Ben Cousins

Talk on the national game

Re: Ben Cousins

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:20 am

I can't see why anyone would think the interview was worth doing nor can I see why anyone would have watched it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:21 am

Dutchy wrote:Hard to feel sorry for him, has anyone ever had more opportunity to get clean?

The depth of some peoples addictions are impossible to comprehend for those of us who don't have the same impulses.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:27 am

From the bits I saw, I felt sorry for him. That’s not to say he hasn’t brought this on himself and unfortunately those around him, but it doesn’t make it any less sad. I’m sure plenty of us on here know people that have been through similar addiction battles - Even if they come out the other side they are often permanently “altered”, and to me Ben looked in that category. I feel the same as most, that it’s not going to end well for him, hope I’m wrong.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:43 am

Booney wrote:I can't see why anyone would think the interview was worth doing nor can I see why anyone would have watched it.

I think Cousins thought it was worth doing
Enough $$$$ for the next week or so

Shame on 7 if they paid him

I didn’t watch it and won’t so 7 don’t profit from it
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:47 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Booney wrote:I can't see why anyone would think the interview was worth doing nor can I see why anyone would have watched it.

I think Cousins thought it was worth doing
Enough $$$$ for the next week or so

Shame on 7 if they paid him

I didn’t watch it and won’t so 7 don’t profit from it

He was paid for it.
Apparently it’ll go to his lawyer for his expenses and he’ll distribute it to Ben as he sees fit.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Bum Crack » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:50 am

It was that bad, I switched over and watched my first episode of MAFS
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:52 am

Only reason he did it
I have a drug addict relative.
If he’d applied himself and brain to work like he does to scamming, he’d be a billionaire
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:56 am

Bum Crack wrote:It was that bad, I switched over and watched my first episode of MAFS

Between that and Survivor, I’ve read plenty of books in the past month
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:17 am

So long as Ben does not see a dime from this interview - I can see one big positive out of it.

Yep - there was no new information that came from it (I didn't watch it expecting any), but the world could clearly see that 20 years on from his first dabble, Ben is one of the lucky ones still here to tell his story, primarily on the back of the fact he has received far more opportunity to get clean than the average human gripped by this horrific drug.

Looking at how far he has fallen- from Brownlow Medallist and Premiership Player to prison garbo, and listening to a man quickly reaching the point where he can barely string a sentence together - it is important publicity on the war against drugs. Ben if anything needs to be the poster for anyone thinking of substance abuse as a way to escape their issues, or a source of enjoyment.

He has sadly passed the point of no return and I have no sympathy for him, but the more examples of the depth of drug addiction and it's impact on the individual and respective families that get made visual, the better.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Dutchy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:18 am

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Hard to feel sorry for him, has anyone ever had more opportunity to get clean?

The depth of some peoples addictions are impossible to comprehend for those of us who don't have the same impulses.

Understand that, and this is a great case study cause he is one who has more opportunity and support than anyone else to come out the other side, but chooses not too...
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:25 am

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:

Understand that, and this is a great case study cause he is one who has more opportunity and support than anyone else to come out the other side, but chooses not too...

No, it's not a choice. It's not that easy. That's what those of us who aren't subjected to substance abuse will never understand.

If this was as simple as him choosing what he wants he wouldn't be in this position.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:31 am

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:

No, it's not a choice. It's not that easy. That's what those of us who aren't subjected to substance abuse will never understand.

If this was as simple as him choosing what he wants he wouldn't be in this position.

Well it is a choice, but not an easy one. Unfortunately he's reached the point where he feels he cant function with any mental or emotional clarity unless he's under the influence. So the way he would see it is that his choice is to go to that level (and lose everything he has left), or Power through but struggle to cope with the needs of life. Again he started this mess so I can understand why there's not much sympathy around for him but he's pretty much f***ed for ever trying to have a happy and healthy life, because he has to bear the cost of the decisions he's already made.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Bum Crack » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:35 am

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:

It is his choice. He doesn't want to change but I'm sure he'd like your explanation though, as that gives them justification to use as it's not their fault and we just don't understand bla bla bla. The opportunities he's been given and pissed up against the wall clearly show that.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:44 am

I'm no expert on addition, I'm only going on what I've learnt from people, close to me, who have battled addiction and got help. One of them clinically dead, at least once, before the realisation came.

Many people reach a point and see it as their "low" and make the changes they need, many people never reach that point and aren't here to tell the story.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Kahuna » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:23 pm

I thought the whole thing was pretty piss poor. Basil Zempalis who I generally like was way out of his depth, would of been better perhaps with a decent interviewer and an interview ONLY without the catch ups with mates. Basil's deepest question "Did you get the root?"
Format seemed to be-- Ask question, accept deflection or "correct" answer, cut to rant in back seat of car, cut to tennis match with Nate Fyfe and heaps of awkward "how ya bin mates".
Basil's deepest question "Did you get the root?"

What I learnt--
In jail you get shit racquets and balls when you play tennis.
Apparently in WA you ring 911 not 000 in an emergency.
Nic Nat struggles with the pressure of being an AFL star, can't go to the shops in the afternoon.
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby tigerpie » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:29 pm

His lawyer must put something aside for his kids?
If that isn't part if the deal then the lawyer needs a whoopin!

Like to know what he got paid.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby beef » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:32 pm

Kahuna wrote:I thought the whole thing was pretty piss poor. Basil Zempalis who I generally like was way out of his depth, would of been better perhaps with a decent interviewer and an interview ONLY without the catch ups with mates. Basil's deepest question "Did you get the root?"
Format seemed to be-- Ask question, accept deflection or "correct" answer, cut to rant in back seat of car, cut to tennis match with Nate Fyfe and heaps of awkward "how ya bin mates".
Basil's deepest question "Did you get the root?"

What I learnt--
In jail you get shit racquets and balls when you play tennis.
Apparently in WA you ring 911 not 000 in an emergency.
Nic Nat struggles with the pressure of being an AFL star, can't go to the shops in the afternoon.

The 911 call was when he was in LA at "rehab"
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby Kahuna » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:39 pm

beef wrote:The 911 call was when he was in LA at "rehab"

Oh ok, missed that, thanks for the correction.
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:14 pm

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:

They had a psychologist or drug expert on the show(can’t remember her exact title) but she clearly said at the end it’s Ben’s choice as to where this goes next and what lifestyle he chooses to have.

He has shown no remorse, he hasn’t been the slightest bit apologetic, and continues to make excuses and blame everyone else.

BUT I watched it hoping he can turn it around.
He’s past that point now unfortunately
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:12 pm

Booney wrote:

I've had to sack 2 this year, both good lads, one after 4 years, known the family for 20 years.
Tried to cover for the latter & hopefully knock some sense into him. The other one met Martha Meth head on tinder & within 2 weeks was fckude.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL