SANFL Clubs

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL Clubs

Postby JK » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:51 am

The clubs were on to this pretty early, well before the incremental shutdown processes commenced, so I think they’ve been as proactive as they probably could be. As others have mentioned though, such a tough time to try and raise the required funds.

Whilst some clubs might have the $$ to hold out a bit longer, ALL are under threat depending on how long this lasts.

Wonder if the SANFL could implement another one of those mega raffles they did about 7 or 8 years ago (the one the umpire won the major prize in)? Whether it would raise enough to actually help the clubs at a meaningful level I’m not sure, just trying to think of ways to help prop them up.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:17 am

Booney wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:
nwdfanparade wrote:I have just donated $100 to my club (that's on top of membership and new scarf, cap & t-shirt). I urge every one to make a donation to help their club through this very trying times. If 3,000 supporters/members donate $20 each to their club, that's $60,000 that's helping your club.

Think about how much money you have spare not going to games this year, not going to the pub for meals and drinks. Donate the money you're saving staying home to your club. Every little bit helps. Certainly Membership and merchandise helps but fork out a little bit more in a donation.

that's easy for the "haves" to say, but Centrals doesn't have anywhere near 3,000 members & we are in a predominantly lower socio-economic area, there isn't any disposable income at the best of times, people won't be handing over money to a sporting club for no real reason at all.

I'm not buying that, how many people would have dropped $20 in the pokies over the last 12 months in the area? How many would have dropped $20 in Grand Central itself?

You have to keep in mind that a high percentage of regular pokie players probably have no interest in Centrals the football club and only go there because of the facility itself.

Those people dropping $20 in the pokies most likely have no reall concern for Centrals long term and will just go and drop $20 at the elizabeth tavern, Red Lion, Midway.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:19 am

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:
I'm not buying that, how many people would have dropped $20 in the pokies over the last 12 months in the area? How many would have dropped $20 in Grand Central itself?

You have to keep in mind that a high percentage of regular pokie players probably have no interest in Centrals the football club and only go there because of the facility itself.

Those people dropping $20 in the pokies most likely have no reall concern for Centrals long term and will just go and drop $20 at the elizabeth tavern, Red Lion, Midway.

My point was saying "there's no disposable income" in the area isn't true. Like many lower socio economic areas go into a KFC/Macca's/HJ's and tell me people aren't throwing splash money around.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Groucho » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:34 am

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:

My point was saying "there's no disposable income" in the area isn't true. Like many lower socio economic areas go into a KFC/Macca's/HJ's and tell me people aren't throwing splash money around.

Yes, but the club is now closed due to the coronavirus and doesn't have any income.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:40 am

Groucho wrote:Yes, but the club is now closed due to the coronavirus and doesn't have any income.

I understand that, gazza's point was people in the area don't have $20 to spare to give the club, they do, they just choose to put it into something else and to be blunt it would be put to much better use giving it to the club than it would be throwing it away on shit, pokies especially.

(Some, not all)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:15 am

OK so the clubs dont have any meaningful income at the moment, but they should have very little expenses also, especially if their debt level is low which Centrals have said it is.

Just seems really strange to have the hand out at this time, I can understand a little bit later once operations start back up, you could actually get some momentum with the positive news of footy on the horizon.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:17 am

Dutchy wrote:OK so the clubs dont have any meaningful income at the moment, but they should have very little expenses also, especially if their debt level is low which Centrals have said it is.

Just seems really strange to have the hand out at this time, I can understand a little bit later once operations start back up, you could actually get some momentum with the positive news of footy on the horizon.

Hard to believe if they're after $250k already.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:25 am

Dutchy wrote:OK so the clubs dont have any meaningful income at the moment, but they should have very little expenses also, especially if their debt level is low which Centrals have said it is.

I think the clubs right from the get go, could see the worst case scenario being a year without any at matches at all, so figured the earliest they get onto it the better. Most clubs would have facilities they need to pay principal and/or interest on. My club is generally one of the financially healthier ones as a rule, but couldn't be a worse time to have repayments on a build without potentially being able to derive any income from it when completed, couple with the loss of matchday and function revenue and most significantly gaming revenue. Testing times for all and whilst I'd hate to think of my club going under, that thought scares me just as much for ANY of the clubs.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby goddy11 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:28 am

PORT Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas admits the future of the club's long-standing state league outfit could be in jeopardy as the sport grapples with the financial crisis caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Bluedemon » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:28 am

VALE PARK wrote:Some old collegians clubs in the ammos may have more teams than SANFL Clubs.
The reserves comp could disappear in 2021.

The reserve comp was on the agenda of disappearing soon anyway
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 96 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Pseudo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:29 am

goddy11 wrote:PORT Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas admits the future of the club's long-standing state league outfit could be in jeopardy as the sport grapples with the financial crisis caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

Finally, some good news to come out of this pandemic.

(edit) long standing? 6 years? Bwaaaahahahahaaaa.....
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Dutchy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:31 am

> Banks are deferring repayments for 6 months and now offering Working Capital Govt Backed loans up to $250k with no interest for 6 months, these are available up until September 2020 at this stage
> Landlords (mostly councils who would have to be supportive) are deferring lease payments
> ATO are deferring repayments for at least 4 months at this stage

This is all in place so businesses can go into hibernation and make it to the other side.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Bluedemon » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:32 am

goddy11 wrote:PORT Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas admits the future of the club's long-standing state league outfit could be in jeopardy as the sport grapples with the financial crisis caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

So their players would then be split up to the SANFL clubs and making it a 9 team comp or would Adelaide go also?
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 96 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:36 am

I think the issue is they have almost zero income and would definitely still have expenditure.

Expenditure wise think:

-Utilities in particular industrial fridges to keep stock within food safety regulations
-Think stock wastage as a well which they will need to replace when re-open
-Insurance/public liability will still be required
-Some small staff wages, someone would be on deck or managing the emails, finance, invoices etc.
-Because staff are stood down not terminated they still acquire long service leave, annual leave, staff workers comp insurance
-You are still liable for preventative maintenance such as air conditioning service which at my centre is $2k, test and tag etc etc
-Phone lines, internet, computer software that they would be leasing would still need to be paid.
-Subscriptions such as foxtel, website, potentially TAB would still need to be paid.

To put in some perspective, at the gym/pool/stadium i manage we are expecting approximately $19k in non avoidable expenses with not a single income stream per month whilst we are closed. Presuming they are doing accrued accounting.

That also doesnt take into account any lost revenue on merchandise with 2020 branding if we dont go ahead with the season. I know Schweppes and Speedo are not doing any refunds credit on stock purchased what so ever.
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:59 am

Pseudo wrote:

If you're rejoicing in any of the news relating to this you're a peasant. Whether it be Port, Centrals, West, South or the Bays. Pathetic.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:17 pm

whufc wrote:

I think the issue is they have almost zero income and would definitely still have expenditure.

Expenditure wise think:

-Utilities in particular industrial fridges to keep stock within food safety regulations
-Some small staff wages, someone would be on deck or managing the emails, finance, invoices etc.
-Because staff are stood down not terminated they still acquire long service leave, annual leave, staff workers comp insurance
-You are still liable for preventative maintenance such as air conditioning service which at my centre is $2k, test and tag etc etc
-Phone lines, internet, computer software that they would be leasing would still need to be paid.
-Subscriptions such as foxtel, website, potentially TAB would still need to be paid.

To put in some perspective, at the gym/pool/stadium i manage we are expecting approximately $19k in non avoidable expenses with not a single income stream per month whilst we are closed. Presuming they are doing accrued accounting.

That also doesnt take into account any lost revenue on merchandise with 2020 branding if we dont go ahead with the season. I know Schweppes and Speedo are not doing any refunds credit on stock purchased what so ever.

Understand that, there are better ways to get thru this though IMO than asking for donations at this time. Surely they aren't sailing that close to the wind that they can't absorb or defer some of these? If they have a sound long term business plan then its just holding up thru this period.

It would be good to understand what the SANFL are doing to support (or otherwise) the clubs.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:23 pm

Dutchy wrote:
whufc wrote:

Expenditure wise think:

Understand that, there are better ways to get thru this though IMO than asking for donations at this time. Surely they aren't sailing that close to the wind that they can't absorb or defer some of these? If they have a sound long term business plan then its just holding up thru this period.

It would be good to understand what the SANFL are doing to support (or otherwise) the clubs.

I get what your saying but in the case of my workplace we are looking at losing $114,000 over the 6 months if it lasts this long (this is what we are preparing for to which i believe is pretty realistically).

Luckily for us we are coming into a quieter period but if you think of Centrals for example they are potentially going to miss out on the one part of the year where they are 'profitable'

That loss could easily get up to around $150k plus before next football season comes around they start generating serious income.

Everyone is also weary around what the other side looks like, will we boom greater then ever before due to missing everything. Will we be in an all time great recession with everyone holding their many. The unknown is almost worse that whats actually happening.
whufc
Coach

Postby RB » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:26 pm

Booney wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

If you're rejoicing in any of the news relating to this you're a peasant. Whether it be Port, Centrals, West, South or the Bays. Pathetic.
Haha, ouch, being called a peasant by a Port supporter.

Not quite sure what's so offensive though, I can't see anyone losing their job if the Reserves go apart from perhaps Lokan.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby smac » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:09 pm

Dutchy wrote:
whufc wrote:

Expenditure wise think:

Perhaps the timing, just before $750 handout round 1, is strategic?
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby am Bays » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:14 pm

smac wrote:Perhaps the timing, just before $750 handout round 1, is strategic?

Welcome back legend

Now we just need Dogger back
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL