1982 preliminary final

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

1982 preliminary final

Postby back89 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:25 pm

I was not born in 1982 but I was wondering if that game was draw have I watched that game on YouTube a few times over the years bruce mcavaney say if that game was a draw it would gone to extra time I thought finals games back then if was a draw it would gone to a replay I would have thought
back89
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Re: 1982 preliminary final

Postby Spargo » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:02 am

@spell_check @mal @am Bays
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5456 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Magellan » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:34 am

Would’ve thought we had a replay rule back then, as the VFL did.

On a similar note, has the SANFL ever had a drawn final? I don’t think we have.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby beef » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:38 am

Magellan wrote:Would’ve thought we had a replay rule back then, as the VFL did.

Didnt centrals & Port go to extra time in 94 or 95? Rule prob would've been changed by then as NM/HAW played extra time in AFL final 93.
Think they changed it after WC/COLL draw in 90
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:42 am

beef wrote:
Magellan wrote:Would’ve thought we had a replay rule back then, as the VFL did.

Didnt centrals & Port go to extra time in 94 or 95? Rule prob would've been changed by then as NM/HAW played extra time in AFL final 93.
Think they changed it after WC/COLL draw in 90

Yes, I think you’re right beef, the 1990 qualifying final was the catalyst for the AFL to change the rule.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Magellan » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:58 am

No Centrals-Port draw int he mid-90s, beef. The 1996 second semi has a couple of points in it, though.

Had a deeper look back through some records - the 1933 first semi final between Norwood and North was a draw, Norwood won the replay by a point. Also a draw in the 1921 first semi (Norwood eventually beat Port), and interestingly the 1919 prelim and grand finals were also drawn (North beat Torrens and Sturt beat North in the respective replays).

https://australianfootball.com/leagues/every_final/SANFL/107/Premiership+season/3
Magellan
Coach

Postby gazzamagoo » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:35 am

Central v Port 1994 Qualifying final was even at the end of the game, so extra time was played & Port ended up winning by a couple of goals.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Magellan » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:45 am

gazzamagoo wrote:Central v Port 1994 Qualifying final was even at the end of the game, so extra time was played & Port ended up winning by a couple of goals.

There you go, I stand corrected. So by then we must've implemented the replay rule, and presumably not long after the AFL in 1990.
Magellan
Coach

Postby mal » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:17 am

1969 [It was a final 4 back then]
First Semi Final
WA 10-16
WT 11-10

This game was replayed the following week

The result of the replay
WA 13-11
WT 10-8

The AFL played their Grand Final on 27/9/1969
RI 12-13
CA 8-12

The SANFL Grand Final was played the following week 4/10/1969
ST 24-15
GL 13-16

There was a controversy in the SANFL G/F
Champion RI forward Royce Hart had played in the RI win
Because of a National Service loophole , Royce Hart played for GL in the SANFL Grand Final
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 891 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:25 am

mal wrote:There was a controversy in the SANFL G/F
Because of a National Service loophole , Royce Hart played for GL in the SANFL Grand Final

He was paid $2000 to play that day.
Sturt made sure he was knocked out (off the ball) early in the match. Despite being concussed he was one of Glenelg’s best players.

Spargo
Coach

Postby Magellan » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:33 am

Spargo wrote:

Sturt made sure he was knocked out (off the ball) early in the match. Despite being concussed he was one of Glenelg’s best players.

How did that loophole actually work? Seems bizarre that he could've played for Glenelg.

According to the RBA's inflation calculator, $2K in 1969 is about $24K in today's money.
Magellan
Coach

Postby DOC » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:50 am

If you were on service in a state other than your home state, then you could play without needing a clearance.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby robranisgod » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:04 am

DOC wrote:If you were on service in a state other than your home state, then you could play without needing a clearance.

Hence Sturt players B Miels, M Nunan and M Greenslade all played for Richmond, Nunan and Greenslade certainly played for Sturt in the same season.
L Skinner from Central had games for Fitzroy.
In the Second World War, Gil Langley, Jack Broadstock, Jack Oatey and briefly Colin Churchett played in the VFL whilst on Army duty and "Pop" Heal from West Perth played in a WAFL and VFL premiership in the same season.
Last edited by robranisgod on Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby robranisgod » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:09 am

Spargo wrote:

I saw the incident involving Hart and I certainly didn't think that it was deliberate. It was a footy collision that happened in most games in those days.
In fact the Sturt player who collided with Hart was Trevor Clarke who certainly wasn't the type of player to be involved in anything untoward.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby RB » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:40 am

Magellan wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:Central v Port 1994 Qualifying final was even at the end of the game, so extra time was played & Port ended up winning by a couple of goals.

There you go, I stand corrected. So by then we must've implemented the replay rule, and presumably not long after the AFL in 1990.
Not sure what the timeline was on implementing it, but I can tell you the AFL first used the extra time rule about an hour before the SANFL did.

North and Hawthorn played extra time at Waverley on 10 September 1994, the same day Port stole that match from Central in extra time, just when it seemed Central would finally break their finals losing streak.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:47 am

RB wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Not sure what the timeline was on implementing it, but I can tell you the AFL first used the extra time rule about an hour before the SANFL did.

North and Hawthorn played extra time at Waverley on 10 September 1994, the same day Port stole that match from Central in extra time, just when it seemed Central would finally break their finals losing streak.

We did the following weekend anyway, against Norwood.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby DOC » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:11 pm

robranisgod wrote:
DOC wrote:If you were on service in a state other than your home state, then you could play without needing a clearance.

Hence Sturt players B Miels, M Nunan and M Greenslade all played for Richmond, Nunan and Greenslade certainly played for Sturt in the same season.
In the Second World War, Gil Langley and Jack Oatey played in the VFL whilst on Army duty and "Pop" Heal from West Perth played in a WAFL and VFL premiership in the same season.

Any recollection if Rodney Pope played interstate? I know he missed 2 full seasons in 1966 and 1967. Still played over 300 games.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby robranisgod » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:30 pm

DOC wrote:
robranisgod wrote:

In the Second World War, Gil Langley and Jack Oatey played in the VFL whilst on Army duty and "Pop" Heal from West Perth played in a WAFL and VFL premiership in the same season.

Any recollection if Rodney Pope played interstate? I know he missed 2 full seasons in 1966 and 1967. Still played over 300 games.

No he didn't play either the VFL or WAFL during his National Service. He actually served in Vietnam. Great player, Pope. I always thought that he should have been All Australian at the 1969 Carnival rather than the other half back flanker.
I have often wondered whether he actually played 300 games or was credited with games for his war service. This actually happened with players who served in the Second World War but I don't know whether it happened with those who served in the Vietnam War.
Best and Fairest at West in1964 and 1968 and Best and Fairest at Norwood in 1976. Only a great player could be Best and Fairest at two clubs 12 years apart. Furthermore in 1968 West played Finals as did Norwood in 1976 so it wasn't as though he won B & Fs in weak teams.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby Spargo » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:54 pm

robranisgod wrote:
Spargo wrote:

I saw the incident involving Hart and I certainly didn't think that it was deliberate. It was a footy collision that happened in most games in those days.
In fact the Sturt player who collided with Hart was Trevor Clarke who certainly wasn't the type of player to be involved in anything untoward.

This goes against every opinion of the incident I’ve read & spoken about with numerous Glenelg people from the time & one big Sturt name whom I won’t divulge. “He had a target on his back” is the general consensus.

Spargo
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:16 pm

robranisgod wrote:
DOC wrote:
robranisgod wrote:

No he didn't play either the VFL or WAFL during his National Service. He actually served in Vietnam. Great player, Pope. I always thought that he should have been All Australian at the 1969 Carnival rather than the other half back flanker.
I have often wondered whether he actually played 300 games or was credited with games for his war service. This actually happened with players who served in the Second World War but I don't know whether it happened with those who served in the Vietnam War.
Best and Fairest at West in1964 and 1968 and Best and Fairest at Norwood in 1976. Only a great player could be Best and Fairest at two clubs 12 years apart. Furthermore in 1968 West played Finals as did Norwood in 1976 so it wasn't as though he won B & Fs in weak teams.

Pretty sure Popey also won the Seiko watch for Commentator appointed BOG in the 75' GF
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum