AFL 2020 Season

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL 2020 Season

Postby whufc » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:29 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
MW wrote:I wonder what the impact to pubs and clubs will be long term. I dare say there will be a % that realise their wasting $9-$10 on a pint vs $2 - $2.50 on an echo at home.

It's sinking in to me, easy to say while the pubs are closed though.

I think moderation will be my thing going forward whereas before it would get to 3:45 on a Wednesday arvo and I'd say to myself "F*** it, I'm going to the pub"

By not drinking or going out to dinner we saved $17k in 10 months before all this iso kicked off.

Obviously there is associated costs with those two things such as taxi to get home etc etc but it made such a massive difference to our bank account.

$17k in 10 months?

That's over $400 a week. :shock:

A Saturday night at the pub after rugby or cricket was comfortably a $200 night before we got a taxi from lyndoch to Kersbrook for rugby and sevenhill to Blyth for cricket

Throw in going out to dinner twice a week plus a couple of drinks after either rugby or cricket training

Keep in mind my misses is Irish so she can drink!!! Plus she is a get drunk so buy everyone in the bar a shot kind of operator

Throw in a few bottles of wine for the week, a lazy Sunday at a winery here in Clare and maybe a lazy breakfast at a cafe and the odd coffee. Adds up pretty quick.

We would have been spending $30-45 a week on coffeees easily.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:52 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
MW wrote:I wonder what the impact to pubs and clubs will be long term. I dare say there will be a % that realise their wasting $9-$10 on a pint vs $2 - $2.50 on an echo at home.

It's sinking in to me, easy to say while the pubs are closed though.

I think moderation will be my thing going forward whereas before it would get to 3:45 on a Wednesday arvo and I'd say to myself "F*** it, I'm going to the pub"

By not drinking or going out to dinner we saved $17k in 10 months before all this iso kicked off.

Obviously there is associated costs with those two things such as taxi to get home etc etc but it made such a massive difference to our bank account.

$17k in 10 months?

I'd spend close to that on piss and eating out each week.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby whufc » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:03 pm

Not hard done

Keep in mind my figure is total for 2 people so $200 each.

Sometimes we would easily spend that on a weekend by just being at the rugby all day (10 hour day) and then going to a pub in the evening.

Heaven forbid we went to town on a Saturday night, that would be the $400 gone right there.
whufc
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:06 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:It's sinking in to me, easy to say while the pubs are closed though.

$17k in 10 months?

I'd spend close to that on piss and eating out each week.

I spend that much when I’m on a budget!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:07 pm

whufc wrote:Not hard done

Keep in mind my figure is total for 2 people so $200 each.

Sometimes we would easily spend that on a weekend by just being at the rugby all day (10 hour day) and then going to a pub in the evening.

Heaven forbid we went to town on a Saturday night, that would be the $400 gone right there.

I’d be similar.
Hell you only live once!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:30 am

whufc wrote:
Keep in mind my misses is Irish so she can drink!!! Plus she is a get drunk so buy everyone in the bar a shot kind of operator

Throw in a few bottles of wine for the week, a lazy Sunday at a winery here in Clare and maybe a lazy breakfast at a cafe and the odd coffee. Adds up pretty quick.

We would have been spending $30-45 a week on coffeees easily.

"Argh, you must be Irish"

"Ya, I am, why is that?"

"Coz when I look at you my penis is Dublin"
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:06 am

Not saying $400 a week is a lot (I drop $100+ when I go to Adelaide Oval for the footy on top of the rest of my week) I'm saying if you do it every week for 10 months it is!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:29 am

Booney wrote:Not saying $400 a week is a lot (I drop $100+ when I go to Adelaide Oval for the footy on top of the rest of my week) I'm saying if you do it every week for 10 months it is!

In Winter we are at the rugby from 10am through to bare minimum 6pm as the misses is the sports trainer for all the teams from juniors to seniors (same set up as country football), the father in law is the a grade coach and refs and the juniors games before hand and i play a mixture of A's and B's so we are there the whole day, we are lazy so dont take our own drinks or anything like that. Then Sunday is 'our' day go out and relax together. I would think on a weekend the only meal we would eat at home is the Sunday night dinner.

Come Summer and its cricket, i help out with one of the junior sides up in here in Clare and play seniors in the afternoon so once again Saturday is all day at cricket followed by standard cricket drinks with the lads.

Also have my two daughters every second weekend so even if we dont go out we still normally hang around the rugby club to 7,8,9pm. Massive family environment which means we have bought lunch and dinner out for the family.

Throw in the odd event like B&F nights, birthday parties, engagements, work functions, west ham supporter meets, the odd SANFL game etc the money starts to add up real quick.
whufc
Coach

Postby Spargo » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:51 am

whufc wrote:west ham supporter meets

That’d be a cheap round...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5459 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:53 am

Spargo wrote:
whufc wrote:west ham supporter meets

That’d be a cheap round...

Sadly not, for a shit club west ham has a massive following. Probably the biggest outside the big clubs.

To make it even worse West Ham fans are the most realistic on the planet, we know we are shit so we are just there for the ride and the alcohol. Big big big drinking events them ones we have normally lost the game half an hour in and have nothing but drinking to do.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:55 am

So when will the AFL announce there dates start day pretty much the same as the NRL.

Absolutely no chance the AFL would give the NRL a 'leg up' not find a way to get games on TV screens.
whufc
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:03 am

whufc wrote:So when will the AFL announce there dates start day pretty much the same as the NRL.

Absolutely no chance the AFL would give the NRL a 'leg up' not find a way to get games on TV screens.
AFL has continually said that clubs and players will need 1 months notice to prepare so they would have to announce it this weekend. NRL is starting training and will start on May 28th.
I don’t think we will see AFL until mid June at earliest
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dutchy » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:05 am

ARL have announced NSW community rugby, including juniors, to commence mid July
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:08 am

Jim05 wrote:
whufc wrote:So when will the AFL announce there dates start day pretty much the same as the NRL.

AFL has continually said that clubs and players will need 1 months notice to prepare so they would have to announce it this weekend. NRL is starting training and will start on May 28th.

Yeah nah, now that the NRL are planned on being up and running the whole ball games has changed.

At most the AFL will give the NRL a one to two week leg up but that is it. AFL the business will not risk anything at the expense of the NRL.
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:11 am

whufc wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Yeah nah, now that the NRL are planned on being up and running the whole ball games has changed.

At most the AFL will give the NRL a one to two week leg up but that is it. AFL the business will not risk anything at the expense of the NRL.

The Port players who went home in the shutdown have been told to be back in Adelaide May 10th.

At best they then isolate for 14 days. May 24th. The AFL will not be playing until July.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:14 am

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

The Port players who went home in the shutdown have been told to be back in Adelaide May 10th.

At best they then isolate for 14 days. May 24th. The AFL will not be playing until July.

The date to return could be changed tomorrow if the clubs and the AFL wanted to. Stand down laws allow the business to reemploy withing in 24 hours.

The NRL officially having a start date has changed the game completely.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:17 am

Games coming back early means more money in the pockets of the players.

Watch how magically they dont require a whole month as they are just itching to get back out there and they have been able to maintain a reasonable level of fitness from home.
whufc
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:31 am

This would only ever apply in NSW and QLD. I doubt an AFL fan from anywhere else in Australia would change codes just because Rugby League is on TV and the AFL isn't. I would still prefer watching old games of footy rather than live Rugby League.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:41 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:

This would only ever apply in NSW and QLD. I doubt an AFL fan from anywhere else in Australia would change codes just because Rugby League is on TV and the AFL isn't. I would still prefer watching old games of footy rather than live Rugby League.

agree with this comment. I only ever watch Eels games and the likelihood I'd watch Penrith vs Canberra is very very slight indeed, despite it being live.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:41 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:

The exact market the AFL has been trying to crack for how long now!!

Geez they are having to fund two entire franchises to crack the market, you think their going to lose any gains they've made over a start date.

They will find a way to have some games playing within a week or two at most of that start date. Even if it means split rounds to start with.
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL