner of Trade and Investment in Shanghai, charged with attracting billions of dollars of investment into Sydney and forging close ties with Chinese government at all levels.

This is a really important step for the club, a full time trade negotiator on the ground working for the club in Shanghai.

Is he still alive ??

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:19 pm

classy
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:36 pm

KT said recently that China costs them $6m per year, so revenue streams need to be and remain strong.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:40 pm

MW wrote:classy

Expect nothing less.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:58 pm

MW wrote:classy

The guy has the best job in Australia Atm. Paid $100k Plus a year to promote an event that isn’t going to happen.

Respect.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:02 pm

Dutchy wrote:KT said recently that China costs them $6m per year, so revenue streams need to be and remain strong.

And it was cost neutral in the first two years ??

Dreaming

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:09 pm

Dutchy wrote:KT said recently that China costs them $6m per year, so revenue streams need to be and remain strong.

$4m to $4.5m was my understanding, with 2018 being the first year the game was cost neutral with 2019 making $500k.

You recall where he mentioned the $6m?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby LMA » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:57 pm

UK Fan wrote:
LMA wrote:

No you need China due to lack of crowds. I thought that obvious.

Plus Financial success is thru depreciation write offs and revaluing memorabilia.

Everyone knows that.

Didn’t Renault sign up as sponsors of PAFC long term not that long ago ?? How did that turn out ??

About as well as your car sponsor ;)
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL