COVID-19

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: COVID-19

Postby tigerpie » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:49 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:We’re dreaming if we think the season will be played let’s be real. The government is not going to allow full contact social sports to begin any time soon. China shutdown parts of the country for Months and they still are getting cases pop up. All we are doing right now is Managing the virus so the Economy doesn’t completely blow up and sport is the last thing on the Governments list of importance.

Im not so sure.
The government knows that sport is a massive morale booster and we're sure gonna need some boosting if parents are locked up with kids, relationships will be in tatters in some cases, and we're all bored shitless.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:01 am

tigerpie wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:We’re dreaming if we think the season will be played let’s be real. The government is not going to allow full contact social sports to begin any time soon. China shutdown parts of the country for Months and they still are getting cases pop up. All we are doing right now is Managing the virus so the Economy doesn’t completely blow up and sport is the last thing on the Governments list of importance.

Im not so sure.
The government knows that sport is a massive morale booster and we're sure gonna need some boosting if parents are locked up with kids, relationships will be in tatters in some cases, and we're all bored shitless.

So is having a job, having a sustainable economy and a health care system that can cope with transmissible diseases. Whilst there continues to be spot fires community social sports especially with contact will suffer. So right now, community sport is the last thing on their minds until it comes back under complete control. Even so, it’s not as easy as bunkering down for 8-9 weeks and then we just turn the tap back on and run footy as it once was. If the virus is still present, your player numbers will decrease dramatically, clubs rely on cash from bar, canteen and social functions - Who is going to rock up to any of that until it’s completely under control or at very least medicine comes up with a viable solution?

I’m normally a glass half full person, but we need to be real also.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 739 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby The Big Shrek » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:16 pm

Got a phone call from John Kernahan the other day who was ringing around to see how people and clubs were travelling.

I thought it was really nice that he was taking the time to speak to people even though football is not on, and worthy of a mention on here. It must be tough for those at league HQ given they have had to let employees go and a facing real uncertainty as to their own future there.

As much as I like to join in a good internet whinge, what we usually complain about here is pretty minor. We forget how lucky we are to play in such a good competition.

At the age of 36 I'll be as excited as I've ever been when footy gets back up and running!
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:26 pm

Had a chat with John the other day as well.

They are doing it hard in there as are most of us with the uncertainty of when they as well as most of us will be coming back.

We might banter, sledge and whinge at each other but in times like these we need to keep an eye on each other and reach out to make sure we are all well so we can come back and do all that fun stuff all over again
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:11 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:Got a phone call from John Kernahan the other day who was ringing around to see how people and clubs were travelling.

I thought it was really nice that he was taking the time to speak to people even though football is not on, and worthy of a mention on here. It must be tough for those at league HQ given they have had to let employees go and a facing real uncertainty as to their own future there.

As much as I like to join in a good internet whinge, what we usually complain about here is pretty minor. We forget how lucky we are to play in such a good competition.

At the age of 36 I'll be as excited as I've ever been when footy gets back up and running!

Agree. The worst part of any employers job is to let people go under any circumstances. To let good people go under these circumstances would be gut wrenching.

Once we are back up and running again at any level I strongly suspect we’ll all have a greater appreciation of our game as a whole. If there is any positive out of this, there was a lot of debate on where the game overall was at and where it was heading. I think this “reboot” may change our values and I have no doubt after the dust settles the game will be different and I reckon it will be for the better.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 739 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby tigerpie » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:01 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:
The Big Shrek wrote:Got a phone call from John Kernahan the other day who was ringing around to see how people and clubs were travelling.

Agree. The worst part of any employers job is to let people go under any circumstances. To let good people go under these circumstances would be gut wrenching.

Once we are back up and running again at any level I strongly suspect we’ll all have a greater appreciation of our game as a whole. If there is any positive out of this, there was a lot of debate on where the game overall was at and where it was heading. I think this “reboot” may change our values and I have no doubt after the dust settles the game will be different and I reckon it will be for the better.

The game will be the same but the gravy train will be a lot smaller.
That could be some good that comes out of this mess.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Yank Man » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:10 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:

It certainly reinforces that sometimes you don’t actually know what you’ve got until you don’t have it. The many calls and social communication that I’ve had tells me lots of people, especially footy people, are doing it a bit tough mentally. You’ve just to be there for them and perhaps the thing that will come out of this is a greater understanding of how lucky we are to be involved in our great game. It will change going forward but for the better IMO.
Stay safe people.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 316 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Under_Scrutiny » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:59 am

Whispers about a very high ranking Div 1 team trained on Saturday morning. :evil:
Under_Scrutiny
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Dutchy » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:28 pm

You are very naive if you think training is not happening, albeit in small groups to comply with regulations. Out local oval was packed tonight.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby tigerpie » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:13 pm

Dutchy wrote:You are very naive if you think training is not happening, albeit in small groups to comply with regulations. Out local oval was packed tonight.

Yep had a few at mine as well. 10 up one end and lots of others walking dogs.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby scottroo » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:41 pm

They might be wasting their time.

Head says we don’t play, heart hopes we do.

Still two months until the proposed round one, I don’t think society will continue social distancing that whole time
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Q. » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:19 am

Under_Scrutiny wrote:Whispers about a very high ranking Div 1 team trained on Saturday morning. :evil:

Seems a bit early to be training for the 2021 season.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Love a rumour » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:41 pm

Not knowing when footy could return I’d like to see SAAFL give clubs a fresh start, return of clubs such as Salisbury west & any club that was on the brink of being booted.. this is a huge wake up call for everyone & there’s more to life then just footy so hopefully SAAFL can dish some chances out
Love a rumour
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby the smokey » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:03 pm

Love a rumour wrote:Not knowing when footy could return I’d like to see SAAFL give clubs a fresh start, return of clubs such as Salisbury west & any club that was on the brink of being booted.. this is a huge wake up call for everyone & there’s more to life then just footy so hopefully SAAFL can dish some chances out

---
Why would they do this? Some of these clubs have been given way more than one, two or three chances over many years.

Who's liable if they let some of these clubs back into the competition only for the same thing to happen again and again. I'm a believer that Salisbury West have had way too many opportunities presented to them and they can stay out for at least the next 5-10 years if not forever
the smokey
Rookie

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Love a rumour » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:55 pm

the smokey wrote:
Love a rumour wrote:Not knowing when footy could return I’d like to see SAAFL give clubs a fresh start, return of clubs such as Salisbury west & any club that was on the brink of being booted.. this is a huge wake up call for everyone & there’s more to life then just footy so hopefully SAAFL can dish some chances out

---
Why would they do this? Some of these clubs have been given way more than one, two or three chances over many years.

Who's liable if they let some of these clubs back into the competition only for the same thing to happen again and again. I'm a believer that Salisbury West have had way too many opportunities presented to them and they can stay out for at least the next 5-10 years if not forever

another bloke that just looks at bad.. the club doesn’t deserve to go down, theyve missed a final & a whole year stop being so negative it has huge impact on innocent people’s lives losing there beloved club
Love a rumour
Rookie

Postby Arry Gablett » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:26 pm

Despite all that is happening
rumour is a number of playing coaches in various leagues are still expecting full tote $ for the season
posting some running programs seems to be enough in their eyes
Arry Gablett
Under 16s

Been liked: 46 times

Postby the smokey » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:30 am

Love a rumour wrote:
the smokey wrote:

---

another bloke that just looks at bad.. the club doesn’t deserve to go down, theyve missed a final & a whole year stop being so negative it has huge impact on innocent people’s lives losing there beloved club

1. they deserved to miss a grand final -
2. They deserved to miss a whole year, given the serious nature of what occurred and that this wasn't their first indiscretion.
3. I understand that there are a lot of people who have given up their hard-earned time and money to help clubs like Salisbury West exist and continue to exist but surely there has to come a time where the league and other clubs alike need to say enough is enough. personally I wouldn't mind seeing them out of the comp for 5 years and then seeing if they can come back in and starting from the bottom with a different culture and environment around the club.
the smokey
Rookie

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Love a rumour » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:12 pm

the smokey wrote:
Love a rumour wrote:
the smokey wrote:

---

1. they deserved to miss a grand final -
2. They deserved to miss a whole year, given the serious nature of what occurred and that this wasn't their first indiscretion.
3. I understand that there are a lot of people who have given up their hard-earned time and money to help clubs like Salisbury West exist and continue to exist but surely there has to come a time where the league and other clubs alike need to say enough is enough. personally I wouldn't mind seeing them out of the comp for 5 years and then seeing if they can come back in and starting from the bottom with a different culture and environment around the club.

If you believe that’s possible you’re being unrealistic
Love a rumour
Rookie

Postby The Bedge » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:28 pm

There are a lot of good people around Westies - and unfortunately like most places, a lot of not so good.

I’d like to see them invest their energy into the juniors and build up their kids numbers before looking at senior footy again.

Personally I think they shot themselves in the foot when they attempted to re-affiliate by appointing Matty Leigh as their coach, especially after his recent seasons - it was just a case of “same old same old” from the outside, they really needed to find a coach who had no ties to the club, didn’t come from the area and had a good record of coaching. Someone the league could have faith would make the necessary moves to drive a change in culture.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:34 pm

The latest from the SANFL

Not much to tell, really.

27 April 2020

SANFL Community Football | Return to Play Update (as at 27 April 2020)

We recently provided an update about the work underway to determine a roadmap for a return to community footy.

Our intention was to provide a more detailed outline at the end this month, following the release of a roadmap for the return of AFL.

Whilst we all want clarity around when the game will return to our fields, this area of work is constantly changing. The announcement by the Prime Minister late last week that the National Cabinet will develop a guiding set of principles for sport at all levels reinforces the extensive work both the AFL and SANFL have been doing to refine our protocols and processes on how and when our seasons will commence.

Federal, State and Territory Governments have also indicated the possibility of easing of some restrictions by around mid-May, should the current low trend of transmission continue. In addition, the National Cabinet has indicated that they will review restrictions at a meeting on May 10, provided the curve is still flattening and testing rates are increasing.

As a result of these developments and reviews, the timetable we will now work to has been revised.

In the week beginning May 11, there will be an announcement from the AFL regarding the elite level with a proposed date for a resumption of training and return to play. An update around timings for a resumption of activity at Community and State League level will be provided once the roadmap for the AFL competition has been announced.

Until such time, the current postponement date for training and matches of May 31 remains the same.

Pleasingly, the Federal and South Australian Government are well aware that it will be vital for local sport to resume and re-connect support networks that are currently stretched or not operating.

We continue to focus on being aligned with the advice of the Government and the relevant medical authorities and are ensuring everything we do protects the health and safety of our participants and wider community.

We thank you for your patience and ongoing collaboration as the planning continues to evolve, and we look forward to being able to provide a more robust update to you following the planned elite game announcement in the second week of May.

In the meantime, we ask you continue the fantastic work and to keep footy alive in your households and communities.

Take care and stay safe.

Kind Regards,

Tom Hurley

Head of Community Football

SANFL
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League