Will still be a 10 team comp for the foreseeable future unfortunately
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re: SANFL Clubs

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:27 pm

Once again Booney attacks people for having a different opinion to him, he thinks he is the authority on everything that is discussed on this forum, its actually quite laughable that someone can be such an ignoramus to think that his is the only opinion that is correct.
Its quite alright for people to wish for a SANFL without the Magpies and Crows, You cant blame people for getting a little bit excited that it might actually happen due to the rona and we can return to a comp on a level playing field.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby LMA » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:45 am

Morning Ralph, will Sam be in today?
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:06 am

daysofourlives wrote:Once again Booney attacks people for having a different opinion to him, he thinks he is the authority on everything that is discussed on this forum, its actually quite laughable that someone can be such an ignoramus to think that his is the only opinion that is correct.
Its quite alright for people to wish for a SANFL without the Magpies and Crows, You cant blame people for getting a little bit excited that it might actually happen due to the rona and we can return to a comp on a level playing field.

On any topic in any part of life I'm willing to change my opinion or be educated by an evidence based argument by people whose opinion I respect. If I don't respect you it's unlikely I'll respect your opinion, pretty simple.

Actually, little mate, I think regardless of your stance on the AFL reserves gaining delight from the demise of something people covet is pretty ordinary behaviour. Me, I couldn't hate Centrals anymore if I tried, not a chance, but I've thrown $20 into the melting pot as there's people I know who care deeply for the club and I'd hate for them to witness the demise of something they love, particularly under these circumstances. I've had Glenelg and West Adelaide memberships in the past for the same reason.

So if you're saying that I think my opinion is right and UK/yours is wrong then absolutely, I think you're wrong here and not just because it's my club.

Enjoy your day, stay safe.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby RB » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:45 am

Booney wrote:I think regardless of your stance on the AFL reserves gaining delight from the demise of something people covet is pretty ordinary behaviour.

Who the heck covets them?

Magpies crowds have halved since they became the reserves, while at the same time they've made three grand finals, in contrast to their missing the finals most of the time between 2000-2013.

I don't doubt your devotion Booney but you're in a very small group.

Anyway I seem to recall the SANFL had to talk them into keeping the Magpies when the Power franchise was set up. It's pretty clear the Power would be happy for an excuse to get rid of them. (Although I think our celebrations are premature, as much as I'd like it to be true.)

Also the quote of yours I highlighted is a straw man argument. The vast majority of us want to see the reserves gone. Apart from UKF, delight in potentially seeing the Magpies go is only because it'll mean no reserves (assuming the Ravens get the arse). And I think you know that.

Our hatred for the reserves infiltration runs many orders of magnitude deeper than our dislike of Port and I for one would have no problem with a standalone Magpies returning à la 1997-2013.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:53 am

RB wrote:
Booney wrote:I think regardless of your stance on the AFL reserves gaining delight from the demise of something people covet is pretty ordinary behaviour.

I don't doubt your devotion Booney but you're in a very small group.

Reserves issue aside, on that premise you're ok with West and South being killed off? There's not many of you, bad luck.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:55 am

RB wrote:

Anyway I seem to recall the SANFL had to talk them into keeping the Magpies when the Power franchise was set up. .

I think it's been mentioned that it was a clause in the SANFL commissions decision to give the PAFC the second AFL licence that the club keep a presence in the SANFL but not be in anyway aligned with the Port Adelaide Football Club's AFL arm.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:57 am

Booney wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Once again Booney attacks people for having a different opinion to him, he thinks he is the authority on everything that is discussed on this forum, its actually quite laughable that someone can be such an ignoramus to think that his is the only opinion that is correct.

On any topic in any part of life I'm willing to change my opinion or be educated by an evidence based argument by people whose opinion I respect. If I don't respect you it's unlikely I'll respect your opinion, pretty simple.

Actually, little mate, I think regardless of your stance on the AFL reserves gaining delight from the demise of something people covet is pretty ordinary behaviour. Me, I couldn't hate Centrals anymore if I tried, not a chance, but I've thrown $20 into the melting pot as there's people I know who care deeply for the club and I'd hate for them to witness the demise of something they love, particularly under these circumstances. I've had Glenelg and West Adelaide memberships in the past for the same reason.

So if you're saying that I think my opinion is right and UK/yours is wrong then absolutely, I think you're wrong here and not just because it's my club.

Enjoy your day, stay safe.
You are one of the very rare bunch of Port supporters who understand the history of the SANFL.
Most Port fans would be very happy to see the total destruction of the SANFL and still lay blame on the SANFL for their dire finances
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:59 am

Booney wrote:
RB wrote:

Anyway I seem to recall the SANFL had to talk them into keeping the Magpies when the Power franchise was set up. .

I think it's been mentioned that it was a clause in the SANFL commissions decision to give the PAFC the second AFL licence that the club keep a presence in the SANFL but not be in anyway aligned with the Port Adelaide Football Club's AFL arm.
Which I still maintain was weak at the time by the SANFL.
No problem with Port going to a bigger and better league but that should have been the end of them in the SANFL there and then. Terrible decision to keep Port in the SANFL by all involved
Jim05
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:00 am

Having the AFL reserves sides in the SANFL has done very little for their actual AFL sides.
Both AFL sides missing finals regularly since then.
Wasn’t that initially suppose to be their biggest gain?

I’d like to see the Port Magpies revert back to a standalone team once again.

The Power can disperse their players elsewhere.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2512 times

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:02 am

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:
RB wrote:

No problem with Port going to a bigger and better league but that should have been the end of them in the SANFL there and then. Terrible decision to keep Port in the SANFL by all involved

It's certainly what the PAFC thought was happening.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:07 am

Is it true that SANFL players have already been told there won't be SANFL reserves next year?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:13 am

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:
RB wrote:[quote="Booney"]I think regardless of your stance on the AFL reserves gaining delight from the demise of something people covet is pretty ordinary behaviour.

It's certainly what the PAFC thought was happening.[/quote]Hindsight is a wonderful thing hey but at the time many predicted that it would cause dramas and an identity crisis and that’s exactly what it’s done.
Would have been so much easier with a clean break
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:18 am

FlyingHigh wrote:Is it true that SANFL players have already been told there won't be SANFL reserves next year?
That is my understanding.
I’m actually staggered it’s lasted so long, really a waste of clubs resources.
Much better to just play the U18’s with say 6 overage spots for the quality footballers coming back from injury or on the fringe. The rest go back to their community club.
I know there have been the odd exception but by in large anyone who has played over 50 Reserves games is not going to make it in the SANFL
Jim05
Coach

Postby LMA » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:28 am

amber_fluid wrote:Having the AFL reserves sides in the SANFL has done very little for their actual AFL sides.

Pretty sure it was more about control and development of players. Keeping them together was the logical step.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:30 am

LMA wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Having the AFL reserves sides in the SANFL has done very little for their actual AFL sides.

Pretty sure it was more about control and development of players. Keeping them together was the logical step.

At the expense of winning premierships?
Got it now.

They’ve both gone backwards........
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2512 times

Postby JK » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:36 am

Jim05 wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:Is it true that SANFL players have already been told there won't be SANFL reserves next year?
That is my understanding.
I’m actually staggered it’s lasted so long, really a waste of clubs resources.
Much better to just play the U18’s with say 6 overage spots for the quality footballers coming back from injury or on the fringe. The rest go back to their community club.
I know there have been the odd exception but by in large anyone who has played over 50 Reserves games is not going to make it in the SANFL

Think once the womens footy commenced it was always the beginning of the end for the Magoos
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4457 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Jim05 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:36 am

amber_fluid wrote:
LMA wrote:

At the expense of winning premierships?
Got it now.
I don’t think there is conclusive evidence that either model leads to winning flags.
Jim05
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:11 am

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

It's certainly what the PAFC thought was happening.

Are we still crying about that, it was 25 years ago ffs. Of course sanfl would want to keep the most successful club and reigning premier in the comp. can I ask honestly which idiot thought otherwise ?? If you didn’t like the entry conditions don’t sign off on them simple.

Port fans seem obsessed with blaming sanfl for their clubs recent ineptness imho.

And if it was such a hideous mistake surely every port fan will be happy about the Maggies demise now. And you would seem hypocritical to look down on anyone happy with the news .

You finally get what you want.

Just don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out :-)
Last edited by UK Fan on Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby VALE PARK » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:13 am

Removing the reserves comp would see another nail in the SANFL coffin to me.
Watch the crowds,income, standard and members numbers fall further.
It will drive U16 and U18 school boys being selected.
(Playing against AFL standard players).
Some weaker clubs will load up on the above kids when they can’t make finals.
Ammos clubs will probably say no, especially with key contract players and toward their finals.
A slippery slope.
At the moment the AFL crowd need a reserves team, why not the SANFL?
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL