AFL 2020 Season

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL 2020 Season

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:30 pm

Players have said unequivocally, no families with us, no hubs.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:32 pm

Booney wrote:Players have said unequivocally, no families with us, no hubs.
Easy fixed, no play no pay. They will soon change their tune quickly
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:41 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:Players have said unequivocally, no families with us, no hubs.
Easy fixed, no play no pay. They will soon change their tune quickly

Going to be interesting to see how this plays out.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2512 times

Postby beef » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:03 am

Im with the players on this. If, as reported, they are in a hub for 20 odd weeks i think its a bit much to ask them to be away from partners / kids for that period of time. Mental health issues will go through the roof and not fair on their partners as well. Need to be an alternative to at least allow contact with families.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 254 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:16 am

Seriously, is the AFLPA run by out and out idiots? I just don’t get how this is an issue all of a sudden - Like the players never saw this scenario coming previously? It’s been in conversations with people I know for weeks. It’s not hard to see that players (If they want to play) would and will be quarantined for at least 20 weeks. Quarantined for an initial 2 weeks, 2 weeks of proper training and 16 matches plus finals. They are based in hotels and won’t see the general public for months and everything will be strictly monitored. Even if their families could join them, they are going to get cabin fever to the max as they don’t have a sport or profession to release to. At least now they can go to the shops ect - In the hub that’s no chance. If 1 player or family member gets Covid19 she’s all over for the entire league as a club won’t be able to play. I mentioned 3 weeks back that it’s great the players and families want them to play, but being locked away from the public or doing any outside activities is going to play on your mental health.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:41 am

If anyone has seen the new proposal, or atleast something close to what it may look like, how many 5 day breaks will there be?
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11834 times
Been liked: 3593 times

Postby LMA » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:56 am

beef wrote:Im with the players on this. If, as reported, they are in a hub for 20 odd weeks i think its a bit much to ask them to be away from partners / kids for that period of time. Mental health issues will go through the roof and not fair on their partners as well. Need to be an alternative to at least allow contact with families.

Would be a serious bout of blue balls getting around which could lead to more aggressive acts on the field :)
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:57 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Seriously, is the AFLPA run by out and out idiots? I just don’t get how this is an issue all of a sudden - Like the players never saw this scenario coming previously? It’s been in conversations with people I know for weeks. It’s not hard to see that players (If they want to play) would and will be quarantined for at least 20 weeks. Quarantined for an initial 2 weeks, 2 weeks of proper training and 16 matches plus finals. They are based in hotels and won’t see the general public for months and everything will be strictly monitored. Even if their families could join them, they are going to get cabin fever to the max as they don’t have a sport or profession to release to. At least now they can go to the shops ect - In the hub that’s no chance. If 1 player or family member gets Covid19 she’s all over for the entire league as a club won’t be able to play. I mentioned 3 weeks back that it’s great the players and families want them to play, but being locked away from the public or doing any outside activities is going to play on your mental health.

The hub idea was originally 3 hubs 6 teams per hub 5 games then two weeks break / move, the 20 weeks all in one city only came about in the last 5-7 days from memory.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby locky801 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:18 am

is beyond a joke now
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3694 times
Been liked: 1165 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:20 am

Of course the media have blown it out of all proportion, the 20 weeks will be the worst case scenario for 2 teams, the 2 teams that make the GF.

Also if after the first 8 weeks the border restrictions are lifted or relaxed, which is probably a huge chance of happening, then the hubs will be disbanded.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby Brodlach » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:28 am

Media is all about being outraged for the sake of being outraged
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Magellan » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:58 am

LMA wrote:
beef wrote:Im with the players on this. If, as reported, they are in a hub for 20 odd weeks i think its a bit much to ask them to be away from partners / kids for that period of time. Mental health issues will go through the roof and not fair on their partners as well. Need to be an alternative to at least allow contact with families.

Would be a serious bout of blue balls getting around which could lead to more aggressive acts on the field :)

Conjugal visits.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:00 am

Is it just me, or do others not give a shit about footy happening this year? If there are to be no crowds, I have no interest whatsoever. If they do get up and play to empty stadiums, how irrelevant would the premiership feel to the supporters of the winning team. Just write off this year and imagine how bloody good next season will be. Make every week a blockbuster.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:01 am

Bum Crack wrote:Is it just me, or do others not give a shit about footy happening this year? If there are to be no crowds, I have no interest whatsoever. If they do get up and play to empty stadiums, how irrelevant would the premiership feel to the supporters of the winning team. Just write off this year and imagine how bloody good next season will be. Make every week a blockbuster.
Yep, tend to agree.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11834 times
Been liked: 3593 times

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:02 am

Bum Crack wrote:Is it just me, or do others not give a shit about footy happening this year? If there are to be no crowds, I have no interest whatsoever. If they do get up and play to empty stadiums, how irrelevant would the premiership feel to the supporters of the winning team. Just write off this year and imagine how bloody good next season will be. Make every week a blockbuster.

Can't argue with this, even with my team top of the table. 8)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:10 am

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2512 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:21 am

LMA wrote:

Surely they'd set up for conjugal visits.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:32 am

Magellan wrote:
LMA wrote:

Conjugal visits.

Lightning McQueen wrote:
LMA wrote:

Snap!
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:46 am

Magellan wrote:
Magellan wrote:
LMA wrote:

Conjugal visits.

Lightning McQueen wrote:
LMA wrote:

Snap!

:lol: :lol:
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:50 am

I know, I don't really have any interest in Supercoach or tipping comps now, either way it isn't going to be a "real" season.

Clubs such as yours will be disadvantaged IMO, with an older list the players and medical staff have modified trainings etc for the older blokes to manage them through the week, I can't see Gazza, Paddy or Selwood getting up after only a 5 day break on multiple occasions.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL