AFL 2020 Season

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL 2020 Season

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:47 am

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
whufc wrote:So when will the AFL announce there dates start day pretty much the same as the NRL.

Absolutely no chance the AFL would give the NRL a 'leg up' not find a way to get games on TV screens.
AFL has continually said that clubs and players will need 1 months notice to prepare so they would have to announce it this weekend. NRL is starting training and will start on May 28th.
I don’t think we will see AFL until mid June at earliest

Yeah nah, now that the NRL are planned on being up and running the whole ball games has changed.

At most the AFL will give the NRL a one to two week leg up but that is it. AFL the business will not risk anything at the expense of the NRL.

The Port players who went home in the shutdown have been told to be back in Adelaide May 10th.

At best they then isolate for 14 days. May 24th. The AFL will not be playing until July.

Brisbane Lions players have just had their stand off cut short and they have all been told they need to be back in Brisbane within a week from today.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:48 am

whufc wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:
whufc wrote:So when will the AFL announce there dates start day pretty much the same as the NRL.

Absolutely no chance the AFL would give the NRL a 'leg up' not find a way to get games on TV screens.

This would only ever apply in NSW and QLD. I doubt an AFL fan from anywhere else in Australia would change codes just because Rugby League is on TV and the AFL isn't. I would still prefer watching old games of footy rather than live Rugby League.

The exact market the AFL has been trying to crack for how long now!!

Geez they are having to fund two entire franchises to crack the market, you think their going to lose any gains they've made over a start date.

They will find a way to have some games playing within a week or two at most of that start date. Even if it means split rounds to start with.

Yeah, was just a general comment.

They might even look at getting the NSW and QLD teams playing the first games if they are really worried.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1210 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:49 am

The AFL won't jump at shadows the morons at the NRL have created.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7489 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:49 am

gadj1976 wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:

This would only ever apply in NSW and QLD. I doubt an AFL fan from anywhere else in Australia would change codes just because Rugby League is on TV and the AFL isn't. I would still prefer watching old games of footy rather than live Rugby League.

agree with this comment. I only ever watch Eels games and the likelihood I'd watch Penrith vs Canberra is very very slight indeed, despite it being live.

Go the Panthers!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:50 am

Booney wrote:The AFL won't jump at shadows the morons at the NRL have created.

I wouldn't have thought so....but these are unprecedented times.
PatowalongaPirate

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:50 am

Well some clubs have...... Brisbane players have been ordered to cut their holidays short and they need to be back in Brisbane in 7 days.

If you believe Eddie MacGuire Sydney Swans will be starting training from the first week of May.
Last edited by whufc on Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:52 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:

AFL house and the AFLPA couldn't give a shit what the NRL are doing. They've got governments to deal with, hubs etc.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:53 am

Booney wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:

agree with this comment. I only ever watch Eels games and the likelihood I'd watch Penrith vs Canberra is very very slight indeed, despite it being live.

Go the Panthers!

Booney or Mike Rann :-k
PatowalongaPirate

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:53 am

I said PanTHers, not PanFers.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:31 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:

Remembering the NRL are more broke than the AFL, hence they want the comp up and running as soon as possible.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:51 pm

Who else thinks elite athletes (NRL and AFL) will be able to maintain strict isolation processes for over three months? No visits from family, wives etc cant go out on the drink (private location with alcohol pre-arranged).....

yeah me neither.

This has clusterf**k written all over it.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:54 pm

am Bays wrote:Who else thinks elite athletes (NRL and AFL) will be able to maintain strict isolation processes for over three months? No visits from family, wives etc cant go out on the drink (private location with alcohol pre-arranged).....

yeah me neither.

Agreed. I heard the figure of $250,000 a day to have all clubs in one hub ( Melbourne, no doubt ), how the f*ck can they afford that?

I suspect some players wouldn't go or wouldn't be happy to go. I think they're rushing it and I don't think they should be.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:04 pm

If the season goes ahead and continues without crowds I would love to see clubs playing at their traditional home grounds - Princes Park, Victoria Park, Alberton, Waverley, Magistrates Court etc. etc.

Would never happen but geez I reckon it would be pretty good.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3998 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:41 pm

The Bedge wrote:If the season goes ahead and continues without crowds I would love to see clubs playing at their traditional home grounds - Princes Park, Victoria Park, Alberton, Waverley, Magistrates Court etc. etc.

As long as the Vic sides don't get to play on their home decks I think it would be great.

Even if for instance SA and WA became hubs I would rather teams not playing in their home state.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:05 pm

The Bedge wrote:If the season goes ahead and continues without crowds I would love to see clubs playing at their traditional home grounds - Princes Park, Victoria Park, Alberton, Waverley, Magistrates Court etc. etc.

Fitzroy at Brunswick Oval yaaaaar
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:10 pm

Booney wrote:
am Bays wrote:Who else thinks elite athletes (NRL and AFL) will be able to maintain strict isolation processes for over three months? No visits from family, wives etc cant go out on the drink (private location with alcohol pre-arranged).....

yeah me neither.

Agreed. I heard the figure of $250,000 a day to have all clubs in one hub ( Melbourne, no doubt ), how the f*ck can they afford that?

I suspect some players wouldn't go or wouldn't be happy to go. I think they're rushing it and I don't think they should be.

Can the industry not afford to do it?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:09 pm

That’s immaterial to my point.

I give it four weeks tops before a player in either code breaks isolation or has a family member/mate break their isolation and it gets out in the media (non official media sources will be sweating on these stories).

The public outcry whilst the rest of us are doing the right thing will pressure the authorities to can it.

It’s highly likely it will be “self reported” via insta tiktok or twitter knowing some of these clowns. One only has to see the news reports of the RL players party at Latrell Mitchell’s place over the weekend.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-27/nrl-players-under-investigation-for-breach-of-coronavirus-rules/12188192

As I said by week four one or a group of players will be so sick of the isolation but not sick of playing and earning again that they’ll try and go awol on the down-low but within 48 hrs it’ll be all over the inter web!
Last edited by am Bays on Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:11 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:

yeah me neither.

Can the industry not afford to do it?

Think the AFL heavyweights are pretty smart people, they would obviously be weighing up whether it is worth the cost, and the large amount of money tied up with television rights, etc.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 526 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:18 pm

Exactly, even if it costs $2m a week for these hubs but it brings in $5m in broadcast revenue the industry is ahead.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:22 pm

Dutchy wrote:Exactly, even if it costs $2m a week for these hubs but it brings in $5m in broadcast revenue the industry is ahead.

Spot on!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 526 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL