Anything!

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19)

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:42 pm

Trader wrote:
JK wrote:
LMA wrote:
JK wrote:
Staggered that people keep downplaying it

Don't be too staggered, it's effected HIS way of life.

Been dealing with this stuff a bit online today from some mates .. The fact we're doing OK in SA seems to trivialize the issue for many. I get the economic concerns for the future and dont dispute them, but for me it has to be people first.

Do you realise that with a failing economy you get more deaths right?
To say you're putting people first is false. You're voting to prevent covid deaths in the hope that we don't get unemployment deaths later on.

Not sure if you saw 60 minutes last night but they had a guy on there that explained it fairly well.

He gave the example of road deaths. You could set the death toll to zero if you changed the speed limit to 5km/hr, but we don't, we choose to allow some people to die for the benefit of reduction in transport times. The same goes for covid, we need to find an acceptable level of covid deaths and get on with it.

Some people don't like speaking about death, it's too confronting for them. Other people are able to compartmentalise it and make a rational decision.

100,000 people have died from covid world wide. In that same period, over 20million people have died.
100,000 sounds like a massive number, but in the context of 20 million, it's not that significant.

Finally someone else that gets it
And that 100,000 is very likely exaggerated and incorrect. Its a figure of people who died with Covid19 not because of covid19
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby JK » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:46 pm

Trader wrote:
JK wrote:
LMA wrote:
JK wrote:

Been dealing with this stuff a bit online today from some mates .. The fact we're doing OK in SA seems to trivialize the issue for many. I get the economic concerns for the future and dont dispute them, but for me it has to be people first.

To say you're putting people first is false. You're voting to prevent covid deaths in the hope that we don't get unemployment deaths later on.

Not sure if you saw 60 minutes last night but they had a guy on there that explained it fairly well.

He gave the example of road deaths. You could set the death toll to zero if you changed the speed limit to 5km/hr, but we don't, we choose to allow some people to die for the benefit of reduction in transport times. The same goes for covid, we need to find an acceptable level of covid deaths and get on with it.

Some people don't like speaking about death, it's too confronting for them. Other people are able to compartmentalise it and make a rational decision.

100,000 people have died from covid world wide. In that same period, over 20million people have died.
100,000 sounds like a massive number, but in the context of 20 million, it's not that significant.

Yes mate I do understand and whilst death is confronting it’s just as natural as birth so I get that too. 100,000 isn’t a lot in the scheme of things, but how many more would it be if there weren’t protective measures in place in most countries across the planet? No perfect solution available yet (ie, cure or vax), so whilst I worry about my children’s future with an enormous economic hole to fill, I still prefer the option that saves a massive number of lives in the here and now. Accept that others might not see it that way.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Trader » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:26 pm

tigerpie wrote:He gave the example of road deaths. You could set the death toll to zero if you changed the speed limit to 5km/hr, but we don't, we choose to allow some people to die for the benefit of reduction in transport times. The same goes for covid, we need to find an acceptable level of covid deaths and get on with it
That's a stupid comparison.
Not all road deaths are caused by speed. That's why they are called accidents.
We put seatbelts and now airbags in cars to make driving a lot safer with less deaths.
We are in iso for the same reason. Less deaths!

So what you are saying is 100000 people's lives mean nothing because its messing with your lifestyle?

Well champ its a choice, your mum or dad, sister or brother or your lifestyle.
I know what I'm choosing.

But if cars aren't driving above 5km/hr that accident won't kill anyone. if all cars are limited to 5km/hr there would be less deaths. It aint that hard.

No, i'm not saying 100,000 lives means nothing, I'm saying there is a trade off.
Of course if no one died that would be the best case, but saving 500,000 people from covid for a million to die from economic impacts is illogical.

As for your choice, the choice you are making is to ignore those that will die later on.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Trader » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:35 pm

JK wrote:
Trader wrote:
JK wrote:Been dealing with this stuff a bit online today from some mates .. The fact we're doing OK in SA seems to trivialize the issue for many. I get the economic concerns for the future and dont dispute them, but for me it has to be people first.

Yes mate I do understand and whilst death is confronting it’s just as natural as birth so I get that too. 100,000 isn’t a lot in the scheme of things, but how many more would it be if there weren’t protective measures in place in most countries across the planet? No perfect solution available yet (ie, cure or vax), so whilst I worry about my children’s future with an enormous economic hole to fill, I still prefer the option that saves a massive number of lives in the here and now. Accept that others might not see it that way.

Good response.

Only clarification from me would be I am not pushing for no restrictions (I'm not pushing for anything either, simply discussing options). Rather, I am questioning if the current restrictions are too harsh.

All along we've been told we need to flatten the curve to ensure we don't overwhelm the health system, this i am comfortable with and agree we should do.

The Aust goverment have stated they are increasing the number of ICU beds from 2000 to 7500, getting ready for a peak of 5500 covid-filled ICU beds.
That seems fair.
However, when you look at the stats, Australia wide, there are 82 people in ICU beds due to covid.

82 out of 5500. Less than 1.5%

Let me restate, I have no issues with flattening the curve to get it under 5500 ICU beds, however keeping it at 1.5% of capacity to me suggests we have tighten things up too much.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:41 pm

Looking at world statistics, here in Australia we are doing a good job. The worry for me is, flu season in the height of winter is yet to hit. I think we need to keep going through May, so we are even better placed in June, July & August to protect the vulnerable.

Without getting political I think both federal and state governments are doing a bloody good job. I live in Melbourne with a labour government (not my side of politics) but I have a new level of respect for Dan Andrews he has been damn good.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby tigerpie » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:05 pm

The absolute ignorance of some people just astounds me.
I hope they don't get it cause we're all screwed if they do.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby tigerpie » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:14 pm

Corona Man wrote:Looking at world statistics, here in Australia we are doing a good job. The worry for me is, flu season in the height of winter is yet to hit. I think we need to keep going through May, so we are even better placed in June, July & August to protect the vulnerable.

Without getting political I think both federal and state governments are doing a bloody good job. I live in Melbourne with a labour government (not my side of politics) but I have a new level of respect for Dan Andrews he has been damn good.

I'd agree with that.
Even though politics in this country is ordinary, everyone for once, is pulling in the same direction.
I'd hate to be an MP right now.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby LMA » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:25 pm

Trader wrote:
JK wrote:
LMA wrote:
JK wrote:

It's not that significant in the overall scheme of things but it's a total different ball game being a contagious disease. You only need to look to NYC to see what the influx of patients is doing to their health system. Let this thing run it's course without restrictions then the entire worlds health system will be put under extreme pressure and a lot more uneccessary unrelated deaths will ensue.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Pag » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:31 pm

MW wrote:I hit the toilet paper jackpot today. Went into my local Foodland to get some supplies and a dude was walking out with an 18 pack saluting the crowd like it was a trophy...so my first visit then was to the toilet paper aisle where there was one pack remaining. That wasn't even the good part...as I went to leave the aisle with my pack of 18, a girl working there came around the corner with a trolley full of 36 packs! With a family of 5 including one with an auto immune disease, it was like winning the lottery.

Half ya luck, I had to go to the Mawson Lakes Hotel and buy an industrial-size roll as we were almost at zero and I couldnt find any.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Q. » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:39 pm

Neighbour works at Bunno's - told me that on Saturday, about 75% of their stores nation-wide hit all-time sales records for a day trade.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:58 pm

Trader wrote:
JK wrote:
Trader wrote:
JK wrote:Been dealing with this stuff a bit online today from some mates .. The fact we're doing OK in SA seems to trivialize the issue for many. I get the economic concerns for the future and dont dispute them, but for me it has to be people first.

Good response.

Only clarification from me would be I am not pushing for no restrictions (I'm not pushing for anything either, simply discussing options). Rather, I am questioning if the current restrictions are too harsh.

All along we've been told we need to flatten the curve to ensure we don't overwhelm the health system, this i am comfortable with and agree we should do.

The Aust goverment have stated they are increasing the number of ICU beds from 2000 to 7500, getting ready for a peak of 5500 covid-filled ICU beds.
That seems fair.
However, when you look at the stats, Australia wide, there are 82 people in ICU beds due to covid.

82 out of 5500. Less than 1.5%

Let me restate, I have no issues with flattening the curve to get it under 5500 ICU beds, however keeping it at 1.5% of capacity to me suggests we have tighten things up too much.

That’s literally my point of view in a much better way then I could put it.

Especially hearing nurses are being stood down as well
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Q. » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:47 pm

Trader wrote:Do you realise that with a failing economy you get more deaths right?

There's no evidence being presented anywhere to substantiate this claim.

COVID-19 has now eclipsed Tuberculosis for the title of the world's most deadly infectious disease.
Q.
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:38 am

locky801 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Recovery figures are now smashing the new cases, if this keeps up then surely there is some light at the end of the tunnel in SA

Fantastic news however been very few tests (around 300) done over the long weekend so far

988 tests over the last 3 days for 3 new cases. 61 recoveries in the same time frame
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby football tragic » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:06 am

A lot of clubs will start ramping up their training during may for a June start.
there will be a 2020 season probably consisting of 12 rounds plus finals.
Economy and life will go on and yes that will mean the virus will infect more people over time.
football tragic
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Barossa District

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:11 am

Trader wrote:Do you realise that with a failing economy you get more deaths right?

60 Minutes. :lol:

There's evidence to suggest (World Health Organization) that COVID-19 deaths are around 3.4% of people infected.

Where's the evidence to suggest that unemployment accounts for more than 4% of those people dying?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Q. » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:21 am

football tragic wrote:A lot of clubs will start ramping up their training during may for a June start.
Economy and life will go on and yes that will mean the virus will infect more people over time.

Life will go on, unless you're dead from COVID-19
Q.
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:28 am

Pag wrote:
MW wrote:I hit the toilet paper jackpot today. Went into my local Foodland to get some supplies and a dude was walking out with an 18 pack saluting the crowd like it was a trophy...so my first visit then was to the toilet paper aisle where there was one pack remaining. That wasn't even the good part...as I went to leave the aisle with my pack of 18, a girl working there came around the corner with a trolley full of 36 packs! With a family of 5 including one with an auto immune disease, it was like winning the lottery.

Half ya luck, I had to go to the Mawson Lakes Hotel and buy an industrial-size roll as we were almost at zero and I couldnt find any.

I got hold of a 20 pack yesterday if your stuck mate.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:29 am

football tragic wrote:A lot of clubs will start ramping up their training during may for a June start.

No chance unfortunately.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:30 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Pag wrote:

I got hold of a 20 pack yesterday if your stuck mate.

Someone being stuck because they've got no toilet paper conjures up some dreadful thoughts! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:38 am

Booney wrote:
Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:One of the barman at my local was on the Ruby Princess.

Yes, he's in the RAH.

ICU?

Unfortunately, yes.

Out of ICU and listed as stable no longer critical.

In some good news he's left the RAH and is in one of the COVID hotels in the city for 10 days. Two negative tests in a row and he can go home.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion