Coronavirus (Covid19)

Anything!

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19)

Postby Dutchy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:10 pm

Pag wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:Outcomes from the meeting between the Education Minister and the IEU:

• The impact of closures on non-teaching staff needs to be addressed urgently in the event of closures. Given the substantial level of public funding from the federal government to non-government schools, that all support staff remain employed and paid

What does this part mean, surely teachers and non teaching staff realise that if there is no work there is no employment, just like the everyone else???

Teachers will be still be teaching from home? Why wouldn't they be getting paid?

I would have thought there would be efficiencies, i.e. a year 10 maths class could be attended by many more online than what would in a classroom. Therefore do you need as many teachers in an online scenario?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:12 pm

I get a feeling someone doesn't want to teach. Would that be correct???
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Jim05 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:14 pm

Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dutchy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:14 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
Support staff are still very much involved in assisting with our delivery; IT staff even moreso than normal. Support staff are contacting all parents daily to see how things are with their children.

EVERYONE in a school would still be working just as hard, if not harder.

We are in an new environment, things are going to be changed for ever due to this, we are actually going to find new efficiencies by accident which businesses and governments will take into the future. Government, just like Business, will need to make cuts, education is not immune to this.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:31 pm

tigerpie wrote:Mums nursing home is closed to all visitors.
Anyone entering the building (essential services) is temperature checked on entry.
What's the point if its on their clothes, tools, bags etc. but they have no symptoms yet?
This would apply to kids going to school as well I guess, little germ spreading buggers.
I know of instances, all parents would, of parents sending kids to school knowing they have head lice.
You know, the parents that think its day care so I can go to the pokies or get shitfaced all day types.
I feel for these kids now going to be stuck home with abusive pissed off parents.

This is the problem
My brother had a dry cough but no fever or a temperature.
The doctor said he didn't have it but tested anyway. A few days later he gets a phone call :shock:
14 days of it and he still doesn't have a temperature (in fact any symptoms now) but is still testing positive.
He's running on a treadmill for 2 hours every day

Temperature testing does not work if you don't have a high temperature and not all infected people have a temperature
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:32 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Pag wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:Outcomes from the meeting between the Education Minister and the IEU:

• The impact of closures on non-teaching staff needs to be addressed urgently in the event of closures. Given the substantial level of public funding from the federal government to non-government schools, that all support staff remain employed and paid

What does this part mean, surely teachers and non teaching staff realise that if there is no work there is no employment, just like the everyone else???

Teachers will be still be teaching from home? Why wouldn't they be getting paid?

I would have thought there would be efficiencies, i.e. a year 10 maths class could be attended by many more online than what would in a classroom. Therefore do you need as many teachers in an online scenario?

We are not teaching machines; we are educating young people.

A critical part of this is the individual relationship with the young person. Just because a person is online does not mean that they deserve less of our attention.

Each student will still have their own questions, their own queries. Each one will have their own need for an adult to assist them. Each student needs to be given the opportunity to grow at their own pace. This is done by having a relationship with the young person.

If anything, online education may require more time with the young person individually, and creates that opportunity. I would love to have a five minute individual session with each student every day, not only for teaching purposes but also to pastorally care for them.

Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:32 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Pag wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

We are not teaching machines; we are educating young people.

A critical part of this is the individual relationship with the young person. Just because a person is online does not mean that they deserve less of our attention.

Each student will still have their own questions, their own queries. Each one will have their own need for an adult to assist them. Each student needs to be given the opportunity to grow at their own pace. This is done by having a relationship with the young person.

If anything, online education may require more time with the young person individually, and creates that opportunity. I would love to have a five minute individual session with each student every day, not only for teaching purposes but also to pastorally care for them.

Cheers
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:42 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:A couple of thoughts and queries

While there are going to be bad luck stories everywhere, including some described on here, the one group I feel sorry for are those in there 70's and 80's who are currently still active, and get through corona-virus, but next year get sick and pass away from the normal causes of people that age do. I feel sorry that this is how they have had to spend what turns out to be their last year.

Second, if people are looking for work, can the government and petrol stations come to some agreement about a pay level below Award that would supplement the Newstart and have people pump petrol so not everyone is touching the pumps? Obviously have to be a special deal, because don't want all other businesses and industries undermining wage levels.

Is there any data on how many people within same families are catching this? There was one Italian family where an elderly parent and three middle-aged children died. When couples and families are sharing beds or enclosed spaces like cars?

At what point does inflation become a real problem, and combined with desparateness, and maybe bordeom, will lead to some of the mass anarchy or individual crimes we have seen in some of the less-well-off countries over the years?

Do you want me to fill you up?

DB48C982-0D35-4517-8B46-77BE91815A49.jpeg
DB48C982-0D35-4517-8B46-77BE91815A49.jpeg (117.67 KiB) Viewed 2922 times
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:56 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Schools would still be operating, just on a different model; online. Not one of my students would miss a single lesson more than they would normally. We can teach online quite effectively. I just had a lesson with my Accounting students on Microsoft Teams - it was just like being there, a Microsoft Word document was visible on everyone's screen that I gave the instructions and steps on.

We had videos and microphones on to take questions and give answers.

Support staff are still very much involved in assisting with our delivery; IT staff even moreso than normal. Support staff are contacting all parents daily to see how things are with their children.

Hope that helps the understanding.

This is also why we all get so frustrated when it is said that if we close, students will lose a year of their education: total, absolute bunkum! They don't need to lose any of their education. Well, as long as they have computers and a working internet - those are areas the govt should be addressing with their stimulus spending.

Cheers

Valid point re not losing a year of their education, but not sure all schools/students in SA would be in the same privileged position as Year 12 students at St Iggies (no facts to back up that assumption :D).
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:56 pm

Bum Crack wrote:I get a feeling someone doesn't want to teach. Would that be correct???

If that is being addressed to me, I definitely want to teach, but feel online is a lot safer. At the moment, I can't teach physically because I am self-isolating due to Covid-19 testing.

I would much rather be with my students in normal circumstances. However, as I have repeated ad infinitum, I am 55, with several risk factors regarding my health. Doctors will not let me teach physically at the moment.

I have a cough and would be sent home if I dared go to school (if and when I am given a negative testing) due to how scared people feel when the witness a cough.

However, I will continue to teach, just not physically in front of them. I love my students and would do anything I possibly can for them. I just don't want to put them, my fellow teachers or my students at risk. Right now, I am in the middle of marking about 30 Year 12 drafts of an accounting assignment. I am on my own for the forseeable future, so keep on procrastinating by poking my head in here between drafts lol
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:58 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Schools would still be operating, just on a different model; online. Not one of my students would miss a single lesson more than they would normally. We can teach online quite effectively. I just had a lesson with my Accounting students on Microsoft Teams - it was just like being there, a Microsoft Word document was visible on everyone's screen that I gave the instructions and steps on.

This is also why we all get so frustrated when it is said that if we close, students will lose a year of their education: total, absolute bunkum! They don't need to lose any of their education. Well, as long as they have computers and a working internet - those are areas the govt should be addressing with their stimulus spending.

Cheers

Valid point re not losing a year of their education, but not sure all schools/students in SA would be in the same privileged position as Year 12 students at St Iggies (no facts to back up that assumption :D).

That is why one of the stimulus measures should have been to make sure that all students have suitable computers and access to internet.
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:00 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Cheers

Btw, the video and microphones are just the standard ones with any laptop. It is all run through the Microsoft Office package which, by the way, Microsoft are currently offering FREE OF CHARGE to any teacher or student.
Cheers
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby Jase » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:05 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Cheers

That is why one of the stimulus measures should have been to make sure that all students have suitable computers and access to internet.

All Middle and Senior students are our school have Laptops, these are purchased by the parents over a 3 year period for each school.

They get a Middle School laptop, lowever spec'd device and pay it off from Year 6 - 9
Senior school then get a higher spec'd laptop and pay it off over 10-12.

Junior school years Reception to 2 are getting work books created by staff that will get them through an extended period of time.
Years 3-5 will have their lessons online but not through Teams. All information, including lesson expectations, assessments, resources, videos etc will be able to be accessed on any internet connected device.

That covers all years at the school
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:06 pm

I wish you were teaching at the moment.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:08 pm

Bum Crack wrote:I wish you were teaching at the moment.

I am teaching at the moment; marking a lot of Year 12 drafts and delivering lessons online.

Am I being paid for it though? No

Anyone taking leave due to Covid-19 is placed on sick leave and not paid their standard wage; whether it be whilst we are in self-isolation, or a conscious decision to not want to infect others by continuing to work.

I am still doing all I would in my normal role, but not being paid. That is the least of my worries though.

Cheers
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:13 pm

Sorry, this is in response to Jase' last point (too many quotes to add):

This is the essential information which our leaders are not presenting parents with.

The worst line I hear re schools is the one: 'if we close schools, all students lose a year of their education'.

That is certainly not the case with most, thanks to great technology which people like Jase keep us working through.
Cheers
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:17 pm

In breaking news, we are moving to online teaching from Wednesday next week and asking students to stay at home unless they cannot have their child adequately cared for otherwise.
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby Dutchy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:19 pm

bulldogproud wrote:In breaking news, we are moving to online teaching from Wednesday next week and asking students to stay at home unless they cannot have their child adequately cared for otherwise.

Certainly hope this doesn't enable parents to leave the kids with grandparents.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:23 pm

bulldogproud wrote:In breaking news, we are moving to online teaching from Wednesday next week and asking students to stay at home unless they cannot have their child adequately cared for otherwise.

Just your school?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:24 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Certainly hope this doesn't enable parents to leave the kids with grandparents.

I do hope no parent would be foolish enough to do that!!! We are offering our school being open to anyone who cannnot have their son or daughter cared for at home. So, in short, there is absolutely no reason for grandparents to be involved. Only foolish actions of parents can cause that.

Cheers
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion