Ben Cousins

Talk on the national game

Re: Ben Cousins

Postby Magellan » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:54 pm

Cousins seems to have passed the point of no return, sadly, it would seem. Choice or not, he appears to have had opportunities to turn the corner, they've been passed on, and he is where he is.

More sadly, he's trading (I'm assuming he was paid to do the interview) on his status as something between a modern day equivalent of an exhibit at a Victorian-era freak-show and someone in a reality TV show. Cousins has an opportunity to exploit his situation to earn some some quick cash (and in his position, why not?), because people want to see the next episode of 'Ben Cousins - AFL Player Meth Survivor' - has he regressed further into drug-dependency (he's a villain, wasted his talent etc), or is there a glimmer of redemption (come on Ben, you can do it!)? Stay tuned, until the next episode in a couple of years, when they'll wheel him out again and the reality show will continue.

The point is, we don't really need to see more of Ben Cousins as a shadow of his former self, and Channel Seven knows that, but can't resist the ratings bonanza that a freak-show can provide. I'm sure it rated its arse off in Perth. With no footy to broadcast, the programming executives probably felt it was the next best thing.

As others have said, hopefully some of whatever he's been paid has gone towards other more important things than his next score, although I'd say it's unlikely, as he's probably in far too deep to care about (or, depending on your view, feel capable of) fixing his situation.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:17 pm

Just watched the interview and sadly it was the splitting image of me chatting to far to many mates.

I really sympathised and understood the message Nic Nat was trying to get across. That feeling of guilt because you are ‘ok’ whilst your mates struggle. Wanting to see your mate laugh and be happy again because whist using you can tell their never truly happy.

Sadly whether he uses or not the long term drug abuse has now caused life time damage. The mind frame that he needs a bit to be normal is sadly often the last scene.

Would love nothing more than hearing he gets his life back on track.

It’s an all too familiar story of having the world at your feet and drugs taking hold.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby hollywood7477 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:00 pm

Ok so Ben Cousins to me was the best footballer. I loved watching him and he only just pipped Peter Matera as my fav player ever. I have read or seen every article on Cuzzy and I am so sad to see what happened to him. He had it all. Has lost I think 5 houses and millions of dollars because he went down the wrong path. Just think if he didn’t go down that path. Good looking bloke, outstanding player and had the charm. He would be still involved in footy and would have led the perfect after footy life. But as everyone has seen that never happened.

Last night I was intrigued to see where he is at because the only things you see is all the bad publicity. I was hoping he was on the right path but I was a little shocked. The 2 parts of the interview him in the car and the other one where a woman was interviewing him where I was like he is going through a psychotic episode and I think that’s where he is at.

During the interview you could see the old Cuzzy where he just had this charisma and the part where he got a little choked up when speaking about Mainy and I thought he is getting there. He wants to get better and as he said he just wants a normal life but unless he can get help from a psychiatrist I don’t like how it will all end. He needs to find a house to live in first so he can have some normality . I was hoping to hear from his dad. People want him to beat this and I truly hope he does. I did love the comment to NicNat when he played Richmond tho. How good would that combo have been
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 71 times

Postby LMA » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:10 pm

Didn't watch it but seen the promos, what was his link to the lady from Home & Away?
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:19 pm

LMA wrote:Didn't watch it but seen the promos, what was his link to the lady from Home & Away?

He sent her a random letter reaching out to her.

She believed it was because her character plays someone who always looks after and is kind to addicts in the show.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby LMA » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:24 pm

whufc wrote:
LMA wrote:Didn't watch it but seen the promos, what was his link to the lady from Home & Away?

She believed it was because her character plays someone who always looks after and is kind to addicts in the show.

Jeezus!
LMA
Coach

Postby Spargo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:44 pm

LMA wrote:
whufc wrote:

Jeezus!

Yep, that’s just the start of it. It was obviously produced by the work experience kid, had train wreck written all over it after 3 minutes.
Basil was so excruciatingly bad beyond belief.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5459 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Dutchy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:54 pm

Im not sure what CH7 see in Basil...

Also wonder what Puma thought of Ben wearing their t-shirts for the interview, not sure any brand would want to be associated with him
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby LMA » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:37 pm

Spargo wrote:
LMA wrote:
whufc wrote:

Jeezus!

Yep, that’s just the start of it. It was obviously produced by the work experience kid, had train wreck written all over it after 3 minutes.
Basil was so excruciatingly bad beyond belief.

I don't mind him in the odd game he commentates but definitely wouldn't of thought he'd be a good fit for a serious interview.
LMA
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:09 am

LMA wrote:
whufc wrote:

Jeezus!

She’s as cooked as he is. It could had been Robert Hughes on the screen and he would had got the same letter.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 739 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:25 am

hollywood7477 wrote:Ok so Ben Cousins to me was the best footballer. I loved watching him and he only just pipped Peter Matera as my fav player ever. I have read or seen every article on Cuzzy and I am so sad to see what happened to him. He had it all. Has lost I think 5 houses and millions of dollars because he went down the wrong path. Just think if he didn’t go down that path. Good looking bloke, outstanding player and had the charm. He would be still involved in footy and would have led the perfect after footy life. But as everyone has seen that never happened.

Last night I was intrigued to see where he is at because the only things you see is all the bad publicity. I was hoping he was on the right path but I was a little shocked. The 2 parts of the interview him in the car and the other one where a woman was interviewing him where I was like he is going through a psychotic episode and I think that’s where he is at.

During the interview you could see the old Cuzzy where he just had this charisma and the part where he got a little choked up when speaking about Mainy and I thought he is getting there. He wants to get better and as he said he just wants a normal life but unless he can get help from a psychiatrist I don’t like how it will all end. He needs to find a house to live in first so he can have some normality . I was hoping to hear from his dad. People want him to beat this and I truly hope he does. I did love the comment to NicNat when he played Richmond tho. How good would that combo have been

Don’t get charisma mixed up with smug, arrogant or selfish!

I hope he makes something of his life after footy though before it’s too late.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby tigerpie » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:32 am

Geez that was hard to watch!
From having the world at his feet to carting his belongings about in a kit bag.
Pretty bloody sad I reckon.
Nic nats comments about the scrutiny that comes with playing at the highest level was annoying.
Nobody is forcing you to play buddy!
Nobody is forcing you to take $800k a year. He sounded like a spoilt child.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:22 pm

whufc wrote:

He thought it was Isla Fisher, he sent it on payday.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:28 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

He thought it was Isla Fisher, he sent it on payday.

He’s not cooked, he’s charcoaled if he gets those 2 mixed up!
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:39 pm

Arrested again
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby DOC » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:40 pm

Fallen AFL star Ben Cousins is reportedly in police custody in Perth.
Nine News Perth reported Cousins had been taken to a holding cell after allegedly being found with 2.5 grams of methamphetamine.

“Ben Cousins is right now in a holding cell here at the Perth watchhouse,” Nine reporter Jerrie Demasi said.

“He was arrested, found sleeping, next to his car after reports of erratic driving.

“Police tell me a body search found 2.5 grams of methamphetamine.”

Cousins was allegedly seen driving erratically in Victoria Park before being arrested and taken to Kensington Police Station. He reportedly then became aggravated.

The Brownlow medallist took part in a paid TV interview just three weeks ago in which he discussed his battle with a drug addiction.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:21 am

DOC wrote:Fallen AFL star Ben Cousins is reportedly in police custody in Perth.
Nine News Perth reported Cousins had been taken to a holding cell after allegedly being found with 2.5 grams of methamphetamine.

“Ben Cousins is right now in a holding cell here at the Perth watchhouse,” Nine reporter Jerrie Demasi said.

“He was arrested, found sleeping, next to his car after reports of erratic driving.

“Police tell me a body search found 2.5 grams of methamphetamine.”

Cousins was allegedly seen driving erratically in Victoria Park before being arrested and taken to Kensington Police Station. He reportedly then became aggravated.

The Brownlow medallist took part in a paid TV interview just three weeks ago in which he discussed his battle with a drug addiction.

It's not his fault he got caught.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:03 am

Doesn't look particularly good for C7, giving a known addict money to talk about taking drugs.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:15 am

Booney wrote:Doesn't look particularly good for C7, giving a known addict money to talk about taking drugs.

At least it sounds like he brought a car with it.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:25 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:Doesn't look particularly good for C7, giving a known addict money to talk about taking drugs.

At least it sounds like he brought a car with it.

And a couple of KG’s of drugs to go with it.
amber_fluid
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL