Coronavirus (Covid19)

Anything!

Coronavirus (Covid19)

Postby Jim05 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:43 am

Booney wrote:Here's some food for thought.

Will the future see an Aussie built car once again?
Nope.
Everyone is doing their bit and being patriotic currently but when push comes to shove finance dictates what people are willing to pay and most people won’t pay 20-30% extra for an Australian made car.
With the ridiculous wages being paid it just isn’t viable
Last edited by Jim05 on Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19)

Postby Corona Man » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:44 am

Fantastic, I hope so. In fact I really hope this is a moment in time, where many industries consider where the get supply from. Lets bring back local manufacture wherever possible, sure it will cost a bit more. But then we are in control of the supply chain, not Beijing. Government needs to back the initiative.

Bugger them, I am never even buying take-away Chinese again. Fu*k 'em!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby DOC » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:46 am

Booney wrote:Tell them Detmold at Brompton will be making 145,000,000 in the next few months and 45,000,000 are staying in SA.

Great local story.

Sure is. Plus the booze makers now making hand sanitizer.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:49 am

amber_fluid wrote:

If it wasn’t viable pre covid19 why would it be post?

What’s changed that much to make it viable now?

A lot of Korean and Japanese cars on the market

Food for thought, our whole manufacturing sector is so reliant on our Chinese counterparts I just wonder if there's a future where Australia starts making our own products again, cars being one of them.

What might make it affordable is if trade restrictions are put on China, the world is angry with them, rightly so, who knows what we'll do to punish them. Well, the dickhead in America will do it and we'll have to follow.

A lot needs to happen to for this to occur, but I get the feeling a lot is going to happen.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:49 am

800FFBDF-D623-4598-B9C6-F42049ED77B7.jpeg
800FFBDF-D623-4598-B9C6-F42049ED77B7.jpeg (156.41 KiB) Viewed 700 times
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby DOC » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:50 am

From National Geographic:

By Debra Adams Simmons, HISTORY Executive Editor

If history is an indicator, we are in this for the long haul. In spite of our most fervent wishes to get outside and enjoy the rites of spring—college graduations, Mother’s Day, youth sports—life is unlikely to return to normal anytime soon. The great influenza of 1918, considered the deadliest pandemic in modern history, offers a social distancing roadmap for tackling today’s COVID-19.

After Philadelphia detected its first case of flu in September 1918, leaders warned people about openly coughing and sneezing, but ten days later the city hosted a parade attended by 200,000 people. The number of influenza cases continued to mount, and two weeks after the first case there were 20,000 more. Several cities (St. Louis's Red Cross motor poll is shown above) responded quickly and decisively—and had a strikingly lower initial death rate.

As the world grinds to a halt in response to the coronavirus, scientists and historians are studying the 1918 outbreak, which killed 675,000 Americans and from 50 million to 100 million people worldwide, for clues to the most effective way to stop the pandemic.

St. Louis strictly communicated and enforced social distancing, giving it one of America’s lowest urban death rates when the outbreak, known as the great influenza, swept the nation (and the world). Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, and Columbus, Ohio, did the same thing—and had lower death rates the first few months.

But that’s not the takeaway—because St. Louis relaxed. It declared victory too soon.

ScreenShot20200328at11.42.26PM.png
ScreenShot20200328at11.42.26PM.png (23.45 KiB) Viewed 696 times

St. Louis deaths over time during the 1918 influenza
RILEY D. CHAMPINE, NG STAFF. SOURCE: MARKEL H, LIPMAN HB, NAVARRO JA, ET AL. NONPHARMACEUTICAL INTERVENTIONS IMPLEMENTED BY US CITIES DURING THE 1918-1919 INFLUENZA PANDEMIC. JAMA.
That second bump in this graphic above shows the influenza's tragic reoccurrence in St. Louis, writes Nat Geo’s Nina Strochlic. Death rates shot up, higher than before.

The lesson from history–don’t cave to a restless, pent-up, impatient populace; it could be fatal. Even as the beauty of spring comes into bloom, keep your distance!
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:52 am

Jim05 wrote:

Nope.
Everyone is doing their bit and being patriotic currently but when push comes to shove finance dictates what people are willing to pay and most people won’t pay 20-30% extra for an Australian made car.

Agreed, I'm only floating a hypothetical though.

But, the government is going to have to drive our economy through the roof and what better way than stopping/restricting cheap imports ( of all manner of things ) and manufacture them locally? A whole supply chain once again lives.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:55 am

Corona Man wrote:

So you are going to hurt Aussies to make a point to the Chinese? :lol:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:55 am

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

If it wasn’t viable pre covid19 why would it be post?

What’s changed that much to make it viable now?

A lot of Korean and Japanese cars on the market

Food for thought, our whole manufacturing sector is so reliant on our Chinese counterparts I just wonder if there's a future where Australia starts making our own products again, cars being one of them.

What might make it affordable is if trade restrictions are put on China, the world is angry with them, rightly so, who knows what we'll do to punish them. Well, the dickhead in America will do it and we'll have to follow.

A lot needs to happen to for this to occur, but I get the feeling a lot is going to happen.
Can’t see much changing.
They are months ahead of most countries in their recovery and production is gearing back towards 100% with some businesses over there going double time to pick up the slack. Many countries will be going to China for help in the immediate future.
Their demand for iron ore will be through the roof in the next 6-12 months and we stand to benefit from it the most.
Would be nice if he could scale back our reliance of China though
Jim05
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:56 am

DOC wrote:
Booney wrote:Tell them Detmold at Brompton will be making 145,000,000 in the next few months and 45,000,000 are staying in SA.

Great local story.

Sure is. Plus the booze makers now making hand sanitizer.

It doesn't go half as nicely on ice as a single malt though...
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Trader » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:58 am

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Nope.

But, the government is going to have to drive our economy through the roof and what better way than stopping/restricting cheap imports ( of all manner of things ) and manufacture them locally? A whole supply chain once again lives.

Manufacturing will be dead again in 5 years time.

Agreed the government will need to throw money at things to revive the economy, but throwing it at outdated ideas is a terrible move.

Throw the money at the next thing, that isn't economically viable, but will be in the future. Not only do you get the boost to the economy you need now, but it puts you ahead of the curve in that emerging industry.

What is that next industry? Who knows.
Perhaps investing in the technology associated with driver-less vehicles undertaking home deliveries from internet orders?
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Pseudo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:58 am

Dutchy wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

Perhaps he gets UberEats delivered from Shenzhen?
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:59 am

Jim05 wrote:Can’t see much changing.
They are months ahead of most countries in their recovery and production is gearing back towards 100% with some businesses over there going double time to pick up the slack. Many countries will be going to China for help in the immediate future.
Their demand for iron ore will be through the roof in the next 6-12 months and we stand to benefit from it the most.

I do not buy this for one minute. I think anyone who does it kidding themselves.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:59 am

Pseudo wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

The poached bat is great.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:59 am

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Nope.

True but car manufacturing is just too costly in Australia. No one wants to pay top dollar for the garbage Holden and Ford were producing
Jim05
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:00 am

IMO the government could do something really simple to assist the mental health of people for the next month and thats extend daylight savings for another month. I know Im enjoying the hour after dinner, whether it be a walk, ride or kick of the footy with the kids or just muck around in the garden. This helps me massively with what is going on after a tough day at work. I know that will make the mornings darker for longer but give me the daylight at the end of the day every time.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:01 am

Booney wrote:
Pseudo wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

The poached bat is great.

Sweet n Sour Sasquatch
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:01 am

Dutchy wrote:IMO the government could do something really simple to assist the mental health of people for the next month and thats extend daylight savings for another month. I know Im enjoying the hour after dinner, whether it be a walk, ride or kick of the footy with the kids or just muck around in the garden. This helps me massively with what is going on after a tough day at work. I know that will make the mornings darker for longer but give me the daylight at the end of the day every time.

I'm finding motivation very low, being dark still at 7am isn't helping.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Q. » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:04 am

Trader wrote:
Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Nope.

Manufacturing will be dead again in 5 years time.

Agreed the government will need to throw money at things to revive the economy, but throwing it at outdated ideas is a terrible move.

Throw the money at the next thing, that isn't economically viable, but will be in the future. Not only do you get the boost to the economy you need now, but it puts you ahead of the curve in that emerging industry.

What is that next industry? Who knows.
Perhaps investing in the technology associated with driver-less vehicles undertaking home deliveries from internet orders?

We do know:

ACCIONA to build a 1,026 MW Wind Farm in Queensland

Up to 400 jobs will be generated over the life of the project, providing regional Queensland communities with a significant economic boost. Local spend during construction is expected to exceed AU$500 million.

Through bespoke community engagement strategies, ACCIONA will establish a Community Enhancement Program to channel financial assistance to community groups and local schools.

The creation of a Community Scholarship Program will also provide financial support for college and TAFE students.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Jim05 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:05 am

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Can’t see much changing.

I do not buy this for one minute. I think anyone who does it kidding themselves.
I’m talking about their production recovery. I don’t believe that they slowed the virus or have it anywhere near under control but they have returned to work in droves in Hubei and many factories are up and running. Shops are all open, restaurants are open and things have got back to some sense of normality. Wuhan comes out of lockdown next week and the factories will be back to normal soon enough. The government has put their economy over lives and will just continue on
Jim05
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion