Coronavirus (Covid19)

Anything!

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19)

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:02 am

LMA wrote:Italy still getting smashed, with the US and Spain.

Currently Italy accounts for 37% of the death toll.

Here's the lesson for every other country in the world.

Put measures in place before the curve gets out of control or the health system will crumble and people will die.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:42 am

MW wrote:Honest question as I don't understand why, but why is the stimulus package giving 2 x $750 handouts to welfare and dole recipients when ultimately people who are working are the most affected as they will be losing their jobs?

I'm sure I've missed something here and not trying to be insensitive.

Fortunately they’ve shut down the pokie palaces.
They boomed during the GFC giveaway
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:51 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:
MW wrote:Honest question as I don't understand why, but why is the stimulus package giving 2 x $750 handouts to welfare and dole recipients when ultimately people who are working are the most affected as they will be losing their jobs?

They haven't shut down the meth dealers though. Few of them will be making a fortune and when the pokies are back up and running, they will soon flourish as the dealers will have plenty of cash to blow.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby The Bedge » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:58 am

Australian Specific Data
Australian State populations were taken from the ABS Website and were accurate in Sept 2019. The difference with previous estimates used above was within 0.04%, and as such no adjustments were made.

A series of complimentary charts regarding the spread of COVID-19 are available from the ABC website.

Australia’s spread of the virus appears in the previous plots as marginally slower than many other countries, grouping together with countries such as Greece, Israel and the UK. This may be a reflection of Australian geography or our tendency to have large personal space requirements.

This may also be a reflection of the pre-emptive strategies already being taken by the population and government.

Despite the above, Australia is still clearly in the exponential growth phase with no sign of the growth levelling out. Infections are currently doubling in slightly less than 4 days.

Using an estimated population size of 25,499,884, the total percentage of the Australian population confirmed as infected currently sits at 0.007%, or one person in every 14,851.

However, projecting forward using a 7 day lag as representative of the delay between contracting the virus and manifestation of symptoms, the number of people within Australia who are currently infected may be near 6,868, which corresponds to 0.027% of the population, or one person in every 3,713
Assuming a hospitalisation rate of 12% (based on US figures found here), it can be expected that within a week, 824 will be hospitalised around Australia with severe symptoms.

https://uofabioinformaticshub.github.io ... troduction
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:05 am

LMA wrote:

Might be thinking they're more likely to spend it back in the economy rather than put it towards a mortgage etc.

Whilst I think the money should be siphoned into people who have lost their jobs I get the reasoning.

At this point people on Newstart, in the main ( drug users/gamblers aside ) have very little disposable income. This package is designed to get them out spending that money and stimulating the economy. I see what they're doing.

Me, being as cynical as I am, just figure KFC and the local drug mule will profit from this, not the small business' that it's designed to support, the cafes, the local butcher, the local green grocer etc.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:09 am

Booney wrote:
LMA wrote:

Might be thinking they're more likely to spend it back in the economy rather than put it towards a mortgage etc.

Whilst I think the money should be siphoned into people who have lost their jobs I get the reasoning.

At this point people on Newstart, in the main ( drug users/gamblers aside ) have very little disposable income. This package is designed to get them out spending that money and stimulating the economy. I see what they're doing.

Me, being as cynical as I am, just figure KFC and the local drug mule will profit from this, not the small business' that it's designed to support, the cafes, the local butcher, the local green grocer etc.

This is why the banks should postpone everyone's home mortgage payments for 8 weeks so they can spend that money in the community.
Yep
No
Bum Crack
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:09 am

Bum Crack wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

They haven't shut down the meth dealers though. Few of them will be making a fortune and when the pokies are back up and running, they will soon flourish as the dealers will have plenty of cash to blow.

Dealers may run low on supplies with a shutdown.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:29 am

Mr Beefy wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Dealers may run low on supplies with a shutdown.

They’ve all moved into toilet paper

Reminds me of a street seller in NY I saw years ago.
He was selling sunglasses on numerous consecutive sunny days
One day it was raining and there he was selling umbrellas
I’ve never forgotten it as a great example of adapting to your economic environment
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:37 am

Happens everyday in Bali :lol:
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Q. » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:43 am

Remember those Yanks that tested positive in the Barossa and were meant to be self isolating?

They hired a mini-bus and drove to Sydney and attempted to fly back to the US. AFP stopped them at the airport. 4 of them work in the medical profession.

I hoped they get slapped with massive fines.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:49 am

Q. wrote:Remember those Yanks that tested positive in the Barossa and were meant to be self isolating?

They hired a mini-bus and drove to Sydney and attempted to fly back to the US. AFP stopped them at the airport. 4 of them work in the medical profession.

:shock:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:05 am

Q. wrote:Remember those Yanks that tested positive in the Barossa and were meant to be self isolating?

'Mericans.. **** yeah.. never fail to disappoint with their stupidity.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Q. » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:08 am

Financial Times has an excellent global COVID-19 data tracker on it's website that's free to read:

https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:15 am

Throw em in jail for a few months

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:16 am

Astonishing, but sadly not surprising!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Corona Man » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:16 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

In Wuhan.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:19 am

Corona Man wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

In Wuhan.
Not in Wuhan, take em to Italy. Wuhan is now open apparently.

Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Corona Man » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:22 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Corona Man wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

In Wuhan.
Not in Wuhan, take em to Italy. Wuhan is now open apparently.

Ok wherever they go, so long as they are treated with the distain they have treated everyone one else with.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:23 am

Virus crisis signals end of the road for the 'lollipop economy'

John Roskam
Columnist
Mar 23, 2020 – 12.32pm

However this crisis ends, the era of Australia's 'lollipop economy' is over. Not in our lifetime will a worker ever again be paid $180,000 a year to stand and hold a traffic sign at a construction site. (Which is the amount traffic controllers can earn under the Queensland government's minimum labour requirements on state-funded infrastructure projects.)
If there's one thing that sums up what's happened to the Australian economy after 29 years without a recession, it's the symbolism of someone holding a Stop/Go sign being paid twice as much as a school teacher.

State-funded featherbedding: $180,000 a year to stand and hold a traffic sign at a construction site. Jason South
It's uncertain how Australia's highly regulated, highly indebted, high cost and low productivity economy will withstand this global pandemic.
The potential consequences of what's happening are enormous. Some commentators are greeting the pandemic as the opportunity for the public to begin 'trusting the experts' again. Certainly, that's one direction the crisis could take. The exact opposite reaction is also possible, and community trust in public institutions and the authority of government could be eroded even further.
There's the very real possibility that the public might realise that many of the things the politicians have spent the last decade talking about are in fact utterly irrelevant. Climate change being the most obvious example.

Similarly, the public might come to the not unreasonable conclusion that much of what the government now does, and what the government requires regulators to do, has done practically nothing to improve the productive capacity of the country. The product of nearly three decades of uninterrupted economic growth is that red tape is now Australia's largest industry.
The nation is now facing an economic, and potentially a social, 'banana republic' situation – times 10.
The almost-guaranteed recession the country is about to suffer will make a few other things crystal clear. It will reveal what everyone has always known about our industrial relations system, namely that its primary purpose is to increase the wages and conditions of those in work. Australia's industrial relations system, which includes us having literally the world's highest minimum wage, does nothing to encourage employment.
Something else a recession will uncover is that Australia's compulsory superannuation system is a fraud.
There's no justification for compulsory superannuation, and that's especially the case now. If one partner in a couple with children and a mortgage lose their job, the other partner who's lucky enough to still be in work needs the 9.5% of their income that the government confiscates immediately, not when they retire in 30 or 40 years.
The danger now is that the state gets permanently bigger again.

The superannuation industry is right to be concerned about proposals for the government to allow early access to their superannuation balances for people who've become unemployed because that will be the beginning of the end for compulsory superannuation – as it should be.
Even if compulsory superannuation is not abolished immediately, there is now no way any government will increase the compulsory contribution rate.

This crisis has already revealed Australia's frayed and fraying social bonds. When the Prime Minister appealed to people to stop hoarding food and toiletries he said "We're all in this together". He's right.
The problem is though that since the 1970s with the invention of the concept of multiculturalism and with the rise of 'identity politics' more recently, the notion that Australia is a single community with every citizen being in solidarity with every other citizen, has been undermined and attacked at every opportunity.

No government now talks about how all Australians are equal and the same. Instead, all of the emphasis in the public discussion is on how diverse and how different we all are – and how our political and legal systems should accommodate our differences of background, gender, race, and so on.
We’re taught Australia is a nation of tribes – and such thinking leads to selfishness, not selflessness.
Up until a few weeks ago some people had assumed that as Australia's international competitiveness continued to fall the country would spend the coming decades slowly sinking into perpetual decline. The nation's condition would never be quite bad enough to be recognised as a a crisis, and so the public and the politicians they elect would never actually be sufficiently motivated to do something about it.
Well, recent events have proved that particular prediction for the trajectory of the country's fortunes spectacularly wrong.
The nation is now facing an economic, and potentially a social, 'banana republic' situation – times 10.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:28 am

Weren't the over here for some Hill Song show and then did some more travelling after?
Yep
No
Bum Crack
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion