Coronavirus (Covid19)

Anything!

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19)

Postby Mythical Creature » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:17 pm

My son left his hat home this morning. Wife dropped it off to him at school and talked to the principal (Wife is school chairperson).
Apparently the attendance rate is reasonably high still (country town fyi)
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:19 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:My son left his hat home this morning. Wife dropped it off to him at school and talked to the principal (Wife is school chairperson).

My kids school has 45% non attendance rate today.
I knew it would be high but that’s massive.
May be time to shut school then.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Q. » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:19 pm

USA is going to be catastrophic. Straight line on a logarithmic x-axis is exponential growth :shock:

Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby cracka » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:26 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:My son left his hat home this morning. Wife dropped it off to him at school and talked to the principal (Wife is school chairperson).

With school holidays so close, I don't understand why the government don't just bite the bullet and close them now. Even if they have to shorten the other school holiday periods later.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:30 pm

Q. wrote:USA is going to be catastrophic. Straight line on a logarithmic x-axis is exponential growth :shock:

F*cking hell.

I know our trajectory is similar, but I'm wondering how population density is taken into account with these predictions.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:32 pm

cracka wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

With school holidays so close, I don't understand why the government don't just bite the bullet and close them now. Even if they have to shorten the other school holiday periods later.

It makes sense to bring it forward.
If they have to extend it afterwards so be it.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:44 pm

heater31 wrote:
Q. wrote:
Brodlach wrote:
Q. wrote:49 people who travelled on the Ruby Princess cruise ship that docked in Sydney last week have tested positive for COVID-19.

These ships have inflated the NSW numbers so unfairly

It is mindboggling that Home Affairs did not intervene
Surely the NSW department of Health has some skin in this for letting them off the boat in the first place!

It is their problem. Health is a State function and they made the decision to let them off.

Watch the video for an explanation from the head of Border Force: https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-u ... 1345fc566a
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby am Bays » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:53 pm

our rate of infections is still below Singapore (0.004 v 0.007%) of the population

Our death rate is exceptional under 1% compared to the rest of the world (292000 cases 12 700 deaths - ~4%). https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200322-sitrep-62-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=f7764c46_2 WHO situational data reports

As someone who works in health I think the governments of all persuasions across Australia are doing a good job treading the fine line between flattening the curve and allowing people to go about our normal every day lives.

it's the d!ckheads out there making it problematic not the governments

The reality is this will effect les than who we think will get the virus and for the vast majority the effects will be mild to moderate.

The problem we have as a nation is that even with 1% Morbidity of a 20% population infection rate we don't have enough health resources to go around.

Bottom line: follow official advice, practice social distancing and good hand hygiene
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Pag » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:14 pm

amber_fluid wrote:

We're at approx 650 absent from a school of 1450 today.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:16 pm

One little thing to be thankful for for those like whufc and others who have to use up Long Service Leave is that SA and NT have the most generous provisions in Australia.
Vic, Tas, Qld & WA are effective half of ours.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Jase » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:20 pm

Pag wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

We were approx 210 out of 1100 absent today
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby bulldogproud » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:22 pm

am Bays wrote:our rate of infections is still below Singapore (0.004 v 0.007%) of the population

Our death rate is exceptional under 1% compared to the rest of the world (292000 cases 12 700 deaths - ~4%). https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200322-sitrep-62-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=f7764c46_2 WHO situational data reports

As someone who works in health I think the governments of all persuasions across Australia are doing a good job treading the fine line between flattening the curve and allowing people to go about our normal every day lives.

The reality is this will effect les than who we think will get the virus and for the vast majority the effects will be mild to moderate.

The problem we have as a nation is that even with 1% Morbidity of a 20% population infection rate we don't have enough health resources to go around.

Bottom line: follow official advice, practice social distancing and good hand hygiene

If you work in health, I am very scared because you sure can't read graphs. Look up above to the one Booney posted, the same one I did that you criticised me for, saying it was fake. You read the graph the following way: the x-axis is the number of days since each country had their 100th case; the y-axis is the total number of cases.
Now, can you see that Australia has over 1500 cases after 12 days whilst Singapore is less than 500 after 22 days?? Can you also see by the slope that Australia is following a very similar trajectory to that of European countries and the US?? These are very worrying signs for Australia. The only reason our infection and death rates WERE lower is that Covid-19 hit our shores later. Sadly, we will go wayyyyyyyyyyy past the Singapore rates.

To follow Singapore, we need to do what they do: not let anyone onto public transport, into offices or shops if they have a temperature. We are not even checking temperatures. Re schools, they take the temperature of every student twice a day. For anyone, if you have a temperature, you are sent home and told to self-isolate. You cannot go into the shop, public transport, school or office until your temperature has fallen to normal.
Last edited by bulldogproud on Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby bulldogproud » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:27 pm

Jase wrote:
Pag wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

I am home in self-isolation because I had to be tested for Covid-19 yesterday. However, checking on SEQTA, we averaged one student per class at Year 11 and 12 level (5%) but about 35% at lower levels.
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:29 pm

Pag wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

That’s 45% as well.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Q. » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:29 pm

Booney wrote:
Q. wrote:USA is going to be catastrophic. Straight line on a logarithmic x-axis is exponential growth :shock:

F*cking hell.

I know our trajectory is similar, but I'm wondering how population density is taken into account with these predictions.

No adjustment for popn density, but with Singapore ranked #2 globally for density it makes you realise how good their response has been. I suspect Australia's lack of popn density is working in our favour.

Hopefully we can South Korea the shit out of COVID-19 :D
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Corona Man » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:30 pm

Jase wrote:
Pag wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Mrs C's school here in Melbourne last week were at about 66% attendance. They close up today, she stays on til the end of the week.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:31 pm

Jase wrote:
Pag wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

What area is the school?
I’m inner south/west.

Pag is north?

I’m interested to see why your school is only around 20%
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Jase » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:32 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
Jase wrote:
Pag wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

I am home in self-isolation because I had to be tested for Covid-19 yesterday. However, checking on SEQTA, we averaged one student per class at Year 11 and 12 level (5%) but about 35% at lower levels.

Ah SEQTA... what fun it is... :roll: :evil: :D
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby bulldogproud » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:32 pm

Sadly, a very concerning story about how Covid-19 can affect young people just as severely as older people:

A 12-year-old girl with no pre-existing conditions is “fighting for her life” in hospital after becoming infected with the coronavirus.

The girl, Emma, was placed on a ventilator at Scottish Rite Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia on Saturday -- just one day after testing positive for COVID-19, the deadly pneumonia caused by the virus known as SARS-CoV-2.

But how she contracted the virus is a mystery. According to her cousin, Justin Anthony, Emma had not travelled recently or come into contact with anyone known to be infected.

Mr Anthony told CNN Emma was gravely ill despite having no pre-existing conditions that would place her in the high risk category for developing COVID-19.

He said the family decided to go public with her case to let people know the disease can impact some children as severely as it does the elderly.

"Kids can get it and I know one who's fighting for her life,” Mr Anthony said in the days before her diagnosis.

Emma's parents rushed her to the hospital emergency department multiple times after she developed a fever that would not break. She was finally admitted to Scottish Rite on March 15 with suspected pneumonia.

Her condition continued to deteriorate and last Friday she tested positive for COVID-19. By Saturday she was on a ventilator, the Atlanta Journal Constitution reported.
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby am Bays » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:36 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
am Bays wrote:our rate of infections is still below Singapore (0.004 v 0.007%) of the population

If you work in health, I am very scared because you sure can't read graphs. Look up above to the one Booney posted, the same one I did that you criticised me for, saying it was fake. You read the graph the following way: the x-axis is the number of days since each country had their 100th case; the y-axis is the total number of cases.
Now, can you see that Australia has over 1500 cases after 12 days whilst Singapore is less than 500 after 22 days?? Can you also see by the slope that Australia is following a very similar trajectory to that of European countries and the US?? These are very worrying signs for Australia. The only reason our infection and death rates WERE lower is that Covid-19 hit our shores later. Sadly, we will go wayyyyyyyyyyy past the Singapore rates.

To follow Singapore, we need to do what they do: not let anyone onto public transport, into offices or shops if they have a temperature. We are not even checking temperatures. Re schools, they take the temperature of every student twice a day. For anyone, if you have a temperature, you are sent home and told to self-isolate. You cannot go into the shop, public transport, school or office until your temperature has fallen to normal.

I don’t just read one chart published on a news website, corroborate evidence before I pontificate on social media. I preferably go to primary health data sources. Are you aware of the different definitions for Covid-19 cases?

I’m scared that you teach kids, very scared.

Are you aware of the medical model we’re following in health??

I repeat, follow health advice, practice social distancing and wash your hands.
Last edited by am Bays on Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion