Coronavirus (Covid19)

Anything!

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19)

Postby heater31 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:56 am

Pag wrote:
Q. wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Are you close to retirement age? If not IMO it is silly to revert out of high growth right now, if we have hit the bottom the returns are going to be excellent from here on in. Its all a personal choice and comfort level though and I would be making sure you got some advice before pulling trigger.

I agree with Q, returns should be well over 5% incoming years.

Great point.

The best piece of advice I saw recently for young people:

If you’re 25 years old, the market volatility is meaningless. Your financial capital is insignificant relative to your human capital. There’ll be umpteen market cycles before you retire. Ignore the media hysteria.

Agree with this.

We were looking at moving house soon, I think the property market will affect young people (either positively or negatively depending on their situation) more than super at this point.

Yup. Whilst this has been blowing up I've been negotiating the purchase of a house.....

Luckily both my partner and myself are working in 'essential' jobs. So we should be able to ride the storm. Fingers crossed.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:59 am

Got offered a role working at the BWS at Arndale.
Thinking I'll turn it down as
a) other casuals in my line of work would need it a lot more than me
b) I would rather continue to self isolate as my missus and daughter both suffer from immune deficiencies and the chance of picking up the disease in a place like Arndale would be pretty high

It was good that Woolies are looking after their staff like this and I feel like a bit of a prick for turning it down but I think its the right decision.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:06 am

Wedgie wrote:Got offered a role working at the BWS at Arndale.s
Thinking I'll turn it down as
a) other casuals in my line of work would need it a lot more than me
b) I would rather continue to self isolate as my missus and daughter both suffer from immune deficiencies and the chance of picking up the disease in a place like Arndale would be pretty high

It was good that Woolies are looking after their staff like this and I feel like a bit of a prick for turning it down but I think its the right decision.

Community thinking, what we all need to do. Good one mate. Well played.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:08 am

For those working from home, what time is it acceptable to have a beer on my desk?

Day 1, Friday, racing back on.....productivity = 0%
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:09 am

Booney wrote:For those working from home, what time is it acceptable to have a beer on my desk?

Same as Airport rules IMO
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:10 am

Booney wrote:For those working from home, what time is it acceptable to have a beer on my desk?

My missus has done well and held off till 4.
As a show of support I have done the same each day except for yesterday when I started watching a footy game at 2pm, it just seemed natural to have a beer while watching footy.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:11 am

Right now!

Is there racing on today!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:12 am

Dutchy wrote:

Same as Airport rules IMO

So why the frown from Mrs Boon?

I'll have a word now.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Spargo » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:13 am

First race at The Bool today is at 11:20, depending how long you study the form, I’d say 09:20 is more than acceptable.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby JK » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:14 am

We had a cleaning lady scheduled for this morning but the missus was uncomfortable having visitors so I told her to can it if she wanted. Once she’d made the call I said “Oh well, at least we can start drinking” (kidding obvs)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Dutchy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:17 am

Q. wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Are you close to retirement age? If not IMO it is silly to revert out of high growth right now, if we have hit the bottom the returns are going to be excellent from here on in. Its all a personal choice and comfort level though and I would be making sure you got some advice before pulling trigger.

Great point.

If you’re 25 years old, the market volatility is meaningless. Your financial capital is insignificant relative to your human capital. There’ll be umpteen market cycles before you retire. Ignore the media hysteria.

Yeah 20 years ago a Financial Planner told me, you are young you only have one choice, high growth, you will ride the highs/lows but overall you will be well ahead of the pack, best advice I ever got, literally well over 6 figures better off now.

Nearing my 50's Im still not concerned, Im going to review it again when I'm 55 and maybe go more conservative at that time.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:19 am

An excellent chart to show GFC impacts if you changed at the bottom -

Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby The Bedge » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:29 am

Jnr Bedge (3) has taken over one of my monitors with YouTube - apparently "he's working, and he's good at it".. absolute pest, driving me to drink,. productivity 0%
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:30 am

sunrise works for me!
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby The Bedge » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:33 am

gazzamagoo wrote:

sunrise works for me!

Yeah, Koch makes me wanna drink too :P
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby LMA » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:54 am

Dutchy wrote:
Q. wrote:

Great point.

Yeah 20 years ago a Financial Planner told me, you are young you only have one choice, high growth, you will ride the highs/lows but overall you will be well ahead of the pack, best advice I ever got, literally well over 6 figures better off now.

Nearing my 50's Im still not concerned, Im going to review it again when I'm 55 and maybe go more conservative at that time.

Sure we've had events that have fluctuated the market significantly before but has the world ever stopped before? I think not, happy to be wrong but I'm not gambling 25 years of super.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Oaksnaf » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:31 am

It worries me when statements are made to young investors saying "drops in markets are insignificant". Everything that happens in a market can be significant depending upon the individual and their situation.

Perhaps to be evenly balanced that chart you showed Dutchy, they should show what happens with cash compared to staying in the market when you move to cash at the top of the market and do a 5/10 year comparison.

EDIT: I know what the answer is when looking at this market for the 5/10 year period for the asx. But you can cherry pick data like Japan 1989 / Shanghai 2007/2015 etc.

People need to seek professional advice and not look at charts of tops/bottoms scenarios. As you can cherry pick your way to suit the angle of multiple opinions.
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 291 times

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:06 pm

99CE03C2-1EFF-4936-AED3-5E340A875A15.jpeg
99CE03C2-1EFF-4936-AED3-5E340A875A15.jpeg (84.47 KiB) Viewed 3487 times
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:22 pm

Oaksnaf wrote:
Perhaps to be evenly balanced that chart you showed Dutchy, they should show what happens with cash compared to staying in the market when you move to cash at the top of the market and do a 5/10 year comparison.

People need to seek professional advice and not look at charts of tops/bottoms scenarios. As you can cherry pick your way to suit the angle of multiple opinions.

Absolutely moving to cash at the peak of the market is an ideal scenario if you are close to retirement, Ill be trying to nail this myself in a few years time.

But we are discussing the bottom (or near to it) of the market, where it is now, and what the best options are now.

Agree, everyone's position is different and professional advice should be sought.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby mal » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:44 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
whufc wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:
This is what concerned me and why I posted a lot - to try to get people to realise how serious the school situation was. Most shedders are asymptomatic; most young people are asymptomatic. Covid-19 in asymptomatic people is very scary, like a stealth bomber going undetected until it strikes someone who it can do some nasty work on. A lot of teachers in schools are over 50 and with various risk factors (e.g. diabetic, high blood pressure)
I better go, reached my daily limit of posts imposed by Mein Fuhrer Bum Crack ;)

Mate its not just schools that have risks, for some teachers they are only exposed to 30 kids for the day, some other workers are exposed to hundreds every day, think about Centrelink workers currently for example.

I appreciate everything Teachers do for our kids, they are really committed to their jobs, but gee don't we hear about it when things don't got their way.

Couldnt agree more! Think of Woolies, Foodland staff etc. At least teachers have somewhat control over the people within their space.

Sorry, just had to make one more comment on this (and it is after midnight, so Mein Fuhrer should allow me).

If you think it is just for teachers that we are doing this, think again please!

A number of experts in the field, learning that I was a teacher who had to be tested for this virus (Mr Bill Bowtell, Dr David Caldicott, Dr David Allen, Dr Alan Baxter) asked me on Twitter to get this message out to people before it was too late. Thankfully, Dr Norman Swan has also joined in this, calling for us to absolutely smash Covid-19, not just mitigate it. It is the information from these esteemed experts in the field that I am sharing. I am just a standard teacher, they are the experts. The points I am making come from them, not so much from me.

WHO studies in Vu, Massachusetts, Iceland and Wuhan have all proven that most transference is from asymptomatic individuals. Most young people who contract Covid-19 are asymptomatic. The age range that most school parents fall into (20-39) is overrepresented in the statistics. You would expect it to be much lower than for older people; it is at the same level for the 60's age group and above those for 70's and 80's.

Is there a possible connection between school parents being hit hard by Covid-19 and it being passed on asymptomatically in schools? The jury is still out on that one. We can only know if we start testing asymptomatic schoolchildren - which it doesn't look as if it is going to happen for a long, long time. However, are we prepared to take the risk that it isn't being transferred, or do we value human life?

Asymptomatic shedding is the worst kind of shedding as it is like a stealth bomber. If it is in schools, it can be moving from one child, to another child, to another child, then to an adult, another adult etc. without maybe being detected until it hits someone really hard. If this is possibly happening, shouldn't we err on the side of caution??

Who are people like us concerned for? Well, for one; any bus driver transporting the students, assistants at shops whom the young people may visit to buy a drink from on the way home, cleaners (after medical staff, trust us, these guys are the real heros - very much on the front line of dealing with the virus!), medical staff who may need to deal with cases arising from these transferences, parents, children (always the number one concern of teachers).. and YOU, the general community.

Additionally, closing down schools will be the one real way of sending a message to young people that they will actually listen to. At the moment, as their life is less altered than the rest of society, they still seem to have a feeling of 'immunity', that it can't happen to them, that their life can be continued pretty much as is.

I teach at a school that is regarded (rightly or wrongly) as a fairly academic school. You would think that Year 12s at this school would be bright enough to follow social distancing rules, wouldn't you? Well, at least we would hope so. Unfortunately, it is not so easy for young adults to always remember to social-distance. Just about every classroom I go into, there will be students friendly gangtackling one another or similar. This is a mentality that is very difficult to stop - think back to when you were in the 14- to-18 age group. If it is hard for this age group, I am sure it is even harder for the younger ones. Social distancing in schools is incredibly hard to implement and enforce - it is a losing battle!

Many young people think they are invincible and call this virus the 'exit boomer virus'. In fact, some people on here seem to be reinforcing that opinion, and also a lot on the media. Well, not only can it be passed on from children to adults, but it can also have a severe impact on children.

They are now in ICUs on ventilators gasping for breath, in fact some are even dying!! Until we can get young people to realise they are not invincible, their actions won't change.

I just wish you could see this, I know that a number of you can... but those of you who said that the campaign for closing schools was just about 'precious teachers' PLEASE think again, please! This is for YOUR life as much as it is for any teacher. We really need to absolutely SMASH this virus immediately. It can be done with a total lockdown for a period of 8 to 12 weeks, with then domestic activities opened up again, but not allowing any international movements until a vaccine is found. However, rather than the 6 to 12 month partial closures that those calling for mitigation seek, a TOTAL lockdown only needs to be for that 8 to 12 week period.

Anyway, I hope I got through to some of you. If I didn't and I see some more 'teacher bashing' comments on here tomorrow, you will have succeeded and will not be hearing from me again on this topic. I promised that the other night, but it was too important an issue to leave. If I can't get through now, then I never will!

Sorry about the incredibly long rant, but if ever an issue was important enough to warrant one, it is this one!

Cheers and good health to each and every one of you.

Excellent post from a teachers perspective
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion