New Footy Season Format Options for 2020

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: New Footy Season Format Options for 2020

Postby Whos ya daddy » Fri May 08, 2020 5:31 pm

So looks like the June 13 date isnt going to happen. At best July 11 start gets us a 9 round with a late sept/early oct GF
Whos ya daddy

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Fri May 08, 2020 6:08 pm

locky801 wrote:
The Bedge wrote:They are only guidelines and it's been said stage 2 & 3 will be scoped out/fine tuned further in coming weeks.. let's not get our knickers twisted yet, plenty to play out - still got a whole month of May to go yet.

Next changes will be on or after June 8 which includes sports transition to competition without spectators with a maximum of 20 persons

Looks like I'm scoreboard assistant, guzzling coffee & banging out darts from 3m away.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby davideyy71 » Fri May 08, 2020 6:24 pm

Whos ya daddy wrote:So looks like the June 13 date isnt going to happen. At best July 11 start gets us a 9 round with a late sept/early oct GF

Call me optimistic but I disagree. As per South Australian Roadmap for Easing COVID-19 Restrictions: Step 2 from 8th of June 'Sport transition to competition without spectators' I see no reason competition can't start on June 13 for those clubs that wish to participate.
davideyy71
Mini-League

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby scottroo » Fri May 08, 2020 6:33 pm

Waiting on confirmation but it could be no spectators is for semi pro and professional sport

We share our ground with a dog walking area a playground and a bmx track. They might be full of people wearing footy team attire
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby The Bedge » Fri May 08, 2020 11:56 pm

No ones turning up to CLG games so don’t stress. 8) ;)
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Computer Crashed » Sat May 09, 2020 10:04 am

If clubs cant open their bar or cook their beloved BBQs etc etc to raise money there will be way too many clubs unable to afford the cost of putting a team on the park. Even with no match payments. I'm sure JK and co would be looking into it but i cant see the SAAFL getting under way sadly.
Computer Crashed
Reserves

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times
Grassroots Team: Moonta

Postby zedman » Sat May 09, 2020 10:39 am

Computer Crashed wrote:If clubs cant open their bar or cook their beloved BBQs etc etc to raise money there will be way too many clubs unable to afford the cost of putting a team on the park. Even with no match payments. I'm sure JK and co would be looking into it but i cant see the SAAFL getting under way sadly.

Where does it say clubs won’t be able to do that when it commences?
If you are looking at a late June start it coincides with everything being opened as per the stages. And note the third stage doesn’t have an actual date.
The league are not fools. They know what clubs need to operate.
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1077 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby tigerpie » Sat May 09, 2020 12:23 pm

zedman wrote:
Computer Crashed wrote:If clubs cant open their bar or cook their beloved BBQs etc etc to raise money there will be way too many clubs unable to afford the cost of putting a team on the park. Even with no match payments. I'm sure JK and co would be looking into it but i cant see the SAAFL getting under way sadly.

Where does it say clubs won’t be able to do that when it commences?
If you are looking at a late June start it coincides with everything being opened as per the stages. And note the third stage doesn’t have an actual date.
The league are not fools. They know what clubs need to operate.

Once footy starts clubs can set up the same as supermarkets.
Walk in walk out follow the dots so to speak.
No bar loitering but allow whatever's OK as far as numbers to be in the club.

Same with the BBQ.

Service may be slow but hey its better than nothing.

Sfl isn't such a problem with people bringing byo and hanging by their cars anyway ;)
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Dutchy » Sat May 09, 2020 1:54 pm

If we have another couple of weeks of no new cases I can see the stages being brought forward, it really is a suck and see situation.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby scottroo » Sat May 09, 2020 2:07 pm

Agree Dutchy
scottroo
League - Best 21

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat May 09, 2020 3:38 pm

Heard AA this morning play comments from the premier when asked about local footy. Late June/early July looks to be the date if everything goes to plan. It would be the same time the borders look like opening back up.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby The Bedge » Sat May 09, 2020 8:06 pm

Hi folks

Please see the below media release and statement from SANFL CEO, Jake Parkinson, regarding a return to formal training on 18 May and SANFL’s Return to Play Roadmap – this applies to SANFL and Community Football of which we are an affiliate member.

The following statement include key considerations for SANFL Community Clubs and Leagues as we prepare for the recommencement of formal training in a safe and healthy manner from Monday, 18 May.

In addition, The Adelaide Footy League Executive & Management Team are assessing the timelines anticipated to synchronise returning to full competition in conjunction with what we hope to be a return to trade for Licensed Clubs.

That is to say, whilst we have a range of dates in which we could list as Round 1, you should assume a high degree of confidence that we will make that assessment with a goal to give every Adelaide Footy League Club the greatest opportunity to resume a footy life as best you have come to know it. Those answers are still being considered in concert with Clubs SA but are at the forefront of our focus in the coming days and weeks.

In short, we have time on our side to get this right with all the considerations needed to make it work for you and your club on and off the field.

Regards
John Kernahan | Chief Executive Officer

From the update sent out this morning - particularly the bolded part, the way I read that it seems the AdFL realise pretty well the importance of clubs needing to sell food/booze and sounds like they will align the season to start with restrictions lifting for liquor licencing.

Fair to say, whilst they'd be keen to start the season ASAP, they're not dummies - not often the league acts outside the interests of the clubs, or is proven wrong on their decision making.

Based off that guess we should be looking at the roadmap for for easing restrictions, currently the licensed venues wont be lifted until step 3 which at a guess would give us a late June/early July kick off for round 1?

So in effect two more months of sitting on our arses haha! Lovely.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Trader » Sat May 09, 2020 8:12 pm

Yeah that was my take on it too.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out over the next 4 weeks.

A lot of cricket associations have said they are willing to work with a potential delayed start to cricket to allow footy to work in a reasonable season, but I can imagine that goodwill from the cricket boys will dry up very quickly if the state is saying footy can start but the league is waiting until clubroom bars can open.

I for one would expect its better to get footy playing as soon as SA Health give the all clear, and if that means clubs are selling from eskys in open bars similar to a number of the parklands clubs for the first couple of rounds, then so be it.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby The Bedge » Sat May 09, 2020 8:38 pm

Clubs would still need a liquor licence to sell wouldn’t they? Won’t get one until restrictions lift and isn’t worth risking the fine without one.

How long would it take to prep a deck for cricket? Hard wicket obviously easy they can change over night. Perhaps grade clubs will make their ovals unavailable after xxx date to prep and ATCA clubs will have to just perhaps work something out.

July start would have a finish of end of Sept so possibly two weeks before cricket season.. clubs who don’t make finals can start preparing start of Sept.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Q. » Sat May 09, 2020 9:05 pm

Trader wrote:Yeah that was my take on it too.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out over the next 4 weeks.

A lot of cricket associations have said they are willing to work with a potential delayed start to cricket to allow footy to work in a reasonable season, but I can imagine that goodwill from the cricket boys will dry up very quickly if the state is saying footy can start but the league is waiting until clubroom bars can open.

I for one would expect its better to get footy playing as soon as SA Health give the all clear, and if that means clubs are selling from eskys in open bars similar to a number of the parklands clubs for the first couple of rounds, then so be it.

Yep, it's better for the majority that swathes of young men and women are able to play football, sooner rather than later. There, of course, will be a few selfish clubs who demand the need to make cash - to pay exorbitant amounts to players - come first and will seek to delay any start that doesn't allow them to do so.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby scottroo » Sat May 09, 2020 9:38 pm

IMO the Marshall Government will lift restrictions on bars etc earlier then the current plan, paving the way for a late June start or early July start
scottroo
League - Best 21

Postby tigerpie » Sat May 09, 2020 9:48 pm

Two weeks minimum to get turf wickets ready.
Most should be ok as they've had a decent rest and should have decent grass cover.
End of October cricket start maybe?

Lots of don't knows at this point.

If Victoria don't get it right soon who knows?
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Trader » Sat May 09, 2020 10:47 pm

The Bedge wrote:Clubs would still need a liquor licence to sell wouldn’t they? Won’t get one until restrictions lift and isn’t worth risking the fine without one.

Agree don't sell without one, disagree they'll be hard to get. We are talking about at a time when sa health have signed off on playing sport, in an outdoor environmennt there wouldn't be large gatherings where a 4m2 rule comes into place, even the 20 person rule will be higher by then. An esky under a pop up tent, grab your beer and move away, should be more than doable.

The Bedge wrote:How long would it take to prep a deck for cricket? Hard wicket obviously easy they can change over night. Perhaps grade clubs will make their ovals unavailable after xxx date to prep and ATCA clubs will have to just perhaps work something out.

Might end up with a scenario where thebby oval is hosting a heap of games come prelim and GF final weekends and all semis need to be completed by the end of September.
That would be another interesting point for the league, will they try and stagger grand finals over three weekends like normal to host as many as possible at thebby oval? Or will they forgo that revenue and accept they might end up with a bank of grand finals over a super weekend at thebby.
Div 4 & 4R friday night, Div 3&3R from 9:15am, D2&2R from 12:15 and then Div 1& 1R under lights saturday night?

They'd probably end up with crowd issues if people are on the cans for 12 hours straight.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun May 10, 2020 9:16 am

If you start early July and go through to the end of September for 12-13 weeks there won’t be many issues unless it’s a SACA venue and you could play it as per discussions at the moment. If you did have issues grounds like St Marys, Thebby and a heap of SANFL grounds all without cricket pitches will all be available.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby jo172 » Sun May 10, 2020 8:05 pm

SANFL salary cap at $0 (excluding jobseeker) is an interesting discussion point.

If you shut down clearances there's no real reason why it couldn't work?
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League