New Footy Season Format Options for 2020

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: New Footy Season Format Options for 2020

Postby davideyy71 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:47 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:May 11 would be the absolute earliest for any football announcement.

That's when the AFL are making their announcement isn't it? You'd think no competition beneath that would make any announcements before the AFL, so I think you may be correct.

Monday, May 11 still gives like 5 weeks until June 13 - ample time to resume training and be ready for "Round 1".

Yep.

They won't have community football starting up before AFL.

Which is a bit of a shame - obviously AFL is a national comp requiring interstate travel and a certain level of cooperation between state governments.

On the other hand, the SAAFL is completely self contained within SA. If we have weeks of 0 cases, and only a handful of 'active cases' so long as interstate travellers are required to quarantine, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to play footy within SA before it's opened up nationally.
davideyy71
Mini-League

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:09 am

jo172 wrote:
He's literally been giving a press conference every day.

And you'll never get 100% assurance, such is the nature of this thing. Need to play the percentages and determine risk/reward.

When I had a week off all I seen on the idiot box was Scomo, the NSW leader and the Vic leader each day, that was my point, I don't even see Marshall on the evening news much.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby davideyy71 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:19 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
jo172 wrote:

And you'll never get 100% assurance, such is the nature of this thing. Need to play the percentages and determine risk/reward.

When I had a week off all I seen on the idiot box was Scomo, the NSW leader and the Vic leader each day, that was my point, I don't even see Marshall on the evening news much.

IMO Marshall has had a lot of press conferences, but said very little of substance, simply following the lead of other states.
davideyy71
Mini-League

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:24 am

davideyy71 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
jo172 wrote:

IMO Marshall has had a lot of press conferences, but said very little of substance, simply following the lead of other states.

Which is all political deflection. Queensland have announced a start date for community to sport to return.?
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby locky801 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:10 pm

Things must be moving footy wise, the goal and point posts have been erected at Walkerville Oval :D
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3709 times
Been liked: 1170 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:19 pm

Morrison pushes for earlier reopening

Phillip Coorey
Political editor
Apr 29, 2020 – 7.28pm

Scott Morrison and state and territory leaders will soon discuss a wide-scale lifting of COVID-19 restrictions, including the resumption of community and professional sport, and the reopening of cafes and restaurants, news of which has buoyed the sharemarket.

At the same time, the Prime Minister said the economic outlook was set to worsen dramatically and the government left open the prospect of extending the JobSeeker unemployment benefit beyond its original time frame of six months.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison will meet with the states on May 11 about easing restrictions on Australia's people and businesses. Alex Ellinghausen

While there is no more money to pour into the $14 billion welfare top-up, a possible "underspend" on what is a demand-driven program may allow the government to taper payments beyond the cut-off or keep people on the full benefit for a bit longer.

Declaring that a freer lifestyle was "not too far away'', the Prime Minister said restrictions could be lifted faster if more people downloaded the COVIDSafe app, which enables authorities to quickly stamp out what will still be inevitable outbreaks of the coronavirus.

Thus far, 2.8 million people have downloaded the app but Mr Morrison said "millions and millions and millions more'' need to follow suit to make it effective.

The government is aiming for at least 8 million downloads, which is 40 per cent of the population, for the app to be effective in contact tracing.

"If you want to return to a more liberated economy and society, it is important that we get increased numbers of downloads when it comes to the COVIDSafe app,'' he said.

May 11 meeting
Mr Morrison said the national cabinet would meet the week beginning May 11 to discuss the removal of the baseline restrictions which have been in place for over a month.

While some states have eased a handful of restrictions, the S&P/ASX 200 index rose 1.2 per cent as Mr Morrison spoke of a broader, nationwide easing. The market finished the day 1.5 per cent up at 5393.4 points.

"It won't be exactly like it was before. I can't see international travel occurring anytime soon,'' Mr Morrison said, with the exception of New Zealand.

"But outside of that ... I look forward to the time when Australians can travel again within Australia.

"I look forward to the time where they can sit down to a meal at a restaurant or a cafe or in a pub again. I look forward to the time where they can see, whether it is the AFL, the netball, or the NRL, or whatever code it is they support, and being able to watch that again."

Channel Nine CEO Hugh Marks, ARLC chairman Peter V'landys and Foxtel boss Patrick Delany.
RELATED
Cost of NRL season still the main issue for Nine, Foxtel
He said fans would not be able to attend games and while there may be opportunities "for those seeking private prayer in a place of worship'', there would not be large services.

The government has committed $130 billion to the JobKeeper scheme, which pays wage subsidies of $1500 per fortnight, and $14 billion to the JobSeeker scheme, which has doubled the maximum unemployment benefit to $1100 per fortnight.

While insistent both schemes will end on October 1 as legislated, the government is especially under pressure not to allow JobSeeker to revert back to the old dole payment of about $40 a day.

Mr Morrison and Finance Minister Mathias Cormann are adamant the schemes will not be topped up. But amid speculation all the money may not be spent, due to the economy recovering faster than anticipated, Senator Cormann flagged flexibility with JobSeeker beyond the cut-off date.

"There is a supplement that is in place specifically to deal with the impact of the COVID-19 crisis,'' he said of the $550 fortnightly top-up.

"That COVID-19 supplement would not continue to be in place when we are on the other side of the COVID-19 period.

"The initial period that this is in place for is about six months. There will be capacity to adjust depending on how long this continues to go for."

'I fear worse statistics coming'
Mr Morrison also indicated some flexibility with timing but stressed there would be no additional money because the budget could not afford it.

"These emergency measures come at a great cost. And clearly that level of cost is not a sustainable level beyond what we've flagged,'' he said.

Mr Morrison said the worst was yet to come in terms of the hit to the economy, and the government's focus was to get people back into work as soon as possible to help grow the economy.

People on JobKeeper won't be counted as unemployed.
RELATED
Why hours worked is a better jobless number
"I fear worse statistics coming forward on the economy in the months ahead,'' he said.

"That's why JobSeeker and JobKeeper were put in place to deal with the heavy blow that the COVID-19 pandemic is going to have on the Australian economy.

"But that's why we also need to move as quickly as we can, getting these protections in place, to ensure that our economy can grow."

Mr Morrison said success would not be judged just by defeating the virus.

"This is the success we're seeking, to be able to have the protections in place, to enable Australians to go back to as normal a life and an economy as possible."

Phillip Coorey is the Political editor based in Canberra. He is a two-time winner of the Paul Lyneham award for press gallery excellence. Connect with Phillip on Facebook and Twitter. Email Phillip at pcoorey@afr.com
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Fricky » Fri May 01, 2020 8:12 am

locky801 wrote:Things must be moving footy wise, the goal and point posts have been erected at Walkerville Oval :D

That's usually how long the council takes anyway :roll:
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 01, 2020 11:08 am

JK's weekly update is very informative and always answers the questions that lurk in your head, the AdFL is very much on the front foot and ready to roll as soon as the light turns green.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby jo172 » Fri May 01, 2020 3:37 pm

Fricky wrote:
locky801 wrote:Things must be moving footy wise, the goal and point posts have been erected at Walkerville Oval :D

For reasons that are completely lost to me the cricket pitch around Payneham Oval remains roped off.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby heater31 » Fri May 01, 2020 3:43 pm

jo172 wrote:
Fricky wrote:

For reasons that are completely lost to me the cricket pitch around Payneham Oval remains roped off.
Squares would have to be the best they've been ever! Bit of rain and no footy!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby jo172 » Fri May 01, 2020 4:08 pm

heater31 wrote:
jo172 wrote:
Fricky wrote:

Safe to say the Payneham Oval square is the greenest its ever been in May!
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby Footy Chick » Fri May 01, 2020 4:51 pm

jo172 wrote:
Fricky wrote:

Skeletor rules the oval! :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Q. » Fri May 01, 2020 8:33 pm

Hearing that in lifting restrictions for competitive sport, the crowds can only consist of one family member for each player - not sure how they'll police that for public spaces?
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Brodlach » Fri May 01, 2020 8:43 pm

Q. wrote:Hearing that in lifting restrictions for competitive sport, the crowds can only consist of one family member for each player - not sure how they'll police that for public spaces?

Wasn’t that just junior sport?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby locky801 » Sat May 02, 2020 8:50 am

Q. wrote:Hearing that in lifting restrictions for competitive sport, the crowds can only consist of one family member for each player - not sure how they'll police that for public spaces?

use the COVID19 tracker lol ;) :D
locky801
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Sat May 02, 2020 4:33 pm

heater31 wrote:
jo172 wrote:
Fricky wrote:

Ours looks amazing. Full grass cover 25mm.
I'm keeping it roped off till footy comes back.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby tigerpie » Sat May 02, 2020 4:40 pm

Carona has given all grounds a bit of a well earned rest.
Turf grounds especially with all this rain we're having.
Once footy gets back the turf blocks should be well grassed.

How's everyones grounds looking?
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Brodlach » Sat May 02, 2020 5:27 pm

Encouraging news

July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby locky801 » Sat May 02, 2020 6:14 pm

hearing an announcement on pubs and clubs re opening is imminent

Hopefully all good news
locky801
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sat May 02, 2020 6:30 pm

locky801 wrote:hearing an announcement on pubs and clubs re opening is imminent

Hopefully all good news
Still keep hearing that July 1st is the date and that there will be strict restrictions in place. Wonder if that will be brought forward now?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League