Coronavirus (Covid19)

Anything!

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19)

Postby Pag » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:53 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Jase wrote:
Pag wrote:We're at approx 650 absent from a school of 1450 today.

We were approx 210 out of 1100 absent today

What area is the school?
I’m inner south/west.

Pag is north?

I’m interested to see why your school is only around 20%

I’m north-east, and Jase is only a 4-5 minute drive from me.

A large percentage of my students staying home are from Asian families, including families from Singapore, China, Malaysia, South Korea and the Philippines. Bit in that I reckon, they understand the significance, with a lot having families back in their home countries having lived through some of the worst of it or with the strictest of regulations. They get that this is serious.
Last edited by Pag on Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Jase » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:57 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Jase wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Not trying to start an argument, just a question

Do teachers think they should/will be paid if kids finish school early or school closes for a period of time?

If schools shutdown then teachers are still going to be expected to teach remotely, so why wouldn't they be paid?

You’ll be earning every $ as well when it happens.
Working remotely with staff is hard enough, I’d hate too have to do it with kids

Good luck with it as it’s going to be a testing time for all.

Luckily I'm not a teacher, I work in the IT Team.

Mrs Jase is a Middle School teacher and she has been flat knacker teaching for the past two weeks, plus all of the marking, planning and prep that goes along with that, as well as the planning/Prep for the online lessons, resources and setup for remote learning at the same time...

There is a lot of angst among a number of staff due to the need to go to an online platform as they are a little more set in their ways and don't like change...
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:28 pm

Pag wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Jase wrote:
Pag wrote:We're at approx 650 absent from a school of 1450 today.

We were approx 210 out of 1100 absent today

What area is the school?
I’m inner south/west.

Pag is north?

I’m interested to see why your school is only around 20%

I’m north-east, and Jase is only a 4-5 drive from me.

A large percentage of my students staying home are from Asian families, including families from Singapore, China, Malaysia, South Korea and the Philippines. Bit in that I reckon, they understand the significance, with a lot having families back in their home countries having lived through some of the worst of it or with the strictest of regulations. They get that this is serious.

Asian families take extra precautions throughout the whole year.
Last edited by Brodlach on Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby bulldogproud » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:29 pm

Dutchy wrote:Still no evidence of community spread of CV in Australia, every case so far has been linked to an OS traveller.

Well, hardly surprising, look at the categories you need to fulfil for testing: You have to have been overseas to be tested, or be a contact of a person who has travelled overseas (which of course is listed as being linked to an OS traveller).
If you can't be tested unless you are linked to an OS traveller, then it is impossible for them to have anyone else; it isn't rocket science ;)
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby bulldogproud » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:32 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Still no evidence of community spread of CV in Australia, every case so far has been linked to an OS traveller.

Well, hardly surprising, look at the categories you need to fulfil for testing: You have to have been overseas to be tested, or be a contact of a person who has travelled overseas (which of course is listed as being linked to an OS traveller).
If you can't be tested unless you are linked to an OS traveller, then it is impossible for them to have anyone else; it isn't rocket science ;)

It is believed that there are at least 10 times the amount of people in the community carrying Covid-19 but they have not been allowed to be tested for it yet. The first change to that came in today - they are now allowed to test people who have travelled from interstate but they must have respiratory problems.
Cheers
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby Brodlach » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:08 pm

I found this interesting

July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:20 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
cracka wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:My son left his hat home this morning. Wife dropped it off to him at school and talked to the principal (Wife is school chairperson).
Apparently the attendance rate is reasonably high still (country town fyi)

My kids school has 45% non attendance rate today.
I knew it would be high but that’s massive.
May be time to shut school then.

With school holidays so close, I don't understand why the government don't just bite the bullet and close them now. Even if they have to shorten the other school holiday periods later.

Just got the final figures; only a 14% absentee rate, but that is Iggies for you! ;)

Co-ed schools - plenty of reasons to go every day ;)
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Dutchy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:09 pm

bulldogproud wrote:

And figures back up that this is the right approach.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Pseudo » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:55 pm

Brewers warn beer supply could dry up within weeks if coronavirus restrictions halt production

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-23/ ... s/12081976

Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby bulldogproud » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:58 pm

Dutchy wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:

And figures back up that this is the right approach.

How is that so? That doesn't make sense at all!!

The reason that they haven't found any community spread is simply because they have not tried testing for any community spread. That doesn't mean there isn't community spread. In fact, it is believed that there is ten times as much community spread as people who have been tested so far... and a lot of this has been through asymptomatic community spread.
Cheers
Last edited by bulldogproud on Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby bulldogproud » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:00 pm

My last comments on this topic, because it is getting me frustrated and so down: All I will say is that when two of the experts on Q&A come down in favour of closing the schools and even the Deputy CMO says that closing schools would save lives I cannot see any reason at all for not closing schools.
If it is going to save lives, I say go for it. I will always say people before the economy. I have travelled to some of the less financial countries on earth and people are happier as they have to rely on one another. That is why I am moving to the Philippines in a few years.
Happiness doesn't come through money but through relationships. I would rather have more people alive but slightly less financial than thousands dead in order to make people more wealthy.
Let's be community, let's help one another, but more importantly, let's live!!! Signing out.
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby Jim05 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:48 pm

Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:58 pm

bulldogproud wrote:My last comments on this topic, because it is getting me frustrated and so down: All I will say is that when two of the experts on Q&A come down in favour of closing the schools and even the Deputy CMO says that closing schools would save lives I cannot see any reason at all for not closing schools.
If it is going to save lives, I say go for it. I will always say people before the economy. I have travelled to some of the less financial countries on earth and people are happier as they have to rely on one another. That is why I am moving to the Philippines in a few years.
Happiness doesn't come through money but through relationships. I would rather have more people alive but slightly less financial than thousands dead in order to make people more wealthy.
Let's be community, let's help one another, but more importantly, let's live!!! Signing out.

Three things in life I take of no notice are Q&A, Guardian & Twitter
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Corona Man » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:40 am

When does the army and other parts of the forces become involved to enforce distancing? In times of crisis, and I think we are now in one, the forces are mobilized. In Victoria they announced a police task force of 500 to look after/enforce distancing and those who are isolating. No where near enough resources.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby bulldogproud » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:47 am

Sorry, had to make one more comment. Australia is doing extremely well in relation to a low mortality rate (which is wonderful to see). However, so are most countries in the southern hemisphere, or who are enjoying warm weather at the moment. The fear is that our mortality rate will increase as we head into colder weather. I pray not.
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby LMA » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:34 am

bulldogproud wrote:Sorry, had to make one more comment. Australia is doing extremely well in relation to a low mortality rate (which is wonderful to see). However, so are most countries in the southern hemisphere, or who are enjoying warm weather at the moment. The fear is that our mortality rate will increase as we head into colder weather. I pray not.

Lets hope its nipped in the bud by then.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby MW » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:40 am

Honest question as I don't understand why, but why is the stimulus package giving 2 x $750 handouts to welfare and dole recipients when ultimately people who are working are the most affected as they will be losing their jobs?

I'm sure I've missed something here and not trying to be insensitive.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Brodlach » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:41 am

Olympics officially postponed
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby LMA » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:45 am

MW wrote:Honest question as I don't understand why, but why is the stimulus package giving 2 x $750 handouts to welfare and dole recipients when ultimately people who are working are the most affected as they will be losing their jobs?

I'm sure I've missed something here and not trying to be insensitive.

Might be thinking they're more likely to spend it back in the economy rather than put it towards a mortgage etc.
LMA
Coach

Postby LMA » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:51 am

Italy still getting smashed, with the US and Spain.

Currently Italy accounts for 37% of the death toll.
LMA
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion