COVID-19

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: COVID-19

Postby S Demon » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:39 pm

The Bedge wrote:
S Demon wrote:So training is cancelled then I assume?

Up to clubs, but you'd think a break for a little while at least - no value in training right through until June.

Yeah agree with that
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Fricky » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:58 pm

S Demon wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
S Demon wrote:So training is cancelled then I assume?

Up to clubs, but you'd think a break for a little while at least - no value in training right through until June.

Yeah agree with that

Maybe set a training plan for the players to do on their own, possibly reduce training to once a week but take all the necessary precautions so no one catches coronavirus. Plenty for clubs to think about.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:05 pm

Clubs and players have built up their strength, skills and fitness in readiness for the beginning of the season.

There are simple measures you can all take to ensure that your level of fitness doesn't suffer as a result.

Any club that has a PT or an official fitness coach would be able to whip something up that can be done individually for the time you're not training
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby LMA » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:04 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Clubs and players have built up their strength, skills and fitness in readiness for the beginning of the season.

There are simple measures you can all take to ensure that your level of fitness doesn't suffer as a result.

Any club that has a PT or an official fitness coach would be able to whip something up that can be done individually for the time you're not training

Or just say f***it, C Grade for the rest of the year, I'll see you early June.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:27 pm

I see the Vic metro leagues have pushed back and said were starting 2nd may
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:50 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:I see the Vic metro leagues have pushed back and said were starting 2nd may

Won't happen!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:50 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:I see the Vic metro leagues have pushed back and said were starting 2nd may

Won't happen!
Dont think so either
Mr Beefy
Coach

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:20 pm

Don't get sucked in to the Facebook page of our friend who has a vested interest in there being as many games of footy in some country leagues as possible. His survey begging cricket leagues to work with footy leagues to allow football to continue into October has no consideration for the football club people, and I don't just mean players, but also the committee and volunteers who come the end of September have other interests and commitments that take priority every year. I for one go camping every October long weekend and the 5 days of pure relaxation, plus a lot of beer and red wine, brings closure to football for another season.

I don't give a toss about players who earn a bit of coin or businesses that profit from community footy. Community footy wouldn't exist without the club and league volunteers and everyone just has to deal with this whilst staying within the parameters of our normal season. Tough titties if we have a half season or maybe no season at all. A global pandemic takes precedence I'm afraid.

The Victorian Metro decision is just a little less cautious, but possibly naive, and they are only prepared to declare 2 May as the end date of their postponement and that they will re-convene on 14 April to review that date. Those leagues are independent of any body that sits above them. All community footy in SA comes under the banner of the SACFL.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:35 am

Dutchy wrote:
whufc wrote:How are alot of these footballers going to pay their mortgages? Genuinely saw a couple of mates post this question on their facebook pages after recently building houses.

Will they be covered by any kind of income protection if they had it?

They cant honestly be serious, no one is giving them a mortgage based on football income.

If they are genuinely concerned they now have Thursday nights and Saturday arvo's off to go get another job.

The AFL insurance only covers injury: not sickness or cancellation of games (subject to terms and conditions of the policy)

Some people may have their own income protection insurance that covers sickness but that is problematic.
Did you declare the football income?
Does the policy cover professional sport?
If yes / yes; you would need to be off all income producing work
Not my area of expertise but the above is what I think you need to seek advice about
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:44 am

Down the Hill wrote: Those leagues are independent of any body that sits above them. All community footy in SA comes under the banner of the SACFL.

Aren't they affilliated with AFL Victoria, the same as we are with SANFL/SACFL ?
Mr Beefy
Coach

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:52 am

I think there is a loose affiliation under the banner of AFL Victoria hence why those leagues were made to introduce salary caps a couple of years ago. But I don't think the affiliation is as strong as what it is with the SACFL and the community leagues in SA. I believe country leagues in Victoria are the ones that have a similar set up to our SACFL affiliation.

Back on the income protection stuff. If all community footballers are getting paid to play in a manner equivalent to what a tradie calls a "cashy" then there is no way any form of insurance or income protection is going to compensate lost earnings from footy. Any player who tried to push it would be opening up a can of worms for every paid community player in Australia.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby The Big Shrek » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:28 am

Down the Hill wrote:Don't get sucked in to the Facebook page of our friend who has a vested interest in there being as many games of footy in some country leagues as possible. His survey begging cricket leagues to work with footy leagues to allow football to continue into October has no consideration for the football club people, and I don't just mean players, but also the committee and volunteers who come the end of September have other interests and commitments that take priority every year. I for one go camping every October long weekend and the 5 days of pure relaxation, plus a lot of beer and red wine, brings closure to football for another season.

I don't give a toss about players who earn a bit of coin or businesses that profit from community footy. Community footy wouldn't exist without the club and league volunteers and everyone just has to deal with this whilst staying within the parameters of our normal season. Tough titties if we have a half season or maybe no season at all. A global pandemic takes precedence I'm afraid.

The Victorian Metro decision is just a little less cautious, but possibly naive, and they are only prepared to declare 2 May as the end date of their postponement and that they will re-convene on 14 April to review that date. Those leagues are independent of any body that sits above them. All community footy in SA comes under the banner of the SACFL.

I assume you are talking about the SA Footballer page. I don't follow it though so haven't seen the survey.

I don't see the need for an attack on him. I'm 35 and don't have much football left in me. I'd love to play as much football as possible this year. I'm also on the committee of my club.

To say that what he has done shows no consideration for volunteers and committee people is a gross over generalisation. What you are saying is just that you don't like the idea. It's a valid opinion but no more than that.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:20 am

I assume you are talking about the SA Footballer page. I don't follow it though

i call Bullshit

You don't follow it but you're offended at someone voicing their opinion about it.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Arch44 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:38 am

The Big Shrek wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:Don't get sucked in to the Facebook page of our friend who has a vested interest in there being as many games of footy in some country leagues as possible. His survey begging cricket leagues to work with footy leagues to allow football to continue into October has no consideration for the football club people, and I don't just mean players, but also the committee and volunteers who come the end of September have other interests and commitments that take priority every year. I for one go camping every October long weekend and the 5 days of pure relaxation, plus a lot of beer and red wine, brings closure to football for another season.

I assume you are talking about the SA Footballer page. I don't follow it though so haven't seen the survey.

I don't see the need for an attack on him. I'm 35 and don't have much football left in me. I'd love to play as much football as possible this year. I'm also on the committee of my club.

To say that what he has done shows no consideration for volunteers and committee people is a gross over generalisation. What you are saying is just that you don't like the idea. It's a valid opinion but no more than that.

He's also your mate. Well defended.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby The Big Shrek » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:10 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
I assume you are talking about the SA Footballer page. I don't follow it though

i call Bullshit

You don't follow it but you're offended at someone voicing their opinion about it.

I don't follow it.

I'm not offended I just interpreted the post (in conjunction with some previous ones) as a bit of an unnecessary attack. I also think many club people would be fine with considering extending the season as an option.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Postby tigerpie » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:41 pm

Cricket has already been heavily impacted with finals cancelled. That's revenue lost. Why should footy take precedence?
If footy wants to continue playing for longer, good luck finding ovals to play on!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:04 pm

tigerpie wrote:

Cricket has already been heavily impacted with finals cancelled. That's revenue lost. Why should footy take precedence?
If footy wants to continue playing for longer, good luck finding ovals to play on!

Fantastic point. My club is over 100 years old and played in the SANFL through World Wars, I love my club as much as anyone but for me right now Footy returning doesn’t even come close on top of my mind as a priority. There is far bigger issues at hand and once time comes, footy will find its place. But it shouldn’t take precedence over another sport.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby The Big Shrek » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:12 pm

Are any teams training through this period?
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Postby Q. » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:14 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:Are any teams training through this period?

Only the one's that just don't get it :roll:
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Pag » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:41 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:Are any teams training through this period?

I'd hope not, but there'd be one or two that probably are I reckon.

Would be a way-too-early start for the 2021 pre-season, not sure what they'd have to gain out of it.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League