Coronavirus (Covid19)

Anything!

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19)

Postby Pag » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:24 am

The Bedge wrote:
Pag wrote:the kids sitting in my class aren't allowed to ask questions face-to-face and have to do it as if they are at home, like the rest of the students, as a practice run for Term 2..

How does that work? Do they message/email you questions? Surely they can still ask face-to-face questions - they'd ask questions at home still?

Yep the program allows them to send DMs to me, and I get back to them ASAP. They can ask questions to a parent at home but there's no guarantee parents will be able to help if they haven't been part of the learning prior or the structures and routines of that particular class. If the student wants me, that's how they have to go about it. At least until we've got some more training around direct video, but even that has its own challenges/risks with privacy, safety, access etc.

I will say that most of the parents who are at home with their kids have been great and sent me an email whenever they're stuck or need a hand themselves. It's refreshing to see after coming from an environment where that hasn't been the case, and unfortunately for a lot of students/schools, still won't be.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:26 am

There will be some kids who don't have access to a laptop/ipad/phone or even wifi, we just presume every house has this these days.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:29 am

Dutchy wrote:There will be some kids who don't have access to a laptop/ipad/phone or even wifi, we just presume every house has this these days.

There’s a kid in my sons class who doesn’t have access to a laptop or wifi.
I’m working with the school to get him one as I can’t see this kid go with out.

I just found out he has a sister as well who doesn’t have one either.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Pag » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:31 am

Jim05 wrote:
Pag wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:My son had 4 people in his class yesterday.
Normally a class of 21.

Daughter had 11 in her class.
Normally 26.

The school has sent out a survey asking who will be present at school in term 2 so they can facilitate some classes.

I'm down to 9 or 10 at school each day from a class of 30. This week is a trial run of online learning, the kids sitting in my class aren't allowed to ask questions face-to-face and have to do it as if they are at home, like the rest of the students, as a practice run for Term 2. All teaching content posted online for kids to access, however I'm self-teaching how to use the program and am looking forward to getting some proper training around this next week during Pupil Free Days.

I have five kids out of the 30 that haven't accessed any work during this time. Have no idea what they're doing at the minute.
From a teachers perspective is there a very real chance that we could end up with a heap of kids that need to repeat a year?
Just get the feeling that plenty of kids will get left behind

A lot will depend on the student/family. There are pros to not having 30 other people around you all day while trying to embed concepts, knowledge and skills. There are cons in that the teacher is not as accessible and the social aspect of being able to bounce ideas off others diminishes. It really does depend on the type of student a bit.

My gut is that if your child is self-motivated, engages with the set curriculum fully and has a routine/structure around it set by the family, they will probably be OK. Unfortunately, not every child falls into this category, especially with the first point. Bearing in mind I'm a teacher of Grade 6, my kids are starting to become independent learners. I think it's going to be much harder for those in Kindy/Reception/Year 1 where the social skills and basic building blocks of Literacy and Numeracy are so, so important to be taught explicitly.
Last edited by Pag on Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pag
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:31 am

Dutchy wrote:There will be some kids who don't have access to a laptop/ipad/phone or even wifi, we just presume every house has this these days.

Even if they have some of that, bigger families with 2-4 kids going to school may not have a laptop for each child, they may have limited data etc.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Bedge » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:32 am

I'm getting a little carried away with the home schooling - i'm setting homework for our kids as well. :lol:

Our day is pretty structured though, even Ollie who is 3 joins in and loves it.

7:00am - get up, get dressed, breakfast, brush hair/teeth etc.
8:15am - go outside, play, the older ones do a bit of skill work for cricket/netball/football as well.
9:00am - lesson 1 : have been doing Maths the last couple days because they seem more focussed straight up.
10:00am - recess outside with their snacks
10:30am - lesson 2
11:30am - lesson 3
12:30pm - lunch outside
13:30pm - lesson 4 (usually online learning)
14:30pm - lesson 5 (lately it's been their colouring in)
15:30pm - school finishes, pack up, go outside and play.
16:30pm - chores including packing/preparing lunch for next day like usual.

Then I give them a list of "homework" tasks based off areas they struggled during the day.

For PE I've been running structured training sessions I would for Blast Cricket or AUSKICK etc.. but also discovered a netball site that streams training sessions for those at home aimed for younger kids so have included that as well - set the TV up outside and streamed it and got them to follow along.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:35 am

Pag wrote:They can ask questions to a parent at home but there's no guarantee parents will be able to help if they haven't been part of the learning prior or the structures and routines of that particular class..

Got this yesterday, kids asked questions around Japanese - all I know of Japanese is Sushi!

Had to Google for 10min to do a crash course on WTF it was about.. :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Pag » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:35 am

And unfortunately, in a decent percentage of cases, these houses also have access to the extra newstart payments that will probably go into buying some additional drugs, alcohol or other extra curricular activities.
Pag
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:35 am

The Bedge wrote:I'm getting a little carried away with the home schooling - i'm setting homework for our kids as well. :lol:

8:15am - go outside, play, the older ones do a bit of skill work for cricket/netball/football as well.
9:00am - lesson 1 : have been doing Maths the last couple days because they seem more focussed straight up.

Then I give them a list of "homework" tasks based off areas they struggled during the day.

For PE I've been running structured training sessions I would for Blast Cricket or AUSKICK etc.. but also discovered a netball site that streams training sessions for those at home aimed for younger kids so have included that as well - set the TV up outside and streamed it and got them to follow along.

Have you had to give anyone detention yet?
I’m thinking of bringing back the cane in my household if they don’t behave ;)
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Pag » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:36 am

amber_fluid wrote:

Schools should be able to cater for this by sending work home on paper via the post. That's what we're doing at least.
Pag
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:38 am

amber_fluid wrote:Have you had to give anyone detention yet?

The 3yo has had time-out twice this week. :lol:

On the second occasion he informed me "School is poop!" :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:39 am

Pag wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Schools should be able to cater for this by sending work home on paper via the post. That's what we're doing at least.

Yeah mate the school has.
They’ve been great.

This kid misses out on a lot already so if I can help him out with my old laptop which I’ve cleaned up it’s the least I can do.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:45 am

amber_fluid wrote:
The Bedge wrote:I'm getting a little carried away with the home schooling - i'm setting homework for our kids as well. :lol:

Have you had to give anyone detention yet?

No. but the principal has lodged a sexual harassment case against the teacher, and he's facing disciplinary action for drinking in the workplace.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Pag » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:46 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Pag wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

They’ve been great.

This kid misses out on a lot already so if I can help him out with my old laptop which I’ve cleaned up it’s the least I can do.

Good work mate.

For context, this is what I sent my class at 8.30am this morning (and similar each morning this week). Gives them a guide to how they can run their day at home (how we're doing it at school) and what they should be covering:

Hi guys,

Welcome to Thursday. Only today and tomorrow left before your holidays officially start!

Today's plan:

Daily Multiples Practice
Fitness

Daily 5 Literacy- Word Work Etymology or Read-to-Self or Work on Writing Typing (if finished writing and rainbow editing)
Daily 5 Literacy - Word Work Etymology or Read-to-Self or Work on Writing Typing (if finished writing and rainbow editing)
Daily 5 Literacy - Word Work Etymology or Read-to-Self or Work on Writing Typing (if finished writing and rainbow editing)

Recess

Maths - Manga High/Study Ladder. Have a go at the tasks assigned, you should be having at least three attempts at both MangaHigh tasks around square numbers and should be getting through the 16 tasks set on Study Ladder by the end of the week. Well done to the people who have been doing this.
NIT Science - Mrs ****** to send you task via Dojo.

Lunch

Layered Curriculum - Task #6, it's due tomorrow, and is an important part of your Literacy grade! Well done to people who have sent me their rough copy so I could help with a bit of feedback to make the good copy as on the mark as possible. If finished Task #6 and it's handed up through the 'Assessment Task' on the right hand side of Daymap, take on some free choice tasks to get your points tally up.

A couple of notes to remember:

- I've reattached the Word Work Sheets and Work on Writing Prompt from Tuesday
- Remember, I can keep track of when you log in/how long you spend working/what activities you attempt through MangaHigh and Study Ladder. This is a really important way of embedding the concepts we've covered in class late this term.
- Layered Curriculum has been across the whole term, and you're still trying to get as many points as possible. I will cut off the LC marks at the end of NEXT week (even though it's technically holidays as of tomorrow), so you have today, tomorrow and until next Friday to hand me up tasks that you complete.
- Keep being kind to your parents!
- Have a great day, remember to send me a message through Daymap if you're stuck at any point and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Mr *****
Last edited by Pag on Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pag
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:47 am

Booney wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:I think India and Indonesia will go through the roof, once they actually start testing people.

Basically nothing out of Africa, what's going on there?

*edit*

It seems Africa has 5,999 confirmed cases, you'd think that will explode.

I wonder if we will ever know a pretty close approximate, especially from the countries above, as well as the dubious halt to China's numbers.
Apparently even in England the death toll only includes those who have died at a medical facility after testing positive. There could be people dying at home, probably more the elderly, who might have this but not get included in the figures.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:49 am

Pag wrote:

And unfortunately, in a decent percentage of cases, these houses also have access to the extra newstart payments that will probably go into buying some additional drugs, alcohol or other extra curricular activities.

This is the sad part about it all is that are very unlikely to be 'home schooled' even if they were provided with the right equipment etc.

Does a drug addicted parent have the skills or capabilities to teach.

Sadly all i can see happening with this the gap between the 'haves' and 'have nots' is only going to widen.

Kids who were born into nothing are going to have even less chance now.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby heater31 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:54 am

Pag wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Pag wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:[quote="Dutchy"]There will be some kids who don't have access to a laptop/ipad/phone or even wifi, we just presume every house has this these days.

They’ve been great.

Good work mate.

For context, this is what I sent my class at 8.30am this morning (and similar each morning this week). Gives them a guide to how they can run their day at home (how we're doing it at school) and what they should be covering:

Hi guys,

Welcome to Thursday. Only today and tomorrow left before your holidays officially start!

Today's plan:

Daily Multiples Practice
Fitness

Daily 5 Literacy- Word Work Etymology or Read-to-Self or Work on Writing Typing (if finished writing and rainbow editing)

Recess

Maths - Manga High/Study Ladder. Have a go at the tasks assigned, you should be having at least three attempts at both MangaHigh tasks around square numbers and should be getting through the 16 tasks set on Study Ladder by the end of the week. Well done to the people who have been doing this.

Lunch

Layered Curriculum - Task #6, it's due tomorrow, and is an important part of your Literacy grade! Well done to people who have sent me their rough copy so I could help with a bit of feedback to make the good copy as on the mark as possible. If finished Task #6 and it's handed up through the 'Assessment Task' on the right hand side of Daymap, take on some free choice tasks to get your points tally up.

- Remember, I can keep track of when you log in/how long you spend working/what activities you attempt through MangaHigh and Study Ladder. This is a really important way of embedding the concepts we've covered in class late this term.
- Layered Curriculum has been across the whole term, and you're still trying to get as many points as possible. I will cut off the LC marks at the end of NEXT week (even though it's technically holidays as of tomorrow), so you have today, tomorrow and until next Friday to hand me up tasks that you complete.
- Have a great day, remember to send me a message through Daymap if you're stuck at any point and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Mr *****
[/quote]What age group you have Pag???
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:58 am

heater31 wrote:What age group you have Pag???

Please refer to him by his official title - Mr ***** 8)
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Pag » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:59 am

heater31 wrote:
Pag wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Pag wrote:Schools should be able to cater for this by sending work home on paper via the post. That's what we're doing at least.

They’ve been great.

Good work mate.

Hi guys,

Today's plan:

Daily Multiples Practice
Fitness

Recess

Lunch

Mr *****
What age group you have Pag???

Grade 6 mate. 11/12 year olds.
Pag
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:02 pm

The Bedge wrote:
heater31 wrote:What age group you have Pag???

Please refer to him by his official title - Mr ***** 8)

Same name as some of my former teachers.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion