Adelaide Crows 2020

Talk on the national game

Re: Adelaide Crows 2020

Postby Magellan » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:26 am

Spangas wrote:The fact we hold footballers up as role models leaves me dumbfounded.

Excellent point.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:28 am

bertiebeatle wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Does your boss fine you when you do something illegal such as being caught DUI?
This is a fine on top of what he will get from the courts, its a huge penalty compared to the rest of society. As for role model, what rubbish, only 4000 of the Crows fans would know who he is.

My boss wouldn't fine me, he would sack me though as i'm sure would be the case with a lot of other people

If it is specifically written into your work contract, then that is fair enough.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1210 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby MW » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:38 am

Magellan wrote:
Spangas wrote:The fact we hold footballers up as role models leaves me dumbfounded.

Excellent point.

Rubbish.
Anyone in sport that influence young people is by default a role model.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2601 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:10 am

MW wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Excellent point.

Rubbish.

How is a bloke that a majority of kids would not know a role model, he's in the 30-40 ranked on the list.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:16 am

MW wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Excellent point.

Rubbish.

Agreed.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7489 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:18 am

MW wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Excellent point.

Rubbish.

They get paid big bucks not to just play footy but to be ambassadors for their club and role models to the community, whether they like it or not.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2516 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:22 am

Footballers dont have to be footballers, then can bail out at anytime and drop back into the community and anonymity
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:22 am

So Joe Bloggs that gets taken pick 50 in the rookie draft is a role model, give me a spell.
Andrew Krakour, Marlion Pickett are role models?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby MW » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:25 am

daysofourlives wrote:So Joe Bloggs that gets taken pick 50 in the rookie draft is a role model, give me a spell.
Andrew Krakour, Marlion Pickett are role models?

They're supposed to be
Not a hard ask to obey the law when you're paid a ridiculous amount of money to keep fit and kick a footy
MW
Coach

Postby Magellan » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:32 am

MW wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Excellent point.

Rubbish.

Sure, footy players are role models 'by default' in today's society, as you say, given the extent that footy professionalism has developed over the last 25 or so years. There's no doubting that. It's part of the gig, the trade-off for high profiles and big dollars.

The real question (which I think Spangas was angling at) is whether they should be role models.
Last edited by Magellan on Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:34 am

Im not sure anyone can tell another human who their role models should or shouldn't be, its a personal choice.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Magellan » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:37 am

Dutchy wrote:Im not sure anyone can tell another human who their role models should or shouldn't be, its a personal choice.

True, but Australian society by and large has always had a healthy regard for those who excel at sport, and I think this feeds into why we are happy to hold footy players up as role models, or at least people that we can aspire to be like.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:52 am

It's not as if people appoint themselves as role models as such and in essence we all are. To our children, to our friends, we all have social responsibilities to uphold and the fact sports stars are in the public eye just exacerbates that responsibility. It's not something any of us in "normal" life can walk away from, nor can they. It is what it is.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7489 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Spangas » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:21 pm

Magellan wrote:
MW wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Excellent point.

Rubbish.

Sure, footy players are role models 'by default' in today's society, as you say, given the extent that footy professionalism has developed over the last 25 or so years. There's no doubting that. It's part of the gig, the trade-off for high profiles and big dollars.

The real question (which I think Spangas was angling at) is whether they should be role models.

Being in the public eye shouldn't automatically qualify somebody as a 'role model', especially a young adult. Just because society thinks they are one, or a kid looks up to them, doesn't make it so.
I apologise.
Spangas
Under 16s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 103 times

Postby bertiebeatle » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:07 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
bertiebeatle wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Does your boss fine you when you do something illegal such as being caught DUI?
This is a fine on top of what he will get from the courts, its a huge penalty compared to the rest of society. As for role model, what rubbish, only 4000 of the Crows fans would know who he is.

My boss wouldn't fine me, he would sack me though as i'm sure would be the case with a lot of other people

If it is specifically written into your work contract, then that is fair enough.

Yeah it is in mine that i need to hold a licence. I have the ability to do majority of work from but if I didn't have a licence I wouldn't be able to attend a lot of meetings that I do which would cause the company to likely employ another person due to us core guys in the business already having overflowing workloads
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:19 pm

Adelaide has made a further change to its football department as a result of the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

It is with disappointment the Club advises Assistant Coach Marty Mattner is leaving the Crows effectively immediately to pursue other opportunities.

Crows Head of Football Adam Kelly said football departments across the entire competition had to be re-shaped with a streamlined approach to resource allocation.

“Marty is a quality person who has achieved a great deal during the early years of his coaching career,” Kelly said.

“He has now been an assistant coach, as well as having done a development role, at two AFL clubs and he is a two-time SANFL premiership coach.

“Marty has a long association with us, starting out as a player and in recent times returning to coach our defenders, so his contribution has been significant and he will always be part of the Crows family.

“These are challenging times which have brought about unfortunate decisions.”

Development Coach Paul Thomas also departed the Club late last month.

Adelaide will finalise the make-up of its coaching structure prior to games resuming.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:54 pm

Dutchy wrote:Adelaide has made a further change to its football department as a result of the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

It is with disappointment the Club advises Assistant Coach Marty Mattner is leaving the Crows effectively immediately to pursue other opportunities.

Crows Head of Football Adam Kelly said football departments across the entire competition had to be re-shaped with a streamlined approach to resource allocation.

“Marty is a quality person who has achieved a great deal during the early years of his coaching career,” Kelly said.

“He has now been an assistant coach, as well as having done a development role, at two AFL clubs and he is a two-time SANFL premiership coach.

“Marty has a long association with us, starting out as a player and in recent times returning to coach our defenders, so his contribution has been significant and he will always be part of the Crows family.

“These are challenging times which have brought about unfortunate decisions.”

Development Coach Paul Thomas also departed the Club late last month.

Adelaide will finalise the make-up of its coaching structure prior to games resuming.

love to get him back to sydney...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2399 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:52 pm

Channel 7 reported Marty Mattner was axed to reduce costs but then says Brent Reilly will replace him?
Is Reilly working for free or did I miss something there?
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:08 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Channel 7 reported Marty Mattner was axed to reduce costs but then says Brent Reilly will replace him?

His position was made redundant. Reilly wouldn't be doing the same role
MW
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:13 pm

MW wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Channel 7 reported Marty Mattner was axed to reduce costs but then says Brent Reilly will replace him?

His position was made redundant. Reilly wouldn't be doing the same role

How is that cutting costs though?
amber_fluid
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL