SANFL Clubs

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL Clubs

Postby beef » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:42 am

IF players pay for free i think coaches will do the same (or on massively less money) do they need crowds? Can they afford to still play with no match day revenue if no players to pay. Maybe every member gets the digital pass for free so they can still watch
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 255 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:21 pm

beef wrote:IF players pay for free i think coaches will do the same (or on massively less money) do they need crowds? Can they afford to still play with no match day revenue if no players to pay. Maybe every member gets the digital pass for free so they can still watch

Saying they’ll play for free and actually doing it are 2 very different things.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Postby JK » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:34 pm

Haha .. With everyone feeling a bit more comfortable about the world and having genuine hope for footy resuming, it's like a drop of blood in the ocean and all the Great Whites are out and about. Brilliant!! :D :-BD
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Brett » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:18 pm

TDJ44 wrote:
Brett wrote:
TDJ44 wrote:
Brett wrote:The SANFL cant go ahead without crowds IMO

They need crowds to make money,the SANFL dont have a tv deal like the AFL.

:?:

Why so hard to understand with a ? Mark.
Agreeing with you and just adding that they don't have a tv deal like the AFL who can get by without crowds.

I read it as you were saying they didnt need crowds. Yes you are right , they need crowds.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby topshelf » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:05 pm

An article in the Advertiser is suggesting that we may have a new fixture as soon as next Monday. I could see us starting a lot earlier than the AFL with or without crowds, unless the AFL stops us somehow. We will have to sort out this AFL reserves situation fast if they're not going to field sides this season, a mini draft may be in order asap.
topshelf
Rookie

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby Brett » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:08 pm

topshelf wrote:An article in the Advertiser is suggesting that we may have a new fixture as soon as next Monday. I could see us starting a lot earlier than the AFL with or without crowds, unless the AFL stops us somehow. We will have to sort out this AFL reserves situation fast if they're not going to field sides this season, a mini draft may be in order asap.

Who wrote it ? Rucci? Media crap. No one knows at this point.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby topshelf » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:30 pm

Brett wrote:
topshelf wrote:An article in the Advertiser is suggesting that we may have a new fixture as soon as next Monday. I could see us starting a lot earlier than the AFL with or without crowds, unless the AFL stops us somehow. We will have to sort out this AFL reserves situation fast if they're not going to field sides this season, a mini draft may be in order asap.

Not sure, i can only see this -

"RETURN TO PLAY LOOMS FOR SANFL, AMMOS, HOCKEY
The SANFL is “hellbent” on playing this year and could outline a new fixture as early as next Monday, while the Adelaide Footy League and Hockey SA may also follow suit sooner than expected."

I agree it's too early to tell but all signs look pretty positive for footy in this state at the start of June atm.
topshelf
Rookie

Postby LMA » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:39 pm

topshelf wrote:
Brett wrote:

Not sure, i can only see this -

"RETURN TO PLAY LOOMS FOR SANFL, AMMOS, HOCKEY
The SANFL is “hellbent” on playing this year and could outline a new fixture as early as next Monday, while the Adelaide Footy League and Hockey SA may also follow suit sooner than expected."

I agree it's too early to tell but all signs look pretty positive for footy in this state at the start of June atm.

Could just be a case of having some rolling scenarios/fixtures so they can hit the ground running when the Govt. gives the nod.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby topshelf » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:50 pm

True, i really do wonder what could/will happen when we have no cases for weeks and weeks on end and our state government gives us the ok, will the AFL let us play earlier than them..
topshelf
Rookie

Postby DOC » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:30 pm

The SANFL is “hellbent’’ on playing this year and could outline a potential new fixture as early as next Monday.

While chief executive Jake Parkinson says he is increasingly confident that State League football will be played this season, he is hesitant to pinpoint a return date given the uncertainty surrounding COVID-19.

But with low infection rates in South Australia, Parkinson said he “holds some hope’’ that a season could get underway in the middle of the year, albeit initially without crowds.

The 2020 season was due to start on April 3 but has been postponed until at least May 31.

“The players are just hellbent on wanting to be able to play, we’ve held meetings with the coaches and captains and everyone just wants to get out on the ground,’’ Parkinson said.

“There are two key factors – that we return to play in a way which is safe for everyone and that we are putting nothing at jeopardy.

“The community has worked so hard to do everything right and no-one in our community wants to put any of that work in jeopardy, that is first and foremost in our mind.

“But we’re working towards providing a more detailed update on the season postponement date, for both matches and training, by the end of April.

“This will include what a season could look possibly look like for both State League and community football.’’

Parkinson said he had found himself being “caught up in thinking, ‘we’re going pretty well (infection-wise), we might not be too far away (from playing)’’.

But then the reality hit that there were still plenty of hurdles to jump.

“There are some things we have to be able to tick off to be able to get some footy away,’’ Parkinson said.

“The reality is that coming together in large groups to watch games of football is a little way away and the contact nature of our sport could well be a challenge.

“But at the same time it seems like Australia and South Australia, in particular, are doing everything possible to bring us back to some normality as soon as possible and with that I hold some hope.

“We’re working closely with the State and Federal Government, media advisers and the AFL’s chief medical officer to ensure we have the very latest advice and insight around when we may be able to utilise any future relaxed restrictions to return to play footy.

“We also continue to have daily video conferences with SANFL CEOs and last week met via a video conference with the coaches and captains of all eight SANFL clubs to discuss their thoughts on a modified season.

“We are working through what’s possible, exploring a range of modified fixtures and preparing modelling around innovative alternatives in our endeavours to get a season underway in 2020.”

Parkinson conceded if the SANFL does resume this year it would most likely be without crowds.

He said having spectators at games was not a deal-breaker, despite the league’s revenue drying up.

SANFL players have already said they will go without pay to get a shortened season up and running.

“We know we’re going to have to be very flexible in returning to playing football and a part of that may well be that we play games that don’t have spectators at them,’’ Parkinson told FIVEaa.

“But at the same time I like to think that if you put a football in the middle of an oval and there’s four sticks at either end and a few people with a whistle to be able to adjudicate then football will take place.

“It’s on that basis that we go to work and there will be some challenges with that, firstly from a health point of view and secondly making sure players are insured, but if we can play we’ll get out on the ground.’’
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2085 times

Postby DOC » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:34 pm

Brett wrote:

Andrew Capel wrote it. It is quoting the SANFL CEO so not really crap, more so aspirational.

Rucci is no longer on staff at the Advertiser. Submits articles etc as a freelance journo.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2085 times

Postby am Bays » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:07 am

Capel loves the SANFL, especially his Bays.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:59 pm

Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby locky801 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:28 pm

Whats the point if spectators cant attend
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3698 times
Been liked: 1165 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:27 am

locky801 wrote:Whats the point if spectators cant attend

SANFL are seeing this as an opportunity to get back before other major sports, and the opportunities that might come with that. Broadcasting would be an interesting conversation if SANFL starts playing a few weeks before AFL.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:43 am

Dutchy wrote:

SANFL are seeing this as an opportunity to get back before other major sports, and the opportunities that might come with that. Broadcasting would be an interesting conversation if SANFL starts playing a few weeks before AFL.

What opportunities?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:48 am

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

What opportunities?

sports-starved people will watch the SANFL because nothing else is on, might get some rejuvenated interest in the comp, or some new interest. There's the most obvious opportunity.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1660 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby topshelf » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:47 pm

The possibility of getting extra money from channel 7 to telecast games while the AFL isn't playing would be a key point i would've thought as Dutchy and gazzamagoo have mentioned. Still don't know how this is going to work with the AFL reserves sides this season, how do we manage them if we are a month ahead of the AFL. Can't have them fielding full strength sides in the SANFL in the meantime.
topshelf
Rookie

Postby Alex » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:38 pm

topshelf wrote:The possibility of getting extra money from channel 7 to telecast games while the AFL isn't playing would be a key point i would've thought as Dutchy and gazzamagoo have mentioned. Still don't know how this is going to work with the AFL reserves sides this season, how do we manage them if we are a month ahead of the AFL. Can't have them fielding full strength sides in the SANFL in the meantime.

Simple solution would be that if you played RD 1 for the AFL side then you can't be picked in SANFL team until the AFL resumes.
Alex

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby RB » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:16 pm

topshelf wrote:The possibility of getting extra money from channel 7 to telecast games

Extra money?

I thought the SANFL paid them to show it.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL