Coronavirus (Covid19)

Anything!

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19)

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:10 am

JK wrote:
whufc wrote:
JK wrote:Read an article yesterday from the Vic health official the government has been taking their advice from, and acting accordingly (ie, cancelling the Grand Prix). His take was that under the current plan of attack, no MCG gatherings or pub re-openings are likely to occur this year. The only caveat was that the government could change that plan of attack. Whilst the country maintains or even improves these numbers we get closer to an easing of restrictions, the ones most everyday folk look forward to (pubs, sporting venues etc) are probably still a fair while away was the impression.

Off course it is. That Vic Health offical becomes pretty irrelevant once this is all done and dusted. He would be loving it at the moment. ;)

Lol so you think he’s recommending measures (affecting everyone in his state and possibly many more throughout the country) to maintain his own relevance?

I dont even know who the bloke is so say it in jest but........ i honestly dont rule anything out in this day and age (eg i wouldn't be surprised if China had deliberately released the virus). I trust government officials as much as i trust politicians. The shitty world we currently live in everyone is out to look after themselves and everyone has self business interest first.

I think it would be extremely naive to not think somewhere in the line is people profiting significantly from all of this including what the virus has brought to their status, pay check, relevance, job security. Just as at the other end of the scale there is people who haven't had a job in years and now are given pretty much a full time job and dont even have to or cant even leave their house....their loving it.

I spend a lot of time around a medical practice and they are loving life at the moment and to be honest business is booming for them. Their hoping this drags out for another 12 months, they have the best of both worlds. Phone consults so no need to meet with patients. They can squeeze more appointments in so they are making more money than ever.
Last edited by whufc on Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby JK » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:16 am

As a rule I’m very dubious of people in prominent positions putting self interest first. But I have faith in the medical advisers who are potentially responsible for mass casualties, making calls that are in the best interest of the nations people (which includes their own loved ones). Beyond the health experts, decisions will need to be made by politicians who will need to weigh up the economic ramifications with best/worst health scenarios. I’m unusually comfortable through this that the people in positions of power are trying to act in a manner aimed at providing the greatest safety to the country’s People.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:22 am

JK wrote:As a rule I’m very dubious of people in prominent positions putting self interest first. But I have faith in the medical advisers who are potentially responsible for mass casualties, making calls that are in the best interest of the nations people (which includes their own loved ones). Beyond the health experts, decisions will need to be made by politicians who will need to weigh up the economic ramifications with best/worst health scenarios. I’m unusually comfortable through this that the people in positions of power are trying to act in a manner aimed at providing the greatest safety to the country’s People.

I'm happy to admit they have done a great job and tbh im proud to be an Australian with how we have dealt with this crisis.

I just also think the medical profession right from the top government officials to the local GP has a lot to gain on a personal level by this dragging out for 3,6,9, 12 months under the banner of 'community safety' which will not get questioned.

To put bluntly and fairly depressingly when i type it i just have a fairly low opinion of the current world we live in.

Isnt there a saying about War being good for business.
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:25 am

whufc wrote:
JK wrote:As a rule I’m very dubious of people in prominent positions putting self interest first. But I have faith in the medical advisers who are potentially responsible for mass casualties, making calls that are in the best interest of the nations people (which includes their own loved ones). Beyond the health experts, decisions will need to be made by politicians who will need to weigh up the economic ramifications with best/worst health scenarios. I’m unusually comfortable through this that the people in positions of power are trying to act in a manner aimed at providing the greatest safety to the country’s People.

I'm happy to admit they have done a great job and tbh im proud to be an Australian with how we have dealt with this crisis.

I just also think the medical profession right from the top government officials to the local GP has a lot to gain on a personal level by this dragging out for 3,6,9, 12 months under the banner of 'community safety' which will not get questioned.

To put bluntly and fairly depressingly when i type it i just have a fairly low opinion of the current world we live in.

You're suggesting doctors/health care professionals are using this pandemic as a way to pay off the mortgage faster?

F*ck me.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:27 am

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:

You're suggesting doctors/health care professionals are using this pandemic as a way to pay off the mortgage faster?

F*ck me.

Funny you say that, one doctor was bragging Friday night about how much he has paid of on his mortgage this year already thanks to the increased income he is receiving. He did say in 'jest' restrictions should last for about another 2.5 years which would work well for him.

I'm not saying their 'using it' but there are lots of people out there significantly benefiting from this pandemic....yes absolutely.
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:31 am

whufc wrote:Funny you say that, one doctor was bragging Friday night about how much he has paid of on his mortgage this year already thanks to the increased income he is receiving.

I'm not saying their 'using it' but there are lots of people out there significantly benefiting from this pandemic....yes absolutely.

People who devote their life to making people better bragging about the income a pandemic has created. I call bullshit.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:32 am

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:Funny you say that, one doctor was bragging Friday night about how much he has paid of on his mortgage this year already thanks to the increased income he is receiving.

People who devote their life to making people better bragging about the income a pandemic has created. I call bullshit.

Ok then. Like your over inflated US cases figures you have been sprouting so that 'you're right'
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:38 am

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:

Ok then. Like your over inflated US cases figures you have been sprouting so that 'you're right'

Yes mate, I'm loving the numbers of deaths, just wish I was making more coin from it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:54 am

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:

Yes mate, I'm loving the numbers of deaths, just wish I was making more coin from it.

You do realise millions of businesses and individuals deliberately profit because of illness and death.
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:07 am

Yep.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:13 am

whufc wrote:

“I won't let you spoil my war for me. Destroys the weak, does it? Well, what does peace do for'em, huh? War feeds its people better.”

"Oh yes, to hear the big fellows talk, they ‘re fighting for their beliefs and so on, but if you look into it, you find they’re not that silly: they do want to make a profit on the deal. So you and I back them up! COOK”

- Bertolt Brecht, "Mother Courage and her Children".
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1559 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Magellan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:16 am

whufc wrote:You do realise millions of businesses and individuals deliberately profit because of illness and death.

So do funeral directors and tombstone engravers, so you should bung them into your conspiracy theory matrix.

I think you're presuming that people working in health sciences do their jobs for profit first, and whilst some make very good money from it, I don't believe that's the motivation for why the overwhelming majority do what they do. Look at the heath service people on the front line in places like New York or Spain, who literally risked their own life to help others. Their motivation is to help others, individually and as a community.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am

Pseudo wrote:
whufc wrote:Isnt there a saying about War being good for business.

“I won't let you spoil my war for me. Destroys the weak, does it? Well, what does peace do for'em, huh? War feeds its people better.”

"Oh yes, to hear the big fellows talk, they ‘re fighting for their beliefs and so on, but if you look into it, you find they’re not that silly: they do want to make a profit on the deal. So you and I back them up! COOK”

- Bertolt Brecht, "Mother Courage and her Children".

Au contraire...

"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:27 am

Magellan wrote:
whufc wrote:You do realise millions of businesses and individuals deliberately profit because of illness and death.

So do funeral directors and tombstone engravers, so you should bung them into your conspiracy theory matrix.

I think you're presuming that people working in health sciences do their jobs for profit first, and whilst some make very good money from it, I don't believe that's the motivation for why the overwhelming majority do what they do. Look at the heath service people on the front line in places like New York or Spain, who literally risked their own life to help others. Their motivation is to help others, individually and as a community.

Just like any workplace we all work in some (usually the better ones) do it because of passion and love whilst others do it because of the pay check. I work in Health and Fitness, I genuinely love seeing people make lifestyle changes and getting the most out of their lives. Do you think there is PT’s who just want to train and pick up hot chicks whilst earning $50 an hour, absolutely there is!

From my experience most doctors I’ve met are very comfortable with the concept of death. l’m very comfortable with the concept of death. Death is just as much part of life as living is. It’s better to have lived and died than not lived at all.

Maybe it’s my Irish father but we were always taught death was a chance to celebrate the life one lived not mourn the life they lost.

That probably explains why I’m comfortable paying $30k for a family holiday over doing the mature sensible then in buying a house.

Isn’t it somewhat weird that we get people posting daily death tolls on here yet we haven’t seen any one one comment on the 400,000 deaths yearly to Malaria. People compassion comes from a selfish point of view, if they feel threatened or scared it could happen to them all a sudden compassion rises. Once covid 19 is over I can guarantee we won’t seen people keeping count and posting their compassion for all those that die from the common flu around the world
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:11 pm

whufc wrote:Isn’t it somewhat weird that we get people posting daily death tolls on here yet we haven’t seen any one one comment on the 400,000 deaths yearly to Malaria. People compassion comes from a selfish point of view, if they feel threatened or scared it could happen to them all a sudden compassion rises. Once covid 19 is over I can guarantee we won’t seen people keeping count and posting their compassion for all those that die from the common flu around the world

With all due respect, I feel like we are a bit naïve and ignorant here in Australia - especially in SA - to just how serious this potentially could be (or could have been), because we haven't actually experienced it in its extremities.

We have (so far) dodged a bullet on impact, but you only need to see places like the US, Italy, Spain, France etc and see the devastating effect it's had.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4001 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:19 pm

Booney wrote:

I think it was more "highlighting" opposed to "bragging".

I read the same thing.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:20 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:Isn’t it somewhat weird that we get people posting daily death tolls on here yet we haven’t seen any one one comment on the 400,000 deaths yearly to Malaria. People compassion comes from a selfish point of view, if they feel threatened or scared it could happen to them all a sudden compassion rises. Once covid 19 is over I can guarantee we won’t seen people keeping count and posting their compassion for all those that die from the common flu around the world

With all due respect, I feel like we are a bit naïve and ignorant here in Australia - especially in SA - to just how serious this potentially could be (or could have been), because we haven't actually experienced it in its extremities.

We have (so far) dodged a bullet on impact, but you only need to see places like the US, Italy, Spain, France etc and see the devastating effect it's had.

Being in Radelaide does have it's advantages.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:38 pm

The Bedge wrote:

One big advantage to those countries, we are land locked so as soon as the country stopped admitting oversea people we were going to be fine.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Jim05 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:42 pm

Brodlach wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

One big advantage to those countries, we are land locked so as soon as the country stopped admitting oversea people we were going to be fine.
And we haven’t hit winter yet.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:43 pm

Not sure if this has come up. But with the flight now and tomorrow. Why not use the Atura hotel for those passengers?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11850 times
Been liked: 3601 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion