Horse Racing Tips & Discussion

Best Bets? Talking Odds? This is the place.

Re: Horse Racing Tips & Discussion

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 01, 2020 1:23 pm

JK wrote:
Spargo wrote:True story - I was at Flemington a few years ago with 3 mates who were all tied up in the racing industry one way or another. We’re alive in the quaddie going into the last leg. First leg paid $8, second $28, third $15. We’ve got five of the 13 runners in the last. They’re paying $2.80, $5, $8, $15 & $26.
We’ve got it going for 50%, approximates are $15k with the fave upwards of $46k with the $26 pop. We’ve got 1st, 2nd, 3rd as they cross the line in a photo. YES! The fave, the $5 shot & the roughie in the print. The fave just gets it over the roughie - nearly $16k difference in our return, F#CK! As they’re heading back to scale one of the blokes I was with goes over to the fence and tells the jockey on the second placed horse (who I won’t name), to protest against the winner. There was some “shifting in” in the straight he said. The jockey said it was minimal but he’d see. Next thing the protest siren sounds.
Second v first for interference in the final 200m of the home straight. I couldn’t believe what was going on (I learnt later this bloke had a lot of pull*)
Anyways 5, 10 then 15 minutes go by. “PROTEST UPHELD”
We pocketed just under $6k each.

Love reading yarns like this, that's a cracking story!! :D

Yeah, most of mine are around the other way.

When I was about 18-19 I went to the pub with my cricket mates as the rain came in, I always put money on anything that started with the name "Miss", I had $20 on something paying 25's and it lost in a photo, there was then a protest to which it was upheld.

I didn't realise at the time what upheld meant and ditched my ticket only to see my horse listed as the winner the next morning when I was reading the Sunday Mail, $500 clams 25 years ago would've been a huge night, it was a costly learning curve.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby JK » Fri May 01, 2020 1:24 pm

Not as juicy as Spargo's, but I remember being with my mate at the Lockley's Hotel for 2009 Melbourne Cup day. I used to always over capitalise on the Cup itself so that year I made a rule and said just the one W/P bet, so chucked $50ew on Shocking. Beautiful, thats worked out well. After that the suds are kicking in nicely combined with the knowledge it's not going to be a losing day. Mates losing all day then lands a $20 shot in the penultimate race and we're firing on all cylinders and decide to box 4 horses up for a Tri in the last. Get to the Tab counter, lady tells me one of them's scratched, so I get her to replace it with her favourite number. Watch the race, we have the 2nd place, Tab chick picked 3rd, but alas we've missed the winner. Check the ticket before discarding and wait a minute, we have all 3, WTF? Check the other side to find that I'd accidentally brushed over No. 8 with the faintest stroke of the pen, so that had been included. Think it turned our $20 into $900 :)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 01, 2020 1:25 pm

JK wrote:Not as juicy as Spargo's, but I remember being with my mate at the Lockley's Hotel for 2009 Melbourne Cup day. I used to always over capitalise on the Cup itself so that year I made a rule and said just the one W/P bet, so chucked $50ew on Shocking. Beautiful, thats worked out well. After that the suds are kicking in nicely combined with the knowledge it's not going to be a losing day. Mates losing all day then lands a $20 shot in the penultimate race and we're firing on all cylinders and decide to box 4 horses up for a Tri in the last. Get to the Tab counter, lady tells me one of them's scratched, so I get her to replace it with her favourite number. Watch the race, we have the 2nd place, Tab chick picked 3rd, but alas we've missed the winner. Check the ticket before discarding and wait a minute, we have all 3, WTF? Check the other side to find that I'd accidentally brushed over No. 8 with the faintest stroke of the pen, so that had been included. Think it turned our $20 into $900 :)

:lol: :lol:
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 01, 2020 1:31 pm

JK wrote:Not as juicy as Spargo's, but I remember being with my mate at the Lockley's Hotel for 2009 Melbourne Cup day. I used to always over capitalise on the Cup itself so that year I made a rule and said just the one W/P bet, so chucked $50ew on Shocking. Beautiful, thats worked out well. After that the suds are kicking in nicely combined with the knowledge it's not going to be a losing day. Mates losing all day then lands a $20 shot in the penultimate race and we're firing on all cylinders and decide to box 4 horses up for a Tri in the last. Get to the Tab counter, lady tells me one of them's scratched, so I get her to replace it with her favourite number. Watch the race, we have the 2nd place, Tab chick picked 3rd, but alas we've missed the winner. Check the ticket before discarding and wait a minute, we have all 3, WTF? Check the other side to find that I'd accidentally brushed over No. 8 with the faintest stroke of the pen, so that had been included. Think it turned our $20 into $900 :)

When Willie Pike is on a favourite we always go Field/Willie/Field, last year we're in the pub and there were 3 of us with a kitty in front of us when on one of the screens 14 minutes away Ascot R4 with Pike as the fave.

Someone spots it and we all agree to bet on it, we were taking turns in filling out the tickets unless you won, then you kept going, the race comes on, a screaming $80 roughie gets up, Willie 2nd then another zebra-like mule gets 3rd, we're hi-fiving waiting for the screen to show us like a $10K tri when I asked where's the ticket? No one filled it out!!!

It still gets a mention from the locals at the pub when we go there.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Spargo » Fri May 01, 2020 1:32 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

When Willie Pike is on a favourite we always go Field/Willie/Field, last year we're in the pub and there were 3 of us with a kitty in front of us when on one of the screens 14 minutes away Ascot R4 with Pike as the fave.

Someone spots it and we all agree to bet on it, we were taking turns in filling out the tickets unless you won, then you kept going, the race comes on, a screaming $80 roughie gets up, Willie 2nd then another zebra-like mule gets 3rd, we're hi-fiving waiting for the screen to show us like a $10K tri when I asked where's the ticket? No one filled it out!!!

It still gets a mention from the locals at the pub when we go there.

Ouch.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 01, 2020 1:37 pm

Spargo wrote:Ouch.

Isn't it funny how whenever you f*** a bet up or miss the jump you are compelled to see how much you missed out on?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Fri May 01, 2020 1:42 pm

I am not even in you blokes league..... MUG Punter personified here!

2016 Melbourne Cup day - I was, shall we say "in-between" jobs at the time. Thought to myself, I am going to enjoy Cup Day this year, as I am normally at work. That said, had been to a few work related luncheons, including being at Morphettville when Makybe Diva saluted for a 3rd time in a row.

Back to 2016, we had a few people around, cranked up the BBQ, had a few coldies, and I put a stack of bets on early in the day......and was not really checking on them all that much, I know I missed the winner of the cup, think it was the Michelle Payne ride (Pirates of Penzance?) anywho, I backed the next couple of winners, including a 20/1 pop.

Checked the account the next day & I had picked up about $450..... I declared that's it, I am becoming a pro punter, **** work!

I lost it all, and them some on Oaks day!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 01, 2020 1:46 pm

What's everyone's biggest win?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Fri May 01, 2020 1:55 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:What's everyone's biggest win?

mine is bugger all but my missus has had some good wins. She jagged a $76k quaddie a few years ago and had 25% and she's had a $44k quaddie prior to that. I was playing golf at the time and she called me to let me know she'd got it and I was playing with the Finance Manager for the Berri Hotel at the time. I told him about it and how I thought she was taking the piss. Next minute he gets a call from the pub as she'd gone in to collect and he wanted to know if it was ok to give her $10k cash and do a cheque for the balance. We got poleaxed that night.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Booney » Fri May 01, 2020 1:57 pm

$4250 from 50% of a quaddie in Brisbane about 8 years ago.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 01, 2020 2:16 pm

Bum Crack wrote:

mine is bugger all but my missus has had some good wins. She jagged a $76k quaddie a few years ago and had 25% and she's had a $44k quaddie prior to that. I was playing golf at the time and she called me to let me know she'd got it and I was playing with the Finance Manager for the Berri Hotel at the time. I told him about it and how I thought she was taking the piss. Next minute he gets a call from the pub as she'd gone in to collect and he wanted to know if it was ok to give her $10k cash and do a cheque for the balance. We got poleaxed that night.

****!!! Is she really cluey with the nags or just pot luck?

I find that I do better when I don't think about things, if I go to the pub with the mindset of pinking the same numbers every race I generally do alright if I'm patient enough.

I like picking 6 to beat 1,2,3,4,5 in a tri.
Boxing 1,2,3,10,11 or 10,11,12,13,14.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 01, 2020 2:20 pm

Booney wrote:

$4250 from 50% of a quaddie in Brisbane about 8 years ago.

Pretty handy, I've seen my brother collect $8500 from a trotting tri and 5 of us won $5600 between us the next Saturday night, we chucked $10 in each and picked a horse each but we weren't allowed to pick the fave.

One Thursday night I was doing $3 tri's on the dogs picking 7 to beat 2,3 and 4, I won $1600 one race and then flicked over to sky 2 and won $800 2 minutes later with the same numbers.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri May 01, 2020 2:23 pm

I had the Trif that Melb Cup, I had just dropped into the Rosewater Pub after knocking off work early but I had to go to the tab to collect it. Cant remember exactly how much it was, might have been around the $4.5k mark.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Bum Crack » Fri May 01, 2020 2:25 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:

****!!! Is she really cluey with the nags or just pot luck?

I find that I do better when I don't think about things, if I go to the pub with the mindset of pinking the same numbers every race I generally do alright if I'm patient enough.

I like picking 6 to beat 1,2,3,4,5 in a tri.
Boxing 1,2,3,10,11 or 10,11,12,13,14.

She used to punt all the time. Would get the winning post, best bets and Advertiser form guide and study every Friday night until midnight and up first thing sat morning to listen to race previews etc. She was a very good punter but when she took up golf a couple years ago, she basically stopped as she didn't have the time to study them. She only has one bet a week now (the top weight in Melbourne in the last every Saturday). That has always been her omen bet from day one.
Yep
No
Bum Crack
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 01, 2020 2:29 pm

Bum Crack wrote:She used to punt all the time. Would get the winning post, best bets and Advertiser form guide and study every Friday night until midnight and up first thing sat morning to listen to race previews etc. She was a very good punter but when she took up golf a couple years ago, she basically stopped as she didn't have the time to study them. She only has one bet a week now (the top weight in Melbourne in the last every Saturday). That has always been her omen bet from day one.

Come through often?

I seem to find that R8 at Morphy each Saturday is rough as guts, and it often involves Ryan Hurdle somewhere amongst the placings.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Fri May 01, 2020 2:30 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:She used to punt all the time. Would get the winning post, best bets and Advertiser form guide and study every Friday night until midnight and up first thing sat morning to listen to race previews etc. She was a very good punter but when she took up golf a couple years ago, she basically stopped as she didn't have the time to study them. She only has one bet a week now (the top weight in Melbourne in the last every Saturday). That has always been her omen bet from day one.

Come through often?

I seem to find that R8 at Morphy each Saturday is rough as guts, and it often involves Ryan Hurdle somewhere amongst the placings.

she used to do very well.
Yep
No
Bum Crack
Coach

Postby Spargo » Fri May 01, 2020 2:51 pm

We were at Oakbank around 25 years ago and they had jumped in Brisbane. We knew this because we had a Walkman with head phones but the on course speaker had cut out and the bookies weren’t near the tv screens. They’ve kept their odds up, the three of us were listening to this thing kick clear with 200m to go, look over and the odds are still up! We rush over and empty our pockets - every cent we had - and back this thing between the 2 bookies. We got $8 about it. When we went to collect, the penciller yelled out to the bookie “These are the c#nts that got on after the race”. The bookie was ropable, literally shaking with rage. He was spitting as he yelled at us. Called us every name in the book.
But he had to pay us ;)

Spargo
Coach

Postby heater31 » Fri May 01, 2020 3:01 pm

Spargo wrote: When we went to collect, the penciller yelled out to the bookie “These are the c#nts that got on after the race”. The bookie was ropable, literally shaking with rage. He was spitting as he yelled at us. Called us every name in the book.
But he had to pay us ;)

Well who is the dumb **** leaving the odds up and accepting the bet [emoji849]
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Spargo » Fri May 01, 2020 3:02 pm

heater31 wrote:
Spargo wrote: When we went to collect, the penciller yelled out to the bookie “These are the c#nts that got on after the race”. The bookie was ropable, literally shaking with rage. He was spitting as he yelled at us. Called us every name in the book.
But he had to pay us ;)

Well who is the dumb **** leaving the odds up and accepting the bet [emoji849]

He didn’t have a leg to stand on. We knew it, he knew it.
We did bet elsewhere for the rest of the day after that.

Spargo
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri May 01, 2020 3:05 pm

Not a big win.
But it was at Angle Park easter thursday, I was on track.
Wanted $25 place bet.
Go outside and assume my position and check my tickets...she put it through at $250.
Ran a place and collected down the other end of Chasers restaurant....
It did only pay $1.00 place but it was a bonus....

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  The Gambling Room