Adelaide Plains Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Adelaide Plains Football League

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 05, 2020 3:44 pm

magpieeagle wrote:
football tragic wrote:From what I have seen he is extremely talented and gets himself into the right positions for the role he plays

Changing topics a little about season 2020
Who do we think will be the big improvers and sliders as looking at the transfers not much will change I don't think
Virginia look like they have some talent coming but some huge losses including Stanley who I rate as the best player in the comp
United look the same few ins ( possibly Hocking) but some quality outs.

whats everyone elses thoughts?

And if its only a maybe 8-10 game, if that, Plains Producer medal? do you have one?

Absolutely you do, I'm sure there would be joint winners though.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby football tragic » Tue May 05, 2020 3:49 pm

Agreed still need the medal for sure
Cant see any reason if there was a June start to not play more games either.
football tragic
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Barossa District

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 05, 2020 4:03 pm

football tragic wrote:Agreed still need the medal for sure
Cant see any reason if there was a June start to not play more games either.

Would need a June 13 start to fit 14 rounds in and have the GF on the October long weekend, that's with Saturday/Sunday semi's.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 05, 2020 4:05 pm

football tragic wrote:From what I have seen he is extremely talented and gets himself into the right positions for the role he plays

Changing topics a little about season 2020
Who do we think will be the big improvers and sliders as looking at the transfers not much will change I don't think
Virginia look like they have some talent coming but some huge losses including Stanley who I rate as the best player in the comp
United look the same few ins ( possibly Hocking) but some quality outs.

whats everyone elses thoughts?

Stanley has the slickest hands I've seen for a while, him and Bartlett worked very well together, they just knew where each other were.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby magpieeagle » Wed May 06, 2020 12:32 pm

Talking to a little bird today, 1 monition being talked about, depending on a SANFL announcement Monday, will possibly a July start, After starting training mid June, playing each other once then September finals as not to clash with cricket, apparently some clubs are struggling financially and maybe unable to host home games .
magpieeagle
Reserves

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 06, 2020 12:58 pm

magpieeagle wrote:Talking to a little bird today, 1 monition being talked about, depending on a SANFL announcement Monday, will possibly a July start, After starting training mid June, playing each other once then September finals as not to clash with cricket, apparently some clubs are struggling financially and maybe unable to host home games .

That's pretty much how I've visualised what is likely to happen.

Wouldn't hosting games be the most beneficial way to bring money in?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Swamp Donkey » Wed May 06, 2020 2:40 pm

magpieeagle wrote:Talking to a little bird today, 1 monition being talked about, depending on a SANFL announcement Monday, will possibly a July start, After starting training mid June, playing each other once then September finals as not to clash with cricket, apparently some clubs are struggling financially and maybe unable to host home games .

This seems the most logical way forward for the APFL. It would be a great outcome IMO.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby Mythical Creature » Wed May 06, 2020 3:29 pm

How can any club be struggling financially? Yes, there is power to pay but there is no real expenses.
How is playing away games cheaper and going to financially save clubs.
This part makes no sense to me.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby football tragic » Wed May 06, 2020 5:03 pm

So if games are allowed to be played early to mid June the APFL would wait until July to start???
That would be ridiculous in my opinion as a june start would mean more games played and more opportunity to gather money from sponsors etc.
What financial impacts have club encountered by missing 3 games thus far?
I think it maybe the clubs who have very highly paid players who refuse to play for smaller amounts that maybe posing the issue for some.
football tragic
Rookie

Postby Dirty dog » Wed May 06, 2020 5:19 pm

Is that with or without crowds??
No crowds No footy!
Dirty dog
Under 18s

Been liked: 187 times
Grassroots Team: Kadina

Postby magpieeagle » Wed May 06, 2020 6:20 pm

Following announcements by the Prime Minister on Friday 1 May, SANFL is currently reviewing the AIS Framework for Rebooting Sport in a post COVID-19 environment and preparing a return to play framework for both State League and Community Football in South Australia, including training.

As part of this comprehensive return to play road map, this week we will be making a submission outlining protocols for the resumption of training to SA Health, as required by the Office of Recreation, Sport and Racing. These protocols also must meet requirements of the Federal Government National Guidelines for the Resumption of Sport and Recreation activities.

Approved return to play procedures are the only way to ensure football has the opportunity to return to normality with a continuous season.

We therefore ask for your continued patience and understanding as we work through these protocols and continue to play our part in ensuring the health and wellbeing of not only our participants, but the broader community.

As previously communicated, we are hopeful of providing a detailed announcement about both SANFL Community Football and State League’s return to play by mid-May.

Until such time that specific protocols are approved by State Government, formal club training and organised group activities cannot commence.

The AIS Framework for Rebooting Sport documents are available for download from the SANFL COVID-19 Resources website .
magpieeagle
Reserves

Postby Greggy Gregginson » Wed May 06, 2020 6:39 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:

How can any club be struggling financially? Yes, there is power to pay but there is no real expenses.

Totally agree re. clubs struggling financially.
As it stands, clubs should have had virtually no outgoing expenses, unless they employ people.
Surely that doesn’t happen in the APFL?

Pending government announcements, I’m hoping the season gets going in early/mid-June.
Obviously this depends on when clubs are allowed to start training, although I’m optimistically expecting to be able to start next week week.
I’m also assuming that there’ll be guidelines set out by the state government as to when larger events (up to 500-1000 people) will be able to take place as well, which will be the real indicator as to when footy seasons can begin.

Will be very interesting to see how many games the APFL want to fit into the season as well - an example, if we had everyone play each other twice and the season started June 13th, we’d be done by the last week of September if Saturday/Sunday finals were played.
This would also mean 14 matches without any byes though, which may be a stretch.

Another, more interesting way to go would be that everyone plays each other once, then the competition split into 2 groups based on their ladder placing (Group A 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th. Group B 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th) and everyone plays each other within their group. From there, the top team in each group plays the second team in the opposing group and the winners play off in the grand final.
This would ensure that everyone plays each other once in the initial round, and can only play a team twice (unless 2 teams from the same group meet in the GF), as well as giving every team 10 regular season games and making room for a bye at some point during the season.
Certainly an out of the box idea, but i think it’s a great opportunity to do something different for a year to keep things interesting in what will most likely be a shortened season.
Greggy Gregginson
Rookie

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 06, 2020 6:55 pm

There might still be restrictions on running a bar, BBQ & canteen therefore getting income into the club will be problematic.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3499 times

Postby magpieeagle » Wed May 06, 2020 6:58 pm

Greggy Gregginson wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:

As it stands, clubs should have had virtually no outgoing expenses, unless they employ people.

Pending government announcements, I’m hoping the season gets going in early/mid-June.
Obviously this depends on when clubs are allowed to start training, although I’m optimistically expecting to be able to start next week week.
I’m also assuming that there’ll be guidelines set out by the state government as to when larger events (up to 500-1000 people) will be able to take place as well, which will be the real indicator as to when footy seasons can begin.

Will be very interesting to see how many games the APFL want to fit into the season as well - an example, if we had everyone play each other twice and the season started June 13th, we’d be done by the last week of September if Saturday/Sunday finals were played.
This would also mean 14 matches without any byes though, which may be a stretch.

Another, more interesting way to go would be that everyone plays each other once, then the competition split into 2 groups based on their ladder placing (Group A 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th. Group B 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th) and everyone plays each other within their group. From there, the top team in each group plays the second team in the opposing group and the winners play off in the grand final.
This would ensure that everyone plays each other once in the initial round, and can only play a team twice (unless 2 teams from the same group meet in the GF), as well as giving every team 10 regular season games and making room for a bye at some point during the season.
Certainly an out of the box idea, but i think it’s a great opportunity to do something different for a year to keep things interesting in what will most likely be a shortened season.

Last Saturday in Sept is AFL GF if it happens, Host club could have a big day or small day.
magpieeagle
Reserves

Postby Greggy Gregginson » Wed May 06, 2020 7:10 pm

magpieeagle wrote:
Greggy Gregginson wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:

Last Saturday in Sept is AFL GF if it happens, Host club could have a big day or small day.

The AFL are talking about having a grand final as late as December.
Not saying it’ll necessarily happen that late, but if they’re talking about that, there’s virtually no chance, at least in my opinion, that it’ll be in September this year.
Greggy Gregginson
Rookie

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 07, 2020 8:42 am

football tragic wrote:So if games are allowed to be played early to mid June the APFL would wait until July to start???
That would be ridiculous in my opinion as a june start would mean more games played and more opportunity to gather money from sponsors etc.
What financial impacts have club encountered by missing 3 games thus far?
I think it maybe the clubs who have very highly paid players who refuse to play for smaller amounts that maybe posing the issue for some.

I think early June is out of the question, July is most likely.

You'd think it wouldn't matter how much money is getting thrown around as they wouldn't have to pay players if there hasn't been any games and at a guess the coaches would probably be content to get a little less given the smaller season.

Who really knows anyway, I guess we're all waiting for Nicola Spurrier to deliver the good news, although we've had 14 days of no new cases, we've only tested 63,000 people state wide for the whole pandemic.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 07, 2020 8:45 am

Greggy Gregginson wrote:
The AFL are talking about having a grand final as late as December.
Not saying it’ll necessarily happen that late, but if they’re talking about that, there’s virtually no chance, at least in my opinion, that it’ll be in September this year.

Safe to say that aint happening, The Cricket World Cup is currently scheduled to begin at the MCG on October 25 (which is a Sunday), so that will obviously come into play when working out a possible fixture.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 07, 2020 8:50 am

Greggy Gregginson wrote:

That's a great idea, as long as the teams continue with the points they've already accumulated.

It all comes down to how many rounds they can squeeze in once the restrictions are lifted, if the draw isn't evenly weighted, perhaps a top 5 or 6 should take place?

It's going to have to be a year of improvising and getting the most out whatever time is allocated, I think it if there's no crowds allowed though we may aswell put the cue back in the rack until next year unfortunately, clubs wont survive otherwise.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby football tragic » Thu May 07, 2020 8:59 am

If our state continue on the trend of 0 cases by early June would mean over 40 days of 0 cases and as stated by several Health Authorities once you get to 28 days you can say its eliminated, Obviously once border restrictions ease that can change but I cannot see that changing for a few months.
So if we are to continue our current 0 cases I wouldn't see why crowds of under 500 wouldn't be allowed at country football venues with social distancing, However there would be smaller limits inside the club rooms.
I still think he best model would be the 14 rounds with a sat/sun final series
football tragic
Rookie

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 07, 2020 9:34 am

football tragic wrote:If our state continue on the trend of 0 cases by early June would mean over 40 days of 0 cases and as stated by several Health Authorities once you get to 28 days you can say its eliminated, Obviously once border restrictions ease that can change but I cannot see that changing for a few months.
So if we are to continue our current 0 cases I wouldn't see why crowds of under 500 wouldn't be allowed at country football venues with social distancing, However there would be smaller limits inside the club rooms.
I still think he best model would be the 14 rounds with a sat/sun final series

With only 3% of the population tested I wouldn't say it's been eliminated, we are far better than anywhere else in the world it seems though considering we've offered testing for anyone that feels a need to be tested, but let's face it, at the best of times most blokes could be near dying and still can't be bothered going to the doctor.

Keep the borders closed IMO, although I reckon that's a crock of shit too, people are still moving freely across borders.

I don't think it matters if there's 500 or 1000 people, at most APFL games the crowd is pretty scattered and a lot watch from their car or in front of, but yeah, if they only have external bars and canteens it would stop people breaking social distancing protocols.

14 rounds would be the ideal number, as I've mentioned before, it would be good to squeeze in a midweek game or two aswell to if possible, it really only needs to be for the A Grade, just to get it to a 14 round season.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy