SANFL Clubs

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL Clubs

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:22 pm

RB wrote:
Booney wrote:
Pseudo wrote:
goddy11 wrote:PORT Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas admits the future of the club's long-standing state league outfit could be in jeopardy as the sport grapples with the financial crisis caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

Finally, some good news to come out of this pandemic.

(edit) long standing? 6 years? Bwaaaahahahahaaaa.....

If you're rejoicing in any of the news relating to this you're a peasant. Whether it be Port, Centrals, West, South or the Bays. Pathetic.
Haha, ouch, being called a peasant by a Port supporter.

Not quite sure what's so offensive though, I can't see anyone losing their job if the Reserves go apart from perhaps Lokan.

You might be surprised to know Port fans quite like the SANFL and want to see our side compete in it, in any form. Old habits die hard.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:24 pm

am Bays wrote:
smac wrote:Perhaps the timing, just before $750 handout round 1, is strategic?

Welcome back legend

Now we just need Dogger back

I was reading through some old sanfl threads yesterday.
Overloaded and Dogger_2 provides some value at times.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:32 pm

smac wrote:Perhaps the timing, just before $750 handout round 1, is strategic?

Had to rub my eyes. It can't be. But, it is.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:47 pm

Welcome back Symac
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:11 pm

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:
nwdfanparade wrote:I have just donated $100 to my club (that's on top of membership and new scarf, cap & t-shirt). I urge every one to make a donation to help their club through this very trying times. If 3,000 supporters/members donate $20 each to their club, that's $60,000 that's helping your club.

Think about how much money you have spare not going to games this year, not going to the pub for meals and drinks. Donate the money you're saving staying home to your club. Every little bit helps. Certainly Membership and merchandise helps but fork out a little bit more in a donation.

that's easy for the "haves" to say, but Centrals doesn't have anywhere near 3,000 members & we are in a predominantly lower socio-economic area, there isn't any disposable income at the best of times, people won't be handing over money to a sporting club for no real reason at all.

I'm not buying that, how many people would have dropped $20 in the pokies over the last 12 months in the area? How many would have dropped $20 in Grand Central itself?

You have to keep in mind that a high percentage of regular pokie players probably have no interest in Centrals the football club and only go there because of the facility itself.

Those people dropping $20 in the pokies most likely have no reall concern for Centrals long term and will just go and drop $20 at the elizabeth tavern, Red Lion, Midway.

this is 100% correct
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:13 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:
I'm not buying that, how many people would have dropped $20 in the pokies over the last 12 months in the area? How many would have dropped $20 in Grand Central itself?

You have to keep in mind that a high percentage of regular pokie players probably have no interest in Centrals the football club and only go there because of the facility itself.

Those people dropping $20 in the pokies most likely have no reall concern for Centrals long term and will just go and drop $20 at the elizabeth tavern, Red Lion, Midway.

My point was saying "there's no disposable income" in the area isn't true. Like many lower socio economic areas go into a KFC/Macca's/HJ's and tell me people aren't throwing splash money around.

ok, now go and ask them to cough up $140 for a season ticket to a sports club that isn't playing sports.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:11 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:

My point was saying "there's no disposable income" in the area isn't true. Like many lower socio economic areas go into a KFC/Macca's/HJ's and tell me people aren't throwing splash money around.

ok, now go and ask them to cough up $140 for a season ticket to a sports club that isn't playing sports.

That's not what the club is asking for though, $20 donations will all add up.

Mine included.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brett » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:58 pm

Clubs need a big backer as well as donations. If they don't have that and in trouble, they won't survive. I must say I'm not surprised by Centrals slide. That decade has actually come back to bite them IMO. Too many jumped on that didnt really follow footy I think and then jumped off.It would be great if they came back to the fold to help Centrals out.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby Aerie » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:20 pm

So, what of the SANFL? It's been teetering between the AFL and Community Leagues since the Crows came in. 2014 saw Port Power and Crows Reserves teams implemented, meaning the SANFL sides had to keep up to stay competitive, which they've done so far. Fortunately no AFL Reserves Premiers.

It looks as though the AFL will be cost-saving, already assistant coaches have been cut. It looks like list sizes will decrease and possibly some clubs won't survive.

What does that mean for the SANFL? More ex-AFL listed players available? No AFL Reserves sides?

Does the SANFL go back to the system it had previously for AFL players not getting a league game? Does the AFL take over?

Do all SANFL clubs survive? Can we bring West Torrens back?
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Hazydog » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:29 pm

My take is that Centrals have struggled with generating surplus income over the last few years, which has seen significant tightening of the belt in expenditure in order to not create annual financial losses. They have basically trod water on that scope. On the plus side however, the responsible edict of the SANFL to only use the Footy Park funds for debt reduction, has seen the bank loan reduced greatly. Clearly at present they are in desperate cash flow trouble- as all clubs would be to differing extents. Maybe the rattling of the tins seems justified to them given they have never needed to do it before, and also given they gave supporters Arun for their money that no club ever has or probably never will again.
I think $250K is a tad ambitious.. (ok very ambitious) but maybe it’s more to generate the sense of emergency and is more of an ambit claim..
Whatever it is- I’ve renewed the membership and donated a bit more what I would normally pay for a season ticket. It’s the least I can do after years of pain followed by pleasure..
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby LMA » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:33 pm

Aerie wrote:So, what of the SANFL? It's been teetering between the AFL and Community Leagues since the Crows came in. 2014 saw Port Power and Crows Reserves teams implemented, meaning the SANFL sides had to keep up to stay competitive, which they've done so far. Fortunately no AFL Reserves Premiers.

It looks as though the AFL will be cost-saving, already assistant coaches have been cut. It looks like list sizes will decrease and possibly some clubs won't survive.

What does that mean for the SANFL? More ex-AFL listed players available? No AFL Reserves sides?

Does the SANFL go back to the system it had previously for AFL players not getting a league game? Does the AFL take over?

Do all SANFL clubs survive? Can we bring West Torrens back?

IMO

If the AFL trim lists to 35, the figure being thrown around, then it looks inevitable that the SANFL reverts back to 2013 format where AFL listed players are distributed evenly. I think all SANFL clubs will survive, most councils will offer rate relief and clubs will have low overheads if the lights aren't on and there's no staff or players to pay.

West Torrens I think not, too much water has gone under that bridge, the Amateurs have Thebby now anyway. If Port can survive with 2 teams in both comps, looking unlikely at this stage, then that would be a better option as the supporter base and infrastructure are already there.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:12 am

Rumors the Magpies will not exist next year are gaining momentum. Looks increasingly likely there won't be a side from the PAFC in the SANFL. :(
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:23 am

Booney wrote:Rumors the Magpies will not exist next year are gaining momentum. Looks increasingly likely there won't be a side from the PAFC in the SANFL. :(
Attachments
12375A4A-6766-48DD-88F4-6E0723E0F733.png
12375A4A-6766-48DD-88F4-6E0723E0F733.png (19.18 KiB) Viewed 4818 times
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:52 am

Them and the Crows signed a 15 year agreement with the SANFL, they just can't walk away.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:13 am

Grantley Fielke fronting the West Adelaide FC fund raising campaign.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby DOC » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:22 am

Dutchy wrote:Them and the Crows signed a 15 year agreement with the SANFL, they just can't walk away.

I look forward to Glenelg, North, West, Norwood, Sturt and the Eagles banding together to fight this.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby am Bays » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:52 am

DOC wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Them and the Crows signed a 15 year agreement with the SANFL, they just can't walk away.

I look forward to Glenelg, North, West, Norwood, Sturt and the Eagles banding together to fight this.
Attachments
32545F06-3D9D-488D-80BD-FF098B0ED9CE.jpeg
32545F06-3D9D-488D-80BD-FF098B0ED9CE.jpeg (91.22 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby nwdfanparade » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:47 am

I believe there is a clause that the AFL reserves teams can give a year's notice to quit the SANFL.

Also I believe that any contract can be deemed null and void by mutual consent of the parties involved.
nwdfanparade
Under 18s

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 145 times

Postby topshelf » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:09 pm

Random thoughts about the possible changes that could come up. Maybe 16 on the field instead of 18, back to three or two on the interchange bench. Smaller AFL squads is probably a given with the AFL reserves sides fold, SANFL reserves sides get scrapped, lower salary cap, womens leagues to take a step back. A lot still depends how long it takes to get this under control obviously. Still hopeful we will start to see football by late June. I wonder what would happen if we had it all under control in this state and had no new cases for weeks but other states are still weeks or even a month or two behind where we are, with the borders closed would we be able to go ahead and start the SANFL season while the AFL is not open for business. I'd be surprised if the AFL let us.
topshelf
Rookie

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby Doddy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:19 pm

Pretty sure we'd see first team Crows and Power players in their SANFL sides if that happened, to get a form headstart over their lagging AFL rivals.

And if it wasn't allowed by the rules, they'd be summarily waived.
Doddy
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL