AFL Round 2

Talk on the national game

Round 2 - Who, What, Where, When... If?

Postby Corona Man » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:00 am

About all we know so far.

C. Virus - 3 votes.

What chance 2020 season is done?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Re: Round 2 - Who, What, Where, When... If?

Postby LMA » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:45 am

You should add a poll, I'm tipping a July 16 start behind closed doors.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:50 am

LMA wrote:You should add a poll, I'm tipping a July 16 start behind closed doors.

No chance.Players will want 6 weeks to get up and going before the games start, that won't start until the government lift rules on gatherings.

Let's say August 1 they lift rules on gatherings, 6 weeks later we're mid September and about to play round 2 about 12-14 weeks from Xmas.

Even if they crammed three games per week with one mid week game + finals it wouldn't be done by Xmas.

If they're not training in groups by July 1 we're not playing.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:00 am

Booney wrote:
LMA wrote:You should add a poll, I'm tipping a July 16 start behind closed doors.

No chance.Players will want 6 weeks to get up and going before the games start, that won't start until the government lift rules on gatherings.

Let's say August 1 they lift rules on gatherings, 6 weeks later we're mid September and about to play round 2 about 12-14 weeks from Xmas.

Even if they crammed three games per week with one mid week game + finals it wouldn't be done by Xmas.

If they're not training in groups by July 1 we're not playing.

Agree. Put a line through this year.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby whufc » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:07 am

Yeah not happening this year, unless things move really quick which seems to go against all Scott Morrisons plans.

Bring on 2021.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:19 am

whufc wrote:Yeah not happening this year, unless things move really quick which seems to go against all Scott Morrisons plans.

Bring on 2021.

I'm hopeful that local SA comps might get underway but the Eastern states are going to take a lot longer time to reign this in, therefore there will be no interstate travel so no AFL this season.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:40 am

The AFL will be the only comp that plays this year.
They were able to keep going longer than most so it makes sense they will be able to return quicker than other areas.
I wonder if clubs have thought about infecting all their players with rona now? They could be up and running within a month to 6 weeks
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:44 am

daysofourlives wrote:The AFL will be the only comp that plays this year.
They were able to keep going longer than most so it makes sense they will be able to return quicker than other areas.
I wonder if clubs have thought about infecting all their players with rona now? They could be up and running within a month to 6 weeks

:shock:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:48 am

I think the NRL will go ahead. They need to play more than any other comp due to financial pressures. Their plan to play all their games for 6 months out of a remote mining village has some merits and with a bit more planning could be a very real option
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:30 pm

With Qld, NSW and Victoria holding 82% of the cases between them, there is no chance of them playing any sooner.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:31 pm

Jim05 wrote:
I think the NRL will go ahead. They need to play more than any other comp due to financial pressures. Their plan to play all their games for 6 months out of a remote mining village has some merits and with a bit more planning could be a very real option

That is a great initiative.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:42 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

That is a great initiative.
They have picked out a unused mining town in Queensland that is out in the middle of nowhere and has housing for over 2000 people. It has pools and gyms aswell as a large medical facility. They have already played a NRL trial game up there before and the NRL’s plan was to house all teams, broadcasters and staff up there for 6 months and play all the games cut off from the rest of the world. They are still investigating whether it’s possible or not
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby heater31 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:16 pm

daysofourlives wrote:I wonder if clubs have thought about infecting all their players with rona now? They could be up and running within a month to 6 weeks

Either you are Dr Helmut Marko or you work for Red Bull [emoji849]
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:24 pm

The whole AFL response to this crisis tells me there will be AFL footy this year by hook or by crook all based on the mighty $$$$$

To ensure Foxtel commitments are met as best they can, to generate income and to prevent loss of market share to NRL (As they are desperate to get up and going given there relatively parlous financial state compared to footy) the AFL competition will commence sometime before Sept, IMO.

It'll be behind closed doors, it will be played midweek, double headers will occur at grounds home and away will mean nothing, interchange benches will be increased to minimise the latent effect of fatigue and to allow mid week games, clubs will have as many rotations as they like. It will be "fixed" to make sure a season gets completed by Dec 31.

At the right time coterie groups and player families will be allowed in and maybe spectators by Nov/Dec but with restrictions. Once again all about the $$$

Expect training to commence in July and games to start mid Aug to early Sept.

Forget about SANFL and Community footy that wont happen as it is too difficult to police restrictions and the sharing of grounds with cricket come Oct.

Will take a major escalation of this Covid crisis in Australia to prevent it from happening. Preliminary data is showing the curve is starting to flatten with respect toc asses. The worst will be over by the end of May in Australia, allow June for the further reduction in risk and I see the processes being put in place come July to get the AFL season happening.

The latent deaths and community acquired cases in the wider community will impact the SANFL and other competitions in July-Aug and by Sept their will be no point.

All in my opinion of course.
Last edited by am Bays on Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:29 pm

Booney wrote:

Who let Danky get Daisys login details???

There is some merit in what he's saying clinically - expose them to the virus now, let them get over it and then they are good to go.

However the real risk is some AFL player will get a complication or require hospitalisation because of it being exposed to the virus (unlikey to get a death in that population with their level of fitness put it is a potential risk). The legal ramifications of an employer knowing infecting an employee with an infective agent are the stuff of a civil lawyers wet dreams...

Seven figure lawsuit coming up.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:37 pm

am Bays wrote:
Booney wrote:

There is some merit in what he's saying clinically - expose them to the virus now, let them get over it and then they are good to go.

However the real risk is some AFL player will get a complication or require hospitalisation because of it being exposed to the virus (unlikey to get a death in that population with their level of fitness put it is a potential risk). The legal ramifications of an employer knowing infecting an employee with an infective agent are the stuff of a civil lawyers wet dreams...

Its an interesting morale debate isnt it moreso in terms of general society.

I personally would be open to the idea of having a deliberately injected shot if that meant there was potentially we all get out of this mess quicker. If this was a way to ensure that would happen i would be happy to sign any 'waivers' etc.

Im 35 fairly fit with no medical history whatso ever.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:39 pm

whufc wrote:
am Bays wrote:
Booney wrote:

Its an interesting morale debate isnt it moreso in terms of general society.

I personally would be open to the idea of having a deliberately injected shot if that meant there was potentially we all get out of this mess quicker. If this was a way to ensure that would happen i would be happy to sign any 'waivers' etc.

Im 35 fairly fit with no medical history whatso ever.

There’s a big IF in there.............
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:42 pm

am Bays wrote:
Booney wrote:

Coupled with the information you may ( in some cases ) be able to contract the virus more than once the idea of a club deliberately infecting their most valuable asset isn't one worth giving consideration.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby am Bays » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:56 pm

Booney wrote:
am Bays wrote:Who let Danky get Daisys login details???

Coupled with the information you may ( in some cases ) be able to contract the virus more than once the idea of a club deliberately infecting their most valuable asset isn't one worth giving consideration.

Under the respective states health and Safety legislation, prosecution of Delegated Officers would also be a very real possibility, if they took up that option.

Wont happen
am Bays
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:18 pm

Really, you’d have to think until the new daily reported cases of CV (yes it’s the new abbreviation) are zero, there’s no footy. Going into flu season.... yibba da yibba da.... that’s all folks!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Next

Board index   Football  AFL