New Footy Season Format Options for 2020

Adelaide Footy League Talk

New Footy Season Format Options for 2020

Postby Whos ya daddy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:49 pm

I know the June 13 proposed start date is still 8 weeks away, however I don’t see the restrictions being lifted up to a level that allows up to 100 people to gather by that time.

I see restrictions more likely not being lifted until say July or August.

If this happens what are the options of salvaging some sort of meaningful footy season?

As Cricket, softball, tennis etc. all generally start in October we probably can’t do like the AFL and go up to December. I think our end date would have to be the October Long weekend.

Therefore if footy was to start in say August that gives us around 8 weeks to try and savage some sort of season.
One option could be to split each Div into 2 conferences of 5 teams so that you could play 4 games each and then have a finals season of say top team of each conf has a week off and 2nd of conf. A plays 3rd of conf. B and vice versa, winners play the top teams and then a GF. (7 weeks total)

Another option would be to create some sort of Tournament which could involve multiple Divs (e.g all 20 teams of Div 1 and Div 2) who are split into groups (say 5 teams each) for round robin games and then a knock out comp (similar to a World Cup format)

What are other people’s thoughts and options on new season formats? I think any footy (even if for only 2 months) is better than a cancelled season.
Whos ya daddy

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: New Footy Season Format Options for 2020

Postby scottroo » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:04 pm

I’m confident we will get the 9 home and away games in and if needed only two or maybe even one week of finals
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby The Big Shrek » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:45 pm

If we can't do 9 games plus finals then it should be a condensed finals series. If needs be just a GF. Could even do just a premier league style premiership with no finals.

I'm keen to just play exhibition matches if it comes down to it.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Postby locky801 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:55 pm

Whos ya daddy wrote:I know the June 13 proposed start date is still 8 weeks away, however I don’t see the restrictions being lifted up to a level that allows up to 100 people to gather by that time.

I see restrictions more likely not being lifted until say July or August.

More likely September however i see now NSW are lifting some restrictions
Last edited by locky801 on Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby jo172 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:55 pm

I suspect we might get a situation by following the QBD weekend where we'll be permitted to play, but not to congregate within the adjoining licensed facilities.

Relative to where we were a month ago I think it's far more likely we'll see footy this season.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:16 pm

jo172 wrote:I suspect we might get a situation by following the QBD weekend where we'll be permitted to play, but not to congregate within the adjoining licensed facilities.

Relative to where we were a month ago I think it's far more likely we'll see footy this season.

Mate, if they're going to let 44 blokes grapple each other for two hours, they are going to let them have a beer together afterwards.

With less than 10 new cases statewide in the past week and 82% recoveries we are in great steed to see things back normal sooner than the other states.

I think contact sports and the re-opening of licenced premises' will be the last ribbons to be cut though.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Q. » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:06 pm

jo172 wrote:I suspect we might get a situation by following the QBD weekend where we'll be permitted to play, but not to congregate within the adjoining licensed facilities.

This provides an unfair advantage to lifeless college clubs :lol:
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby jo172 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:43 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Mate, if they're going to let 44 blokes grapple each other for two hours, they are going to let them have a beer together afterwards.

It's the couple of hundred people gathering indoors at half time that I suspect will cause much more concern.

Also a need to treat these licensed facilities consistent with like facilities.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:49 pm

jo172 wrote:
It's the couple of hundred people gathering indoors at half time that I suspect will cause much more concern.

The clubs will need the doors open to cover their operating costs, it's all in or it's nothing.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Q. » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:06 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
jo172 wrote:

The clubs will need the doors open to cover their operating costs, it's all in or it's nothing.

Agree. Will be difficult paying league fees without the income, especially with many club sponsors not being in any position to make financial contributions.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby jo172 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:28 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
jo172 wrote:

There are conceivable work around like setting up temporary out-door bars/selling out of canteens that could feasibly overcome things like this I suspect.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Dutchy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:20 pm

For a 10 team comp you needs 11 Saturdays to play each other once and have a 1v4 / 2v3 Semi's into a GF scenario.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby JesseWhite » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:19 pm

I still find it hard to see going ahead. Essentially would need there to be 0 active cases in South Australia for a number of weeks to be some sort of possibility. Would only take one unknowingly infected person to play football and it would spread like wildfire.
JesseWhite
Rookie

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby Broken Down Hack » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:48 pm

With clubs being shut and no sponcership in many cases due to business being closed, clubs will be unable to afford to pay any coaches, players, umpires let along all ongoing costs.
I also wonder how many players will give the game away this year if having to work on w'ends to earn a living.
Surely there is no way clubs can pay what was originally offered.
Some clubs may struggle to fill two sides.
Broken Down Hack
Rookie

Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby locky801 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:17 am

jo172 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
jo172 wrote:

There are conceivable work around like setting up temporary out-door bars/selling out of canteens that could feasibly overcome things like this I suspect.

Story from mark ricciuto on MMM was that he had heard albeit unofficially that pubs and clubs will not be permitted to open until at least Sept 1st, guess he would have some idea owning a few establishments around the country
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:57 am

Seen media articles about the season getting underway at some stage. Common sense says that borders will need to be opened up prior to any social distancing measures being lifted to maximise the available domestic economy. It’s an enormous stretch to close the country borders off, but to close off domestic borders long term is just not viable at all. The talk of treating our State on its own allows us some additional freedoms currently that those interstate do not currently have, but to lift social distancing even if it’s limited to a community Sporting field is a completely different conversation. We’re going to have to open the borders up some time soon and manage the situation with strong enforcement of social distancing you’d think.

We are basing all this talk on best case scenario, which is fine but it needs some further perspective. 2 weeks ago everyone was applauding Singapore and South Korea on how they have handled this situation - They still are having flare ups of the virus! In fairness the density of their populations is far greater than Australia so they are more susceptible, but their restrictions also are far greater. We’re only going to have one shot to get this right when we lift restrictions and caution with social distancing would be the very last thing that is lifted.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:57 am

jo172 wrote:There are conceivable work around like setting up temporary out-door bars/selling out of canteens that could feasibly overcome things like this I suspect.

My experiences suggest that you'd make a third of your takings during the game and the remaining two thirds post game and into the evening, a win see's this figure vary.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:01 am

locky801 wrote:Story from mark ricciuto on MMM was that he had heard albeit unofficially that pubs and clubs will not be permitted to open until at least Sept 1st, guess he would have some idea owning a few establishments around the country

I think he'd have as much idea as the next punter, we're in never before seen territory and our immediate future is in the hands of politicians who work on the recommendations of their health ministers.

As a state, we were at 83% recovery yesterday, we tested nearly 1000 people and had no new cases, we're doing something right and the government would want us to be up and running again as soon as possible for the betterment of everyone's mental health and the economy.

They're just throwing darts at the moment IMO.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:04 am

The only downside to a belated season is that there will be some clubs drawing the short straw as far as home games, the only way to make it even is to have 9 teams per division or each team plays a game at a neutral venue, minor issue in the scheme of things but you can see keyboards rattling already when a new fixture is released......................if at all.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby zedman » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:07 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:The only downside to a belated season is that there will be some clubs drawing the short straw as far as home games, the only way to make it even is to have 9 teams per division or each team plays a game at a neutral venue, minor issue in the scheme of things but you can see keyboards rattling already when a new fixture is released......................if at all.

it is released mate..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1077 times
Been liked: 387 times

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League