Jack Oatey Medallists

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: Jack Oatey Medallists

Postby DOC » Sun May 03, 2020 9:06 pm

Good questions MAL to which I do not know the answers.

RIG.

Thanks for such a detailed account.

South award their best first year player the David Kantilla Memorial Trophy .
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Postby robranisgod » Sun May 03, 2020 9:24 pm

mal wrote:Interesting transition for South Adelaide coaches leading to the 1964 Premiership under Neil Kerley
1960 ....3-15 Fos Williams
1961 ....5-14 Bill Sutherland
1962.....3-16 Bill Sutherland
1963.....2-18 Bill Sutherland and Dennis Parham

Neil Kerley took over with a 17-3 minor round in 1964, in an amazing transition
Was there anything Bill Sutherland and to a lesser extent Dennis Parham contributed to the 64 success ?

In 1961 + 1962 David Soapy Kantilla won South Adelaides best and fairest awards under Bill Sutherland
So does Bill Sutherlands coaching of David Kantilla deserve a mention, as he might be a contributing reason why Kantilla became the great footballer he was ?
Did Bill Sutherland also nuture some players that matured and played well under Neil Kerley ?

Certainly my young recollections and also what I have been told was that Bill Sutherland was slowly building a side, similar to Robert Oatey at Norwood later in the decade. If you look at the South premiership side, most of the players debuted under Sutherland, I mentioned a few of the stars in my post. He also debuted other very steady players such as Tony Shaw and Dick Roenfeldt and gave regular games in the positions to which they became permanent fixtures in the team to Graham Durbridge and the wingmen, Bryan Ploenges and Gerry O'Brien. Under his coaching South also recruited Ian Day and Lester Ross from other clubs, players who became important members of the 1964 premiership side. Having said that, it is hard to imagine South winning the flag in 1964 if Kerley hadn't come. Not only was he an inspirational coach but at this stage he was still at the peak of his powers as a player and it gave South another A-grade player. Also in 1964 they recruited Allan White, a very tough, courageous rover who later played Interstate football.
I think Bill did a lot towards building the team but I wouldn't consider that his coaching of Soapy had much to do with him being a great footballer. He was a "natural" as evidenced by the fact that he won Best and Fairest Awards in his first two seasons.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 227 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby mal » Sun May 03, 2020 10:20 pm

Round 1
Kensington Oval
1961 SANFL season

GL 5-7...7-8...14-10...15-13[103]
SA 3-2....9-6...11-11..13-16 [94]

Bill Sutherland was the coach in this game that featured the debut of Amparralamtua, better known as David Kantilla
This was the match David Kantilla debuted in, he kicked 6 goals

Heres what a SANFL football historian once quoted about David Soapy Kantilla
David Kantilla was a sensational footballer
Folklore says the biggest problem South had with Kantilla was getting him to wear footy boots

Ive seen David Kantilla on the old black and white reels , hardly enough to base a definitive opinion
Is there a footballer similar in style to Soapy ?

Advertiser journo Merv Agars had David Kantilla as being the best player on the ground
Last edited by mal on Sun May 03, 2020 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 903 times

Postby robranisgod » Sun May 03, 2020 10:55 pm

mal wrote:
Ive seen David Kantilla on the old black and white reels , hardly enough to base a definitive opinion
Is there a footballer similar in style to Soapy ?

I would say the two closest players I have seen to Soapy are the old South Fremantle and Western Australian ruckman, Stephen Michael and currently there is a bit of similarity with Nic Natanui.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby mal » Sun May 03, 2020 10:58 pm

Round 16
South Adelaide v North Adelaide
Adelaide Oval

With 2 rounds left after this match, South although 2 games in front of Glenelg by Rd16 , needed to win a game to guarentee not finishing bottom
Fos Williams was the South coach in 1960, the only tenure he had with the panthers

SA ...2-4...4-7...7-13...9-16[70]
NA...3-2...9-6...9-9...11-14[80]

Probably a decent effort by South, as North went on to win the 1960 premiership
Here are the South players listed in the football budget that day

1 D PANIZZA
3 D KIMBER
4 R JACKSON
5 B PLOENGES
6 P WILSON
7 R KUPSCH
8 D PARKINSON[ not the iconic Australian singer]
9 G DURBRIDGE
11 A BARAGLIA
12 A HARRIS
14 D PARHAM [who later took over as coach during the 1963 season]
15 R MORTIMER
16 R KITCHEN [ used to work with Ron, an absolute gentleman, and a TV commentator]
18 B BROWNE
19 G OBREIN
20 M CHIRGWIN
23 T ROENFELDT
24 T MORTON
26 T HILDER
27 K DOYLE

The names that played in this game and in the 1964 flag were

DURBRIDGE
JACKSON
OBREIN
PLOENGES

I will list the NA team as well, for another poster on this thread ...

1 D LINDNER
3 T LINDNER
4 M MONTGOMERRY
5 B BARBARY [Barrie who won the medal in 1960, played well in the famous 1963 SA V VIC win , who later played for Woodville]
6 P BOTROFF
7 B GAMBLING
8 A CHEEK
9 J BUBNER
10 M WHITFORD [this is Mal who later played for South]
11 B KENT
12 A FAGGOTTER
14 W THOMAS [the famous cheeky whistler]
15 R PASCOE
16 T HUGHES[This is Trevor who later played for West Adelaide , and was half of the Hughes and Loveday sports store business]
17 P SHEPPARD
18 BOB HAMMOND [who later played at Norwood and bless him as he then coached Norwood to the 1975 + 1978 flags]
19 M WESTLEY
20 R CARROLL
21 S PALMER[ not Stuart that played for South]
22 C S HEADING
23 G GUTSCHE
Last edited by mal on Sun May 03, 2020 11:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mal
Coach

Postby DOC » Sun May 03, 2020 11:11 pm

I know you like your cricket connections MAL.

Number 8 D Parkinson

David Parkinson, played 108 games for South, lived at Beaumont (tied to South when he started), Kensington District Cricket Club Captain and father of Sam, a Sheffield Shield winning fast bowler.

It is very hard to think that Beaumont was once in Souths zone.
DOC
Coach

Postby mal » Sun May 03, 2020 11:35 pm

Doc
That game SA V NA was played on 20/8/1960
Sam Parkinson was born 12 days before on 8/8/1960

I used to follow and watch Sams cricketing career with interest , as he was good mates with some of my cricketing mates
Sam had personality plus , a very good fast bowler, who reminds me a bit of current NZ fast bowler Neil Wagner
mal
Coach

Postby DOC » Sun May 03, 2020 11:49 pm

Sam is my darts opponent and sometimes partner at our local RSL. A funny man who is good company.

He also played some underage footy at South and is a born again supporter. He will mind me for saying this but probably the shortest fast bowler to take over 100 first class wickets.
DOC
Coach

Postby robranisgod » Mon May 04, 2020 9:58 am

mal wrote:5 B BARBARY [Barrie who won the medal in 1960, played well in the famous 1963 SA V VIC win , who later played for Woodville]

To say Barrie Barbary played well in the famous 1953 SA vs Victoria win is a bit like saying Don Bradman was a good batsman. Barbary was best on the ground in that game and received a trophy as chosen by the Victorian selectors as SA's best player and he was also chosen as Footballer of the Week by the Advertiser writers after that memorable victory.
He went to Woodville after a stint in the country and he was well and truly past his best by then.
He is also John Cahill's first cousin and they represented the state on the two wings together nearly 20 times. They were the opposite in builds though, Barbary was known as the pocket battleship and Cahill of course, was lightly built.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby mal » Mon May 04, 2020 9:39 pm

Victoria v South Australia
MCG

V1...2-1...3-4...7-9...10-13[73]
SA...4.1...8-3...9-4...12-8 [80]

Best players SA
Barbary, Cahill, Sawley, Motley, Eustice, Kerley, Wedding

Some of the best listed players are mentioned in this thread
Geoff Motley and the deli at Alberton
Neil Kerley who coached David Kantilla
And the 2 best players for South Australia, the cousins Barrie Barbary and Johnny Cahill !
mal
Coach

Postby JK » Tue May 05, 2020 10:46 am

I recall Barry Barbary's lad being a useful player for Sturt in the early 80's - Do we know how/why he ended up at Unley instead of Prospect?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue May 05, 2020 10:53 am

I recall Barry Barbary coming to my family house at Pt Wakefield to see if I wanted to play for the mighty Peckers - it wouldn't be unfair to say he was a better player than talent spotter.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby RB » Tue May 05, 2020 1:25 pm

mal wrote:1963
Victoria v South Australia
MCG

V1...2-1...3-4...7-9...10-13[73]
SA...4.1...8-3...9-4...12-8 [80]

Best players SA
Barbary, Cahill, Sawley, Motley, Eustice, Kerley, Wedding

Some of the best listed players are mentioned in this thread
Geoff Motley and the deli at Alberton
Neil Kerley who coached David Kantilla
And the 2 best players for South Australia, the cousins Barrie Barbary and Johnny Cahill !

Immediately after the final siren sounded in this match this picture was taken of the South Australian bench. The picture appeared in the paper the Sunday/Monday after.

I've always wondered at why it's so dark. Everything behind the first row of seats is black.

Now the match started at (the rather South Australian time of) 2.20 p.m.

According to The Age that day, the maximum temperature was 62 degrees (17 degrees C) but becoming cloudy late in the day.

The match would have finished about 4.45 p.m. and sunset was at 5.06 p.m. although it would not have been fully dark for a good half-hour after that.

Yes, it would have been fairly dull at the end of the game - with no lights - but no darker than 4.45 p.m. on any other overcast midwinter day.

I suppose it was something to do with the camera which may have been pretty basic back in 1963. It's just always puzzled me because it looks like the picture was taken at night.
Attachments
7877c_SAbench1963.jpg
7877c_SAbench1963.jpg (14.73 KiB) Viewed 3110 times
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby robranisgod » Tue May 05, 2020 3:18 pm

JK wrote:I recall Barry Barbary's lad being a useful player for Sturt in the early 80's - Do we know how/why he ended up at Unley instead of Prospect?

Craig Barbary, who played for Sturt was no relation, or at least not a close relation, to Barrie. Craig previously had played for Essendon and had been recruited from Woomelang in Victoria. Woomelang is midway between Mildura and Horsham.

Barrie Barbary coached Woodville in 1972 and 1973.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby robranisgod » Tue May 05, 2020 10:53 pm

So on to 1965. For most of the season, Port and South seemed a cut above the rest of the competition and they finished the Minor Round with the double chance. Coming to the last Minor Round game Sturt were out of the 4 and the two rivals for the four, Norwood and North were favourites in their respective games. Sturt were playing bottom side Woodville where as Norwood were playing Central at Adelaide and North had the hardest game, playing South at Prospect, but North were in good form having as so often has happened over the years, beaten Port at Alberton. Both Norwood and North lost and Sturt snuck into the four but weren't considered a threat.
Sturt did dispose of Norwood comfortably in the first semi and then Port beat South after the siren with a long goal from Peter Mead. South were red hot favourites to beat Sturt as they had the previous year in the Preliminary Final. But young Paul Bagshaw put on a clinic, John Halbert scored 6 goals and "Emmy" Jones scored 5 and Sturt prevailed by 7 points. The last 10 minutes of that game is on You Tube and at the start of the excerpt an incredibly dubious mark was paid to Sturt Full Back Bruce Jarrett rather than to Soapy Kantilla in the goal square that would have pur South in front.
Despite Sturt's win against South, no one gave them a chance against Port. And for over three quarters of the game, the pundits were right. Despite occasional flashes of brilliance Sturt were down by 35 points. But then, Tony Clarkson, the Sturt beanpole ruckman, absolutely took charge. He had won the rucks all day but he was now dominating Sturt got to within 3 points with about 5 minutes to play but missed golden opportunities to win the game when John Halbert, Darryl Hicks and Brenton Adcock, up from the back pocket all kicked out of bounds when within close range of goal. Sturt may have lost but it was clear to everyone there that we were witnessing the birth of a great side.
Tony "Doc" Clarkson, who was Peter Argent's nomination for best on ground, had played 2 league games for Sturt in 1959 but then concentrated on his medical studies and played amateur league football for University. He twice won the Hone Medal as Best and Fairest in the A1 Amateur League. He only returned to Sturt in 1964 to answer an SOS when their number one ruckmen was seriously injured when hit by a car on Peacock Road on the city parkland fringe. Doc dominated from the time he came back to Sturt.
A genuine "bean-pole" ruckman, it was said that the Sturt rovers weighed more than him, he won Sturt's Best and Fairest in 1965 and again in 1967. Quite a feat when you consider the champions Sturt had at the time. He also represented the State on 6 occasions. He achieved all this whilst completing medical studies which saw him eventually become a Professor of nephrology, or for us laymen all things kidney related.
He retired from football in 1968 and went to Edinburgh in Scotland for 3 1/2 years. When he returned to Adelaide he was the first director of the newly created Renal Unit at the RAH.
Obviously a brilliant man in all facets of life, he was a generous and amiable man with a great wit.
In later life he returned to Sturt as a medical officer for them and also a board member whilst still having a huge influence on Medicine and Nephrology in particular,.
He passed away in 2010 at age 70 and is missed to this day.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby mal » Wed May 06, 2020 12:15 am

1965 a strange season for Norwood
RD 1 they played WDV and had the dubious distinction of being the first established club to lose to WDV
13- 8 Woodville
8-12 Norwood
In 1964 WDV won 3 matches all against CD

When NW lost that round 1 match , legend has it that Hayden Bunton who was returning to coach Norwood after his successful period at Swan Districts, got lost going to Woodville Oval , having not been there before !

Then in the last round all NW had to do is defeat the other rookie team, CD to secure a finals spot and lost
NW 9-15
CD 11-7
Fortunately for NW, SA defeated NA in the last round, and NW made the 1965 finals

It may not have been a BIG upset CD beating NW in the last minor round match
After round 10 CD had won only 1 match, that against WDV
They won 7 of their last 10 games and finished thier 2nd SANFL season off very well

Doc Clarkson was the Peter Argent nomination for a defacto Jack Oatey Medal
I need confirmation on this one, as Ive had trouble with this fact
Clarkson was a slim and light for a ruckman
I think because of his build , Clarkson was the pioneer for a Jack Oatey inspired tactic called checkside rucking ?

1965 FINALS

1ST SEMI
ST15-12 [102]
NW 6-21 [47]
Same amount of scoring shots and a 45 point win to ST
Then there were 3 close remaining finals

2ND SEMI
PA 17-10
SA 16-11

PRELIM
SA 12-15
ST 14-10
Had SA won this, it could have stopped a '''complete'' ST Grand finals dominance in 1966-1970
SA led by 16 points at 3/4 time

GRAND FINAL
PA 3-3..6-3...11-7...12-8[80]
ST 2-1...6-2....7-2....12-5[77]
ST for the second week in a row had a productive last quarter
ST, as mentioned by RIG, had a few chances late in the GF
The teams met 3 times in 1965
PA led by 34 points at half time at Unley and won by 3 points
PA led by 20 points at half time at Alberton and won by 7 points
PA led the GF by 29 points at 3/4 time and won by 5 points
Ironically ST lost another close GF final 13 years later, when they led NW by 29 points at 3/4 time and lost by 1 point
mal
Coach

Postby mal » Wed May 06, 2020 1:14 am

1940 CITY V PATRIOTIC GAME
3/8/1940
Adelaide Oval

This game was played because there was no SA V VI interstate game played

CITY..........4-5....13-8....20-8.....23-14 [152]
COUNTRY 5-6...6-11...15-16...17-23 [125]

Players in the country team included :
Hartley Bagshaw, of ST, who is the father of Paul Mr Magic Bagshaw
Hartley once said " I did my best work for Sturt in the bedroom !"

Bruce Schultz the brilliant NW full forward, who in 1941 kicked his 100th goal in round 13
It was his last ever goal he did his knee in the same game, ending a career of 699 goals

Ken Obst of PA father of Trevor bubbles Obst, the 1963 Peter Argent nomination for this thread

Players in the city team included :
Bob Quinn the PA champ and a dual magarey medalist and a coach of PA
A Bob Quinn medal is awarded to the best player in the SANFL Anzac day matches

Tom Warhurst senior , NW , who almost won a magarey medal, was an excellent tennis player, whose son Tom played for NW
Tom senior was also a popular TV and radio commentator

Ken Farmer the amazing NA full forward

Big Bob Mclean NW/PA/SK played as a ruckman and later was to become a legendary and long serving admin man at PA
He once made a double century playing for SA against QL in the Sheffield Shield

Mel Brock the great GL player and clubman who won the magarey medal that year of 1940
50+ years year later the great Mel Brock showed me and let me hold his magarey medal

Ken Farmer kicked 8 goals
Bruce Schultz kicked 7 goals

There was a late inclusion in this match for the country team
He is listed as number 23
His performance by several was considered worthy of being best on ground
That player was Jack Oatey
mal
Coach

Postby JK » Wed May 06, 2020 10:20 am

robranisgod wrote:
JK wrote:I recall Barry Barbary's lad being a useful player for Sturt in the early 80's - Do we know how/why he ended up at Unley instead of Prospect?

Craig Barbary, who played for Sturt was no relation, or at least not a close relation, to Barrie. Craig previously had played for Essendon and had been recruited from Woomelang in Victoria. Woomelang is midway between Mildura and Horsham.

Barrie Barbary coached Woodville in 1972 and 1973.

Thanks RIG, can't remember if I knew that but had forgotten lol.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Magellan » Wed May 06, 2020 3:30 pm

Again, more great stuff guys, really enjoying reading the memories and accounts of yesteryear. Keep up the good work!
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby DOC » Wed May 06, 2020 4:59 pm

Same. Very enjoyable.

MAL I will ask a Sturt mate of mine about Clarkson and report back any news.
DOC
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum