Coronavirus (Covid19)

Anything!

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19)

Postby Magellan » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:30 am

Booney wrote:
Booney wrote:President Donald Trump has suggested patients could be injected with disinfectant as a way of fighting coronavirus.
Speaking from the White House podium, the president of the United States said it could be "interesting to check it out".
"I see the disinfectant where it knocks it out in a minute," Mr Trump said.

"And is there a way we can do something, by an injection inside or almost a cleaning? It would be interesting to check that.
"That you're gonna have to use medical doctors with."
Injecting disinfectant into the human body could very likely be fatal.
Department of Homeland Security science chief Bill Bryan backed away from the president's suggestion.
"We don't do that within our lab," Mr Bryan said.

Mr Trump interjected: "Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't."
After hearing reports that coronavirus dies within minutes on surfaces in direct sunlight, Mr Trump suggested it as a method of treating patients.
"Supposing you brought the light inside the body - either through the skin or some other way," he said.
"It'd be interesting to check that. You'd have to use medical doctors."
Coronavirus response coordinator Deborah Birx, herself a medical doctor, had to dismiss the president's suggestion.

"Not as a treatment," Dr Birx said.
Mr Trump called upon her to see if his theory could work.
"Maybe you can. Maybe you can't. I'm not a doctor. But I'm a person that has a good you-know-what," the president said.
Mr Trump hit out at a reporter who questioned his approach.
"Respectfully, sir, you're the president and people tuning into the briefings, they want to get information and guidance and want to know what to do," The Washington Post's Philip Rucker said.
"They're not looking for rumour."

The president replied: "Hey Phil. I'm the president and you're fake news."
Mr Trump also pointed out that the US coronavirus outbreaks appear to be worse in states that do not support him politically.
"It is interesting the states that are having trouble are blue," he said.
"The states that seem to have the problem happen to be Democrat."

He's saying it was sarcasm.

Of course he did. The Whitehouse press gallery is the new home of American comedy. Fair enough, I guess, since the Oval Office has been that way for nearly 4 years.

Someone must've uttered 'sarcasm' on Fox News, there's no other way he'd know the word.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby stan » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:47 am

I reckon his easy win in December has now turned into a real 50/50 struggle.

And he has done this on his own. I know he will still have his crazy supporters that come out and define him and he'll still poll well, but how many swing voters would he lose with crazy shit like this.

Even if he was being sarcastic and just seeing what the media did with it, still WTF would you behave like that when the country is turning to shit.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Brodlach » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:37 pm

Zero cases in SA again

92% recovered

2 still in critical care ICU
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Brodlach » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:48 pm

SA only 3 cases in 7 days

10 in the last 14 days
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby stan » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:36 pm

Brodlach wrote:SA only 3 cases in 7 days

10 in the last 14 days
All about the active cases at the moment. 32 active.

Very pleasing at the moment.

Ok so to all the parents out there, what's the go with school and your opinion?

I am very interested to hear it.

stan
Coach

Postby Bluedemon » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:42 pm

stan wrote:

10 in the last 14 days

We are keeping our daughter at home until we can take her directly to her classroom instead of dropping her at the gate
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 96 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Q. » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:55 pm

stan wrote:

10 in the last 14 days

I don't know why we'd undo all the good work and sacrifice, just to send kids back into the melting pot of school.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Jase » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:01 pm

We will be sending oir kids back when they can go. Mainly because this is where the Mrs and I are so it's easier for them to come with us as well.

The eldest is in Year 12 so he is desperate to get some face to face teaching as soon as he can.

I reckon that if kids can go to school then they can start sport at the same time... I doubt that will happen, but if there is no risk to kids, apparently, then if schools ok so is sport

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby Pag » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:34 pm

As myself and my wife (both teachers) are going back to work this week, our two year-old has to go back to child care. We have had the option over the previous two weeks and we have kept her home, and would’ve again this week if it was possible.

And again, harping on my previous (and Jase’s) point, if schools are supposedly safe, then junior sport and public playgrounds should be accessible this week also. Smacks of inconsistencies still.

30 kids in a 40 square metre classroom from Mon-Fri = fine.
18-36 kids on a footy oval on a Sunday = not fine.
50-100 kids on a school playground = fine.
1 kid on a public playground = not fine.
Up to 1500 kids in a schoolyard at recess/lunchtimes = fine.
11 kids at a birthday party = not fine.

To add to this, school will be a half-assed experience for kids if they go back next week anyway. Excursions, incursions, assemblies, school sport, extra-curricular activities, special events etc all cancelled for the forseeable future, which is bullshit if kids ‘don’t catch/transmit the virus’. Double standards everywhere.
Last edited by Pag on Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby DOC » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:19 pm

That, PAG, is very hard to argue.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby amber_fluid » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:00 am

The ‘experts’ are saying school is safe so I’m sending my 2 back.
They both want to go back which makes our decision easier as well.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Mythical Creature » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:48 am

We are sending ours back. No hesitation. We never pulled them out last term either because the prime minister plus the medical experts said it was safe for them to be at school. Until we are told to keep them home they will continue to go to school.
I think it's good for them, social skills etc. Ages 8 and 5, so a very excitable age.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby stan » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:02 am

It's a tough thing mull over at the moment, I have one in year 1, hard to know what to do, there is just so much information and different voices out there.

What makes it harder is you don't know if some of the voices actually have a concern about school going back or ate they just looking to have a go at the government. Unfortunately politics still play a part in all of this.

I think we will be send her back tomorrow, she's pretty keen to go back.

stan
Coach

Postby reppoh_eht » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:14 am

Pag wrote:As myself and my wife (both teachers) are going back to work this week, our two year-old has to go back to child care. We have had the option over the previous two weeks and we have kept her home, and would’ve again this week if it was possible.

And again, harping on my previous (and Jase’s) point, if schools are supposedly safe, then junior sport and public playgrounds should be accessible this week also. Smacks of inconsistencies still.

To add to this, school will be a half-assed experience for kids if they go back next week anyway. Excursions, incursions, assemblies, school sport, extra-curricular activities, special events etc all cancelled for the forseeable future, which is bullshit if kids ‘don’t catch/transmit the virus’. Double standards everywhere.

I keep hearing this argument about School vs Sport vs Other Group Activities for kids. The part I keep thinking is being missed is that for any of those other items to occur it would involve many other adults (parents, umpires, organisers, etc) to be involved. As apposed to school which has a controlled number of adults in the mix. You open that box to quickly and we will be back to where we were a month or two ago.

I get that teachers are worried, but when the chief medical officer says it is safe to go back then why can't this just be taken for what it is. Instead we have the head of the teachers union coming out publicly saying don't send your kids back to school. Why on earth would they say this? On what grounds do they think this is a good approach? You now have what I'm hearing is one of the biggest frustrations for teachers... Half of the students on campus and the other half studying online from home.

This virus is going to be around for many many more months. The government is working towards returning to some form of normality - but the virus will still be around. The idea being that we can almost have normal lives but the second there is a new case or an outbreak everyone involved would be isolated - this applied to whether it be a kid from a school or an adult from a workplace.
reppoh_eht
Under 16s

Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby Pag » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:45 am

reppoh_eht wrote:
Pag wrote:As myself and my wife (both teachers) are going back to work this week, our two year-old has to go back to child care. We have had the option over the previous two weeks and we have kept her home, and would’ve again this week if it was possible.

I keep hearing this argument about School vs Sport vs Other Group Activities for kids. The part I keep thinking is being missed is that for any of those other items to occur it would involve many other adults (parents, umpires, organisers, etc) to be involved. As apposed to school which has a controlled number of adults in the mix. You open that box to quickly and we will be back to where we were a month or two ago.

I get that teachers are worried, but when the chief medical officer says it is safe to go back then why can't this just be taken for what it is. Instead we have the head of the teachers union coming out publicly saying don't send your kids back to school. Why on earth would they say this? On what grounds do they think this is a good approach? You now have what I'm hearing is one of the biggest frustrations for teachers... Half of the students on campus and the other half studying online from home.

This virus is going to be around for many many more months. The government is working towards returning to some form of normality - but the virus will still be around. The idea being that we can almost have normal lives but the second there is a new case or an outbreak everyone involved would be isolated - this applied to whether it be a kid from a school or an adult from a workplace.

I’m not the biggest fan of the way the union have carried on, and I agree, having half/half attendance is actually the hardest scenario for teachers. Ultimately, despite what ScoMo (and the Union) say, it is still 100% the decision of the parents to send their children to school on a particular day or not.

But again, if kids can’t pass on/catch the virus, why can’t they have a kick on a Sunday with parents in cars watching/socially distancing? You need an umpire, coach and team manager, similar to having a teacher, SSO and maybe another subject/yard duty teacher that kids will come into contact with during the day at school. It is literally no different. My daughter isn’t allowed to go to her swimming class on a Sunday morning with one adult to five kids, but I can have thirty kids around me in a small space the day after? Consistency?

The other point I’ll make is I have two students who are your typical boys, only come to school for recess, lunch, PE and the SAPSASA carnivals every three weeks. Every teacher does. Those carnivals are the carrot I have to dangle in front of them so they hand up any sort of work and so they successfully manage their behaviour. That carrot is gone, that tri-weekly opportunity for those kids to experience some success is gone, and unfortunately, I wouldn’t be surprised if they end up suspended soon after working out SAPSASA isn’t back. The kids who love their music, well choir and instrumental lessons are gone. We’ve been told our food tech lessons are still theory until further notice, there goes the highlight for the kids who love cooking. Unless you love English and Maths, school won’t be the whole experience for a while for a lot of kids, which is sad if it’s completely safe. Again, this feeds the narrative that schools are being used as a babysitting tool for the time being, only open on a streamline basis so the economy can keep ticking.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby reppoh_eht » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:20 am

Pag wrote:
reppoh_eht wrote:

I’m not the biggest fan of the way the union have carried on, and I agree, having half/half attendance is actually the hardest scenario for teachers. Ultimately, despite what ScoMo (and the Union) say, it is still 100% the decision of the parents to send their children to school on a particular day or not.

But again, if kids can’t pass on/catch the virus, why can’t they have a kick on a Sunday with parents in cars watching/socially distancing? You need an umpire, coach and team manager, similar to having a teacher, SSO and maybe another subject/yard duty teacher that kids will come into contact with during the day at school. It is literally no different. My daughter isn’t allowed to go to her swimming class on a Sunday morning, but I can have thirty kids around me in a small space the day after?

The example I’ll give is I have two students who are your typical boys, only come to school for recess, lunch, PE and the SAPSASA carnivals every three weeks. Those carnivals are the carrot I have to dangle in front of them so they hand up any sort of work and so they successfully manage their behaviour. That carrot is gone, I wouldn’t be surprised if they end up suspended soon after working out SAPSASA isn’t back. The kids who love their music, well choir and instrumental lessons are gone. We’ve been told our food tech lessons are still theory until further notice, there goes the highlight for the kids who love cooking. Unless you love English and Maths, school won’t be the whole experience for a while for a lot of kids, which is sad if it’s completely safe.

I don't believe they have ever said children "can't catch or pass on the virus". What they have said is that the information they have is that the cases in children are very low - quite a large bit of difference between the two. I assume they have weighed up the risks vs the benefits of getting kids back into some form of normality with the bonus that it allows parents also to get some form of normality back in their lives.

As the government keep saying the long term strategy is more testing, having the ability to quickly and easily contact trace after a case is found and stop any outbreaks before they even happen - we just have to do this slowly rather than "ohh we have had a good two weeks with minimal new cases, let's open everything up and just see how we go".

When you say "it is still 100% the decision of the parents to send their children to school on a particular day or not"... Well yes it is, but if all they heard was the message from the most knowledgeable people in the country on the matter then I'd suggest you would have closer to 90% attendance. Instead they are hearing mixed messages and plenty are now second guessing themselves because of it.
reppoh_eht
Under 16s

Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:19 pm

Queensland relaxing a few restrictions next week

https://twitter.com/annastaciamp/status ... 32928?s=21
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:52 pm

Sending both my kids!

My eldest in particular who struggles a bit at school has put In to much hard work to get back to the level of the other kids to risk going backwards.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:06 pm

Jim05 wrote:Queensland relaxing a few restrictions next week

https://twitter.com/annastaciamp/status ... 32928?s=21

That just goes back to what we have been doing here all along. Our local member Stefan K-Noll was actively encouraging all these things
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby The Bedge » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:27 pm

We are sending ours back, rightly or wrongly. 5 weeks at home, they're getting restless and sick of being couped up for starters, but it's hard for me to focus on my work and also give them the time and attention they need to do their work - not to mention they struggle with staying focussed for periods of time.

Also the eldest is in year 12, and whilst I push her, she is reaching a "lazy" stage and really needs behave her school routine to help get her on track and keep her somewhat active.

If things change and we look like being in the position we were a few weeks ago, then we will return them to home schooling, but at the moment going back is best for everyone.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion