1982 preliminary final

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: 1982 preliminary final

Postby JK » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:03 pm

Magellan wrote:
JK wrote:Separate question again, is this the greatest SANFL GF of alltime?

I'd say it'd have to go pretty damn close. Other contenders?

84’ maybe?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Magellan » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:23 pm

JK wrote:
Magellan wrote:
JK wrote:Separate question again, is this the greatest SANFL GF of alltime?

I'd say it'd have to go pretty damn close. Other contenders?

84’ maybe?

Yeah, it'd be up there too. I thought 1980 was a great game - low scoring, but close and plenty of contests and high skill, and it really came down to the last quarter (and Bomber Clifford's 2 goals, TBH).

I guess we're limiting our list to post-war GFs, or at least those where there's visual evidence.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby robranisgod » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:59 pm

Magellan wrote:
robranisgod wrote:it took 38 years for the Jack Oatey Medallist to come from the losing side, yet if it had been awarded 8 years earlier it would have been won by players from the losing side 3 times, Hammond in 1973

Interested in more discussion on this - some like RiG say Hammond was best, whilst I've read others who rate Carey's 6 goals from centre half forward as BOG. I was too young to see the 1973 GF live, so I'm interested a comparison.

Also, interested in Rex Voight's performance - how did this stack up in comparison? 7 goals is up there in terms of GF goalscoring, and if we're considering retrospective Jack Oatey medals, then goalscorers tend to be favourably looked on.

At the time, Hammond was universally considered Best On Ground and Kerry Hamilton was considered Glenelg's best.
When umpire Murray Ducker was quizzed at the time, he would have said 3 votes Hammond, 2 votes Hamilton and one vote Tregenza, the Bay ruckman.
Perhaps because so many goals were kicked, Carey and Voight's efforts were unfairly marked down.
Carey's effort was fantastic, I have heard him mentioned occasionally as Glenelg's best player, but never b.o.g.
You are right about goalscorers. Darel Hart scored 7 goals from 11 kicks in 1991 and was given the Jack Oatey Medal when Tim Perkins was almost everyone else's choice and Michael Parsons was very good in 1987, but North gave their award to Michael Redden and others thought Steven Sims or even a young D Jarman was North's best.
And did Neville Roberts score 6 in 1984? Keith Thomas was clearly b.o.g.
And did Rick Neagle score 6 in 1982? I am not sure about that, but Danny Jenkins was clearly b.o.g. and got the medal
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 227 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby JK » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:25 pm

Yeah Rocky kicked 6 in 84’ but KT was rightly awarded the medal. I recall the votes given by players and coaches in the paper had KT as BOG in a whitewash (followed by Dwayne Russell and Lester Ross).

I always thought Danny Jenkins was the rightful medalist in 82’, but I know a lot of Norwood folk thought Macca could have won it.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Magellan » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:37 pm

robranisgod wrote:You are right about goalscorers. Darel Hart scored 7 goals from 11 kicks in 1991 and was given the Jack Oatey Medal when Tim Perkins was almost everyone else's choice and Michael Parsons was very good in 1987, but North gave their award to Michael Redden and others thought Steven Sims or even a young D Jarman was North's best.
And did Neville Roberts score 6 in 1984? Keith Thomas was clearly b.o.g.
And did Rick Neagle score 6 in 1982? I am not sure about that, but Danny Jenkins was clearly b.o.g. and got the medal

Good points. Similarly, Hodges scored 6 in 1992 and 1994, and 7 in 1996 respectively, but the medal went elsewhere on each occasion.
Other high scorer winners: Kernahan (7 in 1985), Hall (6 in 1986), and Grigg (6 in 2018).
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby am Bays » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:03 pm

1973 has to be in the conversation for great GFs

A point the difference when the siren sounded. 267 points scored, 67 scoring shots.

Two sides attacking all day. All the skills fans love about our game on show.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby robranisgod » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:50 pm

am Bays wrote:1973 has to be in the conversation for great GFs

A point the difference when the siren sounded. 267 points scored, 67 scoring shots.

Two sides attacking all day. All the skills fans love about our game on show.

As much as it hurt me at the time, 1973 is generally considered the greatest Grand FInal, post Second World War, at least.

For Glenelg to kick 21 goals and yet Hammond kept Fred Phillis goalless, just shows what an incredible game he played. And he attacked from defence.

After 47 years it has suddenly occurred to me that Glenelg had 4 of the best 5 players on the ground yet were behind at the 28 minute mark of the last quarter. Other than Hammond, who as I said was unanimously voted best on the ground at the time, the next 4 best players were Hamilton, Carey, Tregenza and Voight. How did North get so close? I can only repeat that it was Hammond. Remember too Barrie Robran did his knee in the first quarter and Wayne Phillis kept him down to 15 kicks and 5 handballs. Not bad stats at all for a mere mortal at Centre Half Forward but a poor game by Barrie's usual standard, especially in finals.

I just remember 1960, that was considered a great Grand Final as was 1958, which I don't remember and 1965 which I certainly recall vividly.

I know it is a lesser competition now and it is hard for me to be objective, but many good neutral judges and even a couple of Norwood fans have told me that 2018 rates very highly as a Grand Final.

Interestingly one Norwood history buff, rated Grigg's game as the best in a losing side since Hammond's 1973 game.

I have stated it before but how did P Walsh not award Grigg best on the ground. And he managed to omit North's best player, Schwarz, from the best 3 on the ground. What game was he watching. If he is of the opinion that the medallist has to come from the winning side he had to vote for Schwarz, but he didn't.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby JK » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:43 pm

Gotta say ROG your recaps are awesome .. Enjoy them as much as the "Looking Back"articles in the budget as a kid. On the Grigg situation, I reckon Im (usually) a pretty balanced supporter, but he was such a one man band. I shudder to think how much we wold have got belted by if he hadnt performed, might have been 1952esque
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Spargo » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:19 am

JK wrote:Gotta say ROG your recaps are awesome .. Enjoy them as much as the "Looking Back"articles in the budget as a kid.

Totally agree.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5474 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby robranisgod » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:48 am

I appreciate your comments. I have had a very fortunate life, footywise. I, of course, am a passionate North Adelaide supporter, but as much as I absolutely love North, I love footy and great footballers even more.
Until last year I had been at the ground for every SANFL Grand Final from 1960 onwards other than 1994 when I was in Europe.
Last year I was in Morocco but was travelling on a bus with WIFI powerful enough to watch the Glenelg vs Port Grand Final with the DIgital Pass much to my wife's chagrin who thought I should have been looking at the scenery.
As a kid we went to every North game or if North were playing on a holiday as seemed to happen a lot, we went to either the Torrens game (mum followed Torrens) or to the game of the day as well as every final, so I saw a lot of the champs such as Lindsay Head, John Cahill, Geof Motley, Ken Eustice, Neil Kerley, Robert Day, Peter Darley, Robert Oatey, Tank Kneebone, John Halbert and Baggy and then a little later on Peter Marker, Russell Ebert, Malcolm Blight, Peter Carey, Rick Davies, Greg Phillips, Graham Cornes, Peter Motley, John Platten, Mark Naley, Stephen Kernahan, Garry McIntosh, Michael Aish, Scott Hodges. Gavin Wanganeen and Ralphie Sewer. All champions in my eyes. So I have been spoilt. Of course too, on a weekly basis I would see North who always had a champ to watch from Don Lindner and Barrie Barbary, through to Barrie Robran, the Jarmans and dare I say it for one year in 2018 Connor Rozee.
May the SANFL continue to produce champs, even if we only see them in our competition for a short time.
Last edited by robranisgod on Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby Wedgie » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:52 am

I'd like to ad to that RIG, love your posts, they're a must read and I'm amazed at how good your memory is.
The insight you bring that most historical writings don't is invaluable.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3886 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Magellan » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:19 am

Wedgie wrote:I'd like to ad to that RIG, love your posts, they're a must read and I'm amazed at how good your memory is.
The insight you bring that most historical writings don't is invaluable.

Hear, hear. I really enjoy reading RiG's posts as well - great recollections and insights, particularly for those eras that I am too young to have witnessed.
Magellan
Coach

Postby JK » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:57 am

Very fair on all clubs and players too. Funny how as a young buck we think our club has all the best players and all others are rubbish, but with age comes the realization that we’ve been blessed to see so many amazing players regardless of who they played for. Read a FB post this morning attached to the NFC about Mark Naley and was great to see how highly praised he was by opposition supporters.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby robranisgod » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:09 pm

JK wrote:Very fair on all clubs and players too. Funny how as a young buck we think our club has all the best players and all others are rubbish, but with age comes the realization that we’ve been blessed to see so many amazing players regardless of who they played for. Read a FB post this morning attached to the NFC about Mark Naley and was great to see how highly praised he was by opposition supporters.

Mark Naley was a great player. He wasn't much short of John Platten. I have always thought that in the 6 years after the Crows came into the AFL and the SANFL was diminished that one thing that stood out was that the Magarey Medallists of those 6 years could have been Medallists in any era.
Forgetting Glenn Kilpatrick who was only here for one year and tied with McIntosh in 1995 the medallists were :
1991 Naley - certainly worthy of a medal in any era
1992 Buckley - champion
1993 Phillips - The least of the 6, but a better player than a number of medallists prior to 1991.
1994-95 McIntosh - Champion
1996 Francou - I don't think any of us including North supporters realised at the time how good he was. He ran second and third in a Brownlow.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby JK » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:15 pm

Yeah I often think about those years and medalists, and how they could all have been right up there in a Brownlow count (well hard to say about Macca, but when Dermie says he was the best player he saw to never play VFL/AFL you’d have to think he would have gone alright).
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Magellan » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:26 pm

JK wrote:Yeah I often think about those years and medalists, and how they could all have been right up there in a Brownlow count (well hard to say about Macca, but when Dermie says he was the best player he saw to never play VFL/AFL you’d have to think he would have gone alright).

McIntosh was born to play in the mud heap grounds in suburban Melbourne, plus he was quick, skilled, and of course tough. Would've definitely dominated in Victoria, and perhaps could've jagged a Brownlow.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:05 pm

Magellan wrote:
JK wrote:Yeah I often think about those years and medalists, and how they could all have been right up there in a Brownlow count (well hard to say about Macca, but when Dermie says he was the best player he saw to never play VFL/AFL you’d have to think he would have gone alright).

McIntosh was born to play in the mud heap grounds in suburban Melbourne, plus he was quick, skilled, and of course tough. Would've definitely dominated in Victoria, and perhaps could've jagged a Brownlow.
Yep, the Victorian bog heaps and their style would’ve suited Macca to a tee. Really think he would’ve dominated over there.
I’m still forever grateful that he spurned the VFL numerous times and stuck with Norwood.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby DOC » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:22 pm

If ever there was a bloke who gave back to the game more than what he got, it's him.

As tough as any but as skilled as you would expect from a champion. Loyal as to boot.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Postby mal » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:32 pm

Gary Mcintosh is a current part owner of that very good local galloper Gytrash
Co-incidently the letters in Gary Mcintosh are also in Gytrash- but not why the horse got its name
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 903 times

Postby JK » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:54 pm

Loved Maccas loyalty, but I must admit there’s a part of me that wishes he’d spent some time in the VFL/AFL just so the whole country could have seen and appreciated him.
FUSC
JK
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum