Adelaide Plains Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Adelaide Plains Football League

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:27 am

Pag wrote:
beef wrote:Probably different with APFL but will cricket clubs help out footy clubs in other leagues (especially metro). Always seems to be us vs them in regards to footy vs cricket and dont help each other too much especially if clubs are run separately and try to share facilities.

Yeah I can't imagine the SACA bending over to help Mitcham, TTG, Salisbury, ROCs, Henley, Westminster, Portland etc

Yep, anyone that plays at a ground that SACA uses will find it hard to compromise, most others rely on the football to survive.

Clubs like Salisbury and co. might have to find a 2nd home for the arse end of the season, purely hypothetical though.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby OnSong » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:33 am

Top 50 countdown started today with players 50-43 in the paper. Rolling out 8 per week and then two weeks for the top 10 to be announced
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:50 am

OnSong wrote:Top 50 countdown started today with players 50-43 in the paper. Rolling out 8 per week and then two weeks for the top 10 to be announced

Not posting in here?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby football tragic » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:00 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:
football tragic wrote:I still think in this state we will have a mid June start & in relation to integrity of the competition I think this year maybe one of the most enjoyable as it has made everyone sit up and realise we cannot take things for granted. I maybe speaking for myself here but my love of the game has only increased throughout this ordeal.

That would be awesome if it were to happen like that.
But, I can't see us playing any footy at all.
Even if some restrictions get lifted, there is talk social distancing measures will still be in place for some time, I can't see how playing football comes under social distancing.
Could see an outside chance of kids football getting a shortened season going since they are at school anyway, but not adults footy.
Hope I'm completely wrong as I don't have many playing years left but need to be real about it.

On the positive my golf game "should" improve. :lol:

I'm gaining confidence, albeit a 7 round season.

I would highly doubt a 7 game season surely they could make it into a 12 game season plus finals starting mid June
Season would end a few weeks later than last year and if cricket had to start a couple of weeks late wouldn't be an issue I wouldn't think.
7 game season hardly worth the effort.
football tragic
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Barossa District

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:14 pm

football tragic wrote:

I would highly doubt a 7 game season surely they could make it into a 12 game season plus finals starting mid June
Season would end a few weeks later than last year and if cricket had to start a couple of weeks late wouldn't be an issue I wouldn't think.

July would be the best case scenario IMO, football wont start before pubs re-open and the word on the street is that they are looking at a possible July date, that's with social distancing rules in place.

With the variance of the comp in recent years it would be unfair if it was anything other than a 7 or 14 round season, otherwise you'd need to review the top 4 finals set up.

This year will be more of just getting out there and having some form of comp, it's a pity no one has good enough lighting for a night match, could chuck in a couple of mid-weekers for the A Grade only.

I'm praying with you mate, I want to get out of the house on a Saturday again, and I reckon all of the cricket associations affected will work with the APFL & BL&GFA in getting a decent season in.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Gilligan » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:46 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
football tragic wrote:

July would be the best case scenario IMO, football wont start before pubs re-open and the word on the street is that they are looking at a possible July date, that's with social distancing rules in place.

With the variance of the comp in recent years it would be unfair if it was anything other than a 7 or 14 round season, otherwise you'd need to review the top 4 finals set up.

This year will be more of just getting out there and having some form of comp, it's a pity no one has good enough lighting for a night match, could chuck in a couple of mid-weekers for the A Grade only.

I'm praying with you mate, I want to get out of the house on a Saturday again, and I reckon all of the cricket associations affected will work with the APFL & BL&GFA in getting a decent season in.

Have heard probably late june early july start but still with all social distancing laws to be followed , this includes only having 100 people in outdoor venue at any one time which will make it difficult for clubs ie your under 17's from both clubs would need to have left oval before A grade could arrive ( 100 people 2 clubs with 2 teams equals 84 players only leaves 16 for coaches , umpires and trainers ) can't see country clubs really surviving with no spectators so no canteen or bar income but with the playing expenses of security to monitor number in oval at a time , cost of tape and other medical supplies plus other match costs ie umpires , footballs cost of cleaning jumpers .
Sometimes the old guys do know whats best
Gilligan
Rookie

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:03 pm

Gilligan wrote:
Have heard probably late june early july start but still with all social distancing laws to be followed , this includes only having 100 people in outdoor venue at any one time which will make it difficult for clubs ie your under 17's from both clubs would need to have left oval before A grade could arrive ( 100 people 2 clubs with 2 teams equals 84 players only leaves 16 for coaches , umpires and trainers ) can't see country clubs really surviving with no spectators so no canteen or bar income but with the playing expenses of security to monitor number in oval at a time , cost of tape and other medical supplies plus other match costs ie umpires , footballs cost of cleaning jumpers .

How do players social distance on a field though?

If Joe the footballer felt crap on Saturday morning he'd still rock up to play his game thinking he'll run it out and that he doesn't want to let his team mates or club down.

If Joe the spectator felt crap on Saturday morning he would more than likely just stay at home.

The passing of the virus would occur on the oval, not on the sideline, if one player tested positive then the remaining 41 players, plus umpires plus coaches and officials would all have to self isolate, then if the trainers also officiated in the B Grade game then all 42 players plus officials would have to self isolate.

Really need a vaccine to have any certainty in eradicating this.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Mythical Creature » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:02 pm

Gilligan wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
football tragic wrote:

Lol.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby football tragic » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:16 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:
Gilligan wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
football tragic wrote:

Lol.

Got something to add??
football tragic
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Barossa District

Postby Mythical Creature » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:26 pm

Nothing to add. Just love your optimism. I can't see any senior footy being played this year outside the afl level.
Certainly more optimistic than I am.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:18 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
football tragic wrote:

How do you reckon a cricket association would go asking the football association if they can go a month longer?
Think that answers your question as to whether football could push into cricket season.

Total waste of time playing footy unless they can have a proper gate, bar and canteen. Not only a waste of time clubs, couldnt afford it.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times

Postby OnSong » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:40 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
football tragic wrote:

How do you reckon a cricket association would go asking the football association if they can go a month longer?
Think that answers your question as to whether football could push into cricket season.

Total waste of time playing footy unless they can have a proper gate, bar and canteen. Not only a waste of time clubs, couldnt afford it.

Sponsorship has been decimated. Unless everyone plays for free, it's going to be an expensive exercise for some clubs.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:05 am

daysofourlives wrote:

Don't member clubs make up the cricket associations? Don't delegates put forward notions for other delegates to vote on?

I think you've taken half of my comments into context as I totally believe what you've written in your last line, unless football is how it always is it wont happen, if you haven't got a full compliment of cars surrounding the oval with plenty of beers and pies getting sold then there is no point at all.

You don't have to be Einstein to work out that football generates far more money than cricket so at a guess the member clubs would want football (at it's full capacity) to be extended to get some cash flow happening before the lull of cricket season.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:06 am

OnSong wrote:Sponsorship has been decimated. Unless everyone plays for free, it's going to be an expensive exercise for some clubs.

We need a total lift on restrictions to be able to go ahead with a season. There wouldn't be too many clubs around that could pay their way with no income coming in.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Greggy Gregginson » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:31 pm

NT government just released their plan for getting things back up and running.
If everything goes to plan, they’ll have everything back up and running inside the territory in a month’s time, which includes sport with no crowd limits.

Obviously they’ve got a smaller population and need everything to continue to go as planned, but I can’t see any reason why SA wouldn’t be able to roll out the same changes, as long as things continue as they are currently and borders stay closed.

Hopefully a light at the end of the tunnel.

The small upside of this, if you want to see it that way, is that the salary cap may actually get followed now that clubs will find it harder to afford to go over the limit! (Not that I believe this is an issue in the APFL currently)
Greggy Gregginson
Rookie

Has liked: 12 times

Postby Greggy Gregginson » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:35 pm

Greggy Gregginson wrote:NT government just released their plan for getting things back up and running.
If everything goes to plan, they’ll have everything back up and running inside the territory in a month’s time, which includes sport with no crowd limits.

Obviously they’ve got a smaller population and need everything to continue to go as planned, but I can’t see any reason why SA wouldn’t be able to roll out the same changes, as long as things continue as they are currently and borders stay closed.

The small upside of this, if you want to see it that way, is that the salary cap may actually get followed now that clubs will find it harder to afford to go over the limit! (Not that I believe this is an issue in the APFL currently)

Probably worth noting that I believe social distancing (off the field) will still have to be followed (ie. 2 metres away per person), but I’m sure clubs could make this work if their club rooms weren’t big enough, by using outdoor marquees and gas heaters if required.
Yes it would be hard, but where there’s a will there’s a way.
Greggy Gregginson
Rookie

Has liked: 12 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:47 pm

Greggy Gregginson wrote:NT government just released their plan for getting things back up and running.

NT has had 28 cases since this began.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby heater31 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:25 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

NT has had 28 cases since this began.
It's also their cricket season..... plenty of space for a cricket side to fit into change rooms designed for footy teams!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:50 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

Don't member clubs make up the cricket associations? Don't delegates put forward notions for other delegates to vote on?

I think you've taken half of my comments into context as I totally believe what you've written in your last line, unless football is how it always is it wont happen, if you haven't got a full compliment of cars surrounding the oval with plenty of beers and pies getting sold then there is no point at all.

You don't have to be Einstein to work out that football generates far more money than cricket so at a guess the member clubs would want football (at it's full capacity) to be extended to get some cash flow happening before the lull of cricket season.

I think what youre missing is most cricket clubs have nothing to do with the football club in a financial sense. I cant think of one that i know of.
Just because football generates money and cricket doesnt does not mean football has any more rights to the ground than cricket. At least a cricket season could operate without crowds :D
Not sure what you mean by the delegates?
Im saying there would be two chances of football delaying the start or shortening their season for cricket, why should cricket move?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:12 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
I think what youre missing is most cricket clubs have nothing to do with the football club in a financial sense. I cant think of one that i know of.
Just because football generates money and cricket doesnt does not mean football has any more rights to the ground than cricket. At least a cricket season could operate without crowds :D
Not sure what you mean by the delegates?
Im saying there would be two chances of football delaying the start or shortening their season for cricket, why should cricket move?

Yeah mate, we're comparing apples to oranges it seems.

Most metro clubs are sports and social clubs that have various sports under their umbrella, I was under the assumption that clubs out your way would've been the same.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy