Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

by Jimmy_041 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:17 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:Here, I’ll help you

Key points:

Chief medical officer Brendan Murphy has recommended a ban on events with more than 500 people
The nation's leaders want non-essential events with more than 500 people to stop from Monday
Australians have also been urged against travelling overseas unless it is essential

All the Premiers must be part of Hillsong as well :roll:

I read somewhere else they did it from Monday to avoid Friday night panic.

Come on, be a bit easy on my cousin Brendan; he is only stating what Morrison has asked him to say. His own view was that the ban should have been imposed on the Friday; ScoMo asked him to hold off for the weekend. The Premiers had no individual say in the decision either. According to Brendan, it was strictly a ScoMo directive.
Cheers

Feeding the MDS?

Murphy: "Gee this is dynamite. In the interest of national security, I'd better call BP so he can alert safooty ASAP""

Funny.......... I saw Dan the Man answer a question on TV to the effect that they all agreed that their respective governments all needed the weekend to organise it.

Now; I'm no Dan fan but he's the hero of the Labor Party so I'll accept his unsubstantiated version as hes quite prepared to dump on ScoMo at any opportunity
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

by Q. » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:52 pm

Murphy clearly gagged by ScoMo. Speers interview gave that away.

Been following Bill Bowtell on Twitter - he has been very critical of ScoMo's lack of action.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

by bulldogproud » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:32 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:Here, I’ll help you

Key points:

Chief medical officer Brendan Murphy has recommended a ban on events with more than 500 people
The nation's leaders want non-essential events with more than 500 people to stop from Monday
Australians have also been urged against travelling overseas unless it is essential

All the Premiers must be part of Hillsong as well :roll:

I read somewhere else they did it from Monday to avoid Friday night panic.

Come on, be a bit easy on my cousin Brendan; he is only stating what Morrison has asked him to say. His own view was that the ban should have been imposed on the Friday; ScoMo asked him to hold off for the weekend. The Premiers had no individual say in the decision either. According to Brendan, it was strictly a ScoMo directive.
Cheers

Feeding the MDS?

Murphy: "Gee this is dynamite. In the interest of national security, I'd better call BP so he can alert safooty ASAP""

Funny.......... I saw Dan the Man answer a question on TV to the effect that they all agreed that their respective governments all needed the weekend to organise it.

Now; I'm no Dan fan but he's the hero of the Labor Party so I'll accept his unsubstantiated version as hes quite prepared to dump on ScoMo at any opportunity

Actually, I phoned him, Jimmy ;) It is pretty common for relatives in our family to keep in touch, I am sorry if that may not be the case in your family. Brendan and Scott certainly don't see eye to eye on a number of areas, but Brendan will be under pressure of losing his job if he openly challenges Scott's views publicly. If you haven't noticed, Scott is dictatorial in nature, even saying that Cabinet meetings are whenever he meets with whomever he chooses, not necessarily with the actual Cabinet. He is a bit Trumpish.
Cheers
Last edited by bulldogproud on Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

by Jimmy_041 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:28 pm

Ah well, we’ve got your word for it.
And Dan Andrews is therefore an effing liar
I’ve never met Scott Morrison so don’t know whether he is or isn’t what you say
But if your cousin is speaking out of school, then he probably deserves how he’s treated
I speak to my family all of the time and you’re amazingly arrogant to assume otherwise considering you don’t know me or them.
Cheers
Jimmy_041
Coach

by bulldogproud » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:48 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:Ah well, we’ve got your word for it.
But if your cousin is speaking out of school, then he probably deserves how he’s treated
I speak to my family all of the time and you’re amazingly arrogant to assume otherwise considering you don’t know me or them.
Cheers

Well, that matches your arrogance and rudeness in your previous post stating that the only reason my cousin would contact me would be to break national security (which he didn't), so I guess we are even. I do apologise for my comment though.

No, my cousin is not speaking out of school; he is just frustrated at the way he is muzzled by Scott Morrison. In his interview today, you could also see that Dan Andrews wanted to close schools but all premiers have taken a vow to follow the national stance set by Scott Morrison.

Now for a critique of the current situation, IMHO:
Knowing that immunologists and infectious disease experts (Bill Bowtell, David Caldicott just to mention two) are saying that we need to act early and decisively and that there are now 73 countries who have either fully (56) or partially (17 – in major cities) closed schools, here are my humble thoughts on how this can be done in Australia so as to keep people safe and with very little financial or personal cost or interruption to key services:

It is much safer to have children and young adults in small groups rather than in schools of up to 1500, that is pretty clear. We also need to ensure that people’s work lives are not limited too much (particularly if they are in essential services). We can do this by ‘Australians being Australians’, by ‘being community’, by ‘caring for one another’.

IMHO, we can have small groups of families work together to achieve this in the following way: A few families (limited to approx. 6 or 7 children) team together to look after the children of each family. Each parent who can either work from home, or who is willing to take a day off work (with pay from the government, as the cost involved will be a lot less than the health cost involved if Covid-19 takes off) can take it in turns to look after the children. Each parent would be required for up to one day per week. Parents who work in essential services (e.g. health workers, law enforcement officers) can be exempted from this. If we can’t get enough parents for a group, then school staff (each with their own Working With Children clearance) can be involved. This could all be coordinated at the local school level.

Grandparents would not be needed to do more than they already do (in fact, if they wish at this time, their contact with children can be reduced… to keep them safe).

We have world-best technologies available for teaching remotely (SEQTA, Educator Perfect, Zoom, Skype, Moodle, Podcasts. Screencasts, Kahoot… just to name a few) plus we can have constant contact with emails to and from students. This will ensure that teaching can still be extremely productive whilst schools are closed.

As an educator, I care about the young adults entrusted to me, their families, my fellow staff and the wider community. I believe we need to act early. Do our leaders care enough about their community to take this bold action? I pray they do. I believe we are better than our Prime Minister, Scott Morrison, believes we are. With good parenting and care for children, they will not be aimlessly wandering down malls.

With kind regards and prayers,
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

by Q. » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:28 am

ScoMo's ego is so fragile that he has excluded the Leader of the Opposition from the National Cabinet for COVID-19
Q.
Coach

by Magellan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:37 am

Q. wrote:ScoMo's ego is so fragile that he has excluded the Leader of the Opposition from the National Cabinet for COVID-19

Politics always comes first for our Scott, can't concede anything to the opposition.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

by Jimmy_041 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:47 am

bulldogproud wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:Ah well, we’ve got your word for it.
Cheers

Well, that matches your arrogance and rudeness in your previous post stating that the only reason my cousin would contact me would be to break national security (which he didn't), so I guess we are even. I do apologise for my comment though.

No, my cousin is not speaking out of school; he is just frustrated at the way he is muzzled by Scott Morrison. In his interview today, you could also see that Dan Andrews wanted to close schools but all premiers have taken a vow to follow the national stance set by Scott Morrison.

Now for a critique of the current situation, IMHO:
Knowing that immunologists and infectious disease experts (Bill Bowtell, David Caldicott just to mention two) are saying that we need to act early and decisively and that there are now 73 countries who have either fully (56) or partially (17 – in major cities) closed schools, here are my humble thoughts on how this can be done in Australia so as to keep people safe and with very little financial or personal cost or interruption to key services:

It is much safer to have children and young adults in small groups rather than in schools of up to 1500, that is pretty clear. We also need to ensure that people’s work lives are not limited too much (particularly if they are in essential services). We can do this by ‘Australians being Australians’, by ‘being community’, by ‘caring for one another’.

IMHO, we can have small groups of families work together to achieve this in the following way: A few families (limited to approx. 6 or 7 children) team together to look after the children of each family. Each parent who can either work from home, or who is willing to take a day off work (with pay from the government, as the cost involved will be a lot less than the health cost involved if Covid-19 takes off) can take it in turns to look after the children. Each parent would be required for up to one day per week. Parents who work in essential services (e.g. health workers, law enforcement officers) can be exempted from this. If we can’t get enough parents for a group, then school staff (each with their own Working With Children clearance) can be involved. This could all be coordinated at the local school level.

Grandparents would not be needed to do more than they already do (in fact, if they wish at this time, their contact with children can be reduced… to keep them safe).

We have world-best technologies available for teaching remotely (SEQTA, Educator Perfect, Zoom, Skype, Moodle, Podcasts. Screencasts, Kahoot… just to name a few) plus we can have constant contact with emails to and from students. This will ensure that teaching can still be extremely productive whilst schools are closed.

As an educator, I care about the young adults entrusted to me, their families, my fellow staff and the wider community. I believe we need to act early. Do our leaders care enough about their community to take this bold action? I pray they do. I believe we are better than our Prime Minister, Scott Morrison, believes we are. With good parenting and care for children, they will not be aimlessly wandering down malls.

With kind regards and prayers,

I didn’t say that’s the only reason he’d call you but it doesn’t matter. My apologies as well.

Two things here: what Dan Andrews said yesterday does not alter what he said on Friday.
He said on Friday that there had been a meeting of leaders and starting Monday is what they had decided.
I find it incredible that none of the Labor Premiers have potted Morrison for making a lone wolf decision and expecting them to just fall in behind. If so; it says more about the Premiers than Morrison. But to say he did it for his Hillsong Church is just MDS and it doesn’t surprise me that some people would believe it (because they want to, no matter how idiotic it is)

My personal view is it should have been shut down on Friday but I don’t have access to the advice this leadership group has. Like it or not, any major decision made in life by a Board canvasses many opinions and differing advice. Most people outside of the decision only consider their personal circumstances and don’t care about the effect on others.

As for schools; again there is conflicting advice on shutting them down. On the face of it I agree with you, but, this morning on ABC881 and 5AA there have been several experts who say it’s not a good idea. So whom do I believe, or do I just wait for the government to make a decision and then $hitbag Morrison because I don’t like the fact he won the last election? (That wasn’t aimed at you)
Jimmy_041
Coach

by Q. » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:10 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote: then $hitbag Morrison because I don’t like the fact he won the last election?

Scotty from Marketing gets shitbagged for being corrupt and incompetent.
Q.
Coach

by bulldogproud » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:45 pm

I will just make one more statement on the topic and then refrain from any more, as I believe the points I made above are as clear as I can put them. One one additional point I will make is that on twitter, I sent a Direct Message to Dr Bill Bowtell, Professor of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, UNSW and he replied stating that he agreed with them totally. You may have seen Dr Bowtell on Q&A last night. He is regarded as the foremost expert in this field, even by Brendan.

I believe that my comments demonstrated effective ways in which the arguments against school closures (impact on frontline health workers, impact on overall workforce, impact on grandparents) can be dealt with - it is not easy, but I believe it is worth pursuing. After all, all immunologists and infectious disease experts I have heard from agree on two things: 'it is critical to go early and go hard' and 'if we wait until we have everything right before acting, our action will be far too late'.

Some people state that the fact that Singapore has not yet closed down schools is reason for Australian ones to stay open. However, this overlooks two key things: firstly, EVERY student is examined, including the taking of their temperature, twice a day by a nurse - if any student has a temperature, they are immediately sent home and put into self-isolation. Secondly, Singapore schools commenced holidays on Friday. They decided to keep them open until the holidays as the numbers were not too high at that early stage; it is unlikely the students will return to school next term. If Australia waits four more weeks until the holidays, the numbers infected are approximated as 50,000. I think this is far too late to act.

Jimmy, I love the fact that we both care so much about this issue. Elbowpump to you :)
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

by Jimmy_041 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:56 pm

And you mate - keep well.

I’ve just heard from my HK pilot mate that a plane from London just landed in HK with 30 positives.
On Saturday, David Hayes said he was going back to Hong Kong and that it was 6 weeks ahead of Australia which I agree with, but people have to take responsibility; and they’re not.
International travel appears to be the biggest problem but, hey, that’s the 21st Century

This morning I attended a Board meeting and was told that 60% of the population will get it by June.
Personal experience tells me healthy people will be OK but we need to protect the old and frail.
Jimmy_041
Coach

by bulldogproud » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:49 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:And you mate - keep well.

I’ve just heard from my HK pilot mate that a plane from London just landed in HK with 30 positives.
On Saturday, David Hayes said he was going back to Hong Kong and that it was 6 weeks ahead of Australia which I agree with, but people have to take responsibility; and they’re not.
International travel appears to be the biggest problem but, hey, that’s the 21st Century

This morning I attended a Board meeting and was told that 60% of the population will get it by June.
Personal experience tells me healthy people will be OK but we need to protect the old and frail.

Bummer, 30 positives is a horrible statistic to hear.
At the exponentional rate of increase, that statistic of 60% is probably pretty right. Thankfully, Australia is getting nearly an extra 100,000 testing kits by the end of the week.
Am a bit worried personally: diabetic bordering on daily insulin use, obese (my own bloomin fault) bronchial problems and approaching 60. I will hang in there as long as I can though; I love my students and will do everything I can for them, to the very end. There are a lot worse though, and those are the ones, as you beautifully state, Jimmy, that we need to be very careful about.
I do a lot of volunteering with St Vinnies. Sadly, we received a directive today that we can no longer carry out home visitations to our blessed Companions. We are going to still do our best though; will take food parcels to them and leave them at the door.
Cheers
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

by helicopterking » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:58 am

Personal experience tells me healthy people will be OK but we need to protect the old and frail.[/quote]

60% of Australia population?
So Roughly 14-15 Million people? I find that mind boggling.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

by bulldogproud » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:23 am

helicopterking wrote:This morning I attended a Board meeting and was told that 60% of the population will get it by June.

60% of Australia population?
So Roughly 14-15 Million people? I find that mind boggling.[/quote]

Yes, that is the expectation unless additional methods are found to reduce its spread. The number of people being infected is doubling every three days, on its exponential rise. At the start of the day, the numbers were 475. Expect that to be around 600 by tonight and 950 by the end of the week. The following week, it will have multiplied by four to 3800, then 15200 by the end of the following week, 30 400 in three weeks, 60 800 in four weeks... and I am sure you get the picture. It will only take seven weeks to get to one million, then four million in eight weeks, 16 million by ten weeks time at the current exponential rate. (I think I have got the maths right)

The good news is that for the vast majority of people, it will be quite slight, perhaps not even noticeable. However, for those who are vunerable... sadly.
In the UK, with a population roughly double ours, they are saying that the lowest number of deaths (if they are lucky) will be 20,000.
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

by bulldogproud » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:53 pm

With Jacinda Ardern deciding to close all New Zealand schools as of Wednesday, that will leave Australia and Mexico as the only two OECD countries not to have closed schools. When looking at the Mexican President's thoughts about the issue, this gets extremely scary for Australian teachers and schoolchildren:

'But it is the president’s personal attitude that has Mexicans puzzled. He continues to attend mass public rallies, shaking hands and kissing babies. Asked how he was protecting Mexico, López Obrador removed two religious amulets from his wallet and proudly showed them off.

“The protective shield is the ‘Get thee behind me, Satan,’” López Obrador said, reading off the inscription on the amulet, “Stop, enemy, for the Heart of Jesus is with me.”

If Morrison is following the same reasoning for not closing schools as Mexico is, he better have a mighty big Hillsong rabbit's foot!!!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

by Armchair expert » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:59 pm

Any teachers here, I can't imagine attendance being any great than 50%

schools need to be closed asap
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 1433 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

by Q. » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:17 pm

bulldogproud wrote:With Jacinda Ardern deciding to close all New Zealand schools as of Wednesday, that will leave Australia and Mexico as the only two OECD countries not to have closed schools. When looking at the Mexican President's thoughts about the issue, this gets extremely scary for Australian teachers and schoolchildren:

'But it is the president’s personal attitude that has Mexicans puzzled. He continues to attend mass public rallies, shaking hands and kissing babies. Asked how he was protecting Mexico, López Obrador removed two religious amulets from his wallet and proudly showed them off.

“The protective shield is the ‘Get thee behind me, Satan,’” López Obrador said, reading off the inscription on the amulet, “Stop, enemy, for the Heart of Jesus is with me.”

If Morrison is following the same reasoning for not closing schools as Mexico is, he better have a mighty big Hillsong rabbit's foot!!!

The State leaders will have to take control in the face of LNP inaction.
Q.
Coach

by bulldogproud » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:32 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Any teachers here, I can't imagine attendance being any great than 50%

schools need to be closed asap

Only 1 Year 12 or Year 11 student missing per class roughly, but we have about 50% absenteeism rate at lower levels.
I am not at school; was tested for Covid-19 yesterday so am forced to self-isolation. As I have only been at school or at home (and I live alone - no one would put up with me ;) , if I test positive, I can only surmise I caught it at school.
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

by bulldogproud » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:34 pm

Q. wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:With Jacinda Ardern deciding to close all New Zealand schools as of Wednesday, that will leave Australia and Mexico as the only two OECD countries not to have closed schools. When looking at the Mexican President's thoughts about the issue, this gets extremely scary for Australian teachers and schoolchildren:

Did you hear Marshall this morning?? He was even worse than Morrison. 'No, I will not provide thermometers to schools, there is no need based on current health advice'. If I find a thermometer near him, I know where I will stick it!!!!!!!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

by am Bays » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:37 pm

Q. wrote:

You realise our rate of COVID-19 infections (0.004%) is lower than Singapore (0.007%) the international benchmark with their healthcare isolation methodology (WHO data)

Our deathrate is exceptional ATM So I think your criticism of ScoMo is ideologically driven not COVID-19 clinically driven.

not saying all is Rosey and there isn't worse to come but criticisms of the collective government responses of both political persuasions are way off beam especially when they are being done in consultation with the CHO.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics